Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1150146344973033472?s=19

Part of a back and forth about wrestlers and coaches. Got a bit personal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing with Nyla Rose and not mentioning that’s she’s trans is that it’s a lost opportunity to provide a role model to a younger person who needs someone to look up to, and also to help normalize it. Sonny talked about wanting to be a role model in one of the promo videos in the context of how he presents himself. That’s why I assume at some point it it will end up coming up, if Nyla wants to be that role model.

Otherwise it doesn’t need to. I watched double or nothing and had no clue. I only found out because of here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's a tricky thing to handle from a PR perspective. Push it too hard and it can seem exploitative and insincere, but ignore it and it can come off like AEW is trying to hide her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

If you've ever wanted to hear Hulk's thoughts on his big WCW run well, he ignores most of it to make up stories about celebrities!

I know Hogan loves to talk himself up, but I never would have thought he loved talking himself up so much that it would override talking himself up on another matter!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jordan7hm posted:

The only thing with Nyla Rose and not mentioning that’s she’s trans is that it’s a lost opportunity to provide a role model to a younger person who needs someone to look up to, and also to help normalize it. Sonny talked about wanting to be a role model in one of the promo videos in the context of how he presents himself. That’s why I assume at some point it it will end up coming up, if Nyla wants to be that role model.

Otherwise it doesn’t need to. I watched double or nothing and had no clue. I only found out because of here.

Nyla has done some interviews about it and AEW should facilitate that kind of thing, but once it becomes a part of her onscreen character, it becomes way more complicated. Like remember how absolutely phony WWE trying to be body positive with Nia came off? Not that AEW would be that bad, but it's a really hard thing to do in an inherently carny business like wrestling.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Dave's story about working for Fox Sports for a week or two sure is something.

sprdelfin
Mar 4, 2005

Let me tell you about the okey-doke.

Alan BStard posted:

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1150146344973033472?s=19

Part of a back and forth about wrestlers and coaches. Got a bit personal.

I mostly like Lance Storm, but he seems to occasionally take weird things really personally. Like what Dave Meltzer thinks about bus trips or the concept of library books.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

that's 100% the best part of lance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sprdelfin posted:

I mostly like Lance Storm, but he seems to occasionally take weird things really personally. Like what Dave Meltzer thinks about bus trips or the concept of library books.

Lance loves libraries, actually.

I actually wonder how much road time Dave has logged because he did go on a couple van trips with the M-Pro guys before M-Pro existed.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Why do people care if wrestlers make 350k without trans or 250k with trans? Can’t really say it cracks my top ten issues with the industry.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

mkay0 posted:

Why do people care if wrestlers make 350k without trans or 250k with trans? Can’t really say it cracks my top ten issues with the industry.

Ideally they shouldn't be getting the cost of transportation taken out of their check at all. But even if they are, having someone else handle transportation and lodgings is one less thing you have to do.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

mkay0 posted:

I care because it's a symptom of not having collective bargaining, which would solve far more issues than just this one.

But also, loving circus performers probably don't have to worry about this poo poo. The ring crew definitely doesn't. People who do indie movies for scale don't have to worry about this poo poo.

WWE has spent years telling us that WCW overpaid workers and gave them too many benefits an despite most of us agreeing that WWE is short-changing just about everybody they employ as in-ring performers, that lie has permeated more than we'd all like to admit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh hell yes!

:getin:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

But this was the best undercard of the weekend apparently!

G1 Bias seeping in it seems

Edit: Bryan getting backtalk from his iphone already means this off to a great start

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 15, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Catching up on the previous WON and popped for the most Bryan/Dave exchange:

B: Okay let’s do the G1 and, so we don’t run out of time, maybe let’s focus on the block matches?
D: Okay. So, did Lance train Karl Frederickson?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

But this was the best undercard of the weekend apparently!

Bryan knows his gimmick (ranting).

Post Wrestling liked Extreme Rules:
https://twitter.com/wai0937/status/1150727710328725504

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Black Saturday, baybee.

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1150618209466421248

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

LividLiquid posted:

Dave, like most people of his generation, thinks of bigotry as a disease you have that exists independently of your actions rather than a way of describing things you do.

If you live with somebody and they never do the dishes, they don't get to dodge that poo poo by saying "but in my heart, I know I'm a dishes-doer."

I don't give a poo poo what's in your heart. The dishes aren't done.

I really appreciate your posts sometimes. They make me think about my own actions.

That’s all I wanted to say. Carry on.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

LividLiquid posted:

I care because it's a symptom of not having collective bargaining, which would solve far more issues than just this one.

