Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1150898825491599362

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

look at this big idiot thinking that warren said she'd only rely on small-time donors

Condiv fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 16, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I do love how whatever provision made an "on behalf of" payment possible is a built-in way for big donors in general to completely bypass the donation limit.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
In the grand scheme of things I'm not sure if this is that big a deal. Bernie's the best candidate and a lot of stuff is minor quibbles overall between him and Warren who is a compromise candidate. We're not gonna get perfect but those two, I still feel though not 100% great, are the best shot we got to do something reasonable. Sanders being ideal with the candidates out there, Warren being someone we may be able to live with.

At least until President AOC in 2024 or 2028 after 1 - 2 term Sanders.

She's photogenic in that I want to see her behind the desk of the Oval Office with one hand and finger against her temple looking like King Conan or something.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Main Paineframe posted:

The funniest part is that while Biden is up there telling seniors how Medicare For All will kill cancer patients, the Biden Cancer Initiative is shutting down as a direct result of Biden's presidential campaign.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1150830684082249728

The organization itself says that it simply couldn't keep the attention of fundraisers, corporations, or political organizations without Biden's direct involvement, and therefore the organization has seen its progress grind to a halt after Biden stepped down to run for president. Every reporter that's noticed the shutdown, however, also seemed to think that it might have had something to do with ethics concerns for a possible Biden presidency, given the organization's close ties to corporate interests.

Either way, it cracks me up that the presidential candidate who's promising to cure cancer has caused the collapse of their own anti-cancer initiative by abandoning it to run for president.

If I remember right, that organization didn't give grants or actually do anything to measurably combat cancer in the first place, but rather was yet another way to funnel dark money and patronage.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gatts posted:

In the grand scheme of things I'm not sure if this is that big a deal. Bernie's the best candidate and a lot of stuff is minor quibbles overall between him and Warren who is a compromise candidate.

bernie is the compromise

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Please clap.

Ruminahui
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

:discourse:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Gotta say I wasn't expecting the old "well it's OK to take bribes as long as you pinky swear that you won't give anything in return" argument, but here we are.

Are you new to D&D

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I cant imagine why people would think that Warren is a faithless Republican-in-sheep's-clothing who doesn't actually hold progressive values but is willing to give them lip service for votes.

Just a complete mystery.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Noun, Verb, President Obama.

Pretty nice endorsement for Warren here:

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1150930306649776128

https://twitter.com/CillizzaCNN/status/1150935263041994752

Also, was Beto's campaign such a disaster that he can't even go run for Senate?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 16, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They're correct, in a sense. Sander's is still considered unviable by most folks inside the beltway, so to them, Warren is the furthest left candidate who has a shot in the election.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Beto got outraised by Klobuchar.

:laffo:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

mcmagic posted:

He hosed up huge because if he tries to run for Senate after this he is rightly going to be raked over the coals for being a dipshit loser who only came back because his presidential campaign failed miserably.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Oh Snapple! posted:

He hosed up huge because if he tries to run for Senate after this he is rightly going to be raked over the coals for being a dipshit loser who only came back because his presidential campaign failed miserably.

just run castro

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

mcmagic posted:

yeah like the only reason anyone gave a gently caress about his original senate campaign was that (going into it) he had a chance to throw out ted cruz. but he wasn't consistent. like, he did a few objectively good things like that thing about why kneeling during the anthem is Good, Actually, but didn't capitalize on it with actual substantial policy ideas. he was about 98% kick flips and not being ted cruz

his presidential run got rid of the objectively good stuff to hoard political capital and doubled down on the kick flips so :rip: at least he can probably get a job at heb

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/thomaskaplan/status/1150963465806331905

https://twitter.com/thomaskaplan/status/1150969651213586432

I'm kind of surprised Biden has burned through his money so quickly.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mormonpartyboat posted:

yeah like the only reason anyone gave a gently caress about his original senate campaign was that (going into it) he had a chance to throw out ted cruz. but he wasn't consistent. like, he did a few objectively good things like that thing about why kneeling during the anthem is Good, Actually, but didn't capitalize on it with actual substantial policy ideas. he was about 98% kick flips and not being ted cruz

his presidential run got rid of the objectively good stuff to hoard political capital and doubled down on the kick flips so :rip: at least he can probably get a job at heb

He apparently did a TON to win downballot races in Texas, he was legitimately well liked.

