Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Dumb question, but do the elements of the primals in the source match the calamities? Or something close to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

MechaX posted:

Finished the Eden fights.

PUG also flamed Titan for looking like Mecha-Thanos.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

God bless Soken, you loving maniac.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Was the first set of limited tomestones in SB 4 weeks after launch? For some reason I had it in my head they were coming this week, two weeks after launch, rather then two weeks from now.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
Eden is very fun, and the music is great. Be prepared to die a bunch if you're going in blind.

mechanics spoilers:
Ask me about dying to the instant-kill edge of the arena twice in E1 before I figured it out, or shoulder-tackling straight into a bottomless pit on E3, or getting vroomed off the stage by titan-car, or...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Azubah posted:

Dumb question, but do the elements of the primals in the source match the calamities? Or something close to them?

I’m not sure what you mean to be honest. There have been Calamities of almost every element type through Eorzea’s long history, so technically there’s a Primal that corresponds, but the elemental Primals don’t have anything to do with Calamities.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

MechaX posted:

I found it hilarious that not only did WoL somehow end up imagining Leviathan with an extra head, but we literally have the Titanmobile. It would be hilarious if Savage ended u giving him a new form like a Titancopter. PUG also flamed Titan for looking like Mecha-Thanos.

"I remember I fought his head and hit something else. Was it a second head or maybe his ta-crap he has two heads now"

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Bland posted:

Vague Eden Spoilers What is it with Nomura and amnesiac characters?

it's because nomura is a loving talentless idiot op

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

Kurieg posted:

1) Summoner's abreviation is SMN.
2)It used to be very difficult to do good DPS as SMN since you had to line up your cooldowns, It's better about that, but now it's basically john loving madden with the button pressing. In a just world you could use the Egi-Attacks while you're casting other spells but I don't think Squenix's infrastructure is set up to allow that.

If all you want to see is big numbers, BLM is the class for you. If you like the utility that SMN brings but wish it was a bit less clunky, RDM is for you.

Summoner isn't half as difficult as people make it out to be. You pop all your OGCDs in your first Dreadwyrm Trance and then reuse them as they come off cooldown, pretty much.

It's less hectic than the other two DPS jobs I've played in ShB, MCH and DRG.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

eden stuff I honestly have not been more excited during raids then this one, e1 was so out of left field it was amazing, e2 has excellent mechanics, and e3 and e4 had me yelling most of the fight, it was so overwhelming cool. Also frankly I love the weird corrupted, absolutely berserk music remixes we got and the fact that it means we are probably going to get 4 unique tracks next tier. Also, the mount for savage better be titancar or i'm going to be real disappointed.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

At 80 I'm coming around on Summoner, but the egi's still feel anemic. You're basically just pressing Egi Assaults to get Further Ruin procs and that's it. Phoenix is dope though.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah as a summoner id like to ahve my actual ifrit and poo poo doing a ton of damage, not little wet noodle hits when you mash their egi assault.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"Man, I can't imagine anything in this game will unsettle me as much as the Level 80 MSQ dungeon."

Titan: I'm back. :getin:

:supaburn:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Krabboss posted:

Summoner isn't half as difficult as people make it out to be. You pop all your OGCDs in your first Dreadwyrm Trance and then reuse them as they come off cooldown, pretty much.

It's less hectic than the other two DPS jobs I've played in ShB, MCH and DRG.

I mean, as someone who's leveling MCH hard (65 and counting quickly) MCH seems more intuitive than summoner. It's less of a hard rotation and more of a series of priorities.

Single Target:
0) If an OGCD is up, weave it between all of the below
1) Is Drill (and later Air Anchor) up? Reassemble if it's ready and Drill Baby Drill
2) 80/100 battery? Drop turret or Queen respectively
3) Wildfire up? Pop it before doing #4
4) Heat above 50? Overcharge and spam heat blast & OGCDs
5) All else fails, do your basic combo until either 1, 2, 3, or 4 come back around.

Your Wildfire/Overcharge windows are pretty busy, but any other time it's kind of bog standard DPS class.

