Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011
Upgraded poetics/shire/scaeven will last you about halfway through the next expansion, so you should grab those you think you'll level. Other than that poetics drop like candy so don't stress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Spend it on ironworks, you'll have more than enough for shire sets when you get there.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Music has been datamined.

Verdict: Continues to be the best expansion.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Holy crap that Force Your Way remix is too loving good

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
As someone who never meaningfully got into that FF that they're now pulling references from, tell me what I'm missing.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 16, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As someone who never meaningfully got into that FF that they're now puling references from, tell me what I'm missing.
FF8 is a game that ranges from okay to blah, but it has good-rear end music.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait for the raids full of Squall cosplayers.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As someone who never meaningfully got into that FF that they're now pulling references from, tell me what I'm missing.

A lot of this expansion is FF3/FF8 themed:

FF3 Mostly the Crystal Tower stuff, the overworld theme was used in the ShB trailer
FF8 Gun Breaker/Gun Blades originated from the game, Eden is a summon from the game that is now a raid, Force Your Way is the generic battle music

Probably a whole bunch more that I don't remember

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

This Reddit post for "how to spend Poetics" has been updated for 5.0.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/ahgd6j/how_to_spend_poetics/

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As someone who never meaningfully got into that FF that they're now puling references from, tell me what I'm missing.
FF8 is a story about love.

It's a story about relationships and what they mean.

It's also a story where a good 2/3rds of it is had by ignoring plot threads right in front of you and running around places you've been in for the past ten minutes because for some strange reason the dialogue has changed and is going to change again once you take that plot thread that's right there.

Also gently caress Odine forever.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Squall is Dead

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

EponymousMrYar posted:

FF8 is a story about love.

It's a story about relationships and what they mean.

It's also a story where a good 2/3rds of it is had by ignoring plot threads right in front of you and running around places you've been in for the past ten minutes because for some strange reason the dialogue has changed and is going to change again once you take that plot thread that's right there.

Also gently caress Odine forever.

I like FF8 and FFX for the same reasons. Their plots are monumentally stupid but the games are far more about the characters, their interactions and their development on the journey than whatever reason it is that you're heading off to face a giant ghost pillbug or whatever. It doesn't really excuse how bad they can be at times but they've got their moments.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

FFX has a good story.

I also feel FF8 doesn’t do as much with its party as it should. A bunch of characters needed more fleshing out and focus.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

cleared the first two fights and i would do more but i'm sleepy

the second fight's mechanics are cool as poo poo and i can't wait to see it on savage

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Fight 2 is so fun, hahaha

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
Finished the raid. It's all very good and seems like it'll translate well to Savage. The music whips also.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know I'm a thousand pages behind but I've finished the Shadowbringers main story now (avoided the thread for fear of spoilers) and first of all let me say:

:tviv:

Heavensward was fantastic and I enjoyed Stormbringers too, but this blows everything previous completely out of the water. I haven't been this engrossed in an RPG since the Bravely games and I still can't believe this is from an MMO. I cried. Multiple times. I'm also astonished at how FFXIV manages to keep and use plot threads from years back and just in general how much stuff "makes sense" in universe, like everything was meticulously planned from the beginning. I was grinning from ear to ear when (post-MSQ dungeon) I got to the final boss in the Twinning and the Alexander music started playing. Of course! :allears: Also just the entire dungeon in general, holy poo poo. And the music! Every track is more amazing than the last.

I really loved the addition of the trust system, since one of my biggest gripes with FFXIV was always the build up to an awesome story moment followed by "Duty Unlocked! Average wait: More than 30 min" I've also spent way more time than any human should on the Squadron system so it's really nice to have NPC party members that do mechanics and stuff, even if it takes all of their concentration to do so.

anyway there's too much awesome stuff to talk about so here's the obligatory final boss cutscene screenshot:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Eden 4, AKA Titan 2: Titank owns. Also it's real hard to LB3 in it once everyone falls to their doom, but I think my sacrifice was worth it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Eden 4 without spoilers:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Eden 4 is so hard jesus

Nyfrin
Jul 8, 2006

Even though I finished the MSQ a good bit ago, it's taken me a while to catch up on the thread as well as all the spoilers. Y'all some crazy lore-loving nuts, and I appreciate that.

