Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If it's not a way to link level codes online throw it in the loving trash.

If this multiplayer thing ends up taking precedence, throw it in the trash, I don't care, I'm tired of typing codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I dont think there will be a new endless mode. New courses were the most obvious candidate for that but the queue is caught up now.

Itll probably be a bunch of bug fixes, multiplayer, and maybe a couple new items. Im guessing a few months down the line theyll have another style (probably mario 2)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If they go the SMB2 route it'd be cool to see 3D World (or all of the themes I guess) get Luigi/Toad/Peach/Rosalina with their different abilities like in the actual game

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I was planning to sit out the jam this week since I already have one "for kids" level and I didn't want to repeat myself, but I may have just been struck by the strangest source of inspiration imaginable. Now to figure out how to pull it off.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone want to theorize as to when the first update will happen, and what will be included? Online multiplayer with friends, obviously, but beyond that...??

I'm thinking some new Endless modes, and maybe support for a bookmarking site.

The first update will probably be pretty small. Maybe some QoL things like the long-awaited "Restart From Checkpoint" option.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i really want the ability to make your own level playlists. just give me the ability to punch in a bunch of codes at once, and get all the levels at once

edit: i can definitely see greatest game of all time SM2 being a new "game style" and probably a 2D version of mario odyssey too. maybe more maker costumes, probably peach as a playable character at some point.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 15, 2019

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Tubular Traversal

A 3D World level, mostly focusing on ! blocks, glass pipes, and long jumps. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I think it has a nice flow. It also has one (non-lethal) mean trick that I found way too hilarious to take out.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

My last level is up to 15 plays but still only the four goon likes, so I guess it was a dud after all. :(

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
At long last I have made another level and it stars the ghostess hostess with the mostess BOOETTE

Booettes Bougie Bungalow

C1W-P2K-JWF

My previous course Legend of the Big Coin ended up in the popular tab for a bit and had a minor blow up so I wanted to try and top it. I'm not sure if I did, but I do know that this here level is the longest I've spent on a single Mario level. I would make a bunch of stuff, delete most of it, make more, go to bed, get home from work and then delete most of it again and make all new stuff. It ended up entirely differently than my original plan but these things happen. I hope you all like dark ghost houses.

Overbite fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 15, 2019

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

NofrikinfuN posted:

My last level is up to 15 plays but still only the four goon likes, so I guess it was a dud after all. :(

I just played it. It's extremely clever and one of the best of this type of level I've seen, but it has the same problem that plagues many puzzle levels: it has things that can kill you and these puzzles are fun to solve exactly once before it becomes tedious to make it back to where you were. If I were doing this in endless I'd probably skip it after getting crushed by a thwomp. The other problem is your average endless player may not be particularly keen on playing puzzle levels, so you kind of have to find your own audience.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

NofrikinfuN posted:

My like percentage on courses that are mostly played by goons is about 25%, my like percentage on courses that 'got out in the wild' is about half that. Similar to SMM1.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

NofrikinfuN posted:

I played it and yes the puzzles are clever. I died a couple times because I got crushed and the final puzzle took me a few attempts because I couldn't see what the final blue snake blocks were doing so I would end up messing it all up and having to start over. I liked how the puzzles escalated in complexity but it was kind of long too. You could have removed the parts where you just run and crush the small thwomps to make it a bit shorter. Overall I liked it though!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Showed Forest of Fury to a Twitch streamer and they were making fun of me that it was "too easy to cheese" because they were using one of the Fire Flowers to kill Boom-Boom. They didn't even find the POW Block in the question block. I explained that it was for kids before they started playing but I guess any power-ups whatsoever is "cheese."

That word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Snake Maze posted:

Tubular Traversal

A 3D World level, mostly focusing on ! blocks, glass pipes, and long jumps. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, I think it has a nice flow. It also has one (non-lethal) mean trick that I found way too hilarious to take out.

This is really good. I don't see many 3D World levels that really take advantage of the new mechanics like this one did. I highly recommend everyone check it out.

Overbite posted:

At long last I have made another level and it stars the ghostess hostess with the mostess BOOETTE

Booettes Bougie Bungalow

C1W-P2K-JWF

My previous course Legend of the Big Coin ended up in the popular tab for a bit and had a minor blow up so I wanted to try and top it. I'm not sure if I did, but I do know that this here level is the longest I've spent on a single Mario level. I would make a bunch of stuff, delete most of it, make more, go to bed, get home from work and then delete most of it again and make all new stuff. It ended up entirely differently than my original plan but these things happen. I hope you all like dark ghost houses.
These dark levels are tough to pull off but I think you showed enough restraint to nail it. I only died once and it was own fault for not remembering a spike that I had just avoided a few seconds prior.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Lobster posted:

Showed Forest of Fury to a Twitch streamer and they were making fun of me that it was "too easy to cheese" because they were using one of the Fire Flowers to kill Boom-Boom. They didn't even find the POW Block in the question block. I explained that it was for kids before they started playing but I guess any power-ups whatsoever is "cheese."

