Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Turns out I can just go and pick one up on Monday, probably going to do that rather than driving an hour each way to Microcenter. The tech didn’t mention a cost associated with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Turns out I can just go and pick one up on Monday, probably going to do that rather than driving an hour each way to Microcenter. The tech didn’t mention a cost associated with it.

The ONT is likely the demarc. Can you please post a picture of both pieces? Is the ONT inside a telco box? I would press for it to be free if it's not as I am really shocked they would have consumers touch anything with fiber.

If they try to charge you ask them where the demarc is, if it's the ONT then it's not your responsibility and you're doing them a favor setting it up for them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The ONT is the modem basically, the TP is where the line comes into the house.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The ONT is the modem basically, the TP is where the line comes into the house.

I know what the ONT is I'm surprised they let consumers screw with fiber. It's so easy to make a dirty connection which you have no ability to clean. (I do datacenter level computer touching for a living.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

I know what the ONT is I'm surprised they let consumers screw with fiber. It's so easy to make a dirty connection which you have no ability to clean. (I do datacenter level computer touching for a living.)

Hence why most fiber companies don't. AT&T uses EAP Auth for their ONT, Google Fiber does something similar. Yes, its easy proxied by knowledgeable people, but your average person won't be able to.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Hence why most fiber companies don't. AT&T uses EAP Auth for their ONT, Google Fiber does something similar. Yes, its easy proxied by knowledgeable people, but your average person won't be able to.

Yeah my frontier fios comes straight off the pole down the wall and into the telco box w/ ONT inside. It's "locked" but it's trivial to open. The handoff is coaxial for TV (moca?) + rj45 ethernet. I use both with no cpe beyond the ONT unless you count the cablecard inside my tivo.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

H110Hawk posted:

Here you are allowed to do whatever the hell you want to the user side (everything before the user-side plug is offlimits) as long as you use the original ONT, be it in discrete or sfp(most common) variant. You can buy new patches on amazon if you want shorter or longer distance, buy a new modem that has a sfp cage or buy a media converter and use whatever modem you want, etc.

The APC cut (identified by the neon green connector on most cables) used by xPON deployments on the user-side connector is explicitly designed to limit/remove insertion backreflection issues. As long as the patch is UPC/APC (and not the usual UPC/UPC) there won't be any issues replacing the one provided by your ISP with one bought from amazon.

(I do datacenter level computer touching for a living. Used to do datacenter fiber pull/terminations when i was younger.)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 14, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So I have a very powerful home PC and I travel with some regularity and have been toying with the idea of buying a laptop so I can play games/edit photos+video/etc when not at home. Assuming I have access to very good internet at my home as well as where I'll be remotely, is it in any way feasible to actually just remotely access my home PC (SSH?) and use it from a laptop? Would this just be way too laggy or otherwise impractical? Is this something whereby I could set up a VM and remotely access it? Not thinking about playing twitch shooters or something but card games or story based single player RPG kinda stuff, and editing using adobe LR or Davinci Resolve. I've used windows remote access to help family with computer stuff and it's been less than the ideal experience but figure maybe someone has developed a better remote desktop solution.

It would be great to be able to leverage the hardware from the home PC and not have to look at the really high end laptops.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

So I have a very powerful home PC and I travel with some regularity and have been toying with the idea of buying a laptop so I can play games/edit photos+video/etc when not at home. Assuming I have access to very good internet at my home as well as where I'll be remotely, is it in any way feasible to actually just remotely access my home PC (SSH?) and use it from a laptop? Would this just be way too laggy or otherwise impractical? Is this something whereby I could set up a VM and remotely access it? Not thinking about playing twitch shooters or something but card games or story based single player RPG kinda stuff, and editing using adobe LR or Davinci Resolve. I've used windows remote access to help family with computer stuff and it's been less than the ideal experience but figure maybe someone has developed a better remote desktop solution.

It would be great to be able to leverage the hardware from the home PC and not have to look at the really high end laptops.

