Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
jesus that must have been a lot of elves known in advance if you're making build decisions in an aggro deck specifically about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

I assume they're better vs Faeries or something? I have no idea, but I definitely ran the gently caress over my Snow Tron opponent

That was probably me :sadpeanut:

I went 2-2 with a Snow Tron list on Saturday before dropping - given the prevalence of Elves in the room, it was decidedly the wrong call. I did get my Mono-G Tron opponent in the first round to complain three separate times about the Flicker-lock, so I'll count that as an extra win.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jock Seppuku posted:

That was probably me :sadpeanut:

I went 2-2 with a Snow Tron list on Saturday before dropping - given the prevalence of Elves in the room, it was decidedly the wrong call. I did get my Mono-G Tron opponent in the first round to complain three separate times about the Flicker-lock, so I'll count that as an extra win.

Are you the one with the paper bag playmat?? I thought I recognized it from here but felt awkward asking ARE YOU FROM THE SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS in real life

drat we have a ton of Seattle people itt. Great pauper community here

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

kingcobweb posted:

Speaking of Seattle, there's a GP here this week, with a bunch of Pauper side events. I'm trying to decide if I want to enter any of them.

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

Are you the one with the paper bag playmat?? I thought I recognized it from here but felt awkward asking ARE YOU FROM THE SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS in real life

Yup, that was me! But I'm in Portland, where the pauper community is pretty much whatever casual events I throw with my friends :(

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Pauper is sanctioned!

:toot:

Something like 415 new cards added to the format. I can't wait to see how this shakes things up.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I am extremely happy that Goblin Grenade is going to be legal.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Rather bummed Sinkhole got autobanned. If Sinkhole and Hymn were in the format, monoblack might actually be more than mediocre.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
There's any good source of reading material for Pauper aside from poking Hellsau?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

There's any good source of reading material for Pauper aside from poking Hellsau?

Most of the stuff that TheMaverickGirl writes is good. Most of the stuff that Alex Ullman writes is not. None of the podcasts are useful for competitive pauper, but some of them might be good for fuckin' around decks.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Is there anywhere I can actually see what the new cards this brings in would be?

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008

Network42 posted:

Is there anywhere I can actually see what the new cards this brings in would be?

Scryfall has a new filter. Not sure if it's permanent or how long it will last.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The most important part of this imo is REB and BEB being legal so that sideboards on MTGO aren't ridiculously expensive due to pyro/hydroblast. :toot:

Also 4 each of REB and Pyro might make Delver decks less oppressive.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hmmm.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I've stared at this image for ten minutes and now I have a nosebleed

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Silhouette posted:

I've stared at this image for ten minutes and now I have a nosebleed

Would you be surprised to know they played Snow-Covered Mountain and Deep Analysis in later games? Note that I did not see a red card or a Snow-Covered Island.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

Would you be surprised to know they played Snow-Covered Mountain and Deep Analysis in later games? Note that I did not see a red card or a Snow-Covered Island.

still don't see anything wrong

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Did they cast it off of astrolabe or something?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

Did they cast it off of astrolabe or something?

lol yep

they cannot ban Astrolabe and Tron fast enough

also hope they remember to ban Delver and Foil

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Astrolabe is fine because the meta on mtgo is like 50% durdly Boros Bully builds that do nothing but recur it with skyfisher or sac it to glint hawk for most of the game now, the other 50 is tron and delver ofc

Edit: Would banning Delver even really hurt mono-u delver at this point? It seems like Ninja and Spellstutter are the more oppressive cards in that deck these days. Delver itself is more of an afterthought, or an alt win con compared to just out-tempoing the opponent with small fliers, ninja card draw and a deluge of counter magic. Newer build I've seen are basically the mono-u deck from pre-war standard with more interaction.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 7, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Delver provides 25% of your wins as free wins, where oops you played a Delver or two and blindflipped and now your have a great clock. The rest of the deck is just support, and the rest of the deck is easy enough to combat when you're not worried about a miracle 3/2 flier attacking on turn 2.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Framboise posted:

Rather bummed Sinkhole got autobanned. If Sinkhole and Hymn were in the format, monoblack might actually be more than mediocre.

Unban Sinkhole, unban Hymn to Tourach, downshift Necropotence to common. I just want to relive the Black Summer over and over again till the end of time. :getin:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

necro would be unplayable in pauper

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Hellsau posted:

It wasn’t a serious post.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

bullshit, three devotion? blammo

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

it would be extremely playable, in the sense that I would put in in my deck and then register that deck for sanctioned events

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Speaking of extremely playable, here's a Tron deck that is extremely playable, in that you can play it even if you're not miraculously fast at MTGO:

https://pastebin.com/4nPZ9ZeB

Is this deck good? Yes, very. How good? I have people from all sorts of cultures complimenting me on my deckbuilding:

I don't understand Spanish but I'm sure that last line isn't a racial slur.

I don't understand the Zodiac but I'm sure being aligned with the sign of Cancer is good.

