Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Electoral Surgery posted:

wait what gear thread

I assume this one ... but I don't see a recent post.

Backpacking and camping gear thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

xzzy posted:

Two nights of cycling between pissing rain and warm sun (and frost on the tent in the morning), Assiniboine agreed to show itself on the second sunset.

Place owns, definitely would hike again. I always forget how rad strangers are to talk to when you're in hard to get to spots.

edit - added bonus, in our hotel waiting for flight tomorrow, tent draped all over the bathroom trying to dry it out. :ssh:

Great pic!

Have to admit, living here I have rarely seen it so well.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I hope you guys don't mind if I just link some photos I took from my first hike this year.

The place is all the way in the back of the Simmental in the Bernese part of the Alps.

Helios Grime posted:

Went hiking and had a nice time. Hope I didn't fatigue my legs too much for squat day tomorrow.

I am now inhaling all the leftover food at home.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is this the correct thread for asking camping questions? My wife really wants to go camping this weekend after not having done so in years, and has tasked me with figuring out how to make that work. Except I haven't gone camping since I was a kid and have no idea where to begin with planning. We're planning to drive out with our dog to a state park a couple hours away in Eastern PA, hike around a bunch, sleep in a tent, hike around a bunch the next day and drive home. The campgrounds we looked at all have standing toilets/showers so we're not exactly going off the grid, but I'm sure there's still a fair amount of prep and campground/hiking etiquette I'm not aware. Is there a good beginner's guide out there for first-time campers, or things you all wish you knew when you first started doing this?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

C-Euro posted:

Is this the correct thread for asking camping questions? My wife really wants to go camping this weekend after not having done so in years, and has tasked me with figuring out how to make that work. Except I haven't gone camping since I was a kid and have no idea where to begin with planning. We're planning to drive out with our dog to a state park a couple hours away in Eastern PA, hike around a bunch, sleep in a tent, hike around a bunch the next day and drive home. The campgrounds we looked at all have standing toilets/showers so we're not exactly going off the grid, but I'm sure there's still a fair amount of prep and campground/hiking etiquette I'm not aware. Is there a good beginner's guide out there for first-time campers, or things you all wish you knew when you first started doing this?

I know I referenced REI in the other thread. I swear I'm not a paid shill:

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/camping-for-beginners.html

Especially for car camping in an established campground, it's hard to mess it up too bad. As long as you've got shelter, something to sleep in/on, food, and a basic first aid kit, you'll be fine. You'll probably simultaneously pack way too much and somehow also forget something. Don't sweat it and make note of what you use or didn't use for next time.

Enjoy!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m basically an unpaid shill with regards to REI. I have a positive experience every time. The people there love this poo poo.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I'm sure that folks in this thread would be happy to answer questions, but I would echo the other recommendations to get into an REI where you can have a detailed, personalized chat with one of their generally excellent reps. The REI brand equipment is broadly excellent, and their return policy is really useful for making sure that you get the gear that is right for you. They also will have maps and area-specific advice, not to mention the online FAQs, which are all really useful for beginners.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Kaal posted:

I'm sure that folks in this thread would be happy to answer questions, but I would echo the other recommendations to get into an REI where you can have a detailed, personalized chat with one of their generally excellent reps. The REI brand equipment is broadly excellent, and their return policy is really useful for making sure that you get the gear that is right for you. They also will have maps and area-specific advice, not to mention the online FAQs, which are all really useful for beginners.

I got a REI Kingdom 6 tent w/mud room this Spring for car camping, and it is the best tent I have ever owned. We only use it for 2 people (my wife and me), but we got 2 large cots that fit perfect in it. While I hated seeing some of the local outfitters go out of business since Knoxville got a REI in 2014, I am glad we finally got one.

C-Euro posted:

The most important thing (along with staying dry) is getting a comfortable night sleep. If you sleep like poo poo, there is a good chance you might not go back camping for awhile. I would avoid an air mattress if possible, because they always seem to lose some air during the night. I would use a self-inflating sleeping pad that gets you a few inches off the ground (we used these for 2 weeks out West). Like I said above we got a sleeping cot this year, and it has completely changed car camping for me. I no longer dread the sleeping experience of camping. The only negative of a cot is they take up a lot of room (why we got a 6 person tent for just 2 of us). The only other issue (which you can't control) is when it gets too hot. The worst is when it is a hot summer night and it starts to rain, so you have to close your tent off.

