Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

This guy just ripped a big stinker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
I am Jonjo Shelvey staring blankly into the middle distance.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

Two guys on the bottom right with their mouths open takes this from "squad of bored athletes" to "special needs field trip"

CyberPingu posted:

Whos the knacker avec lovely haircut at the top of the weird flesh pyramid

Turn your monitor on and don't sign your posts lmao

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 15, 2019

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Kinda looks like Robbie Keane.

Can't be though...
There's only one Kean-o...

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The Premier League is adding head to head for separating teams in the title/european/relegation places. It slots in after points, goal difference, and goals scored, so it'll be used pretty seldomly.

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1150794669904842758

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

pik_d posted:

The Premier League is adding head to head for separating teams in the title/european/relegation places. It slots in after points, goal difference, and goals scored, so it'll be used pretty seldomly.

https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1150794669904842758

It should always be the first decider. I will never understand why it isn’t that way everywhere.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gigi Galli posted:

It should always be the first decider. I will never understand why it isn’t that way everywhere.

Because it retroactively makes certain games playoffs and the only thing worse than a playoff is one that you didn't know was happening until 9 months after.

League table should be judged over the full season in as many areas as possible before one-offs come into play.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gigi Galli posted:

I can sort of understand it, a league format isn't supposed to really give any more weight to any specific match, is it? Points, goal difference, and goals scored are all accumulated over the whole season, while head to head is making those two games more important than the other 36. It's not a knockout bracket like the cups where head to head is all you have.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

sassassin posted:

Because it retroactively makes certain games playoffs and the only thing worse than a playoff is one that you didn't know was happening until 9 months after.

League table should be judged over the full season in as many areas as possible before one-offs come into play.

pik_d posted:

I can sort of understand it, a league format isn't supposed to really give any more weight to any specific match, is it? Points, goal difference, and goals scored are all accumulated over the whole season, while head to head is making those two games more important than the other 36. It's not a knockout bracket like the cups where head to head is all you have.

Fair points. I would argue that using goal difference and goals scored gives more weight to matches where teams are incredibly mismatched and you end up with silly score lines. I concede that using head to head does actually limit it to two matches as opposed to a variable number and, in the best situations, games with wild talent differences wouldn’t exist to begin with.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Everyone gets to play Newcastle, it's not an advantage to one particular team.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
With goal difference, there's a chance that a team is 3 points off the title or safety but with a slightly worse goal difference going into the final game, so you get a situation where they need to win by x amount of goals, which is pretty exciting. With head to head, you don't get that and the team could be already out of it if they lost on head to head. Take the season just gone for example. Liverpool and City drew the first game and City won in January. With head to head, whatever lead City had, it would essentially be one point more with head to head for the rest of the season.

Gigi Galli posted:

Fair points. I would argue that using goal difference and goals scored gives more weight to matches where teams are incredibly mismatched and you end up with silly score lines. I concede that using head to head does actually limit it to two matches as opposed to a variable number and, in the best situations, games with wild talent differences wouldn’t exist to begin with.

The fact that everyone else plays those teams evens it out a bit. Everyone around the poorer team in a mismatch also has to play the better team, too. The one that loses 10-0 might be relegated because their rival who survived only lost 8-0.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 15, 2019

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Mickolution posted:

With goal difference, there's a chance that a team is 3 points off the title or safety but with a slightly worse goal difference going into the final game, so you get a situation where they need to win by x amount of goals, which is pretty exciting. With head to head, you don't get that and the team could be already out of it if they lost on head to head. Take the season just gone for example. Liverpool and City drew the first game and City won in January. With head to head, whatever lead City had, it would essentially be one point more with head to head for the rest of the season.

It does make it more exciting but it also opens up a title race and/or relegation to a third party. If two teams chasing a title go in to the last day tied and one is playing a midtable team with nothing to fight for already on vacation and the other is playing a team fighting for their top flight place or even just another team in the top 5 or something, it seems lopsided. To me at least, that's where it'd be more fair to take the head to head. You've already shown who's better among the two with all other things being equal. Personal preference I guess, I can certainly see the other side of this.

