Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

It's that time of year again, so I'm just gonna steal last years OP with minor changes

T-Bone posted:

Round Seven of our offseason redrafting of the NHL. 31 goons assemble to ignore veterans and draft teenagers. At least three will draft gimmick teams of NHLers who look like Spielberg Era Nazis or guys with two consecutive vowels in their name. Many more will be consensus picked.

Here are the rules as posted before: The draft order will snake and be randomly chosen. We use a Google Spreadsheet to keep track of picks and you can make your own pages in there to show devotion to your fake teams if you so desire. As with all pursuits that combine nerdery and sports, this requires some time investment and as the game goes on, perhaps some research to find players to fit your drafting plan; expect to spend a month or two with your good buddies in this thread. Despite the serious element, this is all about fun (and escaping the miserable emptiness of the hockey offseason). We will do our best to discuss picks and explain what we are doing and it would be cool if some other folks would do the same. We will post obscure advanced metrics to support our reaches and videos to support our vague feels.

RULES
1. Players you select must be the "property" of an NHL team. For instance, you can draft recently drafted guys like Jack Hughes. This rule seems to have always had a lot of leeway, with people drafting UFAs and various unsigned players. I think it makes sense to do it as, they must have been the property of an NHL team, played the past season in the NHL, or are in the process of coming to the NHL (i.e. the still laughably current Ilya Kovalchuk situation although I guess he signed. Another example would be like if Jagr tries to come back again).

2. The salary cap for 2019-2020 is $81.5 million. The cap floor is $60.2 million. If you gently caress up the cap we'll laugh at you but we'll still need you next year because this forum is dying.

3. The draft timer only runs from 10:00 AM EST to 10:00 PM EST. It is snake format (so at pick #31, that team also picks #32 and so on). Each drafting team has a 2 hour window during this period and that 2 hours rolls over - if your pick comes on the clock at 9 PM, you have until 11 AM the next day to make your choice. If someone fails to draft within that time, their pick is skipped. They will be auto-skipped until they return to make whatever picks are still due of them. You can pick outside of this window as long as it is your pick, but the timer will not be running on anyone. If you know you are unable to be around to make your pick, there are always several people around that you can send a short list of players to and they will pick for you.

4. We will be selecting 23 players and 1 head coach. You need to take at least 12 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 2 goalies. Head coaches can be literally anyone.

Thanks T-bone!

Claim your team now!

EAST
Toronto Maple Leafs - eXXon
Ottawa Senators - Jordan7hm
Montreal Canadiens - stab
Buffalo Sabres - Jonathan Fisk
Boston Bruins - Jamwad Hilder
Florida Panthers - EL BROMANCE
Tampa Bay Lightning - Kilza
Carolina Hurricanes - Aye Doc
Washington Capitals - Zodijackylite
New Jersey Devils - fawning deference
Pittsburgh Penguins - Ginette Reno
Philadelphia Flyers - mentholmoose
New York Islanders - Mamma Lucia
New York Rangers - Teemu Pokemon
Columbus Blue Jackets - ThinkTank
Detroit Red Wings - i am the bird

WEST
Winnipeg Jets - VOTE1
Nashville Predators - Thufir
Chicago Blackhawks - Yaya
St. Louis Blues - HootTheOwl
Calgary Flames - El Gallinero Gros
Colorado Avalanche - Kuule hain nussivan
Minnesota Wild - Good Soldier Svejk
Vancouver Canucks - JawKnee
Edmonton Oilers - Boomer the Cannon
Anaheim Ducks - FBS
Dallas Stars - corn on the cop
Los Angeles Kings - Drunk Canuck
San José Sharks - WeaponX
Arizona Coyotes - T-Bone
Vegas Golden Knights - lazerwolf

Past Drafts
2013: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amj_wGJYwFRYdEtqcm5pTXRlcmY5Mm1CRzE0NC1pVVE&usp=sharing
2014: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18GPrsdczGD_5Ltddnu9_1hi08ICYdqW-VYet7m12gdw/edit#gid=0
2015: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a80PmyvcOnXidTbKzsd0mkxjVKIP1LoiHcXtMuUMKjU/edit#gid=0
2016: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1USAL3-EVziJcfWq-CTtAQETjt5AFZCGFXdOc8PpsFR4/edit#gid=0
2017: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HpjAH9GXLGBV_UrSMokwzh1wMwj9gualaX6fvrdyA68/edit
2018: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZXbrSmiLyeQv4HsJ2nYdeQabNxDSUKk2LcMcoL0hsZI/edit#gid=0

