Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
As I understand it, before Atlus was bought by Sega it was first bought by Index and then Index went bankrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Index was in trouble of massive fraud and basically had a 24.5 billion yen debt as a result

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I guess technically I like the idea of Marie and her ending stuff, she changes the weather for Yu and that’s neat.

Also I have never heard of this fraud but drat that’s some incredible levels of mess.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I likewise like the idea of Marie, but it's only something that's going to work once. I'm very interested to see what Atlus does in P5R instead of her.

I love Theo so much but Elizabeth owns, hands down. The fountain scene is priceless.

e: THANK YOU FOR NOT DATING YOUR SISTER

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Futaba isn't your sister.

She is, however, someone who is socially inexperienced, extremely dependent on you in some ways, and also I believe several years younger. Plus you kind of went into her brain and edited it, so, uh, yeah. Lots of good reasons not to date her that have nothing to do with family.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Qrr posted:

She is, however, someone who is socially inexperienced, extremely dependent on you in some ways, and also I believe several years younger. Plus you kind of went into her brain and edited it, so, uh, yeah. Lots of good reasons not to date her that have nothing to do with family.

She's only 1 year younger but the game basically treats her as a much younger child in several ways. Futaba is 15, Ann/Ryuji/Joker/Yusuke are all 16, Haru/Makoto/Akechi are all 17. Everything else is absolutely correct, there are lots of really good reasons not to date Futaba.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 15, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Qrr posted:

Next you're going to tell me Sojiro isn't my dad! :mad:

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Next you're going to tell me Sojiro isn't my dad! :mad:

Well, no, he's not. He's an avuncular figure, but he's not your parent.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

TheDavies posted:

Well, no, he's not. He's an avuncular figure, but he's not your parent.

this, even with all the jokes in the fandom about Dojima being neglectful (and honestly non-exaggerated Dojima is a mess) - he's way more of a parental figure than Sojiro is, Sojiro's just your cool landlord who makes sure you're okay with living on your own for the first time, he's pretty hands off.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Sojiro is legally your dad if you marry Futaba, if you care that much about Sojiro being your dad. Otherwise yeah he’s a landlord, at most he’s acting as a guardian to ensure correct legal procedures around your probation.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Robindaybird posted:

this, even with all the jokes in the fandom about Dojima being neglectful (and honestly non-exaggerated Dojima is a mess) - he's way more of a parental figure than Sojiro is, Sojiro's just your cool landlord who makes sure you're okay with living on your own for the first time, he's pretty hands off.
Okay, that's entirely fair. There's definite undercurrents of found family stuff in Yu's relationship with Dojima and Nanako (which makes the "just move away at the end of the year because... reasons" ending all the more jarring).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

On the other hand Sojiro didn't arrest Joker for dumbshit plot reasons.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Funky Valentine posted:

On the other hand Sojiro didn't arrest Joker for dumbshit plot reasons.

On that note, props to Sae for taking a kid with a criminal record at his word when she interrogated him and he offered zero actual proof that his crazy story was true.

Whereas Dojima didn't trust the kid who had been living under his own roof and taking care of his daughter for him for over half a year by this point. This occurs even if you have Dojima's and/or Nanako's Social Links maxed out. Extra fail points for P4 Protagonist himself for not offering to prove his story by shoving his arm or his head or something into the TV that was right there on the table in the interrogation room.

Don't get me wrong, Sae's still terrible, but at least she was willing to take a chance and believe in Joker.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I remember seeing a YouTube video of a guy pretty deep into Persona being able to take down the twins solo with a level 6 Joker (with high leveled Personas with appropriate Reflect skills, natch). It’s doable, but you need to be very prepared and have well built Personas and the yens to pull them out of the Compendium.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 16, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

W.T. Fits posted:

On that note, props to Sae for taking a kid with a criminal record at his word when she interrogated him and he offered zero actual proof that his crazy story was true.

Whereas Dojima didn't trust the kid who had been living under his own roof and taking care of his daughter for him for over half a year by this point. This occurs even if you have Dojima's and/or Nanako's Social Links maxed out. Extra fail points for P4 Protagonist himself for not offering to prove his story by shoving his arm or his head or something into the TV that was right there on the table in the interrogation room.