Look into Parsec. It's been the most successful out of the options I've tried (Steam, Moonlight) for games.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

VelociBacon posted:

What is your home wan upload speed? Anything less than a stable 15Mbps will mean either dropped frames or screen degradation. Input lag will be an issue too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

GigaFuzz posted:

Look into Parsec. It's been the most successful out of the options I've tried (Steam, Moonlight) for games.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

SlowBloke posted:

What is your home wan upload speed? Anything less than a stable 15Mbps will mean either dropped frames or screen degradation. Input lag will be an issue too.

I get a stable 15Mbps but probably not much more. I haven't done sustained testing.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Is there some way/program to track/record if/when my WiFi network is down? I’m having weird issues where the network pauses or disconnects for about 10-15 seconds at random. It’s happening on multiple devices at multiple different ranges. I’d like to confirm it’s the network though and not the internet service itself; I suspect it is because I’ve seen the windows network icon show no signal when it happens and I happen to be around.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

GruntyThrst posted:

Is there some way/program to track/record if/when my WiFi network is down? I’m having weird issues where the network pauses or disconnects for about 10-15 seconds at random. It’s happening on multiple devices at multiple different ranges. I’d like to confirm it’s the network though and not the internet service itself; I suspect it is because I’ve seen the windows network icon show no signal when it happens and I happen to be around.

I've been using Karen's Net Monitor (windows, https://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptnetmon ) for that for the past several years, by having my it ping something on a static IP I expect to be at home and on the Wi-Fi at all times (A Chromecast Audio, in my case.)

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

VelociBacon posted:

I get a stable 15Mbps but probably not much more. I haven't done sustained testing.

I would suggest doing some extensive upload testing before investing time or money for this project. If you don't have any idea on your limits you might end up chasing ghosts when your line is acting up.

with a stable 15 you will need to use something that steams h264/h265 (like shadowplay/moonlight or stream casting), 30-50 you could go uncompressed and just use vnc.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 14, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

I would suggest doing some extensive upload testing before investing time or money for this project. If you don't have any idea on your limits you might end up chasing ghosts when your line is acting up.

with a stable 15 you will need to use something that steams h264/h265 (like shadowplay/moonlight or stream casting), 30-50 you could go uncompressed and just use vnc.

poo poo that's cool actually. I was expecting to be told that it's not possible etc. How powerful would the remote hardware have to be? I would expect not really that powerful but I could see there being some kind of CPU bottleneck?

I do have unlimited bandwidth cap so would be cool to not have to compress any more than needed.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

VelociBacon posted:

poo poo that's cool actually. I was expecting to be told that it's not possible etc. How powerful would the remote hardware have to be? I would expect not really that powerful but I could see there being some kind of CPU bottleneck?

I do have unlimited bandwidth cap so would be cool to not have to compress any more than needed.

Just checked, Win10 RDP is using H264 under the bonnet. You can do it software or hardware -accelerated encoding(on the powerful host). If you have a recent gpu(with nvenc or vce)/cpu(wit quicksync) you might want to set these two local GPO settings https://social.technet.microsoft.co...rum=winserverTS so the gpu hardware is used to offload some cpu.

As long as the remote (weak) host hardware can do H264 decode in hardware you should be set.

A recent article i've found (https://bramwolfs.com/2019/03/07/rdp-protocol-improvements-in-windows-10/)states that one demo session is eating up about 12mbps so you should be alright with the values you posted.

You wil need to set up a vpn on your router, along with a dyndns to not having to reconfigure your mobile devices everytime.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 14, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Just checked, Win10 RDP is using H264 under the bonnet. You can do it software or hardware -accelerated encoding(on the powerful host). If you have a recent gpu(with nvenc or vce)/cpu(wit quicksync) you might want to set these two local GPO settings https://social.technet.microsoft.co...rum=winserverTS so the gpu hardware is used to offload some cpu.

As long as the remote (weak) host hardware can do H264 decode in hardware you should be set.

A recent article i've found (https://bramwolfs.com/2019/03/07/rdp-protocol-improvements-in-windows-10/)states that one demo session is eating up about 12mbps so you should be alright with the values you posted.