I don't see a situation in today's world where a Texas Democrat wins a presidential primary. You have to make too many compromises to do well in Texas that are going to be directly against primary voter priorities

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m not. Before he declared he had no staff or campaign infrastructure somehow, despite the fact that he had been planning to run since like 2016. So I have to think that most of his money went to just hiring people

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

Rubio did it in 2016, so it's not impossible.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Charlz Guybon posted:

Rubio did it in 2016, so it's not impossible.

Rubio had incumbency

I think Beto could still do it if he has a good second debate. He'd need to have a miraculous debate to get back into the presidential race, but he could turn a good debate performance into enough respectability to try again for Senate. Right now I feel like Castro is in a way better place.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
https://twitter.com/AdamSextonWMUR/status/1150869071770128385?s=19

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, if nothing else I'm glad to see Biden continue losing steam as he is easily the worst of the likely candidates.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Always linking the quality polls with the best samples.

Such as this one, where once again Biden is somehow crushing Sanders with the 18-34 demographic. Though perhaps it's understandable since this poll didn't actually check if the people they were polling were Democrats, considering a full 20% of respondents identified themselves as conservatives.

Even better, 1/3rd of the sample is college grads and another 1/3rd have graduate degrees. For comparison 68% of Americans do not have a college degree and only 10% of US adults have a postgraduate degree. But hey, maybe the primary electorate will end up being 70% college graduates who skew conservative. You never know!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

Noun, Verb, President Obama.

Pretty nice endorsement for Warren here:

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1150930306649776128

She is extremely dangerous to us all.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

theflyingorc posted:

He apparently did a TON to win downballot races in Texas, he was legitimately well liked.

which was unearned. there was no real primary, and the general debates were a loving horrorshow of incompetence

he just wasn't ted cruz and positioned himself as a white obama with a skateboard instead of shoot hoop

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

he just wasn't ted cruz and positioned himself as a white obama with a skateboard instead of shoot hoop

An obvious blunder. Shoot hoop > push board.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

mormonpartyboat posted:

which was unearned. there was no real primary, and the general debates were a loving horrorshow of incompetence

I think Texas Democrats liked him because he was the candidate in ages with a pulse. I have a lot of family in Texas and they were so happy to not have an obvious loser running for once.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I love that you're pinning your hopes to a pollster that's too dumb for even FiveThirtyEight to rate it.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Though perhaps it's understandable since this poll didn't actually check if the people they were polling were Democrats, considering a full 20% of respondents identified themselves as conservatives.

Even better, 1/3rd of the sample is college grads and another 1/3rd have graduate degrees. For comparison 68% of Americans do not have a college degree and only 10% of US adults have a postgraduate degree. But hey, maybe the primary electorate will end up being 70% college graduates who skew conservative. You never know!

what % of of the 2016 NH democratic primary electorate was college educated and what % was conservative?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It kinda gives away the game that the media is even reporting that poll. The idea is to sell the impression that Sanders isn't "electable" (and from my limited subjective experience it seems to be working fairly well - you can't underestimate the extent to which most Americans over the age of ~50 have their opinions basically dictated to them word for word by the media).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

It kinda gives away the game that the media is even reporting that poll. The idea is to sell the impression that Sanders isn't "electable" (and from my limited subjective experience it seems to be working fairly well - you can't underestimate the extent to which most Americans over the age of ~50 have their opinions basically dictated to them word for word by the media).

Plus, of course, they want to discourage uppity Sanders supporters who don't know their place.

Not that anyone in this very thread is trying to do that, of course.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Oh yeah, Tom Steyer is running for president.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1151022207054897152?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Typo posted:

just run castro

Run both Castros.

Run them Castros fast

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m not. Before he declared he had no staff or campaign infrastructure somehow, despite the fact that he had been planning to run since like 2016. So I have to think that most of his money went to just hiring people

Dipshit consultants are most expensive.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/lyta_gold/status/1150856413561917440

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gotta be honest, I was not expecting him to open his campaign with a plea to leave Beyonce's money alone.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Condiv posted:

look at this big idiot thinking that warren said she'd only rely on small-time donors

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/16/711812314/tracking-the-money-race-behind-the-presidential-campaign
According to those charts though Warren and Bernie got roughly the same from pacs and "large dollar donations" (>200).
Warren is also third overall in fundraising (1 is Trump, 2 Sanders) and only behind Bernie in small dollar donations. For someone who you keep insisting she's going to be swimming in the big money she isn't.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 16, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Bernie wants to ban our biggest source of clean energy so I guess we are all dead no matter what.

Warren/Williamson 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
The endorsment that matters
https://twitter.com/iamcardib/status/1151103646219812865