Don't get me wrong, Sae's still terrible, but at least she was willing to take a chance and believe in Joker.

By the time they catch Joker, the Phantom Thieves business was getting pretty undeniably supernatural compared to the P4 mystery though.

OTOH, the thought of Dojima getting exposed to the TV World, getting his Persona and going :black101: on Shadows is pretty drat irresistible. :3:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

YaketySass posted:

By the time they catch Joker, the Phantom Thieves business was getting pretty undeniably supernatural compared to the P4 mystery though.

OTOH, the thought of Dojima getting exposed to the TV World, getting his Persona and going :black101: on Shadows is pretty drat irresistible. :3:

I'm just imagining Dojima's shadow confrontation being it sitting on a couch, his wife's picture on the table in front of him, a revolver in one hand and a bullet in the other, ala Lethal Weapon.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah that makes a disturbing amount of sense given his arc.

And yeah Dojima and Souji thing was pure 100% plot faciliation so Nanako can be in danger, when there's at least a couple other ways to achieve the same result without both of them looking like idiots - like the guy snatching her on her way home from school, they hear one of the neighbors scream and seeing the van round the corner - guy's getting desperate and careless.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Nah, it's bullshit plot contrivance so the game never has to reckon with Sae being an awful human being.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
To be fair to Dojima, he repeatedly warns you to butt out of the investigation and I would be hard-pressed to try getting out of my seat to stick my arm in the TV if I was alone in a room with him especially after breaking his trust like that.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gen. Ripper posted:

Nah, it's bullshit plot contrivance so the game never has to reckon with Sae being an awful human being.

Sae is definitely the least awful target and the entire point of her segment outside the Akechi plan is that she manages to realise her own faults and work to move past them. You don’t give her a change of heart because she works it out for herself.

I don’t particularly enjoy the fact that everyone treats Sae as some sort of crazed monster when she improves on her own compared to literally everyone else, and works hard to atone for her mistakes even without a change of heart.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lord_Magmar posted:

Sae is definitely the least awful target and the entire point of her segment outside the Akechi plan is that she manages to realise her own faults and work to move past them. You don’t give her a change of heart because she works it out for herself.

I don’t particularly enjoy the fact that everyone treats Sae as some sort of crazed monster when she improves on her own compared to literally everyone else, and works hard to atone for her mistakes even without a change of heart.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

And who could forget:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

"But guys she was stressed from her job and" :qq:

edit: GODDAMNIT

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yes, she did those things, I never said she did not do awful things and the game treats those as terrible things for her to have done. That doesn’t change that every other major target is far worse, and that Sae legitimately has a change of heart on her own that leads to her realising she’s been a shitheel and changing her job.

She said mean things and threatened some people, meanwhile we have a teacher using his position to sexually and physically assault students, an artist stealing from and destroying the lives of others for his own personal gain, a literal mafia boss threatening murder and prostitution, a CEO working his employees to death in the name of maximum profits, and a politician attempting to literally take over all of Japan through murder and mass panic, who also happens to assault women sexually when drunk.

Sae does not compare, at all.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 16, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm down on this game for always shying away from making a cogent point about society's shortcomings and abuses, but between akechi, sae, and the final chapter, every time it does come close to showing something meaningful it seems to make people lose their poo poo

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yes, she did those things, I never said she did not do awful things and the game treats those as terrible things for her to have done. That doesn’t change that every other major target is far worse, and that Sae legitimately has a change of heart on her own that leads to her realising she’s been a shitheel and changing her job.

The "useless" comment resulted in Makoto almost getting sex-trafficked.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gen. Ripper posted:

The "useless" comment resulted in Makoto almost getting sex-trafficked.

Which is Sae’s fault how exactly? The comment itself is bad but that doesn’t actually make it her fault that Kaneshiro is a horrifying monster willing to turn Makoto, and Sae for that matter, into prostitutes by force.

