Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

um excuse me posted:

I have the 932/6 set that's on sale. They're literally called chisel drivers. I've literally used them as such before to great effect and no damage to the tools. They warranty claim ones that do. I've heard amazing things about the 334/6 laser etched drivers as well.

Holy moly what makes an 11 piece ratcheting combination wrench set $220 on sale?

Didn't think I'd buy anything for Prime Day, but I decided I was sick of my assortment of lovely screwdrivers:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001NQQCM - laser etched flathead and phillips set

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001NQQCC - screwdrivers you can hit with a hammer

Both sets come to a little under $30 each, and include PH1 and PH2 phillips, and an assortment of flatheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rule #1:

Never apologize for buying more screwdrivers.

Rule #2:

Especially if they are good.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

5-piece Milwaukee M18 kit for $269:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-2694-25CX-M18-Li-Ion-5-Tool-Combo-Kit-New/392304555811

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

cakesmith handyman posted:

In a bind I've filed grooves into a nut to turn it into a disposable do-or-die er, die.

I've done the same to get steel air and plumbing fittings into brass castings that I've drilled out.

Works once!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I bet steel into brass works quite well actually, neat.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

boxen posted:

Didn't think I'd buy anything for Prime Day, but I decided I was sick of my assortment of lovely screwdrivers:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001NQQCM - laser etched flathead and phillips set

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001NQQCC - screwdrivers you can hit with a hammer

Both sets come to a little under $30 each, and include PH1 and PH2 phillips, and an assortment of flatheads.

Wera screwdrivers are awesome, and one of those things you don't think you need until you get them. I got my brother a set a while back and he was like I already have screwdrivers but these look nice, then I saw him later after he used them for some kind of work around the house / on his bike, and all of a sudden they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Also, I just realized that it's a set of 6 with an empty hole in the rack, and for a long time now (1.5+ years?) I'd assumed I just lost one right away. I couldn't figure out how I'd lost one since I'm careful with them, but now it all makes sense.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
You guys are not doing me any favors, while I'm sitting here trying to convince myself that I don't need to replace all my Craftsman and other assorted screwdrivers with these Weras :mad:

However, it is quite telling that my favorite screwdriver (because of course I have a favorite screwdriver), an ancient brown Matco #2 passed down from my father, has a very similar handle shape to the Weras.

Edit: hell with it, just bought both sets linked above. Good tools are never a poor investment.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 16, 2019

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Any reason not to get these if I want to buy 18V tools? Because I need them, obviously. I mostly work on motorcycles and my giant lovely van for hauling motorcycles so I’m assuming the difference between these and the fuel versions isn’t worth it for me?

Also, wera stuff is the best. I’ve never regretted buying any of it.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
After passing on the wera's for years I bought the first set. Skipped the hammerable ones since most poo poo underneath my 51 has a hex head. Thanks for posting!

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I went and bought $550 $450 of Wera thanks to Prime Day. Time to replace some busted-rear end wrenches and actually have proper hex keys. I'm trying out their Zyklon B ratchet, too.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 16, 2019

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I might have spent 200$ on Wera poo poo yesterday....
:sigh:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Weras stuff you only have to buy once. Enjoy owning them 40 years from now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

builds character posted:

Any reason not to get these if I want to buy 18V tools? Because I need them, obviously. I mostly work on motorcycles and my giant lovely van for hauling motorcycles so I’m assuming the difference between these and the fuel versions isn’t worth it for me?

Also, wera stuff is the best. I’ve never regretted buying any of it.

seems like an ok deal...do you need a drill to work on your vehicles? personally i would prioritize an m12 ratchet (fuel or not), a "stubby" m12 in 3/8 or 1/2, and an m18 impact mid or high torque over any of those tools in that kit. get at least one big battery for m12 or m18.

hackzalls seem cool but i feel like if you want that kind of tool the m12 fuel version makes more sense, since the tool is quite a bit smaller and fits in small areas better. if you have room to cut something with a m18 hackzall you might already be able to put a corded sawzall on it.

acme has some tool deals today on milwaukee

mid torque m18 for 279+fs:
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/milwaukee-2860-22

Free Milwaukee starter kit (bag and two big batteries) with 2 selct M18 FUEL bare tools:
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/milwaukee-free-battery-promotions-2

combo kits:
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/milwaukee-free-tool-promotions-2

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I wish just one of the M12 kits came with the M12/18 charger instead of the M12 exclusive one

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

BraveUlysses posted:

seems like an ok deal...do you need a drill to work on your vehicles? personally i would prioritize an m12 ratchet (fuel or not), a "stubby" m12 in 3/8 or 1/2, and an m18 impact mid or high torque over any of those tools in that kit. get at least one big battery for m12 or m18.

hackzalls seem cool but i feel like if you want that kind of tool the m12 fuel version makes more sense, since the tool is quite a bit smaller and fits in small areas better. if you have room to cut something with a m18 hackzall you might already be able to put a corded sawzall on it.

acme has some tool deals today on milwaukee

mid torque m18 for 279+fs:
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/milwaukee-2860-22

Free Milwaukee starter kit (bag and two big batteries) with 2 selct M18 FUEL bare tools:
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/milwaukee-free-battery-promotions-2

combo kits:
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/milwaukee-free-tool-promotions-2

Right now I have a few makita 12v tools that I really like - drill, impact, multi tool. I just want 18v tools because I like tools and because I need a grinder and I wouldn't mind an impact wrench that actually worked on car stuff (vs. bike stuff). But I don't really need anything (other than the grinder which is really also just a want) as there's very little I can't do myself with, for example, a breaker bar. I was looking at Milwaukee because they have more tools to look at than Makita does and I like looking at tools.

