Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fawning deference posted:

Surprised about the conflict on Hughes - do people not think he'll be a PPG player? If so, why is it so early to select an 18 year old PPG center? Or 70 pt center who could get up 85-90 pts in 2 or 3 years? Am I overestimating his production?

I think most people assume he will be but there's players around that aren't much older than him that are PPG players now. Aho for example is just a few years older and is a known elite player.

Hughes should end up being that but it might take him a few years to get to the level Aho is already at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
While there are a couple wingers I could also grab at this position, I'm going to be selecting Mitchell Marner. He's 22, coming off of an incredibly impressive season, and while he may not break 100 pts (though I hope he does), he definitely will totally throw a wrench into my cap situation!

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Ignore me fixed my problem getting ready for a gimmick pick

stab fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 15, 2019

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Well, everybody's taking centers, so clearly the most logical thing for me to do is to take a defenseman! I'm taking the best defenseman in the NHL with my first pick for the third year in a row. That's right, it's Victor Hedman.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

JOHNNY GAUDREAU

let's FUCKIN GO

LA KANGS, COWARDS

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Yeah I said that thinking he was 40-50 for some reason

Maybe Reinhart or Nico would be a better example as first forward

He's definitely a tier above where they were coming in based on his USHL production. He's in the Matthews/MacKinnon tier in production (2 PPG in the USHL over two seasons) which aims him at 60 points if healthy. 50-60 with an upper limit of 70ish is where I see him.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Due Up:

Jonathan Fisk (12:57 EST)
stab
WeaponX
VOTE1
i am the bird

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I’ll go high potential and take Rasmus Dahlin.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
So many choices ugh

Being a member of HAS, this hurts

John Tavares

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ginette Reno posted:

I think most people assume he will be but there's players around that aren't much older than him that are PPG players now. Aho for example is just a few years older and is a known elite player.

Hughes should end up being that but it might take him a few years to get to the level Aho is already at.

I'm going for a longer game I guess? And I think people are under-estimating Hughes, I think he gets to PPG by the 20-21 season. I tend to draft these teams young, fast, and cheap. I totally get that guys like Marner and Aho are super young and already elite players, but again, I did want a center, and the only other center I considered taking was Schiefele, but I'd rather have the 18 year-old on an ELC who could wind up being the same type of player. Even if he's just below as a 70-pt player, that still works for me.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

stab posted:

So many choices ugh

Being a member of HAS, this hurts

John Tavares

that there are no Canadiens worth taking in the first round?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I’ll go high potential and take Rasmus Dahlin.

That's earlier than I was expecting for him but this is where he deserves to go.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I’ll probably regret it when I look at my 1-2 centers but he’s got a higher ceiling than anyone else left

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The San Jose Sharks select with the 21st pick Artemi Panarin

I heard he likes the ocean or something....

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going for a longer game I guess? And I think people are under-estimating Hughes, I think he gets to PPG by the 20-21 season. I tend to draft these teams young, fast, and cheap. I totally get that guys like Marner and Aho are super young and already elite players, but again, I did want a center, and the only other center I considered taking was Schiefele, but I'd rather have the 18 year-old on an ELC who could wind up being the same type of player. Even if he's just below as a 70-pt player, that still works for me.

I still don't understand the logic of picking an 18-year-old who might in three years turn out to be as good as the 21-to-25 year olds you passed on (some of whom are still available for some reason).

I took Yak City in the early third round back in the first draft and it might be the worst pick I've ever made. Never again.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think he could be as good as those guys within 2 years. The logic is he makes 925K for the next 3 years and I think I can get an established elite guy with my next pick anyway. I also thought SAS valued Hughes more and that he would go by the 20-25 picks of the first round and I wanted him on my team? I guess I would take Marner if I could do it again but I was at work and wanted Hughes and thought taking a potential franchise player who's only 18 and on an ELC wasn't a terrible waste of a pick.

Also Yakupov was the weakest 1st overall in recent memory. Jack Hughes is not going to be a bust. There's no way.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 15, 2019

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Drunk Canuck posted:

JOHNNY GAUDREAU

let's FUCKIN GO

LA KANGS, COWARDS

drat i wanted to make a team of entirely short people so now I've gotta rethink my gimmick

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Yeah I get the rationale, but except for the ELC factor, Aho (for example) is literally already the center you describe wanting Hughes to evolve into.

I don't think picking him in the first round is that big of a deal, Matthews went in the middle of the first of his draft year in that iteration of the thread, but I do think you passed on a lot of better options for the immediate and arguably long-term future. Not that "long term" matters in this draft beyond what-if scenarios or someone decides to sim multiple seasons.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Sent a message to VOTE1 to pick whenever he's ready. Time zone difference complicates things.

IATB will be up at 2:56 EST

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
For some reason, I had this starting later this week. Whoops.

Detroit takes Elias Petterson

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
El Gallinero Gros (5:30 EST)
Yaya
mentholmoose
Zodijackylite
Boomer the Cannon

VOTE1 owes one pick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Calgary Flames select Alexander Ovechkin

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm checking in late after work here but uhhh.... what the hell happened at the top of the draft?

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

The Winnipeg Jets select Brayden Point because hes pretty good at playing hockey.

VOTE1 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 15, 2019

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Calgary Flames select Alexander Ovechkin

gently caress you

I'll take Patrice Bergeron in the first for the second straight year I guess

mentholmoose is up

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hurry up ya scrubs I want to make my bad picks tonight

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ThinkTank posted:

I'm checking in late after work here but uhhh.... what the hell happened at the top of the draft?

Hoot the Owl happened :allears:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

I dunno but I’m not complaining. The gimmick this year will be to pick a good team.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

The gimmick this year will be to pick a good team.

meh. seen it before. 2/10 gimmick imo

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Hey I'm gonna take one of the best two-way centers in hockey, a multiple time 30 goal scorer and extreme fancy stats darling, Sean Couturier.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mentholmoose posted:

Hey I'm gonna take one of the best two-way centers in hockey, a multiple time 30 goal scorer and extreme fancy stats darling, Sean Couturier.

I thought he was extremely overrated his first few years in the league but he has really grown into a good player, as much as I hate to admit it.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

mentholmoose posted:

How am I supposed to pick him for the third year in a row now? :mad:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The Washington Capitals select Mikko Rantanen. Age 22, PPG+ for two years now, and a dominant offensive player in general.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boomer the Cannon you're up don't take my guy

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Oh hey we might get through the first round tonight, not bad.

Next up:
Boomer the Cannon (until 9:39 PM EST)
Good Soldier Svejk
ThinkTank
Thufir (x2)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/sI539jG.mp4

David Pastrnak has sick dangles and a sicker contract. He's definitely the sort of player who can take over a game on his own (not to say he doesn't have help) and will be good for years to come.

Some people say you can't build around a winger but gently caress that look at those dangles

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Honestly I'm surprised it took Pastrnak this long to go. He's a lock for 30+ and 80ish points, young, and on arguably the best deal in the NHL relative to what he does. only knock on him is he's a winger I guess.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Next up:
ThinkTank (until 11:40 PM EST)
Thufir (x2)
ThinkTank
Good Soldier Svejk

Skipped:
Boomer the Cannon (x1)

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
11:40 AM :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

This did not happen

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 16, 2019