You wil need to set up a vpn on your router, along with a dyndns to not having to reconfigure your mobile devices everytime.

Thanks I'll look into all of this. I use PIA and my router could be DD-WRT enabled I just never really had the impetus previously. I suppose it should be easy to VPN the router through PIA.

I have a 2080ti so should be able to change those GPO settings. Thanks for the help everyone.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

This company (municipal broadband for a small city) has desktop ONTs now, they used to have wall-mounted ones. They actually expect you to unplug and return it yourself at end of service.

How so on the dirty connection? Do you mean literally making the cable ends dirty so the light doesn’t go through clearly?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How so on the dirty connection? Do you mean literally making the cable ends dirty so the light doesn’t go through clearly?
Dirty as dusty/oily or misaligned to the point light doesn’t shine correctly. In that case the link won’t work for poo poo. If your gpon link is terminated indoor it’s pretty rare, if it’s terminated outdoors it’s not impossible

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

This company (municipal broadband for a small city) has desktop ONTs now, they used to have wall-mounted ones. They actually expect you to unplug and return it yourself at end of service.

Yeah dirty connectors (oil from fingers, dust, and other contaminants) make for poor connections. If you get it on the cable it's easily cleaned with rubbing alcohol and lint free cloth, we always used Kim Wipes, but even a paper towel is going to be good enough for these run lengths and speeds. This however won't clean the female side of the connector if you have jammed this grime into it. They make specialized cleaners for that, or you can quarter to half-rear end it by jamming the cleaned cable back in, cleaning, repeat.

I extrapolated my single anecdotal experience with fiber to the home into how it must be done everywhere. In my defense I'm an American and it's kind of our thing. I personally would much rather be handed much more durable copper and have the isp responsible for media conversion at my premises than worry about the marginally more delicate fiber. (I also have had bad experiences with fiber/copper media converters.)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don’t shove a UPC connector into an APC socket - if you’re using GPON then it’s most likely SC APC single-mode.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What do people like for a UPS these days? Just looking for something I can hook 2-3 Synology NAS units to. My impression is that CyberPower is not so good and APC is(?)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

They both have unit failures but I mostly use cyberpower because they're a little bit cheaper and the batteries are easier to replace (well, APC just bundles them together into a cartridge and charges you extra for the convenience, you can unbundle them and replace, I won't buy a cartridge for more than the batteries in it cost). I've got 9 or 10 cyberpowers and they've been really solid as long as the batteries hold up.

I think this is the smallest unit with AVR (you want that):
https://smile.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP685AVRG-System-Outlets-Compact/dp/B00095W91O/

I have two of the older model of those and they're pretty solid.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I’m in the market for a new router because the old one’s been acting shifty lately. There’s a prime day deal on the TP-LINK Archer A20: it’s $140 instead of the usual $185.

I live in a two story townhouse (haven’t the faintest idea of the square footage) so its a bigger space than an apartment but smaller than a house. Is that router a good fit or would one of the cheaper models serve me just fine?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Maybe not relevant for home users, but APC sell warranty packs for their UPSes that take them to six years in total for the UPS and battery. So if we're buying a ~£2500 Smart-UPS Online it costs us maybe £70 to add the warranty on, for a unit that is probably going to need a new battery within that six year period, and where battery packs cost over £200. I doubt we could even ship an old battery back for disposal for less than £70, so it's a total no brainer of a purchase.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crosspost from the Product Recommendation thread in PYF.

I. M. Gei posted:

I need a new wifi... box? Modem? Whatever, something that provides wifi to my house to replace this:

Pretty sure it’s a new wifi router I need.