For AoE it's basically Bioblast and then spam Auto crossbow and spread shot with OGCDs mixed in until all bad guys have fallen over.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Veev posted:

"I remember I fought his head and hit something else. Was it a second head or maybe his ta-crap he has two heads now"

Its so cool how the Wol is pretty much acting like an amaurotine here by imagining the primals. It really reinforces that revelation that we are 9/14th of an ascian.

I totally bet the Wol accidentally thought of cruise chaser and parts of Alexander when making titan, and so you get Titan's ATV transforming armor.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

Its so cool how the Wol is pretty much acting like an amaurotine here by imagining the primals. It really reinforces that revelation that we are 9/14th of an ascian.

I totally bet the Wol accidentally thought of cruise chaser and parts of Alexander when making titan, and so you get Titan's ATV transforming armor.

What crazy stuff will Ifrit, Garuda, Ramuh, and Shiva be? I'm imagining Ramuh is just going to be a giant, sentient beard. And Shiva will be part dragon or something.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

What crazy stuff will Ifrit, Garuda, Ramuh, and Shiva be? I'm imagining Ramuh is just going to be a giant, sentient beard. And Shiva will be part dragon or something.

I can already imagine thancred saying uriangers name while you are in the 'focus on making the primal' cutscene, and now Ramuh looks and sounds like Urianger.

Imagine what the summoners who start popping up later will discover. We are probably making the egi for the First.

The primals we make are gonna be imprinted into the aether returning to the world, perhaps for all time.

Just another legend to add to that of the Warrior of darkness who returned the night sky to the people.

I love how Eden uses its exact same summon attack from ff8, complete with prominently displaying the 'VIII' roman numeral when the summon circle rotates on the planet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Judging by every male character's upgrade in Shadowbringers, Ramuh is gonna be one hell of a hunky beard daddy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The new Gunbreaker sound effects are worse and I would like the old ones back please

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I didn't know how much I needed Urianger Ramuh until this moment.

Also, yeah, I wasn't expecting the first boss of the Eden Raid to be the titular character. Doesn't Eden know how these things usually go? :argh:

Ibblebibble posted:

Judging by every male character's upgrade in Shadowbringers, Ramuh is gonna be one hell of a hunky beard daddy.

There are a few side games that made him a lion. I wonder if XIV will go that route.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I had so much fun watching the streamer goldentot do eden for the first time.

He's a huge ff8 fan, and his sheer joy at everything about the raid, from eden, to the music, to the remixed primals was infectious. He was just so happy about all of it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Was the first set of limited tomestones in SB 4 weeks after launch? For some reason I had it in my head they were coming this week, two weeks after launch, rather then two weeks from now.
They were indeed.
Here's the patch notes for 4.05.
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/782e44043959ae82ead5c6745dac3297a0083b69
And even 3.05.
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/44dbad853713a8b307cc4745b8d28688cb23af11

You can basically map how content gets added in an expansion almost 1:1 with previous patches. The better tomestone gear comes at the same time Savage does, but you can only get the materials to augment them WITH Savage drops until the 24-man drops. But the 24-man is limited to one token a week for a while and also can't be used to upgrade the weapon until later. Bleeding edge ilvl is a reward for mid/hardcore players, but everyone eventually ends up able to hit the same point by the end of the patches.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Titancar nearly made me do a spit take.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Also, yeah, I wasn't expecting the first boss of the Eden Raid to be the titular character. Doesn't Eden know how these things usually go? :argh:

It's quite possible that this may not be the last time we fight Eden. Maybe the Oracle of Darkness will be involved, even.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, as someone who's leveling MCH hard (65 and counting quickly) MCH seems more intuitive than summoner. It's less of a hard rotation and more of a series of priorities.

Single Target:
1) Is Drill (and later Air Anchor) up? Reassemble if it's ready and Drill Baby Drill
5) All else fails, do your basic combo until either 1, 2, 3, or 4 come back around.

Your Wildfire/Overcharge windows are pretty busy, but any other time it's kind of bog standard DPS class.