That said I live in the South (Knoxville area) where it awful to camp in the summer unless you increase your elevation (going into the GSMNP or closer to the AT) and I am also 46, so I have last patience for a bad night sleep.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 16, 2019

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I made a huge reply to your post in the gear thread, then someone posted the REI camping basics ... where they literally cover everything in depth. I love REI because they have almost everything, but it can be overwhelming for a lot of casual car campers who aren't looking to drop $1,000 on top of the line gear. REI doesn't carry low level gear like coleman so their lowest tier stuff is usually as or more expensive than most high end stuff at department stores. The thing is their return policy for members is insane (1 year no matter the usage) and they rent gear so you can try things out before you buy. Their garage sales are also incredible. My local REI has a garage sale section and I've recently seen some ridiculous deals on tents etc. It doesn't help that my office is a 5 minute walk from the Seattle flagship store.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is REI the American equivalent of MEC (or more likely the other way around)?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Yes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On my recent Canada visit I had a local tell me that MEC started out by stocking REI equipment.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PittTheElder posted:

xzzy posted:

On my recent Canada visit I had a local tell me that MEC started out by stocking REI equipment.

According to Wikipedia, MEC was founded by a bunch of Canadian University of BC climbers who wanted an REI closer than Seattle and decided to found a co-op in Vancouver that would stock all their gear.

The European/German equivalent might be Jack Wolfskin, and they actually sell a bunch of their stuff on Amazon. My brother loves crawling their sales and picking up some pretty sweet gear for cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/JackWolfskin/JackWolfskin/page/008C7DFE-FC61-4C2C-98E2-FF351BF128D5

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kaal posted:

According to Wikipedia, MEC was founded by a bunch of Canadian University of BC climbers who wanted an REI closer than Seattle and decided to found a co-op in Vancouver that would stock all their gear.

I have a reusable shopping bag from a recent MEC anniversary that tells that story in cartoon form on the side.

My favourite detail is their using their camping gear for an evening before returning to Canada to make it looked worn and avoid paying duty

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Eastern PA is tick country. I'd suggest buying some permethrin and pre-treating a set of hiking clothes, and be diligent about checking your dog too.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
This is a good point, and remember, deer ticks are stupidly small.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
From what I hear is that ticks are worse than normal this year out east.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

there is apparently some sort of hyper-aggressive invasive species that can, no poo poo, clone itself to reproduce asexually

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/longhorned-tick/index.html

we're hosed lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What about those ones in the south that are killing cows by draining them of all their blood? :v:

edit - nm, it's the same tick as the clone army ticks

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the advice y'all, I'm kind of winging it doing prep and my wife is traveling so I'm planning it by myself for now.

nate fisher posted:

The most important thing (along with staying dry) is getting a comfortable night sleep. If you sleep like poo poo, there is a good chance you might not go back camping for awhile. I would avoid an air mattress if possible, because they always seem to lose some air during the night. I would use a self-inflating sleeping pad that gets you a few inches off the ground (we used these for 2 weeks out West). Like I said above we got a sleeping cot this year, and it has completely changed car camping for me. I no longer dread the sleeping experience of camping. The only negative of a cot is they take up a lot of room (why we got a 6 person tent for just 2 of us). The only other issue (which you can't control) is when it gets too hot. The worst is when it is a hot summer night and it starts to rain, so you have to close your tent off.

They're calling for a high of 99 F in eastern PA on Saturday, not sure that my wife realizes how hot that is. "We can just hike in the shade!"

Siamang posted:

Eastern PA is tick country. I'd suggest buying some permethrin and pre-treating a set of hiking clothes, and be diligent about checking your dog too.

Oh boy, I have no idea what premethrin is and probably won't have time to get some before Saturday. At least I just gave my dog his flea and tick medicine for the next month. Starting to think that rush-planning our first camping trip in 100-degree weather is going to end really badly...

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Eastern PA goon here. Can confirm that ticks are nasty this year. The game commission is even playing stupid little "don't let a tick make you sick" jingles on the radio.

Heat index for the next few days is between 100 and 110. Been pretty humid.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Going camping when it is that hot is going to be loving miserable. Good luck. I'm not sure what's worse, that or raining the entire time, but they both loving suck.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Permethrin is an insecticide, not a repellant, so pairing it with something like DEET gives you two 'layers' of protection. It comes as a liquid you put on clothes then let them dry. Most outdoor/hunting stores probably carry it (confess I bought mine online). It's hella toxic to cats while wet but safe once it dries and lasts a few months and/or multiple washings. If you've ever bought a clothing item that claimed repellant properties it was probably permethrin.

Hope you can stay cool out there

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Internet Explorer posted:

Going camping when it is that hot is going to be loving miserable. Good luck. I'm not sure what's worse, that or raining the entire time, but they both loving suck.

