Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

As a former retail worker who ran checkouts sometimes, the odds that a supermarket/Target/Wal-Mart/whatever cashier is paying any attention to the poo poo you buy is approximately zero unless they're a bored retiree.

You could buy a notepad and write a murder confession on it in block lettering and nobody would notice. There's other poo poo to do or the end of the day to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
On the other side of that I've had a cashier ask if I bought scallions or green onions and I start sweating and tripping over my words

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Last night when my wife was checking out, the woman running the register smelled all the produce. She also couldn’t find sweet potatoes or yams on her list of barcodes, she was adamant it wasn’t there. A manager had to be called in, who then showed her a single entry: sweet potato/yam.

She may have been a bit low functioning. It was night shift, after all.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

moist turtleneck posted:

On the other side of that I've had a cashier ask if I bought scallions or green onions and I start sweating and tripping over my words

Something like that is the exception, yeah, if they have to find out what it is to enter it. But anything that scans probably is only looked at long enough to determine where the bar code is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Last night when my wife was checking out, the woman running the register smelled all the produce. She also couldn’t find sweet potatoes or yams on her list of barcodes, she was adamant it wasn’t there. A manager had to be called in, who then showed her a single entry: sweet potato/yam.

To be fair, those are entirely different vegetables, so combining them makes as much sense as an entry for banana/butternut squash

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

moist turtleneck posted:

Those are the same thing, though? Could have just answered yes! :haw:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tunicate posted:

To be fair, those are entirely different vegetables, so combining them makes as much sense as an entry for banana/butternut squash

And in actual practice this is about as useful as complaining about not being able to find a PLU for a muskmelon and it's getting rung up as cantaloupe instead.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tunicate posted:

Yes, but in the majority of the US, the terms are conflated and/or confused to the point of being identical, compounded by the fact that most people here have likely never even actually seen an actual yam. So, the store uses the same barcode, since anybody who says either of those terms actually means, in practice, sweet potato, as that’s all the store sells, regardless of what anyone chooses to call them.

Also she was sniffing all the drat produce. And handing random groceries over the register to my wife, like “here’s your box of crackers.” Wife: “...did you want me to bag these?” “Haha no” *takes them back*...repeat multiple times at odd intervals, in between normal bagging steps. And not noticing when half the items she swiped didn’t scan at all.

It was an all around weird experience, but not she-was-on-drugs weird.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Doesn't "yam" historically basically mean "food" in the same sort of way that "apple" means "fruit"? Etymologically speaking?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you roll the clock back like 400 years, then it’s a definite maybe.

French word for potato is my personal fave: dirt apple. Or, if you go with the apple = fruit approach, dirt fruit.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bad Munki posted:

French word for potato is my personal fave: dirt apple. Or, if you go with the apple = fruit approach, dirt fruit.

My dad, who isn't a frog, would say "earth apple". Pommes de terre.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bad Munki posted:

Earth != dirt. Entirely different things and meanings. No one outside the US refers to soil as dirt.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I was being a bit liberal in my translation, sure, but it was because "dirt fruit" is more fun to say than "apple of the soil"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wooger posted:

Earth != dirt. Entirely different things and meanings. No one outside the US refers to soil as dirt.

When I hear "dirt" I always think of Tremors.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Jaded Burnout posted:

When I hear "dirt" I always think of Tremors.

No one outside the U.S. refers to giant sand worms as "Graboids".

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wesleywillis posted:

No one outside the U.S. refers to giant sand worms as "Graboids".

What's the European stance on rear end Blasters

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

Arse Exploders?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Oh, you mean arse shitters?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is an Earth‐apple.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

This is an Earth‐apple.

lol why would you project the flat earth onto a sphere, it's going to mess everything up

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

wesleywillis posted:

My dad, who isn't a frog, would say "earth apple". Pommes de terre.

Pomme just means 'fruit', and because apples were some of the most common and widespread they were what people usually meant in the generic. The old french word for oranges was 'pomme d'orenge', or basically 'the fruit of the orange [tree]'. I believe that structure was pretty common although it hasn't survived in many other contexts - in Jersey (which is related) there are still variants like 'pomme de tchene' which is 'fruit of the oak', or oak gall.

The etymology of 'Orange' itself is pretty interesting because it was simply the name of the fruit and didn't get repurposed for the color until later on. Prior to the introduction the color we associate with orange might be called 'citrine' or 'saffron', but was often subsumed into another color group - I believe one of the reasons we say robins have red coloring is because that predated the use of orange, so it was considered as a shade of red.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I have a particular appreciation for "pomegranate", "pomme" apple "granat" seeded. Like other apples don't have seeds.

Not least because the name was borrowed for an item whose tight-packed payload reminded French soldiers of the fruit: the grenade.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Not to derail a little fruit chat, but in a similar vein the letter Y in French is igrec (ee-greck). A Greek I. It's similar in other languages as well.

I was 27 when I realised this and mildly ashamed. It took meeting my s/o this, since she is Greek

I'm no where near fluent in French, but I did think I retained a a good chunk from high school.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Old Balls McGee posted:

Not to derail a little fruit chat, but in a similar vein the letter Y in French is igrec (ee-greck). A Greek I. It's similar in other languages as well.

I was 27 when I realised this and mildly ashamed. It took meeting my s/o this, since she is Greek

drat, I'd never realized this, and I'm well over 27. Thanks for sharing. I always thought that was a weird name for a letter.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Now go look up the history behind the word "ampersand."

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Old Balls McGee posted:

I'm no where near fluent in French, but I did think I retained a a good chunk from high school.

Y is "i griega" in Spanish.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bad Munki posted:

Now go look up the history behind the word "ampersand."

Now the history for “octatherp”.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I think that might just be a weird US thing. Here I've only ever heard # called "hash"

Note that the name hashtag comes from this, not the other way around as some whippersnappers apparently believe.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

GotLag posted:

I think that might just be a weird US thing. Here I've only ever heard # called "hash"

Note that the name hashtag comes from this, not the other way around as some whippersnappers apparently believe.

We usually call in a "pound sign" or "hash" in the US. You only hear octatherp in discussions about trivia or from people who are really serious about making interrobangs a thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unfortunately people now call "#" a hashtag all by itself, not realizing that the actual tag is whatever comes after the hash

Language progresses and changes but it doesn't mean we're getting any brighter

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

GotLag posted:

I always heard # called pound until hashtags became a thing. It makes #MeToo a bit ironic.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Bloop posted:

unfortunately people now call "#" a hashtag all by itself, not realizing that the actual tag is whatever comes after the hash

Hearing it used like that sincerely in Olympus Has Fallen made me sad.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I always heard # called pound until hashtags became a thing. It makes #MeToo a bit ironic.

:wow:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Bloop posted:

Crappy Construction Tales: Language Has Load-Bearing Misapprehensions

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ashcans posted:

Crappy Construction Tales: Language Has Load-Bearing Misapprehensions

I'm right up the road
I'll bear your load
But I'm just drywall
HASHTAG ME

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Now you all need to look up the 20+ names for the " ` " symbol. You know, the regular press for the tilde key, on a US keyboard anyway.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 16, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Now you all need to look up the 20+ names for the " ` " symbol. You know, the regular press for the tilde key, on a US keyboard anyway.

I'll put you in the grave if you disagree with me.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I had to explain to my mom once what #MeToo was all about. It was pretty loving funny.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

kid sinister posted:

You mean the back-tick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

That’s a grave accent.