Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Timby posted:

The part of Spider-Verse that wrecked me was the Peter B. / Mary Jane scene, where Peter pours out his heart in apology. "I wasn't there when you needed me." :cry:

It just reminded me of my divorce and completely loving broke me. :smith:

I'm convinced whoever was the writer for this part had either gone through a divorce or otherwise lost the love of their life because it's too earnest.

Also, you know as I watch it again, it really is the smallest movements that tell so much of the story in this movie.

I watched the scene where Peter B tells Miles to turn invisible to get past him or whatever and then right after the other spiders look sad.

Seeing Peni tenderly put her hand on the head of the robot as if shes consoling the robot is like half a second but it's so good.

I'm gonna be so mad when the suits ruin the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
I always found Peter B's "She wanted kids.. and it scared me." to be a great heart tugging line.

His back story is kinda comically OTT then they drop that line and it's such a human moment and it's sadly completely justified from his perspective.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Watching Evangelion on Netflix reminds me how messed up Gerard Way’s original story about Peni Parker and SP//DR story was compared to the more bubblegum anime style of movie Peni.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

waah posted:

I'm convinced whoever was the writer for this part had either gone through a divorce or otherwise lost the love of their life because it's too earnest.

Yeah, whoever wrote that dialogue was either a child of divorce or had gone through a divorce. It's way too on-the-nose for it to be anything else.

I haven't been able to re-watch the movie yet because that scene just absolutely destroyed me and it said everything I've ever wanted to say to my ex-wife.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Sidebar: The fact that the dimensional rift effect is the Kirby Crackle but in 3D is SO GOOD.

Yes I’m watching it again right now. Why do you ask?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
When Peter B. and Miles get yoyo'd through the away by the train, one of the cops chasing them faintly yells "Stop that train"

I love this movie

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“Maybe you guys can go around? Alright, thanks New York.”

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010

Muppetjedi posted:

I always found Peter B's "She wanted kids.. and it scared me." to be a great heart tugging line.

His back story is kinda comically OTT then they drop that line and it's such a human moment and it's sadly completely justified from his perspective.

I watched this for the first time last night and was surprised to realise how much I have invested in Peter Parker over the years. The notion of a Spider-Man who has aged like me, and hosed up like me and gotten tubby like me was engaging in a way that most superhero movies just can't be. The sense of history, of time wasted...

Miles and Gwen and the rest were great, of course, but sad-sack Pete broke my heart. I've been reading about him for twenty-five years and I just want him to be alright!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

sammyv posted:

I watched this for the first time last night and was surprised to realise how much I have invested in Peter Parker over the years. The notion of a Spider-Man who has aged like me, and hosed up like me and gotten tubby like me was engaging in a way that most superhero movies just can't be. The sense of history, of time wasted...

Miles and Gwen and the rest were great, of course, but sad-sack Pete broke my heart. I've been reading about him for twenty-five years and I just want him to be alright!

That's kind of the original draw of Peter Parker and why Spider-man blew up so big; the idea of a superhero who is a real person with real problems much like the target audience, and rather than having the superhero inexplicably hang around an annoying teenager who the audience is meant to project themselves onto, you just cut out the middleman and make the teenager the superhero all on his own.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

The_Doctor posted:

“Maybe you guys can go around? Alright, thanks New York.”

Look at slim Stan Lee just walking between em.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

They used the Stan lee mode everywhere. It’s in the background of a ton of shots, particularly on trains.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

sammyv posted:

You should check out Spider-Man: Life Story, an ongoing miniseries with the premise of "What if Peter Parker aged in real time from 1962 onwards?"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh that sounds rad. I've been wanting them to do something like that for years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, because Miles got bitten by a different universe's spider, does that mean that there's now an alternate universe without a Spiderman?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Maybe the spider came from an alternate universe where all spiders are radioactive and give people spider powers, so the universe actually has too many Spider-Men.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

Maybe the spider came from an alternate universe where all spiders are radioactive and give people spider powers, so the universe actually has too many Spider-Men.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrc4VdoueE

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yesss.