But also, loving circus performers probably don't have to worry about this poo poo. The ring crew definitely doesn't. People who do indie movies for scale don't have to worry about this poo poo.

WWE has spent years telling us that WCW overpaid workers and gave them too many benefits an despite most of us agreeing that WWE is short-changing just about everybody they employ as in-ring performers, that lie has permeated more than we'd all like to admit.

I fully agree with you but Ringling Bros. also treated their employees like poo poo and they had to live on a train in tiny rooms.

But yeah, there's a reason the only gripe mentioned that people left WCW over was feeling creatively stifled because they definitely covered pay and transportation in a way that WWE never will.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Died laughing at Dave's "this is not a way to start a marriage!" line during the 24/7 segment recap.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are they covering this week's raw/nitro or are they skipping those?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Is there a reason they would skip? The retro show comes out tuesday nights

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I thought I overheard something like that on the F4D show with Lance, they were talking about some Lance angle they wouldn't be seeing but they may well have been referring to Thunder.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

New Blood Rising, i think

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

yea ok posted:

New Blood Rising, i think

Is that the one with Jacques Rougeau as ref for the Canadian rules match because that’s one of maybe two things on that show that I actually enjoyed when I watched it for the p.cast a few years ago.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I hope the recap of the Cat challenging Scott Steiner from last week makes the 'Best of' because I don't think I've laughed that hard at a B&V segment since Bigelow was counted out of nowhere.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

PaybackJack posted:

I hope the recap of the Cat challenging Scott Steiner from last week makes the 'Best of' because I don't think I've laughed that hard at a B&V segment since Bigelow was counted out of nowhere.

I can't hardly remember a drat thing from the last year of WCW, but I remember that segment clear as a bell. It was awesome. The rare moments that Bryan enjoys something from a WCW recap are great.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I fully agree with you but Ringling Bros. also treated their employees like poo poo and they had to live on a train in tiny rooms.
I should have ended my list with the circus performers because my point was that, yes, circus performers are treated like poo poo, but even they don't need to pay for their own travel.

It was clunky and if I had to do it over again I'd pick a different example.

fart blood posted:

I really appreciate your posts sometimes. They make me think about my own actions.

That’s all I wanted to say. Carry on.
This is the nicest thing a stranger has ever said to me on the internet. :3:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MassRafTer posted:

Second to last episode on the Hogan bio! If you've ever wanted to hear Hulk's thoughts on his big WCW run well, he ignores most of it to make up stories about celebrities!

https://twitter.com/mongo_ebooks/status/1150089225800429569

That Jesse Ventura sure is a bitter man.

Nothing as outrageous as the last,but thanks for a great podcast Hulkamatt!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Are they covering this week's raw/nitro or are they skipping those?

New B&V is out and they cover it. Bryan missed Raw because of his dentist visit so Vinny and Craig cover that (with a confused, distracted Bryan chiming in every so often) and then Bryan is fully back into it once they get to Nitro.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Glad that Bryan could catch the A-show at least.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Getting real loving sick of horny Craig

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wazzu posted:

That Jesse Ventura sure is a bitter man.

Nothing as outrageous as the last,but thanks for a great podcast Hulkamatt!

Thanks, although I think him devoting a chapter to Hulkster in Heaven is pretty close to anything in the first half of the book.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

Kimberly's outfit

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

LeT mE wRiTe ThAt DoWn

*fake snort laughter*

Seriously though he adds literally nothing to the show, it's objectively better in every way when he's not there.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
While I don't hate Craig I do agree he doesn't add anything and Lance is a much better 3rd (or 2nd) man for these recaps, and not just because he was right there for some of this insanity.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not subbed up to WON so all these comments about their podcast personalities are entertainingly cryptic.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

coconono posted:

I'm not subbed up to WON so all these comments about their podcast personalities are entertainingly cryptic.

fat man = horny boy

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Craig: I'm a good Christian boy who doesn't swear
Also Craig: *gets cartoon wolf eyes every time he sees a woman on screen*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

MassRafTer posted:

Thanks, although I think him devoting a chapter to Hulkster in Heaven is pretty close to anything in the first half of the book.

Look that's pretty good, but my highlight on listening has to be his thoughts on potential casting by Stephen Spielberg.

Also the idea of Hulk been trained to shoot for a full year before getting a new trainer who informed him pro wrestling is fake and he should work.

jesus WEP posted:

I thought he was explicitly there just because Bryan and Vinny need a break from just doing the podcast with each other? But there are better potential co-hosts out there.