Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Reuniting in a tavern (a good start for RPGs) is different from meeting in a tavern (a crap start for RPGs).

Though a game where PCs meet in a tavern for the first time because they they all swiped right in the new dating imp "Delvr" would be pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Warthur posted:

The problem is that, at least in the original trilogy, you didn't really know what these people were like before they went off on their journeys, which makes the moment fall flat.

No, it actually works perfectly, because it makes you imagine both the adventures they might have had in the interim and what they were like before those adventures, and you also get hints at their previous relationships and how they differ from what they used to be. If they'd just been friends the whole time or had just met, you wouldn't get nearly as much information about the characters in that short scene.

E: Why are we talking about Dragonlance so much in this thread.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

Fair and true, but as your example of the Canterbury Tales alludes to, people meeting up in bars is about as old of a concept as places that serve booze. It's a tired and over-used trope, but it's also common not just because of how easy it makes the narrative.

I don't disagree; I'm only pointing out that DL using it isn't exactly original.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Cessna posted:

If I'm not mistaken they all meet in a tavern.

How original.

I mean, tropes are generated somewhere. And just lol if you can't hear the dice rolling in that trilogy.

Best moment is when Raistlin casts fireball for the first time and they treat it like he is one of the most dangerous wizards alive.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Diana Jones shortlist just got released. The only thing I've heard of on this is Star Crossed and maybe the art book in passing. The DJA tends to be pretty good about the nominations but then drops the ball with its winners, so I fully expect the D&D art book to win over the accessible and fun game that's good at bringing in new people to the hobby.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I mean, tropes are generated somewhere. And just lol if you can't hear the dice rolling in that trilogy.

Best moment is when Raistlin casts fireball for the first time and they treat it like he is one of the most dangerous wizards alive.

I mean, this is Dragonlance, where canonically the gods will kick you off the plane if you get too high level.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It looks like there's enough interest that someone should make a Dragonlance thread for me to ignore.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

No, it actually works perfectly, because it makes you imagine both the adventures they might have had in the interim and what they were like before those adventures, and you also get hints at their previous relationships and how they differ from what they used to be. If they'd just been friends the whole time or had just met, you wouldn't get nearly as much information about the characters in that short scene.
I concede that in the hands of different authors this technique might work aptly. For my money, Weis and Hickman's treatment of it was just confusing. (The movie handled it a bit better.)

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Warthur posted:

For my money, Weis and Hickman's treatment of it was just confusing.
Decent capsule description of their catalogue in general.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Lurdiak posted:

Because Fewmaster Toede poo poo his pants at the Inn of the Last Home on the last day of Sol Con '17.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

moths posted:

It looks like there's enough interest that someone should make a Dragonlance thread for me to ignore.

Agreed, except replace "ignore" with "follow" for me. Either way a Dragonlance thread/readthrough/PBP/Telethon/Slashfic symposium or whatever seems like a thing that could and maybe should happen.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am rereading the Lord of the Rings trilogy right now, and it is still very good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am rereading the Lord of the Rings trilogy right now, and it is still very good.

Tolkien was a good worldbuilder and an astonishingly bad storyteller. I find the novels almost unreadable because of how bad he is at description and flow.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Arivia posted:

Tolkien was a good worldbuilder and an astonishingly bad storyteller. I find the novels almost unreadable because of how bad he is at description and flow.

Thank you for your input.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I mean, tropes are generated somewhere.

True.

Hell, the US Marine Corps started with "you meet in a tavern."

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

I recommend listening to the books, starting with The Hobbit. There is an absolutely amazing flow to Tolkien's writing.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Darwinism posted:

I recommend listening to the books, starting with The Hobbit. There is an absolutely amazing flow to Tolkien's writing.
Or reading them aloud, even if only to a cat. Declaiming is optional but may help with bits of the Silmarillion or HoME. The interesting bits of HoME. Well, the versions of bits of the Sil that Blind Guardian adapted.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

With LotR, Getting through the first book was incredibly difficult for me - about two weeks chipping away at it a few pages at a time before getting bored. Then the Balrog shows up, and I finished the rest of the trilogy in a matter of days.

I think there's an approach that takes a while to get into for Tolkien's writing to "click." Or maybe it's just me.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Lurdiak posted:

Cuz we're all secretly fans but don't want to admit it. ;)

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Dragonlance? The only dragon lance I'm a fan of is

Actually, none.

