Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

repiv posted:

After like a year of delays they just announced availability literally an hour ago :v:

It's $50, shipping August 7.

https://twitter.com/8BitDo/status/1150782069095718913

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq4bJ5Qpn8M

Does it wake the system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Does it wake the system?

Don't think Nintendo lets 3rd party controllers do that

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anyone playing DQB2 having issues with the fan?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Kvlt! posted:

Anyone playing DQB2 having issues with the fan?

Supposedly it constantly runs it, at least according to GameXplain. This game has to be the most taxing switch game yet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MK 11 also runs the fan constantly. It's fine though just cause the fan is running doesnt mean your system is being damaged. Your system will shut itself off before it reaches such a threshold.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've actually never figured out how to make my pro-controller wake up the system? Does it have to be undocked or something? It's not a big deal since I'm usually seated just next to the console, when docked, (and this makes me ask, far far too late, if Nintendo ever released Wired-only Pro Controllers, and I should've just bought that probably I actually play table-top just enough these days where I can justify the wireless Pro come to think of it).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I've actually never figured out how to make my pro-controller wake up the system? Does it have to be undocked or something? It's not a big deal since I'm usually seated just next to the console, when docked, (and this makes me ask, far far too late, if Nintendo ever released Wired-only Pro Controllers, and I should've just bought that probably I actually play table-top just enough these days where I can justify the wireless Pro come to think of it).
Press and hold the home button.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
holy poo poo finally. getting that sweet gameboy version, the remapping for the screenshot and home buttons means it will end up being my main pc pad too. or i might just pick up the black version as well for that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

American McGay posted:

Press and hold the home button.

What a world we live in, thanks.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've always been able to just press the home button on my Pro Controller, but the Joycons require a press and hold for some reason.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Nintendo lets licensed 3rd party controllers wake the Switch, but 8bitdo stuff isn't licensed and relies on reverse engineered specs.

For whatever reason 8bitdo haven't been able to figure out how waking works, or maybe they just can't replicate it with the Bluetooth chips they use.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

repiv posted:

Nintendo lets licensed 3rd party controllers wake the Switch, but 8bitdo stuff isn't licensed and relies on reverse engineered specs.

For whatever reason 8bitdo haven't been able to figure out how waking works, or maybe they just can't replicate it with the Bluetooth chips they use.

It might be as simple as filtering out the MACs it listens for when it's asleep. I know that Zigbee does that poo poo for OEM products, so I wouldn't be surprised. Bitdo spoofing a MAC for wake-up purposes may piss a few people off. Or the licensed stuff has an encrypted key it sends for wake-up. I have no idea how the licensing/hardware specs work so just assume I'm stupid.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

DQB2 is as bad as BotW & D3 on the battery for sure. You'll get least 2 hours but the minutes you get after that are very setting dependent. Assuming a fresh battery which a lot of us don't really have anymore.

DBQ2 will do 60fps if you point the camera at the emtpy sky :v:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am thinking about getting those Nintendo Vouchers, is this a bad idea?

I mean, I know there are at least two first-party games that I'll probably want to own and they never get discounted
That was my logic, I got Mario Maker with one and waiting on the other, whatever game that’ll be.

...and I got it with eShop cards off Costco, 2x $45 for $50 cards, to save another :10bux:. $90 for 2 games! :toot:

Edit: while I’m here, anyone playing Lethal League? It’s fun. Switch port is...rough, but still fun.

japtor fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 15, 2019

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Has anyone gotten to the temple in Dragon Quest Builders 2 on the second map?

You have to grab two statues, I picked up one, put it down to do some fights and then it vanished. It's not back where it spawned.

I've done the 2nd one and you need to do this to progress the plot.

Am I boned?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Has Bloodstained updated enough for the performance to be smooth?

I don't mind something that is 30FPS so long as it is consistent

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Nope

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Inzombiac posted:

It hasn't been updated at all.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Even on the PS4 Pro Bloodstained struggles sometimes, during a boss fight late in the game it kept dropping into single digit FPS. I wouldn't hold my breath for it to improve too much on the Switch.

Great game though!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Even on the PS4 Pro Bloodstained struggles sometimes, during a boss fight late in the game it kept dropping into single digit FPS. I wouldn't hold my breath for it to improve too much on the Switch.

Great game though!

So if I plan on playing Bloodstained I should pick up the PS4 version? I'm a bit surprised they bothered to port it if it's already struggling on high end hardware.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

pixaal posted:

So if I plan on playing Bloodstained I should pick up the PS4 version? I'm a bit surprised they bothered to port it if it's already struggling on high end hardware.