Obligatory bandwagon screenshot:

People have already talked at length about the amazing story, but I want to share an unpopular opinion about the healer questline - While by the end Giott had redeemed herself to me, am I the only one that got really, really tired of the "Oh ho, I drink a LOT, like ALL THE TIME" stuff? Sure, you gotta fit into the sterotype to break out of it, but it just grated on me. I get it, you're a dwarf, you drink, I've got the concept, now shut the hell up about it already.

And 5.01 minor spoiler that I can't resist.

Roadtrip time!

Nyfrin fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 16, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

Eden 4, AKA Titan 2: Titank owns. Also it's real hard to LB3 in it once everyone falls to their doom, but I think my sacrifice was worth it.

"The landslides.... the landslides...

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Went into Eden and made a friend.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Raids: First Eden raid is pretty fun, lots of stuff that will kill you mercilessly but is totally avoidable once you know what's going on.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I can't believe my stupid lovely scholar circle is less lovely now.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Pharohman777 posted:

Make it an orange fat chocobo to coincide with the cheetos flavored stuff kfc is currently offering in the US.

With every movement cheeto dust falls off the fat chocobo's feathers.

According to the black chocobo hatchling minion's text, the reason it's black is because someone dumped ink all over it. So covering a chocobo with Cheetos to make it neon orange is theoretically possible.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The one healer change seems like a good quality of life change. Art of War and Gravity are both reduced to 600 mp to match WHM holy.

Not a huge change, but it should help some with MP efficiency on dungeon trash.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yoko Taro's good and all but I really wish we were getting a Sin raid instead Of a Nier one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish tanks could wear the Eden maiming gear. It looks extremely rad and while the fending gear is cool, it's also very Paladin and would look off on my Gunbreaker.

I suppose I'll have to pin my hopes for cool new GNB glams on the next tomestome gear.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So, as someone who has never raided xiv content when it was releasing. Do we get all four wings today? Or one per week then Savage?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kurieg posted:

So, as someone who has never raided xiv content when it was releasing. Do we get all four wings today? Or one per week then Savage?

We get four boss fights, each with their own instance if that's what you mean. Not sure when we get Savage.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kurieg posted:

All four now, savage in two weeks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

The one healer change seems like a good quality of life change. Art of War and Gravity are both reduced to 600 mp to match WHM holy.

Not a huge change, but it should help some with MP efficiency on dungeon trash.

It's genuinely a huge change, at least in terms of enjoyment. I've mentioned how much I dislike Holminster on healers, but I especially loathed it on SCH. The structure between the first and second boss and the second and last boss leave you with almost no time to regen MP out of combat, so I had to cut my DPS and otherwise perfectly optimize my abilities if I wanted to end up with something more than, like, 500 MP at the end of each section. It was extremely nervewracking and not especially fun to have to play so perfectly just for a dungeon run.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Vague Eden Spoilers What is it with Nomura and amnesiac characters?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Someone rap with me on SUM here. I've been kicking around what mage role I want to level for the role quests and right now SUM is my highest level of the dps casters (BLM and RDM are both 50, SUM is 60) as a holdover from when SCH was my main healer in HW. I feel like SUM has always been kind of a huge mess that has to spin a lot of plates and manage a lot of timers to essentially do what RDM now does (but the latter does it a lot easier). It seems like the effort : payout ratio is out of whack when they seem kind of middling even with perfect play. If you're not bringing your A game, you just seem to flounder. I feel like if there were a few less things to mind it would make the flow a little easier to bear. It feels like they ought to do what they did for Scholars and just merge Bio and Miasma and give you one DoT that does the combined damage. In addition, while it's nice to have the tactile control of your pet, I think they really ought to have an option to auto-cast at least Igi assault 1 since in the case of Garuda and Ifrit it really doesn't do enough damage over a standard pet attack to warrant a hotbar button.