I got a Linksys VELOP AC3900 that came with a couple of booster things at Best Buy because a guy there recommended it. I live in a one-floor house, maybe 2000 or 3000 sq ft with a basic internet service plan and a bunch of devices I need wifi for (2 tablets, 2 iPhones, 2 computers, gaming systems, one Amazon Echo (so far), a Roomba vacuum, and a few other things). Did I make a good buy, or is there something better?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 15, 2019

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Does anyone know a good switch that is capable of port spanning/mirroring (homelab stuff)? It looks like Ubiquiti switches might be an option in the OP but I'm having a hard time tracking down a sheet that details which models have the feature vs which don't.

alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

Is anyone reliably using the Archer C9 USB 3 port for NAS, particularly Time Machine. I was for a while with a 2.5" drive which did not have its own power supply. It was unreliable and I eventually stopped using it. There is since then updated firmware for the C9 and I've just purchased a desktop USB drive and I'm wondering if I should use the C9 again or buy a Raspberry Pi 4 and share the drive through that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Ubiquiti unifi switch ports support switching(standard), aggregation (active lacp) and mirroring

FungiCap posted:

Does anyone know a good switch that is capable of port spanning/mirroring (homelab stuff)? It looks like Ubiquiti switches might be an option in the OP but I'm having a hard time tracking down a sheet that details which models have the feature vs which don't.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FungiCap posted:

Or if you really hate yourself, others, grab a used HP managed switch off ebay.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
Thanks guys!

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

GruntyThrst posted:

I’m in the market for a new router because the old one’s been acting shifty lately. There’s a prime day deal on the TP-LINK Archer A20: it’s $140 instead of the usual $185.

I live in a two story townhouse (haven’t the faintest idea of the square footage) so its a bigger space than an apartment but smaller than a house. Is that router a good fit or would one of the cheaper models serve me just fine?

Non technical review: I picked up the a20 about a month ago. I have a one story house that’s about 1600 square feet. No problems with range or speeds, it seems to work great. I had some problems getting devices to connect but I wasn’t using the WPS button. Once I realized that was there it was smooth sailing.

The UI took me a bit to get used too. There’s a stand-alone app, I recommend just logging into the UI.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I just got a TP-Link Archer T4U adapter for my desktop, and it looks like it works really well - except for the first couple of minutes when I power up my desktop, where it drops network connections left and right. After a those intermittent hick-ups, it works just fine.

Is this regular behaviour for USB adapters? It's definitely something I can live with, and I'm not really interested in "fixing" it if it involves :effort:, but I am a little curious why it's doing it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

I got a Linksys VELOP AC3900 that came with a couple of booster things at Best Buy because a guy there recommended it. I live in a one-floor house, maybe 2000 or 3000 sq ft with a basic internet service plan and a bunch of devices I need wifi for (2 tablets, 2 iPhones, 2 computers, gaming systems, one Amazon Echo (so far), a Roomba vacuum, and a few other things). Did I make a good buy, or is there something better?
As far as mesh routers go I think the Velop is the best option. I did plenty of comparison shopping and I've been extremely happy with the system I set up for my parents' house.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
This is probably a long shot, but worth a try.

I'm running some POE cameras via a pair of media converters (POE over Coaxial cable). The data come through just fine, until the cameras turn on their IR LEDs for nighttime use. Then, seemingly randomly, the camera feed will completely drop out due to dropped packets or some other sort of network failure. I mean randomly in that it'll do it sometimes, and not others. The problem doesn't manifest after the LEDs are on, it either happens within 10-15 seconds, or the camera will stay online from dusk til dawn. I can't seem to recreate the problem on the bench reliably, as it seems to come and go at will. It NEVER happens when the LEDs are off.

When the issue occurs, I can still ping the camera, and it doesn't go offline. I can still access the http-side login and change settings. However, the live web-side video stream completely falls apart with corrupted frames and repeated frames, color tint, and just general failure. It's not a purely power issue, because it doesn't get worse with longer cables, and I can make the issue occur with a relatively short run (25') one day, but not on a VERY long cable (500m) the next. If I crank down the bitrate on the camera, I can get it to go away. The RTSP stream also dies, due to the same issues.

I've got a bunch of Wireshark packet data, and here's the general gist of the packets:
When things are working, I get a steady stream of TCP packets with length 1514, from port 80 to 55864. Every once in a while, I'll get a single malformed packet, or a couple of "TCP segment of reassembled PDU" messages.

When things break, I get basically nothing but TCP segments of reassembled PDU, Reassembly errors due to new fragments overlapping old data (retransmission?) errors, and loads of TCP Duplicate ACK messages.