It was a kickstarter tier reward so they had to do it or face even worse publicity.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you have the option get it on PS4. It looks atrocious on Switch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or dont get it anywhere if it runs like garbage and the devs arent fixing it

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They are, literally the first update from the devs after the switch release was "ok we heard ya we're diverting all resources that were scheduled for more content development into trying to fix switch performance instead"

poo poo takes time tho, and it's only been like 2 weeks

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My docked Switch stays hot in sleep mode when I have the Ethernet adapter plugged in. Turning auto update off didn’t change this. Is this still an issue even with the official adapter? I’m using the UGREEN one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HenryEx posted:

They are, literally the first update from the devs after the switch release was "ok we heard ya we're diverting all resources that were scheduled for more content development into trying to fix switch performance instead"

poo poo takes time tho, and it's only been like 2 weeks

I think they said something more like “improve performance in certain areas” which doesn’t give me a lot of hope they’ll fix the performance problems in total.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They're never gonna fix the game.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
People on Gamefaq are saying the DQB2 DLC is already unlocked? Has anyone in here experienced this? I wasn't going to buy it, because I'll probably mainline this game for two weeks until I beat it and burnout... but if it's available now... :homebrew:

There's a room recipe I'm trying to figure out and all of the guides say the same thing, but it's not working in game. Has anyone made the gender specific bathrooms? I guess it could be story locked, but that would be a little weird. The guides I found keep saying this is all you need, but it's not working for me:

Men's Toilet

Any pot/toilet (x3)
Towel Rack (x3)
Gentleman Sign

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Towel racks transfer manliness into toilets?

Video games teach me something new every day.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Are you putting the gentlemen's sign on the inside or the outside?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

YggiDee posted:

Are you putting the gentlemen's sign on the inside or the outside?

Yeah signs are inside only afaik as counter intuitive as that seems

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It was fine on PC and is an amazing return to form for Igavania fans so this is really terrible advice actually. Just don't get it on the underpowered children's tablet (jk I'm sure it will get patched in time)

Now to rev up DQ Builders 2 on this tiny kid's toy

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Fallom posted:

I think they said something more like “improve performance in certain areas” which doesn’t give me a lot of hope they’ll fix the performance problems in total.

They said they're going to fix it with small patches targeting the actual slow down areas instead of blanket patches to get them out faster. First patch is allegedly the 17th.

Consequently, I'm waiting till they're finished before playing it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It runs fine on other systems excepting one boss fight, which I dont think has issues on PC, and runs like dogshit on the switch. With new consoles launching next year expect more of this from ports.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
friendly reminder that there is a palpable difference between "this game runs poorly because of the physical hardware's inability to keep up" and "this game runs poorly because it is poorly made"

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Bleck posted:

friendly reminder that there is a palpable difference between "this game runs poorly because of the physical hardware's inability to keep up" and "this game runs poorly because it is poorly made"
And Bloodstained is both.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I'm making a shopping list for which games I want to pick up when the Switch Lite comes out. I've also got to figure out what size card I need to get. I don't think there's a single GBA/DS/3DS game I've ever traded in so maybe I want to go more digital downloads on the Switch? I haven't looked too far into that though.

Are there some Switch releases that are digital only? If so, is there a good list somewhere?

Is there any issue with used Switch games? I might want to try to save a couple of bucks going that way on some of the older stuff I want to play.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Bleck posted:

I mean, this is a pretty clear case of both? Bloodstained’s coding isn’t ever going to be the peak of the craft, but Switch’s track record with UE4 games is... not strong, especially outside AAA developer space. It’s a poorly optimized game trying to run on a potato, so double whammy, Switch Bloodstained is a dumpster fire.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

GoodBee posted:

Is there any issue with used Switch games?

People have probably licked them.

e: Otherwise, there's no issues going digital other than price. You should be fine doing any combination of digital and/or physical. Used games should be fine, though watch out for some dual releases like Bayonetta 1/2 and Final Fantasy X/X-2, where one of the games is a one-use code so you'll miss out on those going used.

Keep in mind most indie games are going to be digital only.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mr. Locke posted:

I mean, this is a pretty clear case of both? Bloodstained’s coding isn’t ever going to be the peak of the craft, but Switch’s track record with UE4 games is... not strong, especially outside AAA developer space. It’s a poorly optimized game trying to run on a potato, so double whammy, Switch Bloodstained is a dumpster fire.

I don’t understand why they needed to even make the game in that engine. It doesn’t even look that great and it runs like poo poo on everything.