Yep. I would suggest him talking his wife into just hiking that day (hike early), getting a beer and pizza after afterwards, and sleeping that night in their own bed with AC. They should save the camping trip for fall when you get those perfect 50 degree nights. Once in my life I made the mistake of camping in the hot summer, and I have never made that mistake again. Trust me I wish I was camping this weekend myself (I will start camping again sometime in September, but at higher elevation campgrounds).

Kaal
May 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

Thanks for the advice y'all, I'm kind of winging it doing prep and my wife is traveling so I'm planning it by myself for now.

They're calling for a high of 99 F in eastern PA on Saturday, not sure that my wife realizes how hot that is. "We can just hike in the shade!"

Oh boy, I have no idea what premethrin is and probably won't have time to get some before Saturday. At least I just gave my dog his flea and tick medicine for the next month. Starting to think that rush-planning our first camping trip in 100-degree weather is going to end really badly...

I generally am very lax when it comes to preparation for this sort of thing, with the sentiment that it'll be an adventure and you'll learn more for next time. It sounds like you didn't have time to go to an REI, and are just figuring it out for yourself, and more power to you. But I would say that you will need some planning in place for both the ticks and the heat, since both of those can be showstopping problems.

You'll want plentiful shade and water, sun block, and preferably a place to swim. Hiking in 100F is a bad idea, particularly if you're new at it. Also as a corollary, make sure that your vehicle is maintained and capable of any road that you are taking. It's rarely an issue out here in the East, but driving an old car out on rough roads when it's hot is how people get stranded and die before rescue. And you'll want to employ tick prevention, certainly including tick repellent and buddy checks, particularly given this heat.

Finally, make sure to give yourself some sort of out for if the conditions prove to be too adverse to be having fun. A day of hiking and picnicking followed by a comfortable night in a motel with AC and a shower might be exactly what you two need.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 18, 2019

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I'm going to Iceland next month, renting a camper van and planning to do a lot of hiking, though not necessarily backpacking since van. Does anyone have experience hiking Iceland and any reccomendations? Or hikes that are totally worth bringing the backpacking gear for?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Þórsmörk is the most popular hiking destination. You won't be getting your van in there (there's river fording through a braided river plain), but there's lots of day hike and overnight options in there. Landmannalauger is another one, there's a 32 mile trail that goes over the mountains into Þórsmörk. The road into there is drivable but rough (make sure your rental agreement allows F road usage) and there's a river ford at the very end, but there's a parking lot at the ford. Hornstrandir is a bucket list type spot.. no motorized anything, you pay a boat to drop you off and you hike around for a few days then return on the same boat.

But there are hiking opportunities all over the country suitable for every skill level so I'd browse alltrails for the areas you're gonna be in. Like if you park at Skógafoss you can putter around at the base of the falls, hike up to the top of the falls, hike into the highlands, or hike the full 50 mile trail to Landmannalauger.

As for gear, pack like you're going into the mountains because the weather is about the same. Grey skies, intermittent showers, and then suddenly a lot of sun. Then the cycle repeats.

My main recommendation is to get as far from Reykjavik as you can, tourists are everywhere but the density drops fast once you get out of the main spot. The whole south coast is stunning scenery and is probably the best choice to focus on if you're limited on time but literally everywhere in the country looks amazing.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
This is a really helpful post thank you! I know we're going to spend at least one day in the city for pride, but otherwise I do want to get away. We don't have any firm plans yet, and still haven't decided if it's worth bringing all the backpacking gear (tent bags pads) vs just great day hikes. We're there for 8 days, so have sometime. I'd want to focus on one or two parts of the country more in depth vs just doing a tour all over.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you can sleep in the van, I'd skip the tent. I'd consider a tent a last resort given how ugly the weather can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhdQ0KqokPc&t=136s

Those tents are set up at Landmannalauger. :v:

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Good to know, that'll also help us narrow down where we want to go /do to camper van accessible and good day hikes. Are the glaciers in August still worth checking out vs all the other things to do?

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Spikes32 posted:

I'm going to Iceland next month, renting a camper van and planning to do a lot of hiking, though not necessarily backpacking since van. Does anyone have experience hiking Iceland and any reccomendations? Or hikes that are totally worth bringing the backpacking gear for?

The Fimmvörðuháls hike from Skógafoss to Thórsmörk is a must do. There is a bus that can transfer you from the end of the hike back to Skogafoss or wherever, which you will need since the river fordings involved are usually too deep for any normal high clearance vehicle. This can be done in a day pretty easily.