Any thoughts on what the hell is going on? I'm thinking a noisy power supply on the LED side of things must be causing some sort of error in the embedded TCP Stack, but I don't understand why the problem isn't made better by shorter cables, or why it doesn't happen reliably.

If anyone is a real network guru and wants to check out the Wireshark files, I can upload them. If there's a better thread, I'll move this over.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Can anyone suggest a network diagram software free for me? My dream program is something that I can create devices in, connect cables, then have an output summarizing the point to point connections showing device names and port numbers. Not sure if something like this exists but I am trying to troubleshoot an enterprise network and I haven't done any real work in the industry.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

stump collector posted:

Can anyone suggest a network diagram software free for me? My dream program is something that I can create devices in, connect cables, then have an output summarizing the point to point connections showing device names and port numbers. Not sure if something like this exists but I am trying to troubleshoot an enterprise network and I haven't done any real work in the industry.

draw.io ?

I mean most ppl I've seen just use Vizio but it doesn't do the extra stuff you're talking about. Maybe Netbox might give you connection summaries but it's not a flowcharting/diagraming program.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

stump collector posted:

Most choices are sadly commercial. You could use dia to make a diagram if you want. Since I like needlessly complex things I’m currently running a mikrotik CHR instance just to run their “The Dude” network diagram/monitor software.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sharkytm posted:

This is probably a long shot, but worth a try.

I'm running some POE cameras via a pair of media converters (POE over Coaxial cable). The data come through just fine, until the cameras turn on their IR LEDs for nighttime use. Then, seemingly randomly, the camera feed will completely drop out due to dropped packets or some other sort of network failure. I mean randomly in that it'll do it sometimes, and not others. The problem doesn't manifest after the LEDs are on, it either happens within 10-15 seconds, or the camera will stay online from dusk til dawn. I can't seem to recreate the problem on the bench reliably, as it seems to come and go at will. It NEVER happens when the LEDs are off.

When the issue occurs, I can still ping the camera, and it doesn't go offline. I can still access the http-side login and change settings. However, the live web-side video stream completely falls apart with corrupted frames and repeated frames, color tint, and just general failure. It's not a purely power issue, because it doesn't get worse with longer cables, and I can make the issue occur with a relatively short run (25') one day, but not on a VERY long cable (500m) the next. If I crank down the bitrate on the camera, I can get it to go away. The RTSP stream also dies, due to the same issues.

I've got a bunch of Wireshark packet data, and here's the general gist of the packets:
When things are working, I get a steady stream of TCP packets with length 1514, from port 80 to 55864. Every once in a while, I'll get a single malformed packet, or a couple of "TCP segment of reassembled PDU" messages.

When things break, I get basically nothing but TCP segments of reassembled PDU, Reassembly errors due to new fragments overlapping old data (retransmission?) errors, and loads of TCP Duplicate ACK messages.

Any thoughts on what the hell is going on? I'm thinking a noisy power supply on the LED side of things must be causing some sort of error in the embedded TCP Stack, but I don't understand why the problem isn't made better by shorter cables, or why it doesn't happen reliably.

If anyone is a real network guru and wants to check out the Wireshark files, I can upload them. If there's a better thread, I'll move this over.

Given that nothing else seems to change the behavior, I'd assume this is a hardware or software fault in the camera itself. Maybe questionable capacitors that don't handle the load spike from the LEDs lighting up? Just because the voltage isn't sagging on the PoE feed doesn't mean voltage could be dropping internally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anybody know how to add a secondary address to an interface on a pfSense box that is configured for PPPoE? The DSL modem I am using exposes diagnostic data via a web UI, but pfSense doesn't seem to have any obvious way of configuring a PPPoE dialler on a physical port and then also adding a static IP.

Edit: Fixed it. Setting an interface to PPPoE assigns a new PPPoE adaptor to it, the original ethernet interface then drops off and becomes available to assign somewhere else. I made a new interface, addressed it to what the modem wants to work with, and selected this ethernet interface, everything works as it should.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 18, 2019