Edit I'm reading a Tolkien poem right now and it's good and flows well and tells a cool story although the name Bregolas just showed up and that's hilarious to me. "Yeah, I'm uh Bregolas, son of Brego... Bregor, son of... Boromir. Yeah."

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 16, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ugh, fine.

When I get home tonight, I'm gonna fire up the shitpost forge, lower my hauberk, and start the Let's Read Dragonlance thread and you can all spend the next 3 years making me regret it.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Ugh, fine.

When I get home tonight, I'm gonna fire up the shitpost forge, lower my hauberk, and start the Let's Read Dragonlance thread and you can all spend the next 3 years making me regret it.

:f5:
I hope you go by publication date because that's really the best way to show off the insane tone shifts and changes in setting direction as things went on

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

just caught up to the last few pages of this thread

in ~1992 I started dialing in to local BBSes including one multiline BBS where I started hanging out for an hour or two daily up until the place went under in ~1995 or so. I am only just now finding out, 25 years later, that half those people's handles came from dragonlance, a thing I never engaged with or read at all; raistlin, hasslehoff, lord soth, etc. It's a bit surreal.

Given how much fantasy I read in the 1980s and 90s it's really weird I somehow managed to whiff on ever picking up a dragonlance book.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Toshimo posted:

Ugh, fine.

OK yeah I'll read that.

I did not read much Dragonlance at all, mind you, but I'll read that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Leperflesh posted:

half those people's handles came from dragonlance, a thing I never engaged with or read at all; raistlin, hasslehoff, lord soth, etc. It's a bit surreal.

I think you'll find that one is more Knight Rider, and less an actual knight, riding.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Toshimo posted:

Ugh, fine.

I debated throwing myself on that grenade, but better you than me. I'm still like two months behind in my F&F.

Will read the gently caress out of that thread. It's awful enough in my memories from 20 years ago. I can't imagine what it's like to read it as an adult.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Loomer posted:

Hell, most of my grand adventures have started meeting in bars of various stripes.
Hell, same; and also in the tabletop games I’ve run/played.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Toshimo posted:

I think you'll find that one is more Knight Rider, and less an actual knight, riding.

This would make me way more interested in Dragonlance, though.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Lurdiak posted:

We were all thirteen once.

That said:

Wikipedia posted:

Over 190 novels have used the Dragonlance setting

Holy crap.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Toshimo posted:

lol, tasslehoff, hasslehoff, same difference eh

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darwinism posted:

No thanks. If I’m going to the trouble to read literature out loud I’ll reread the Canterbury Tales or something. Tolkien is so boring.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Like most I struggle through Tolkien's long descriptions of travelling but The Hobbit is extremely readable. Fellowship is rough until the end, Two Towers and RotK are great during the non-Frodo stuff and the Frodo stuff is still 50/50.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Toshimo posted:

Rename the crotchety car AI from KITT to FLINT

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Darwinism posted:

Tolkien was trying to write them like the Eddas. They need to be read aloud.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i don't care if you're pro- or anti-Tolkien but please stop using "flow" in reference to written fiction as if it means anything

"flow" is to literature what "synergy" is to business organizations

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i don't care if you're pro- or anti-Tolkien but please stop using "flow" in reference to written fiction as if it means anything

"flow" is to literature what "synergy" is to business organizations

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Last time I read LotR (and it was aloud), I was in the part where Legolas et al are chasing the orcs who have Merry and Pippin, and I was just flabbergasted. "How?" I asked (also aloud), "How are we still in this section? When does it end? They are just traveling. And they have been for literally thirty pages. Thirty pages!!"

I don't know what flow means, but I know flabby. That was flabby writing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't care what you say, Tuxedo Catfish, I still say that Lord of the Rings has excellent synergy. :colbert:

EDIT: synerflow

flownergy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Going off on Tolkien for having bad flow is just low-hanging fruit - you need to read it aloud to unlock its blue-sky potential. I'll ping you again to circle back about this opportunity at a later date.

Best Regards,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Tolkien's flow is clearly outmatched by Biggie, Doom, Andre, Eminem, and tons of others; he's not even in the conversation about who the best MC of all time is.