Landmannalaugar is great and so is Kerlingarfjöll . Both of these require (relatively easy) f-roads to get to.

There are lots of cool hikes in the area east / northeast of Egilsstaðir. Stórurð and the surrounding peaks are a good day hike. The coast around that area has good spots for seeing puffins, too.

If you can manage, taking a ferry from Ísafjörður to Hornstrandir and arranging for a return ferry (usually not at the same spot they drop you off) is well worth it. This will probably be at least an overnight trip, though. Hornstrandir is really a really beautiful area with great hiking and is an excellent place to spot arctic foxes (including cubs around this time year).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, the snow will probably be dirty and rotten but it's still ice and it's still really neat. Don't be afraid to book a guided day tour, some of them get you to spots otherwise inaccessible.. like there's a glacier day hike that they'll gear you up for and take you in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Talked my wife out of camping and we'll just go hiking around a couple of state parks north of here this weekend. Thanks for the advice everyone, now to buy Cliff bars and bug spray...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Honestly you made the right decision. If its going to be that hot, camping will be miserable and you might be avoiding a disaster. You can ruin camping for people if the first few experiences are miserable so its smart to wait until the heat subsides.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Verman posted:

You can ruin camping for people if the first few experiences are miserable so its smart to wait until the heat subsides.

Exactly this. Most people who don't like camping had a lovely experience (too hot, too rainy, leaky tent, leaky air mattress, etc.) the first time and it's scared them off for good.

Glitchdj
Mar 20, 2007
I like milk

Mopp posted:

I'm looking for shoe recommendations, currently using a pair of high boots weighing in at 1.2 kg each but am willing to try the trail-runner route. The boots are awesome, but I want to cut weight. I usually do multi-day hikes with around 15 kg of gear so nothing UL.

As for shoes, these are my criteria:
1. Light, around 500 g each maximum.
2. Large and wide toebox. I have large wide feet and anything narrow won't fit.
3. No Gore-Tex. I prefer letting the shoes/boots dry out themselves by just changing socks.

Anyone having any recommendations?

I've tried the following:
  • Altra Lone Peak 4: it fits well but feels too soft. Can't imagine it will handle rocky terrain with a heavy pack.
  • La Sportiva Spire GTX: mostly good, feels a bit too narrow, might be able to break it in but I don't know about how the GTX membrane will stretch (also I'd prefer something not having GTX).
  • Salomon PRO 3D WIDE: just a bad shape.

Try the La Sportiva Bushido II and size up.
While the sole is not super durable, it grips like crazy en the whole shoe will dry fast.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use inov8 x-claw 275, EU size 48. 345 grams for each shoe. They are their widest fit, 5. They sell several widths of shoes from 1(narrow) to 5(wide) toebox. The heel is about the same but toebox is noticeably wider in the wider models.

https://www.amazon.com/Inov-8-Mens-X-Claw-Trail-Running/dp/B01MTY44VV

I don't think those are available anymore but you can try to look something similar.

I used earlier inov8's mesh shoes but it was annoying when the shoe filled with water from every misstep to a puddle. Those x-claws don't have that mesh, they don't breathe as well but my feet stay drier.

To prevent debris getting into the shoe I wear dirty girl gaiters over the shoes.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Did an 11km hike up to the top of Grizzly Ridge in Kananaskis Country. Tons of wildlife seen, including a sow griz with two 1-2 year old cubs, and a really curious pika that followed us for a bit. Did a little geology at the top too. Was very happy that my poor conditioning was not really a factor.

Here, have a view from a col that shows a gorgeous thrust fault (notice the big fold in the grey rocks near where they meet the brown ones. Those are much older rocks being shoved on top of younger ones.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
That's really cool. It's stuff like that which makes me wish I knew more about geology or have a friend along with that does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I went out yesterday, about 11 miles into what was going to be 26 miles total I see a thunderstorm at the top of a pass I was approaching. I wanted to wait it out but the rain and hail didn't look like it would stop. In the basin I heard the thunder get louder and closer. When I got back to the trees the lightning is probably striking 500 feet away and the the rain and hail start coming down for real. I hunkered down under some trees and watched as the water flowing down the trail turned from a trickle to a stream. I kinda figured this was bad news and sure enough after the 30 minute downpour the stream crossings had gone from ankle deep flows to speedy knee/thigh deep death traps. I braced myself on a log and stepped through on one, the feeling of water flowing past my legs with force was intense. The next one was faster and deeper, only way across was over a log I found. The main fork was ridiculous and being unable to cross I ended up doing 4 miles of off trail hiking. Throw in the combination of unrelenting mosquitoes and it may have been my least favorite hiking experience