For AoE it's basically Bioblast and then spam Auto crossbow and spread shot with OGCDs mixed in until all bad guys have fallen over.

My two cents going through the MCH leveling process.

RE: 3, Wildfire and Barrel stabilizer have the same cooldown. You should always be using barrel stabilizer into wildfire/overcharge to keep those cooldowns in sync and maximize wildfire casts, the only time you wouldnt want to do that is if you would overcap heat.
RE: 4, you will want to delay overcharge if Drill/Bioblast is going to come off cooldown during the overcharge window.

AOE you want to be using flamethrower before you start tossing out spread shots. This is the current AOE priority from the balance discord:

1. Bioblaster 2+ targets
2. Auto Crossbow 3+ targets
3. Flamethrower 2+ targets
4. Spread Shot 3+ targets (2+ targets below lvl80)

Frabba fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 16, 2019

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS

DeathSandwich posted:

Single Target:

With Summoner you just press the trance or demi summon button that's lit up and use every oGCD you have when they're up. They don't have an absurd number of skills to weave and the priority on the oGCDs is either self-evident or not all that important to your average dps. Like it won't matter a ton if you delay energy drain one GCD because you used two egi assaults instead. Just push all your buttons during trances and use Ruin IV to weave the few that come up when you're not in a trance.

I hadn't played SMN much between 60 and 80 and after I figured out they're totally different from HW it took me 10 minutes on a dummy to feel really solid on the job. I was worried because of what people are saying, but it was all really exaggerated.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Is the raid loot distribution same as before?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Shy posted:

Is the raid loot distribution the same as before?

Every gear slot token has a chance of showing up every trial, from what I've seen. Dunno about Extremes.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

That's totally the wingless Epoch. More Chrono Trigger content in XIV please. Maybe a whole raid, or an expansion even

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Vermain posted:

Every gear slot token has a chance of showing up every trial, from what I've seen. Dunno about Extremes.

It's 8 set drops every floor.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

queeb posted:

yeah as a summoner id like to ahve my actual ifrit and poo poo doing a ton of damage, not little wet noodle hits when you mash their egi assault.

I'd rather have that on autocast if they are just going to do no damage and be for a proc. Like if they got rid of having to press the stupid useless egi assaults it'd be at a fine place imo. at least playstyle wise.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kanfy posted:

It's 8 set drops every floor.

Ah, alright, that makes sense. Thanks!

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Had a great attempt on Eden 4. Everyone was dead except one WHM and a DRK, with a little less than 2 bars of Limit Break. The two of them fight it out and right before the third bar finishes the tank dies. The WHM uses healer LB3. Everyone had died around the edges. Titan uses Geocrush before anyone could move. The entire raid is immediately flung off the edge. No one could even be mad about it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

As someone whose first FF was 8, this raid is getting me right in the heart.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

That's totally the wingless Epoch. More Chrono Trigger content in XIV please. Maybe a whole raid, or an expansion even

Was the boss of Swallow's Compass not good enough?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

But for real this time! Stormblood next!!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

God damnit I just need to power through the story with one character instead of trying to level 5 of them so I can get that good poo poo.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I'm still a long way off, but how is end-game gearing for a filthy casual? Are basic raids easy enough to do through LFG or w/e? Or will I be capped out at dungeons without a pre-made group?

And finally, is there a huge disparity between "casual" end-game gear and the stuff that hardcore raiders get, or is it more like a "5% difference and epeen/bragging rights" thing?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Basic raids are going to fire through the duty finder all the time. You'll only need the top end gear if you're trying to do the most difficult content, which is harder versions of content you'll be able to play through normally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Hakarne posted:

I'm still a long way off, but how is end-game gearing for a filthy casual? Are basic raids easy enough to do through LFG or w/e? Or will I be capped out at dungeons without a pre-made group?

And finally, is there a huge disparity between "casual" end-game gear and the stuff that hardcore raiders get, or is it more like a "5% difference and epeen/bragging rights" thing?

You can definitely do both sets of raids with randoms, though the quality tends to drop off after weekly reset day, as the good people usually get it out of the way first. Savage gear is better, but mostly bragging rights.