Thanks for the honest responses. I can see the value in both methods.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think the factor should be:

GD
GF
GA
# of wins

# of wins is in there because the league obviously wants more scoring as evidence by GF always being ahead of GA.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
This week has clearly shown that the best tiebreak method is number of times a team kicks the ball out of bounds

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The final decider should be sudden death red arse with the managers taking turns in goal.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Blue Star Error posted:

This week has clearly shown that the best tiebreak method is number of times a team kicks the ball out of bounds

Open the sport up and make it number of arrests of fans so it gives a real incentive for tasty behaviour

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just do a playoff if they have the same points, nobody will complain about having extra footie to watch. Everything else just penalizes a team for the style they took to get to their number of points. Teams shouldn't be penalized for doing things their way.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Vegetable posted:

Just do a playoff if they have the same points, nobody will complain about having extra footie to watch. Everything else just penalizes a team for the style they took to get to their number of points. Teams shouldn't be penalized for doing things their way.

more games would penalize teams that have a higher pressing/tempo style

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Head to head is bad for league stuff because if two good teams tie on everything but one has a better record against the other, it means that “better” team bottled it against some crap side. And for a league championship, which should have more weight?

It’s not super clear cut if say, City draws Liverpool 4-4 at home in an open banger, and loses 0-1 away in a tight match on a fluke own goal, but Liverpool choked a stinker to Palace 0-1 or some poo poo so they finish even with City but win the head to head and take the title. Was Liverpool better? Maybe? Why did the better team lose more to bad teams?

It’s a season long race and honestly the way it’s been done might be the only fair league title determination in all of sports.

There’s the cups for weird knockout head to head shenanigans.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Anyway why even have the first window if I pull up to the second one both to pay for and receive my frostee?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I've never liked head-to-head record as a tiebreaker in a league system, a league system is supposed to find the best performing team against all the other members of the league and not just the team they happened to finish equal on points with.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

just do fairplay tbh, it's as good a metric as any other

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Blasmeister posted:

just do fairplay tbh, it's as good a metric as any other
In cricket that has a good chance of being a tie though. It's not like football with yellow cards.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Flayer posted:

In cricket that has a good chance of being a tie though. It's not like football with yellow cards.

I guess it's a good thing we're talking about football.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

I guess it's a good thing we're talking about football.

Yes but how would we solve this problem in baseball?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Bundy posted:

Yes but how would we solve this problem in baseball?

We’d die of boredom.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I don't know why I'm watching this Asia cup match but it's going to be a hammering lol

3-0 after 40 minutes lol

Jose fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 17, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Among the 33 managers to have managed 200 or more Premier League games, Bruce's win percentage of 28.1% (110 games in 392 games) is the second-lowest, ahead only of his former Manchester United team-mate Bryan Robson (26.8%).

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/club-statement_steve-bruce/

quote:

The Club is disappointed to learn via public statement issued by Newcastle United that it has appointed former Sheffield Wednesday staff Steve Bruce, Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence.

Regardless of the fact that the staff resigned from their positions with the Club on Monday, there remains outstanding legal issues to be resolved between the club and the staff and Newcastle United. The Club is currently considering its position and taking the appropriate legal advice.

We're going to be docked points for tapping up Steve Bruce.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Among the 33 managers to have managed 200 or more Premier League games, Bruce's win percentage of 28.1% (110 games in 392 games) is the second-lowest, ahead only of his former Manchester United team-mate Bryan Robson (26.8%).

lol

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

tetsuo posted:

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/club-statement_steve-bruce/

We're going to be docked points for tapping up Steve Bruce.

I hope Ashley gets done up in the courts

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/NUFCThreatLevel/status/1149318037566382081

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Who were the four?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

Who were the four?

These are his 5 most expensive

Asamoah Gyan (Sunderland) – in excess of £13million
Michael Turner (Sunderland) – £12million
Scott Hogan (Aston Villa) – £12million
Darren Bent (Sunderland) – £10million plus add-ons
Abel Hernández (Hull) – £10million

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Jose posted:

These are his 5 most expensive

Asamoah Gyan (Sunderland) – in excess of £13million
Michael Turner (Sunderland) – £12million
Scott Hogan (Aston Villa) – £12million
Darren Bent (Sunderland) – £10million plus add-ons
Abel Hernández (Hull) – £10million

If we sign Gyan I’ll be fully on the Steve Bruce train. PL needs human sacrifices and witch doctors

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I was vaguely curious to see if one was Alex Bruce

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

tarbrush posted:

I was vaguely curious to see if one was Alex Bruce

This is the more shocking stat imo

10 most used players: