Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So a Super Galaxy is hanging out on the tarmac in Gander right now, evidently broken in some way. I took pictures of it yesterday but can't find my correct USB to actually get it off the Camera. When I took pictures they had one of those big bucket lifts at max extension and the landing gear in its kneeling position so they could get to the top of the leading edge of the T-tail, where by the sound of things they were doing some metal grinding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A broken C-5?

Never.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

So a Super Galaxy is hanging out on the tarmac in Gander right now, evidently broken in some way. I took pictures of it yesterday but can't find my correct USB to actually get it off the Camera. When I took pictures they had one of those big bucket lifts at max extension and the landing gear in its kneeling position so they could get to the top of the leading edge of the T-tail, where by the sound of things they were doing some metal grinding

"I know it sounds weird, but what else could he have meant? Elevator trim. Take. Off! Your hairdresser doesn't trim your hair by adding to it, does he? Now start cutting."

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Nebakenezzer posted:

Crew should've declared an emergency over the atlantic and diverted to Keflavik so they could get a free Iceland vacation.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris/status/1150602370104975360

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I had noticed some of the parked planes didn't say Max on them when I drove by the other day but I wasn't sure if that still wasn't just a regular 800 waiting for delivery. I thought it said 800, this says 8200?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

They should just adopt software version style nomenclature and call it the 737 Max 8.1 (or go the android route and call it the 737 Banana Split or something)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Finger Prince posted:

They should just adopt software version style nomenclature and call it the 737 Max 8.1 (or go the android route and call it the 737 Banana Split or something)

They’re saving “banana split” for Kalitta 747s.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Charles posted:

I had noticed some of the parked planes didn't say Max on them when I drove by the other day but I wasn't sure if that still wasn't just a regular 800 waiting for delivery. I thought it said 800, this says 8200?

Eight hunnert. Either two hunnert. Eight three hunnert. Been named so by Boeing Charleston.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Better than 737-8-200

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Ola posted:

Eight hunnert. Either two hunnert. Eight three hunnert. Been named so by Boeing Charleston.

Do the ladders come free?

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

priznat posted:

Just checking out Flightradar24 as one does and noticed something interesting:

I guess there are a few of them around as here is another one on video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2PPSHkGkyg

#lifegoals

In addition to being expensive to run, they’re also dangerous as poo poo. No civilian owner has survived an ejection from one, for instance. They’re a military plane meant to be run by a military organization with military resources. There’s just not enough of that sort of expertise in the public domain to be able to operate them safely for an individual. And before anybody brings up the patriots, I know several of the guys that work on their planes and basically they’re just banking on good luck lasting a long time. It’s a miracle they haven’t had a serious accident yet.

There was an article in AOPA (I think) about the jet trainer school in Florida a while ago, and the line that stuck with me the most was one from the instructor in regards to how serious these planes are. He said, “I want you to imagine throwing a ball up in the air and catching it 100 times, but the first time you miss the catch, somebody walks up and shoots you in the head.” The planes are far beyond the realm of the average PPL holders skills, and things happen at much faster rates than you’re used to. Without a military size budget, nobody could ever maintain proficiency in a plane like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And even with a military budget and training, the loss rate of fighter jets per hour flown is, uh, a little higher than that of general aviation piston singles

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

charliemonster42 posted:

The planes are far beyond the realm of the average PPL holders skills, and things happen at much faster rates than you’re used to. Without a military size budget, nobody could ever maintain proficiency in a plane like that.

I really can't stress this enough. Further, many PPL holders are resistant to the idea that they should under any circumstances be any more proficient than they are at that exact moment -- trust me, I've done flight reviews for them, during which they complain about how mean we instructors are by demanding they not suck before we sign off on them -- which doesn't mesh well with learning to fly something a great deal faster and more complex.

I should also say many PPL holders are indeed committed to improving their proficiency, but I wouldn't call it a majority by any means. They'll say they want to, but they'll not actually take any actions or put effort toward it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ola posted:

“Boing Chawstun”

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

charliemonster42 posted:

In addition to being expensive to run, they’re also dangerous as poo poo. No civilian owner has survived an ejection from one, for instance.

Is this because of incorrectly maintained seats or something, or are the L-39 ejection seats just not as good as the ones in modern jet fighters? I was under the impression that modern ejection seats are more or less foolproof so long as you're subsonic and not inverted at low level.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 15, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Is this because of incorrectly maintained seats or something, or are the L-39 ejection seats just not as good as the ones in modern jet fighters? I was under the impression that modern ejection seats are more or less foolproof so long as you're subsonic and not inverted at low level.

Military fighter pilots are usually under 6' and in good shape. Tech millionaires are under no such restriction.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
One thing I could never figure out was my dad’s cousin flew CF-104s and is 6’3”, how is that even possible.

Amazingly he never had to eject from one either

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

Military fighter pilots are usually under 6' and in good shape. Tech millionaires are under no such restriction.

They felt safe in the plane because they misread the restriction as:

Must be under 6″

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

One thing I could never figure out was my dad’s cousin flew CF-104s and is 6’3”, how is that even possible.