That word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Was it one of the big name streamers because most of the time they get handed Kaizo levels and are just used to calling things cheese at this point. It's obnoxious.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Thanks for the feedback all. I suppose thwomps are a tad too lethal for puzzles, that's true. I actually added the thwomp hallway sections to break up the puzzle sections, did they end up detracting from the level overall?

As for the final puzzle, I agree it went a bit sideways. The main issue was that I wanted it to go one of two ways depending on when you activated an element, but not being able to overlap paths meant pathing them around each other. Maybe more on/off switch hijinks would have been preferable?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

NofrikinfuN posted:

Thanks for the feedback all. I suppose thwomps are a tad too lethal for puzzles, that's true. I actually added the thwomp hallway sections to break up the puzzle sections, did they end up detracting from the level overall?

As for the final puzzle, I agree it went a bit sideways. The main issue was that I wanted it to go one of two ways depending on when you activated an element, but not being able to overlap paths meant pathing them around each other. Maybe more on/off switch hijinks would have been preferable?

I forgot to add, I really like that you put reset doors in the puzzle rooms. That was a really good idea most people would probably not think to add.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Got a brand new level!

Skipsqueak Station

CP9-PCN-9NG

A challenging course exclusively about the Skipsqueaks.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Mario Won A Cruise!
KDH-HM4-JMG

Simple puzzle solving to get the red coins followed by a boss fight, it's a bit of a long level but I think it's pretty straight forward. It's not my "for kids" level because it's probably too hard for that and I started work on it before that was announced.

Shouldn't be too difficult for someone experienced in SMW, but I'm also a terrible judge of difficulty.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Overbite posted:

I forgot to add, I really like that you put reset doors in the puzzle rooms. That was a really good idea most people would probably not think to add.

These are actually the reason I kept it at four puzzles in the sublevel. :ssh:

I definitely saw the necessity since thwomps crack like eggs if they are being pushed around.

Also thanks for the comments J-Spot and Overbite. :3:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Pixeltendo posted:

Got a brand new level!

Skipsqueak Station

CP9-PCN-9NG

I'm trying to beat it, the jump over the spring spike squeak into a small hole in the wall is a real chore

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thought I'd share my first level. I guess it's a puzzle, there's basically no running and a lot of switches. Feedback appreciated! I have no idea if this works, or if it only works in my head.

Trust Fall
7RF-X2D-5XG

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Pixeltendo posted:

Got a brand new level!

Skipsqueak Station

CP9-PCN-9NG

This was great! I saw "challenging" and "skipsqueak" and scoffed, then got humbled. :blush:

I was especially impressed by the timing on the treadmill portion, normally those kinds of sections make me crazy, but it felt pretty tight here.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My very first level got up top 965 plays(and 250ish likes) but has only been played once in the past few days. I was really hoping to break 1000

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

dudeness posted:

Mario Won A Cruise!
KDH-HM4-JMG

Simple puzzle solving to get the red coins followed by a boss fight, it's a bit of a long level but I think it's pretty straight forward. It's not my "for kids" level because it's probably too hard for that and I started work on it before that was announced.

Shouldn't be too difficult for someone experienced in SMW, but I'm also a terrible judge of difficulty.

Played this, it was pretty easy though I did die because I ran out of time and that doesn't feel good, especially since I had just grabbed the star :( Otherwise it is good!

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Was it one of the big name streamers because most of the time they get handed Kaizo levels and are just used to calling things cheese at this point. It's obnoxious.

No, it was somebody who had like ~25 viewers and only about eight or nine levels in their queue, I know to hit up smaller streamers for the most part because getting seen on a larger channel is a crapshoot. But most of the levels she was being handed apart from mine were Kaizo (and garbage). I think that's just what people expect to see on a Twitch stream.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Huxley posted:

Thought I'd share my first level. I guess it's a puzzle, there's basically no running and a lot of switches. Feedback appreciated! I have no idea if this works, or if it only works in my head.

Trust Fall
7RF-X2D-5XG

I really liked this one. It gets a little uncomfortable with the blind jumps, but it's clear where they are expected and you don't mislead or troll so it works. Good stuff!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dudeness posted:

Mario Won A Cruise!
KDH-HM4-JMG

I liked this a lot! Poking around usually seemed to provide a solution better than the first one I tried. Like

grabbing the first koopa shell for the second coin so you don't have to trigger the pipe.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

NofrikinfuN posted:

I really liked this one. It gets a little uncomfortable with the blind jumps, but it's clear where they are expected and you don't mislead or troll so it works. Good stuff!

