Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tei posted:

I googled you last remark, and it seems it was signed by Isabel (Queen of Aragon) and Fernando (King of Castilla). Isabel and Fernando had the same power. So it was not only Castilla, Aragon took part of it.

I am aragones myself, so this point is important to me. I know Spain did not existed by then, but if you want to go to that level, you could say Castilla y Aragon.

What I meant is that Castilla is what's written on the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Count Roland posted:

I think its pretty well done myself; maps with overlapping sections and notes from different eras are very tricky.

It's a cool idea but the implementation is garish, and there are a few glaring exceptions like the Omani Empire is missing. Mexican and Brazilian I can see leaving out since they were so short lived / similar to modern borders, respectively.

Also I see now that the Incan and Aztec Empires are indeed marked... but why did they both get tiny text and almost invisible delineations? The marker for the Incan empire is barely more visible than the delineation of Texas.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Count Roland posted:

What I meant is that Castilla is what's written on the map.

Thanks anyway for giving me half a excuse to talk about ridiculous things :D

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Tei posted:

politically-loaded maps: I am aragones myself, so this point is important to me.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
wasn't aragon that terrible movie about a dragon or something

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Peanut President posted:

No you're thinking of that one guy in lord of the rings

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Peanut President posted:

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Saladman posted:

It's a cool idea but the implementation is garish, and there are a few glaring exceptions like the Omani Empire is missing. Mexican and Brazilian I can see leaving out since they were so short lived / similar to modern borders, respectively.

Also I see now that the Incan and Aztec Empires are indeed marked... but why did they both get tiny text and almost invisible delineations? The marker for the Incan empire is barely more visible than the delineation of Texas.

The map also makes a strange choice (to be charitable) by ignoring empires within Western Europe but not elsewhere in Europe. If you really want to commit to details like making the distinction between Spain and the Crown of Castile with regard to the Treaty of Tordesillas, at least be consistent and correct and don’t leave out Sicily, Naples, Milan, the Low Countries, Franche-Comté, etc.; or Gibraltar and Menorca; and so on.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Peanut President posted:

that's eragon

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Elyv posted:

that's eragon

:thejoke:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
His Catholic Majesty, the King of Spain, King of Castile, of León, of Aragon, of the Two Sicilies, of Jerusalem, of Navarre, of Granada, of Seville, of Toledo, of Valencia, of Galicia, of Sardinia, of Córdoba, of Corsica, of Murcia, of Jaén, of the Algarves, of Algeciras, of Gibraltar, of the Canary Islands, of the East and West Indies, of the Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea; Archduke of Austria; Duke of Burgundy, of Brabant, of Milan, of Athens and Neopatria; Count of Habsburg, of Flanders, of Tyrol, of Roussillon, and of Barcelona; Lord of Biscay and of Molina de Aragón; Captain General & Supreme Commander of the Royal Armed Forces; Sovereign Grand Master of the Order of the Golden Fleece and of the orders awarded by the Spanish state

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Platystemon posted:

His Catholic Majesty, the King of Spain, King of Castile, of León, of Aragon, of the Two Sicilies, of Jerusalem, of Navarre, of Granada, of Seville, of Toledo, of Valencia, of Galicia, of Sardinia, of Córdoba, of Corsica, of Murcia, of Jaén, of the Algarves, of Algeciras, of Gibraltar, of the Canary Islands, of the East and West Indies, of the Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea; Archduke of Austria; Duke of Burgundy, of Brabant, of Milan, of Athens and Neopatria; Count of Habsburg, of Flanders, of Tyrol, of Roussillon, and of Barcelona; Lord of Biscay and of Molina de Aragón; Captain General & Supreme Commander of the Royal Armed Forces; Sovereign Grand Master of the Order of the Golden Fleece and of the orders awarded by the Spanish state

Some of these are not like the others. Also why “of jerusalem”. Is this a medievalism where you send one guy to the crusades and from that point you can add that to your name?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tei posted:

Also why “of jerusalem”.

Why Athens?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
You don't have to send anyone. Just claim a title even though your ancestor that died centuries ago was the last to rule it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lycus posted:

You don't have to send anyone. Just claim a title even though your ancestor that died centuries ago was the last to rule it.