Amazingly he never had to eject from one either

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Accurate

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mortabis posted:

Some modern ejection seats can handle inversion or low altitude, though from I understand not both. They can even get you out safely from a parked plane.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A zero-zero seat, which can perform a successful ejection at zero altitude and zero airspeed (parked) is the standard for modern military jets. They use explosives and rockets to clear the canopy and launch you to a safe parachute deployment altitude rather than relying on wind blast and the plane's own altitude to get you clear.

That doesn't help much if you eject upside down, or if you are too tall for the cockpit and your legs get torn off by the instrument panel as your torso is rocketed free. Ejection is not a peaceful event.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Ejection seats: Slightly better than death!™

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Some modern ejection seats can handle inversion or low altitude, though from I understand not both.
I'm guessing there's a certain amount of time, and therefore altitude, required for an inverted ejection to get clear of the plane, release the chute, and slow to a survivable impact speed, and without that altitude an ejection seat is just a device for punching pilot-shaped holes in the landscape

slightly sooner than staying aboard the crashing aircraft

(Consider that cats need at least 12" of fall distance to right themselves so they can land on their feet)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Put hatches both over and under the seat.

Put two sets of rockets on the seat.

When the ejection handle is pulled, blow whichever hatch is more upward and fire the appropriate rockets.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Platystemon posted:

When the ejection handle is pulled, blow whichever hatch is more upward and fire the appropriate rockets.

p. sure 25G pulling your body away from your head is gonna kill you a lot faster than rocketing into the ground at least

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

Platystemon posted:

Or both sets ignite and you just start the fireball early with you as the meat in a rocket sandwich.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Platystemon posted:

There was some cold war bomber that ejected some of the crew positions downward. I want to say B-52 or B-58 and they changed it on later models to eject up.

The thing about ejections is that the most likely time to do it is when something goes wrong at low altitudes, usually during takeoff and landing. Downward ejection isn't very useful in those situations.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

There was some cold war bomber that ejected some of the crew positions downward. I want to say B-52 or B-58 and they changed it on later models to eject up.

The thing about ejections is that the most likely time to do it is when something goes wrong at low altitudes, usually during takeoff and landing. Downward ejection isn't very useful in those situations.

On B-52s 2 of 6 crew stations still eject down. They dont have a great reputation. But its still better than the other 1-4 people who don't have a seat and get to try and jump out!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

quote:

Efforts to reduce weight to make the aircraft suitable for carrier operations had led to the deletion of ejection seats during the design process for the Skywarrior, based on the assumption that most flights would be at high altitude. A similar arrangement with an escape tunnel had been used on the F3D Skyknight.[7] Aircrews began joking morbidly that "A3D" stood for "All Three Dead".[8]

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

This is basically how the E-2 is set up, all five crew have to crawl through the forward equipment compartment to jump out the main hatch. Minimum altitude is 1000 feet, and that's when you need to actually be jumping out, not starting to make your way to the door.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The B-58 was the fighter-looking-bomber that had the cool ejection capsules that look like GLaDOS from the Portal games

I don't think they ever ejected downwards though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i wanna know who is gonna pick up the Jet Airways liveried maxen

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

simplefish posted:

The B-58 was the fighter-looking-bomber that had the cool ejection capsules that look like GLaDOS from the Portal games

I don't think they ever ejected downwards though

The Hustler was quite a sexy aircraft. One of my favorites.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
B-58 ejection capsule fun fact: it was tested with a sedated bear.

L-39 most civilian owned ones are flying with the seats disabled.

As for their danger, the 2 biggest factors I see for a transitioning GA pilot are the high landing speed, and the long spoolup time of the engine. This requires a stabilized approach where the engine is already spooled. (We operated ours with extended speed brake on approach to further help in this area. Overkill? I dunno.) Both of these things are routinely mitigated by disciplined training and SOP enforcement of 1500 hour flunkies (and until a few years ago, 250 hour flunkies) and entrusting the flying public to them.

The thing that did scare me was the prospect of engine failure.

And then there's the factor of the temptation of low level acro and aggressive buzz jobs that's ever present in the pretend-military appeal of this type of plane.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This is basically how the E-2 is set up, all five crew have to crawl through the forward equipment compartment to jump out the main hatch. Minimum altitude is 1000 feet, and that's when you need to actually be jumping out, not starting to make your way to the door.

E-3 has a downward tunnel and hatch about 2/3 of the way forward. The ASO pulls the handle down to blow the charges on the bottom of the fuselage, lifts open the grate in the deck floor, and some unfortunate soul jumps down the tunnel which is probably about 6 feet before you fall out of the airplane. Ideally the air will not push you into any of the radio antennas on the belly.

Oh and there haven't been parachutes since the late 90s. But I did hear the bailout chute is technically not considered operational anymore, so it no longer gets preflighted.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vessbot posted:

B-58 ejection capsule fun fact: it was tested with a sedated bear.

Man, imagine drawing the short straw to be the guy who has to open that one up.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I live in Seattle right under the northern approach to SeaTac and the Flightradar24 app is fun

A320s are the only “noisy” jets that fly over regularly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Man, imagine drawing the short straw to be the guy who has to open that one up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system

quote:

After experiments with instrumented dummies, Fulton continued to experiment with live pigs, as pigs have nervous systems close to humans. Lifted off the ground, the pig began to spin as it flew through the air at 125 miles per hour (200 km/h). It arrived on board uninjured but in a disoriented state.[2]