Anyway this is the usual Flicker Tron - get Tron, play Prisms and Astrolabes for colored mana, use the mana advantage to bury the opponent in card advantage. This deck is unique in that it's just a big pile of Flickers and creatures. There's a single Prohibit to ensure inevitability, force through important spells and block stuff like Fling, and a Pulse to ensure inevitability and avoiding getting burned out, but there are no utility lands, no non-creature/non-artifact card selection or draw spells, and the bare minimum of anti-combat stuff maindeck. There's not even an alternate win condition - your sole win condition is attacking them to death after Dinrova Horroring back the opposing board, or I guess decking them if they play a Monarch card. That's fine - with three Walls, three Horrors and six Flicker effects you are unlikely to run into a situation where you cannot win, though I suppose if Elves lands early Wellwishers you'll need to ensure you don't outdraw them.

Those 6 Flicker effects also make graveyard hate entirely worthless - if your opponent has an active Relic, when the hell can they pop it where it'll do anything? If you try to Wall back a Flicker, and they crack in response, you can Ephemerate the Wall, get the Flicker back, and they exiled nothing! Relic is somehow even worse than it usually is, and it's usually horrendous.

The mirror is still just a Tron mirror, where whoever gets Tron, colored mana and spells first wins, but with 3 Horrors, a pile of card draw and a bunch of Flicker effects, you are reasonably capable of crushing the mirror even if they get Tron first by Horror + Ephemerating them off Tron.

The sideboard is okay. The 8 Blasts might want to become 4 blue and 5-6 red, though at that point I'll need to add a Snow-Covered Mountain. There's two extra anti-combat cards, Lone Missionaries come in against aggro and Burn, Dispel against opposing counters, Pulse for Longbow or Affinity.

I might try an even more dedicated build with Omenspeaker and 4 Ephemerates, and I kind of want to squeeze in the Dispel and fourth Stonehorn to the maindeck. There's also the Evoke LD creature if I want to get sketchy, but Ephemerate is really insane with Evoke creatures so maybe that's where the deck should go. Sea Gate Oracle has been adequate, but gets sided out a lot because it's just not good against much of the format, but the deck does need a bunch of creatures to enable Ephemerate, so if they're getting cut then it'd be for other creatures, and the deck does need to hit its land drops so I'd want it to be another card draw or filtering creature. Maybe Omenspeaker is worth it, I'll have to figure it out.

With Snowhorn Tron, I went 35-15 in leagues and then 4-3 in the challenge, recorded and posted here. I've gone 4-1 four times and 3-2 three times with this creature version, and 25-10 ain't bad for a new brew. Hopefully I'll manage to draw lands and spells in enough games to get a trophy eventually.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is only six snow islands enough to reliably cast the Astrolabes? And why do you play Ash Barrens instead of three more?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Shortest Path posted:

Is only six snow islands enough to reliably cast the Astrolabes? And why do you play Ash Barrens instead of three more?

You're answering your own question here.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

I'm playing a Snow Plains and 5 Snow Islands, plus 3 Ash Barrens to get whichever I need. I'm not totally satisfied with that manabase, but I'm trying to mitigate flood as much as I can, and the thinning from the Ash Barrens has helped a little. Once you get the first Snow mana, you can chain out Astrolabes, which certainly helps since if you do get stuck with a bunch of Astrolabes in hand you'll suddenly have a very good board position whenever you find a Snow land or Map.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Should I switch to a snow swamp manabase and play Arcum's Astrolabe instead of something like Phyrexian Rager? It makes it painless to splash for Dimir Guildmage's ability. I want to try that sucker out.

I also talked about a week ago trying to do a podcast called Pet Decks in the main MTG thread, and want to do MBC as my first choice brought to the table. The big question first is is MBC too good to be called a "pet deck?" It has been well known and for a time was one of the better decks in the format...4-5 years ago. And with the bannings it is making a comeback.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GoutPatrol posted:

...is MBC too good...

Not for any meaning of the word.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Should I switch to a snow swamp manabase and play Arcum's Astrolabe instead of something like Phyrexian Rager? It makes it painless to splash for Dimir Guildmage's ability. I want to try that sucker out.

I also talked about a week ago trying to do a podcast called Pet Decks in the main MTG thread, and want to do MBC as my first choice brought to the table. The big question first is is MBC too good to be called a "pet deck?" It has been well known and for a time was one of the better decks in the format...4-5 years ago. And with the bannings it is making a comeback.

It isn't making a comeback. MBC cannot beat Mulldrifter, and half the format is Astrolabe grindy decks or Tron. 19 of the top 32 in last week's Challenge were running 4 Astrolabe.

also I top 4ed with the deck I posted about above, it's good but not quite perfect yet.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Can you jam Astrolabe into the Glint Hawk / Skyfisher shell, or is trying to have snow lands *and* artifact lands in the same mana base going in too many directions at once?

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 16, 2019

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Can you jam Astrolabe into the Glint Hawk / Skyfisher shell, or is trying to have snow lands *and* artifact lands in the same mana base going in too many directions at once?

yea there's a few different decks running that package. you just need to adjust the manabase and replace your dual lands with evolving wilds and ash barrens

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Voyager I posted:

You can jam Astrolabe into anything and everything. Card's going to be banned, hopefully sooner than next year, and hopefully Tron goes too.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Now that Wizards has said they’re designing commons with Pauper in mind, I wonder if they intend to address Tron through new cards since it was such a glaring omission in the last wave of bans.

What could they downshift or design that would tone down Tron without making it completely unplayable?

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

BGrifter posted:

What could they downshift or design that would tone down Tron without making it completely unplayable?

Wasteland :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

The normal one for Mountains, one for Swamps, one for Plains and one for Forests.