Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sorry for the double post, but in the lighter side of misogyny in comics

https://twitter.com/pencilforge/status/1150457814084739072?s=19

"Gender bent Hulk"

Probably thinks Captain America was one of the original Avengers and Ant-man wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

The only legit "ethics in gaming journalism" thing I've seen is when a staff writer at IGN (you know this is an old story because IGN had staff writers) gave Kaine & Lynch 2 like a 6.5/10 and that week the publisher had paid to completely blanket the website in Kaine & Lynch poo poo. I think they fired the guy when he wouldn't change his review.

This was Gerstmann. It was Gamespot and he was EIC at the time. They threatened to pull the ads, the owners freaked out, and he got fired. A bunch of other people all quit with him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vince MechMahon posted:

This was Gerstmann. It was Gamespot and he was EIC at the time. They threatened to pull the ads, the owners freaked out, and he got fired. A bunch of other people all quit with him.

Ah, thanks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Ah, thanks.

When giant bomb, the site him and the others founded after it all, got bought by CBS who also now own GameSpot he was finally able to talk openly about it. He couldn't previously because he sued them for wrongful termination and in the settlement had to sign NDA stuff. So for a while it was open and everyone knew but there was no confirmation. But when that happened he was able to go "it happened exactly like that."

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Funnily, while the Kane & Lynch 2 thing is basically completely irrelevant to GamerGate (because they don't car about ethics) one of the first big proto-GamerGate flareups was people being angry at Gerstmann for giving Twilight Princess an 8.8 score before the game was even out

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Threep posted:

Funnily, while the Kane & Lynch 2 thing is basically completely irrelevant to GamerGate (because they don't car about ethics) one of the first big proto-GamerGate flareups was people being angry at Gerstmann for giving Twilight Princess an 8.8 score before the game was even out

The best part is, in retrospect, that was a very generous score for that game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nowadays they'd be glad a Zelda got the hitler number.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think 8.8 is perfectly fine for Twilight Princess. It was a perfectly good game, if nothing special or unique.

Anyway, when there was an actual post-GG ethics issue with IGN publishing a guy's review that he plagiarized from YouTube, they immediately pulled the reviews and fired the guy after investigating. Like they should do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only time I've legit gotten pissed at a video game review was gamespot's 3/10 review of Double Dragon Neon. Like sure, some games are a 3/10, but that game was one of my favorites of all time, and an entry in a series I'm emotionally attached to, had an amazing soundtrack and obvious love of the series put into it, really funny, etc. And the reviewer got several basic facts about the game blatantly wrong, and opened his review by saying the entire beat-em-up genre is poo poo.

If it had been a AAA game you can bet your rear end they wouldn't have dared get someone who obviously hates the very genre to just poo poo on it from on high and not do basic research.

Getting pissed because a Zelda didn't get a 10 is missing the actual problems built into the video game review industry.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Lurdiak posted:

missing the actual problems built into the video game review industry.
Yep, that's the definition of GamerGate's version of ethics

Would also be ComicGate's except they don't even really try to hide behind that bullshit

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ih for gently caress's sake.

https://twitter.com/chuubilee/status/1150796719170285568?s=19

What games are he playing where the women don't have hyper-idealized bodies?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

JUICY THIGHS

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Poor guy's been playing all those squared boobed games give him a break!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've literally never heard of that site and it looks like it was designed when UA1 came out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Totally shocked that this person focused on round boobs and juicy thighs.

https://twitter.com/OneAngryGamerHD/status/827323536662548482

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > ComicsGate/Industry Terribleness Thread - Juicey Thighs

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Endless Mike posted:

I've literally never heard of that site and it looks like it was designed when UA1 came out.

You were better off. That's One Angry Gamer, which is a feed full of red meat for the kinds of people who still support both Comics- and GamerGate. Calling it "games journalism" is a misnomer, even for that particular field, as it's naked right-wing agitprop in the guise of what's nominally a news site.

Skwirl posted:

What games are he playing where the women don't have hyper-idealized bodies?

What he means is that some of them are showing skin.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Regy Rusty posted:

JUICY THIGHS

I was stuck on this one for a while, I won't lie.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I was stuck on this one for a while, I won't lie.