Sae was cruel to Makoto, yes, but signs point to this being a recent development, and one Sae ultimately ends up regretting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

(I just think it's funny to rag on Sae)

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Which is Sae’s fault how exactly? The comment itself is bad but that doesn’t actually make it her fault that Kaneshiro is a horrifying monster willing to turn Makoto, and Sae for that matter, into prostitutes by force.

Which was only possible because she went charging after Kaneshiro, because she didn't want to feel useless. Who set her off, again?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Arist posted:

(I just think it's funny to rag on Sae)

It’s funnier to rag on Akechi though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gen. Ripper posted:

Which was only possible because she went charging after Kaneshiro, because she didn't want to feel useless. Who set her off, again?

That is an incredibly unlikely set of events, and not at all Sae’s fault. Makoto feeling bad and upset and useless is, Makoto nearly being abducted by a Mafia Boss is the fault of the Mafia Boss, who Sae was trying to get arrested anyway.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Lord_Magmar posted:

It’s funnier to rag on Akechi though.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I mean, Sae is the best of the non-Futaba change of heart targets, but goddamn is that a low bar to clear

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I mean, Sae is the best of the non-Futaba change of heart targets, but goddamn is that a low bar to clear
She may or may not be beaten out by some of the sidequest randos, depending on your perspective.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Oh agreed, and she was shaping up to be a real monster if her palace is any indication. The point I am making is much like Mishima she realises her own faults and works to improve them, instead of revelling in them like the other villains. Notably, all the other treasures (outside Futaba) are generally something self-important, Sae it is implied has her father’s police notebook as her treasure. She never lost sight of justice, just the path to it and the people she loves.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

She may or may not be beaten out by some of the sidequest randos, depending on your perspective.

Cheating at videogames: Unforgivable, we shall brainwash you into mending your ways.
Emotional abuse and returning a suicidally depressed teenager to her horrifically abusive relatives: Well your sister likes you and abuse never affects the victim's judgement. You're in the clear!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To be honest though, the problems with Sae as a character run kinda deep. Her "self-change of heart" doesn't feel all that earned even though the game literally operates almost entirely around it. The reason it's so possible for me to make jokes about her awfulness even after she saves the MC is because of that. Even if she's less adversarial and more mellow, the difference feels kind of weak and doesn't make up for her being a massive heel in like every single non-interrogation scene prior. Also she saves you from jail at the end, but any gratitude to that is diluted over all your other Confidants and also you're incarcerated for about five minutes.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Why does everyone want to gently caress sae anyway

is it the eyeshadow

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Gen. Ripper posted:

Cheating at videogames: Unforgivable, we shall brainwash you into mending your ways.
Emotional abuse and returning a suicidally depressed teenager to her horrifically abusive relatives: Well your sister likes you and abuse never affects the victim's judgement. You're in the clear!

Uh, Makoto is not suicidally depressed and Sae has no history of abuse, one bad comment does not an emotionally abusive household make. Additionally Akechi was needling Makoto too, probably because he wanted her to do something rash around Kaneshiro to slow down Sae’s case.

Arist posted:

To be honest though, the problems with Sae as a character run kinda deep. Her "self-change of heart" doesn't feel all that earned even though the game literally operates almost entirely around it. The reason it's so possible for me to make jokes about her awfulness even after she saves the MC is because of that. Even if she's less adversarial and more mellow, the difference feels kind of weak and doesn't make up for her being a massive heel in like every single non-interrogation scene prior. Also she saves you from jail at the end, but any gratitude to that is diluted over all your other Confidants and also you're incarcerated for about five minutes.

See this I can agree with, and it’s the same thing as the game wanting you to feel sympathy for Akechi. Which personally I do but still recognise him as a monster. If you don’t max any confidants Sae and your friends still end up getting you out of Juvie.

Hopefully the extra 3 months at the end in Royal will fix this for Sae, Akechi seems unlikely to be a fixable story though.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

Uh, Makoto is not suicidally depressed and Sae has no history of abuse, one bad comment does not an emotionally abusive household make. Additionally Akechi was needling Makoto too, probably because he wanted her to do something rash around Kaneshiro to slow down Sae’s case.
Oh so Futaba doesn't exist to you. Man, no wonder you like Sae.