Thanks! I tried to make sure you could always see the next landing from the very edges, and even the blind fall, you can go down there the wrong way to see it.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

dudeness posted:

Mario Won A Cruise!
KDH-HM4-JMG

I like it! I went with my instinct to immediately assault the other passengers and it served me well the whole cruise. The end was a bit hectic, but I managed to get by with the flower.

I do think I did the last coin wrong, though: I wasn't sure what to do, so I beat up a goomba and tossed him up there to get the coin. I never bothered with the springs.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh yeah, forgot to post this level I finished.

Hellfire Honeycombs: 5J6-LGK-PQF

Bowser's castle has long been abandoned, but some busy bees have taken up residence and made it into one hot hive. Can you survive the swarm of bees flying across the blistering river of spicy honey?

Had some fun with red POW blocks designing this stage to make some neat little traps. Tried to simulate the feeling of 'stirring the hornet's nest' and having bees pop up suddenly and angrily.

I'm still at work and won't get to play this until later but I've gotta say I'm impressed by your sense of aesthetics. I've seen a of people (including myself) complain about it being tough to get good course decorations going in the sm3dw theme but you're really getting the most out of it in your courses

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Lobster posted:

No, it was somebody who had like ~25 viewers and only about eight or nine levels in their queue, I know to hit up smaller streamers for the most part because getting seen on a larger channel is a crapshoot. But most of the levels she was being handed apart from mine were Kaizo (and garbage). I think that's just what people expect to see on a Twitch stream.

Theres a lot of kaizo trash in streams and I think theyre just used to it at this point because a good chunk of their viewers are kids who want to troll people.

e: another good thing to remember though is that people will optimize the fun out of any game. If theres a way to do something safer but unfun, players will do it.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

NofrikinfuN posted:

I do think I did the last coin wrong, though: I wasn't sure what to do, so I beat up a goomba and tossed him up there to get the coin. I never bothered with the springs.

It ain't wrong if you won!

I did actually try to make sure there were extra ways to get some of the coins.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
show solidarity and don't engage with twitch today or tomorrow

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Looper posted:

Ah, yes, it is Prime Day(s), thank you for reminding me. I had forgotten.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Jam review of Slidetide Pools, guestwritten by Daughter Cedricson, age 5.

"This is a hard one. Why don't you try this part? *is told 'no, this is a kid's level* Maybe we should let Mommy try."

"I don't understand how slide jumps work." *Has it explained and demonstrated* Oh okay. *Takes a leap from the very top of the hill* I like to do it MY way."

"I like the room with the pipes. It is nice except for I never got to the pipe that 3 and 0 coin in there. [sic]"

"Can we play my level?"

Haschelnote: I thought this was a great level. I am so sorry.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Jam review of Slidetide Pools, guestwritten by Daughter Cedricson, age 5.

"This is a hard one. Why don't you try this part? *is told 'no, this is a kid's level* Maybe we should let Mommy try."

"I don't understand how slide jumps work." *Has it explained and demonstrated* Oh okay. *Takes a leap from the very top of the hill* I like to do it MY way."

"I like the room with the pipes. It is nice except for I never got to the pipe that 3 and 0 coin in there. [sic]"

"Can we play my level?"

Haschelnote: I thought this was a great level. I am so sorry.

:3: I want to play.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

12G-16K-QHF - That belongs in a museum!

Indiana Jones themed short level. Grab the idol and runaway from the "boulder."

I had to fake the boulder with a sideways Thwomp, and my trap for activating it mean you can actually get away from it before it chases if you're fast enough. The other thing I tried was Big Mole in a narrow corridor, but felt weird and too many chances to just boop it. I also originally had Yoshi included as the "whip" but there's no way to apply Yoshi-Whip in that scene really.

Did they change something, I got 2 likes, 5 plays, and 2 comments without posting this online anywhere yet.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 16, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Looper posted:

I'm still at work and won't get to play this until later but I've gotta say I'm impressed by your sense of aesthetics. I've seen a of people (including myself) complain about it being tough to get good course decorations going in the sm3dw theme but you're really getting the most out of it in your courses

Awww, thank you!

3D world definitely is harder to work with in terms of decorating, mainly due to subplatform only coming in one style and being far more finicky than its counterparts in other games. Still, you can make nice looking courses if you get creative. Experimenting with stuff that doesn't affect gameplay but changes the look of the course helps a lot.

Its really cool that naked pipes in 3D world are actual platforms though.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Khanstant posted:

Did they change something, I got 2 likes, 5 plays, and 2 comments without posting this online anywhere yet.

If you got a like off the New courses list, you get thrown into endless. Luck of the draw, although some folk have been encouraging people to like levels off the New courses list.

Looper posted:

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I just played a great level, with an amazing ending, if not a bit irritating, but it was rewarding to finish.

W3L-09F-FRF