Ergo Propter Hog fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

:siren:Draft Order:siren:
1. St. Louis Blues
2. Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Arizona Coyotes
4. Carolina Hurricanes
5. Dallas Stars
6. Boston Bruins
7. Toronto Maple Leafs
8. New York Rangers
9. Florida Panthers
10. Ottawa Senators
11. New Jersey Devils
12. New York Islanders
13. Vegas Golden Knights
14. Anaheim Ducks
15. Colorado Avalanche
16. Vancouver Canucks
17. Tampa Bay Lightning
18. Los Angeles Kings
19. Buffalo Sabres
20. Montreal Canadiens
21. San Jose Sharks
22. Winnipeg Jets
23. Detroit Red Wings
24. Calgary Flames
25. Chicago Blackhawks
26. Philadelphia Flyers
27. Washington Capitals
28. Edmonton Oilers
29. Minnesota Wild
30. Columbus Blue Jackets
31. Nashville Predators

:siren: Draft starts Monday, July 15th :siren:

:siren: Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JOZfvDBowWzNLrGsSePJgCSQe9kTj2QQIGHF4JYjWqI/edit?usp=sharing :siren:

Ergo Propter Hog fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 14, 2019

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I will take the Rangers because I've already ruined the Red Wings so I might as well go two for two

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
thanks for creating the thread pal

GM corn on the cop selects the Dallas Stars

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll do Columbus again I suppose

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I will be the Calgary Flames

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In again. I’ll take Ottawa this time.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Tronna is miiine

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I'll claim Nashville again :toot:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

me hurricanes

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I'll switch it up this year and select the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

I will tentatively take the Islanders, unless someone else who wants them comes around.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sabres, thanks

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
gimme dem yotes

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I'll take Vegas!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I will ruin the Wild again with two way players who can't score

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Time for me to defend my title and show bergevin how to properly build the Montreal Canadiens

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll claim the Panthers. “drat!”, said nobody.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Less than a day and we're already halfway full, good job guys!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll do the Penguins again

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I'll do the Flyers.

Let's go 9th place in the East!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Back as The Los Angeles Kings

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Devils

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Give me the Red Wings so I can do a Steve Yzerman

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'll take the Caps

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think the first pick is more muddied than previous years - I think there are three players who could conceivably go first and I would have a hard time deciding who to choose if I got the pick.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kucherov, McDavid, and Tyler Johnson?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fawning deference posted:

I think the first pick is more muddied than previous years - I think there are three players who could conceivably go first and I would have a hard time deciding who to choose if I got the pick.

Kucherov is 4 years older than Mcdavid and there's not much difference in them offensively. Not sure you can really justify taking him over Connor given that.

Also kinda curious who your third player is you put in the same list as those two. Crosby? He's old.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

McDavid, McMichael, McAvoy?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Lucic, Eriksson, Neal: The Western Canadian Wonders

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The three players I would personally consider (with cap hit/contract length/age/performance all relevant variables) are McDavid, Crosby, and MacKinnon. Crosby is old but he's still year after year a dominant 200-foot player and he just had a year of almost 100 points despite missing time. And he makes 8.7m. MacKinnon has the best contract in the league, is young, dominant, and signed for another four years at his rate.

I know we aren't supposed to discuss players, but when we're talking about the first pick and/or guys who are undoubtedly going top ten, it's fun to think about who the consensus #1 is.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Lucic, Eriksson, Neal: The Western Canadian Wonders

Hey stop revealing my first 3 picks!!! :mad:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
mcdavid is the best player on the planet and if he doesn't go 1.1 then whoever passes on him should be autobanned

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It's at least feasible to take maybe the 2nd to 4th best player on the planet for half the money.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's really easy to stay under the cap in this draft.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kucherov is an acceptable choice imo

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Kucherov is an acceptable choice imo

If you want to lose in the first round!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I will draft the Bruins again