Also I want the alternate universe of the bootleg toy to be canon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yesss.

Also I want the alternate universe of the bootleg toy to be canon.

:same:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There's a spider-model in the credits that has a predominantly blue scheme. Maybe that's our SpiderHero

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
I started thinking about Miles dad and uncle and they kinda represent what Spider-Man says about power and responsibility.
However, they both represent the extremes of that; Dad has the ultimate responsibility (both as a father and a servant of the law) but lacks the power to do anything about it, while uncle morales has all the power and none of the responsibility.

Miles has both of them as idols in a way, and needs to draw from both of them to become his destiny, and with great power... Comes great responsibility.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Greggster posted:

I started thinking about Miles dad and uncle and they kinda represent what Spider-Man says about power and responsibility.
However, they both represent the extremes of that; Dad has the ultimate responsibility (both as a father and a servant of the law) but lacks the power to do anything about it, while uncle morales has all the power and none of the responsibility.

Miles has both of them as idols in a way, and needs to draw from both of them to become his destiny, and with great power... Comes great responsibility.

Aaron's last words to him are "you're the best of all of us" so you're bang on.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I finally got to watch Spiderverse (thanks, Netflix!) and holy poo poo it was good. It obviously did a lot of things you simply cannot do in a live action movie, but the stakes, the emotion and the messages were all so earnest and spot-on. I just didn't want the movie to end. I was totally bought into this version of Spider-Man and the overall universe almost instantly.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Currently watching this for the....8th? time. So drat good.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I have never wanted to disown someone so fast after a friend texted me a third of the way into the movie "Miles is wak"

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hiddenriverninja posted:

I have never wanted to disown someone so fast after a friend texted me a third of the way into the movie "Miles is wak"

Text back "here's the Green Goblin's response:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XshORRaNNNU"

MMania
May 7, 2008

Greggster posted:

What a great take, definitely feels like one of the (many) things the writers didn't feel like they had to explicitly spell out. I loved the fact that the quote was known across the multiverse, Peter B. not letting Miles finish it makes me laugh every time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MMania posted:

What a great take, definitely feels like one of the (many) things the writers didn't feel like they had to explicitly spell out. I loved the fact that the quote was known across the multiverse, Peter B. not letting Miles finish it makes me laugh every time.

Miles' dad getting the quote wrong at the start too... :v:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is kind of a Power Rangers movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's the other way around, Power Rangers is (historically) kind of a Spider-Man show. :colbert:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's the other way around, Power Rangers is (historically) kind of a Spider-Man show. :colbert:

Spider-Man (1978) : Kamen Rider :: Enter the Spiderverse : Power Rangers

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Miles is the enigmatic 6th Ranger with unique powers?

I dig it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Miles is the enigmatic 6th Ranger with unique powers?

I dig it.

And his own unique colour scheme! (not counting Noir, anyway)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Can’t believe I only just realized thanks to the thread that Peni is partially a riff on this:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Can’t believe I only just realized thanks to the thread that Peni is partially a riff on this:

There have been multiple Japanese takes on Spiderman, that's one and Peni was another. Apparently Sony tried to get the rights to Italian Spider-man but the rights are complicated and that didn't happen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't know they tried to get Italian Spiderman. Hopefully they can work that out for the sequel.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Now I want Bollywood Spider (wo)Man.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Darko posted:

Now I want Bollywood Spider (wo)Man.

I dunno about Bollywood, but they did an Indian Spider-Man.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I really, REALLY want Leopardon in the sequel after the original comic utterly wasted him.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

You should check out Spider-Man: Life Story, an ongoing miniseries with the premise of "What if Peter Parker aged in real time from 1962 onwards?"

Just picked up the first issue and it's really good. The whole 60's groovy thing is a bit overdone and the artist made it look like Harry and Norman Osborne have cornrows, but overall it's an interesting take on Spider-man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Krispy Wafer posted:

like Harry and Norman Osborne have cornrows
Aren't they usually depicted in classic comics with short/kinky hair?