Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
anyone checked out palette tea house yet and have a trip report?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

Ranter posted:

Went on mother’s day and loved everything. XLB were perfect as expected. Got away with ~$100 for three people.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Ranter posted:

Maria the tablehopper lady posted a bunch of pretty IG pix and seemed to like it a lot but I don’t have a clue about her palate

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Maria is annoying as poo poo but has good taste. I have yet to hear anything but good things about Pallette. Soleil also liked it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Cool thanks I'm gonna check it out and report back

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

Cool thanks I'm gonna check it out and report back

Same, on Friday actually! It sounds really good and I love Koi Palace so very excited.

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Went on mother's day and loved everything. XLB were perfect as expected. Got away with ~$100 for three people.

Anything else you'd recommend? I'm going there for dinner and I've heard the menu's a little different, but would love any other insights :).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'll be doing lunch instead of dinner because I'm all about the cheung fun steamed rice rolls and their dinner menu is limited in this respect.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Carillon posted:

Anything else you'd recommend? I'm going there for dinner and I've heard the menu's a little different, but would love any other insights :).

Looks like they still have dim sum on the dinner menu, but we also enjoyed the string beans a lot and the grilled oysters and whole fish looked good. Caveat: we were a bit limited in what we could order because my sister was pregnant and really sensitive with smells. I do want to go back and get some more fishy, strong-smelling stuff next time.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Maria is annoying as poo poo but has good taste. I have yet to hear anything but good things about Pallette. Soleil also liked it.

Soleil is also annoying.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Soleil is also annoying.

Ugh, the worst. So useless. Like, that place doesn't even have a Michelin!

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 16, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

minato posted:

Go to Sol Food in San Rafael. It's inexpensive and insanely good. Try the Pollo al horno or the Po'Boy sandwich.

It's probably the best food in Marin, I used to live down the street from it. I'm shocked they don't have a place in the city yet

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

SFGate put out a bay area Michelin star restaurant guide recently. Their website layout is garbage, and the slideshow format they presented this in (140 images!) doubly so, so here's a deslided version: http://deslide.clusterfake.net/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfgate.com%2Ffood%2Fa%2Fsf-michelin-star-restaurants-california-13865113.php

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I went to Birdsong, and it was really good. The presentation of this dish was a little shocking though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
A friend posted a roast quail dish from some new restaurant in the bay area and they left the head on the plate too. New trend? I dont think it was bird song.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

404notfound posted:

SFGate put out a bay area Michelin star restaurant guide recently. Their website layout is garbage, and the slideshow format they presented this in (140 images!) doubly so, so here's a deslided version: http://deslide.clusterfake.net/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfgate.com%2Ffood%2Fa%2Fsf-michelin-star-restaurants-california-13865113.php

Anyone been to Kin Khao? I hadn't heard much about it but it looked good?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Carillon posted:

Anyone been to Kin Khao? I hadn't heard much about it but it looked good?

I had lunch there, which was good but not mind blowing. Definitely good bang per buck.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Doesn't deserve a star but it's a good contemporary take on Thai.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Yeah, Kin Khao is good but a little pricey. I've only gone for lunch so dinner might be worse value.

It's pretty good though, some of their dishes are very tasty.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Speaking of stars the new Michelin guide is out and apparently Saison had to surrender a star to a restaurant in *checks notes* Sacramento???

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Michelin is so overrated. $600,000 for this, huh?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Went to Mission Chinese for the first time. The first table they seated us at smelled of urine. Service was unfriendly and later on inattentive - that's their shtick / it's intentional? Plates were chipped, also intentional? Music was 80s revival/remix, some chvrches and other synth stuff. Food was OK. I won't go back unless I'm taking people from out of town and they're into that dirty divey bar hipster alt vibe, in a restaurant.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Pim from Kin Khao is batshit and obnoxious, her food is meh at best. Their original menu had a cocktail that changed color from blue to pink and was called the "Thai Ladyboy" which is gross and she wouldn't change it. I wouldn't give her a dime.

Mission Chinese is long past it's prime but the food is still good. That whole block smells of urine, nothing you can really do about it.

Birdsong is lovely, as is Nightbird.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Whoops wrong Bay Area thread.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Farmhouse Thai in Jack London Square has some legit-rear end food but only go there if you love restaurant birthdays

also definitely go there if you want to have a restaurant birthday cause they slam cymbals & gongs & stuff and its fun as hell

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Just went to Dyafa in Jack London Square a few nights ago. Service was meh but the food was delicious! Really interesting cocktails too. First time having Palestinian cuisine.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

amethystbliss posted:

Just went to Dyafa in Jack London Square a few nights ago. Service was meh but the food was delicious! Really interesting cocktails too. First time having Palestinian cuisine.

Dyafa and Reems are both very good

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

Farmhouse Thai in Jack London Square has some legit-rear end food but only go there if you love restaurant birthdays

There's one in mission / Potrero but the clientele was all bougie tech people when I went

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

luminalflux posted:

There's one in mission / Potrero but the clientele was all bougie tech people when I went

Carillon
May 9, 2014

luminalflux posted:

Sadly I feel that's pretty much #bayarea these days.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah, is the one in Oakland not $25/plate? I like Farmhouse, but I doubt the crowd in Oakland is any different. Or possibly, different but still yuppie scum (obviously not me, though).

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Where can I get good khao soi in SF? I had mindblowing northern thai in LA and i need more of it in my life

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

luminalflux posted:

Where can I get good khao soi in SF? I had mindblowing northern thai in LA and i need more of it in my life

They don’t have khao soo but Tycoon is an amazing place to go for Northern Thai food. I love the Nam Kao Tod and the Kao Piak

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Some northern Thai places, if you ask whether they have khao soi because you didn’t see it on the menu, are delighted to make it for you.

The rest will just say they don’t have it so you have nothing to lose except a little pride.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a spot in Chinatown? I have a friend in town and they want to go and eat in Chinatown and not the "american" style stuff they grew up with. I know it's not super well regarded from a culinary perspective, but I'd hope there is a few spots worth checking out.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Carillon posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a spot in Chinatown? I have a friend in town and they want to go and eat in Chinatown and not the "american" style stuff they grew up with. I know it's not super well regarded from a culinary perspective, but I'd hope there is a few spots worth checking out.

Does it have to be in Chinatown SF? Because if you're willing to travel a little to Milbrae, there are several really good Chinese places there.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

OGS-Remix posted:

Does it have to be in Chinatown SF? Because if you're willing to travel a little to Milbrae, there are several really good Chinese places there.

I know! I'd have loved to take the to take them to Royal Feast for instance, but yeah it's gonna be Chinatown.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Carillon posted:

I know! I'd have loved to take the to take them to Royal Feast for instance, but yeah it's gonna be Chinatown.

R&G lounge

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Carillon posted:

R&G Lounge is probably the best then yeah. I heard they changed owners though but I went a couple of weeks ago and it was still solid.

For other places you probably want some who can speak Chinese lol.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Carillon posted:

Chong Qing Xiao Mian is a really good spot for noodles.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

OGS-Remix posted:

R&G Lounge is probably the best then yeah. I heard they changed owners though but I went a couple of weeks ago and it was still solid.

For other places you probably want some who can speak Chinese lol.

Z&Y is decent and also more casual

You guys should also swing by Golden Gate Bakery on the off chance it's open. I've only ever been lucky once in my life, but I made it count :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
Probably not what you had in mind but if you want to spend a bunch of $$$, I got taken to Mister Jius once and had a great meal there.