Corded stuff isn't an option for me because I live in NYC so it's all super shady sitting in the street working on things while passers-by gawk and think to themselves "it really is shocking that they're letting people destroy perfectly good automobiles like that nowadays."

I suppose i was looking at it as a nice intro set I could build off of (comes with batteries, that + grinder seems like a nice start for M18) but the points about the batteries and the impact mid/high are very good ones, thank you. Seems like the thing I actually need + mid/high impact torque under that acme deal would be perfect. Thanks!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Stop crossing the picket line and buy your tools from some other billionaire.

https://twitter.com/NYCDSATechWG/status/1150750262434422784?s=09

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Wasabi the J posted:

Stop crossing the picket line and buy your tools from some other billionaire.

https://twitter.com/NYCDSATechWG/status/1150750262434422784?s=09

nothx

EDIT: No tech for ICE lol

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 16, 2019

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Maybe once IBT puts some real effort into organizing them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Prong Song posted:

. I'm trying out their Zyklon B ratchet, too.

It better be gas powered.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I mean, most of those actual tools are made by some other lovely billionaire anyways. And so are the materials you would use if you made your own tools.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So do nothing instead of buying from one other retailer for a few weeks while your fellow workers secure their rights against the world's richest man, who owns most of the internet, and doesn't pay billions on taxes.

Because someone ELSE is doing the wrong thing.

My bad. Keep on keeping on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Automotive Insanity is the least left forum on a site that has a gun forum.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You don't have to buy it from amazon, but if you're looking at Wera stuff the tool check plus set is really nice.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

You either support V8s, or you don't :colbert:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Platystemon posted:

The content maybe, but almost all the AI posters I know ~*IRL*~ aren't particularly right wing, and only a few antifa supersoldiers.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Asking for a friend, what would be better armor for an antifa battlewagon--1/4" steel plate or layers of kevlar?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

mod sassinator posted:

Asking for a friend, what would be better armor for an antifa battlewagon--1/4" steel plate or layers of kevlar?

8 layers of kevlar with alternating weave directions immersed in west system epoxy sandwiched in between two .25" plates of steel. Duh.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Make sure the steel is at a 45° angle, it effectively doubles the thickness if it's hit head on

And as far as the chat thread goes, it leans pretty left, but it's not exactly the fifth international

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

The content maybe, but almost all the AI posters I know ~*IRL*~ aren't particularly right wing, and only a few antifa supersoldiers.
I would generally agree with this, but I will also say I was a bit surprised by a couple of the “I just want to watch the world burn/get rid of the Mexicans/but her emaiiiiiiiils” that I know IRL.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Support Chinese billionaires instead, have a "friends and family" coupon to harbor freight.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
hfqpdb.com, friends

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The last time I hit up HF, I tried to use the 20% coupon on hfcpd and the cashier was like "nah that's ok" and scanned the same coupon taped to the register.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Nice! I have the insulated set in the upper right and every time I pick one of them up it makes me happy--they just ooze quality and feel right.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

If you've never used the lasertips before, it's gonna blow your mind. They feel so completely different from every other screwdriver. Nice haul.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dang you went all out. I had my eye on the laser etched. They're super nice.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I really need to figure out how to warranty the Chisel Drivers. I've gone through 2 sets. I really like them, but they do not hold up from what I have found.

Also, I almost bought the 3/8's and 1/2" metric sets... but I just don't need them along side my Snap On stuff.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
So last year my house burned down and with it a bunch of my tools were lost to the mysteries of the insurance claims process. I finally got around to replacing things since I needed to do some work recently, and that included buying like ~$1200 worth of Milwaukee stuff. I had a mid-torque M18 impact wrench before that I always loved, but holy poo poo you guys weren't kidding about how loving nice the FUEL ratchet is. Even the regular M12 ratchet (which just happened to come with one of the kits I bought) is pretty swank. I love the hell out of these things.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You all weren’t lying about those laser-etched things. I bought the yellow set a while ago, thinking they had the fancy tips, but they didn’t.

Still, they were super solid, and the hefty feel made them my favorites. I decided to complete the set this week but was kind of disappointed in how light the green and red sets felt in comparison.

Then I stuck them in some screws and all those negative thoughts went out the l window. Good tools are a joy.