I, too, like big butts.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is One Angry Gamer the pro-Kramer Grate (I will not give that 'movement' the dignity of a correct spelling) Destructoid reviewer that was fired for being way too odious about it?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Lol I looked at his twitter and yikes

https://twitter.com/OneAngryGamerHD/status/1151122033474002944?s=20
https://twitter.com/OneAngryGamerHD/status/1150953302642896898?s=20

#bonerculture

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
We sold 7 copies of Black Cat #1, out of 20.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
That's too bad, it's delightful. I hate that this guy approves of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oneangrygamer is basically a nazi as well as an obvious misogynist. All youtube gamers are bad, but he's one of the worst.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Huh, it's actually accurate. I'm both surprised and glad it did that well, but I doubt it was TITTIES! that did it.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

X-O posted:

One Angry Gamer isn't just a racist and a pervert, he's also a hypocrite and "loli-lover." Meanwhile on his website he's screeching about how drag queens and cross-dressers are pedophiles.

https://twitter.com/OneAngryGamerHD/status/1137596651143618561

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somberbrero posted:

We sold 7 copies of Black Cat #1, out of 20.

It's written by a goon and it's good stuff.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Dawgstar posted:

It's written by a goon and it's good stuff.

That's cool, I feel like an rear end in a top hat now. Sorry!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somberbrero posted:

That's cool, I feel like an rear end in a top hat now. Sorry!

Oh, that was not the intent. I just didn't want you to dismiss it because some Nazi gamer dork liked it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

X-O posted:

Poor guy's been playing all those squared boobed games give him a break!

Square Boobs is my favorite silent comedy series about slapstick Final Fantasy devs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, that was not the intent. I just didn't want you to dismiss it because some Nazi gamer dork liked it.

Or because of the covers. The story doesn’t cater to the same people the cover does.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Open Marriage Night posted:

Or because of the covers. The story doesn’t cater to the same people the cover does.

I'm glad Marvel is bringing back the Emma Frost gambit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1151183504841093121

Blackface Lawyer remains a barely-sapient turd dropped from Satan's rear end in a top hat.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

X-O posted:

Did online nerds being angry and awful come before the 2000s "angry internet review nerd" shtick, or did that review culture make the nerds worse? It feels like a real chicken and egg situation.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Red Bones posted:

Did online nerds being angry and awful come before the 2000s "angry internet review nerd" shtick

Yes. If there's one thing I've learned from a couple of podcasts re-examining media of the 90s, animation especially, and trying to find context of the era - even newsgroups were a loving nightmare of hate. Fans turned on the Simpsons as soon as season 4, albeit not to the same frothing, open bigotry extremes of modern internet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I'm glad Marvel is bringing back the Emma Frost gambit.

Black Cat doesn't have any real cheesecake inside, but at least she's wearing the same outfit on the cover as in the comic.

Also, because I've learned way to many words through X-Men codenames instead of their actual meaning there was a moment where I thought there was a what if or alternate universe where Emma Frost was Gambit instead of Remy Lebeau.

Edit: those loving Emma Frost covers seriously hurt the series, because the people buying it for the cover were going to hate the inside and the people who might like the actual comic would hate the covers enough they wouldn't even look at the book.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 17, 2019

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Red Bones posted:

Did online nerds being angry and awful come before the 2000s "angry internet review nerd" shtick, or did that review culture make the nerds worse? It feels like a real chicken and egg situation.

It started as people aping the angry video game nerd but not realizing James Rolfe is actually a pretty normal guy who was doing a character. It evolved from there.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Vince MechMahon posted:

It started as people aping the angry video game nerd but not realizing James Rolfe is actually a pretty normal guy who was doing a character. It evolved from there.

James iirc was actually parodying a few other reviewers he'd seen, he just became more prominent than what he was aping (like how my old roommate had seen Dracula Dead & Loving It but had never seen Bram Stroker's Dracula)

also I think Maddox was doing The Best Page in the Universe before that, also a strong influencer of the "being an rear end in a top hat is entertaining in and of itself, right?" genre

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
James legit seems to be one of the nicest fuckers ever, it's a shame he inspired so many shitheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/questauthority/status/1151183504841093121

Blackface Lawyer remains a barely-sapient turd dropped from Satan's rear end in a top hat.

The video is worse.
https://twitter.com/TheBrownFolder/status/1151217130962112522