Yeah I mean "why of Spain?" is just as good a question.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Because Aragon controlled the Duchy of Athens from 1312 until 1388, having effectively inherited it from the rogue Catalan mercenary army that conquered much of southern Greece in 1311. This is part of the little-known phase of Iberian control of large parts of Greece prior to Venetian conquest in the late 14th c.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MeinPanzer posted:

Because Aragon controlled the Duchy of Athens from 1312 until 1388, having effectively inherited it from the rogue Catalan mercenary army that conquered much of southern Greece in 1311. This is part of the little-known phase of Iberian control of large parts of Greece prior to Venetian conquest in the late 14th c.

It was a rhetorical question but thanks :tipshat: (I thought it would have something to do with the crusades as well but :shrug:)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The relic titles, and in particular “King of Jerusalem”, really inflame the passions of Catholic extremists, monarchists, and conspiracy theorists.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Tei posted:

Some of these are not like the others. Also why “of jerusalem”. Is this a medievalism where you send one guy to the crusades and from that point you can add that to your name?

The Spanish monarchy claims the crown of Jerusalem via a rather tenuous claim by the kings of Naples dating back to the thirteenth century. Via an alternate series of claims involving the Kingdom of Cyprus, the crown of Jerusalem was also claimed by the Italian monarchy until its abolition.

The fact that the Kingdom of Jerusalem has not actually existed for seven hundred years should be considered a purely academic detail when it comes to these claims.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I thought you were building up to a norwegian football commentator style "your boys took a hell of a beating".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular, King of Scotland.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

they forgot to include corsica

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular, King of Scotland.
You forgot "reputed amateur of Long Pork and good friend of the crocodiles."

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

MeinPanzer posted:

They should've no-CB declared on Byzantium in order to steal Constantinople out from under the noses of the Ottomans. Everybody knows that's how you kneecap the Ottos and stop them from running away with the game.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Jerry Cotton posted:

It was a rhetorical question but thanks :tipshat: (I thought it would have something to do with the crusades as well but :shrug:)

It does have something to do with the Crusades, fourth.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

This page is very upsetting.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Angry Salami posted:

The Spanish monarchy claims the crown of Jerusalem via a rather tenuous claim by the kings of Naples dating back to the thirteenth century. Via an alternate series of claims involving the Kingdom of Cyprus, the crown of Jerusalem was also claimed by the Italian monarchy until its abolition.

I like the image of some Catholic knight standing on the Cyprus east coast with a megaphone yelling across the water at the mainland Levant.
"YEAH DONT THINK WERE GONE DUDE, WE AINT LEFT YET. STILL THE KINGS OF JERUSALEMMMMM, ANY DAY NOW GONNA COME BACK OVER. WATCH IT."

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/pkedrosky/status/1151117735625052160

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Excellent username/post combo.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
30 years from now, President Barron Trump will declare war on China because of the damage caused by the Chinese Hoax.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

30 years from now, President Barron Trump will declare war on China because of the damage caused by the Chinese Hoax.
Yeah and i hope the nukes kill the one million humans still alive.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's fitting that the loving south gets the worst of it since they're the ones holding everything back. The only shame of it is the god damned boomers will be long dead by that point.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Milo and POTUS posted:

The only shame of it is the god damned boomers will be long dead by that point.

I mean, I totally get what you are saying, but it's really hard to feel regret at that idea regardless of the circumstances. Silver lining and all that.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's fitting that the loving south gets the worst of it since they're the ones holding everything back. The only shame of it is the god damned boomers will be long dead by that point.

If only an enlightened billionaire from New York was in power

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Good thing there aren’t millions of disenfranchised people in the south, mostly minorities. That would be a real shame.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i too like to interpret historical patterns of rural/urban development along arbitrary jurisdictional lines from a moral perspective where i live on the correct, good side of the line and those live on the other side are incorrect, shameful

very important to my political identity, my position re: this line

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

luxury handset posted:

i too like to interpret historical patterns of rural/urban development along arbitrary jurisdictional lines from a moral perspective where i live on the correct, good side of the line and those live on the other side are incorrect, shameful

very important to my political identity, my position re: this line

I mean this is the map thread and that's in fact how national borders work.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
politically-loaded lines

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guavanaut posted:

politically-loaded lines

So, there's a little bit of terra nullius between these three states?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cat Mattress posted:

So, there's a little bit of terra nullius between these three states?
There was, but it was made part of Delaware in the 1920s.