Don't get me wrong, it's a class I really like thematically, but it hard for me to get excited about it when it just feels both busy and anemic.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Rapping about Σ

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

DeathSandwich posted:

Someone rap with me on SUM here. I've been kicking around what mage role I want to level for the role quests and right now SUM is my highest level of the dps casters (BLM and RDM are both 50, SUM is 60) as a holdover from when SCH was my main healer in HW. I feel like SUM has always been kind of a huge mess that has to spin a lot of plates and manage a lot of timers to essentially do what RDM now does (but the latter does it a lot easier). It seems like the effort : payout ratio is out of whack when they seem kind of middling even with perfect play. If you're not bringing your A game, you just seem to flounder. I feel like if there were a few less things to mind it would make the flow a little easier to bear.

SMN gets flashier than it is at 60, but it absolutely does not get any less busy. BLM isn't busy exactly but losing the thread of your rotation can be more punishing on them than any other class (maybe other than MCH? I don't play them). I think RDM is much smoother and fits what you've said here best.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

DeathSandwich posted:

Someone rap with me on SUM here. I've been kicking around what mage role I want to level for the role quests and right now SUM is my highest level of the dps casters (BLM and RDM are both 50, SUM is 60) as a holdover from when SCH was my main healer in HW. I feel like SUM has always been kind of a huge mess that has to spin a lot of plates and manage a lot of timers to essentially do what RDM now does (but the latter does it a lot easier). It seems like the effort : payout ratio is out of whack when they seem kind of middling even with perfect play. If you're not bringing your A game, you just seem to flounder. I feel like if there were a few less things to mind it would make the flow a little easier to bear. It feels like they ought to do what they did for Scholars and just merge Bio and Miasma and give you one DoT that does the combined damage. In addition, while it's nice to have the tactile control of your pet, I think they really ought to have an option to auto-cast at least Igi assault 1 since in the case of Garuda and Ifrit it really doesn't do enough damage over a standard pet attack to warrant a hotbar button.

Don't get me wrong, it's a class I really like thematically, but it hard for me to get excited about it when it just feels both busy and anemic.

1) Summoner's abreviation is SMN.
2)It used to be very difficult to do good DPS as SMN since you had to line up your cooldowns, It's better about that, but now it's basically john loving madden with the button pressing. In a just world you could use the Egi-Attacks while you're casting other spells but I don't think Squenix's infrastructure is set up to allow that.

If all you want to see is big numbers, BLM is the class for you. If you like the utility that SMN brings but wish it was a bit less clunky, RDM is for you.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Finished the Eden fights.

Fight #2 is going to be pretty interesting on Savage from a mechanics standpoint.

Fight #4 is going to be loving nuts though.

I found it hilarious that not only did WoL somehow end up imagining Leviathan with an extra head, but we literally have the Titanmobile. It would be hilarious if Savage ended u giving him a new form like a Titancopter. PUG also flamed Titan for looking like Mecha-Thanos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Kurieg posted:

It's worth noting: they are not "wings" in the Warcraft sense. Eden's Gate is not going to be a dozen-boss raid. XIV goes for raid tiers with fewer but more complex bosses; each one has four (though Omega had essentially five per, with a substantial "gatekeeper" boss in each final boss area). These are, especially with the later bosses, complex enough to be what would usually be two bosses in many other titles. Don't go in expecting a sprawling labyrinth; Eden, especially, is not about that (though I was a bit amused at how there's not even the hint of trash).

The Savage mode for Eden will open in two weeks.

Also, (mostly) non-spoiler stuff concerning Eden: I'm fairly sure that the writer for this story isn't Ishikawa (she's credited with the main scenario of ShB), and good lord does it feel obvious now. If anything it feels a bit like a weakness of development at this point; the tone shifts in some of the characters, and the overall approach to the narrative and how it's being constructed, is jarring. Also, at this point I'm bristling slightly at the really obvious steps being taken to dis-joint this narrative from anything else going on in the world; I'm feeling less sanguine about this having much effect on the overall narrative in the near future, aside from Eden being a larger lore piece than just a thing on the First. It's clear it isn't just the "first sin eater" and I now have some questions about what instigated the Flood of the Thirteenth.

That said, the visual design, music, and fight design of the new raid all slaps, so it's still a great time. But after the incredibly well-put-together narrative of the ShB main quest, Eden... does feel like a bit of a step down. Almost anything would have, yes, but...