Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Randalor posted:

I skimmed the first few and last couple pages, but whatever happened to the City of Villains classes? I miss just running around the city with my robot pals.

All classes are available to all sides now. Hero masterminds, villain blasters -- it's a thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Why am I just finding out about this now and not 3 days ago? God drat it! ...ah well, Mrs. Randalor is working several evening shifts this week, a good a time as any to dip back into CoH.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I guess I should add the small caveat that the epic archetypes have to start on their original intended side but can later swap alignment.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I guess I should add the small caveat that the epic archetypes have to start on their original intended side but can later swap alignment.

On the homecoming servers, you can switch as soon as you can make it to Pocket D and talk to the gull

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
What’s the best way to get salvage mats and enhancements (at 50) on goon server? Population is a little lower so ww is empty and finding teams can be a challenge

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

xxEightxx posted:

What’s the best way to get salvage mats and enhancements (at 50) on goon server? Population is a little lower so ww is empty and finding teams can be a challenge

Make and run a fire farmer. Run AE with standard rewards.
I usually have to drain my pockets ever 2-3 runs while also making millions and millions of INF.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Decided to do some rearranging in my base on Homecoming after an idea that 6x did.
For those that haven't set up a base yet or just need a quick run from character creation to somewhere else.

Use code SA-906 at the base portal and make use of mine, it'll drop you into a room that gives you teleporters to anywhere by level or by A-Z, works for either side.
Also you can level, buy enhancements, tailor, nurse for inspirations and merit vendor.
Also has a collider for a quick buff and an Ouroboros mission crystal.

Make use of it as you see fit.
Handy until you get your Ouro portal, which you can get through my teleporters at lvl 1, just go to Echo Galaxy and take the Tram there to Ouro, still cant use until 14, but you'll have it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So i hit a skyraider mission in faultine where the boss and his goons drop 3 force field generators and i (lvl 22 dual blades/willpower brute) cant hit anything. Will stacking insights help break through or should i drop the mission to -1 level or what would y'all advise

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

site posted:

So i hit a skyraider mission in faultine where the boss and his goons drop 3 force field generators and i (lvl 22 dual blades/willpower brute) cant hit anything. Will stacking insights help break through or should i drop the mission to -1 level or what would y'all advise

1. You can buy level 25 IOs now which are basically the same as SOs, which will massively help your accuracy. You should try and have one in each attack.
2. Insights will help, yeah. There's a combat tab that'll show you what % hit chance you have; each insight will add directly to that chance.
3. I forget if that mission has some special gimmick, but sky raider engineers dropping the FF generators are interruptable, so if you can hit them before they summon them you're gold.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Nah, that's the gimmick of the Castillo fight in that mish. Insights are the way to go; to-hit buffs directly counter defense.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Managed to get him, stacked a bunch of insight to kill two generators, which bought me enough space to cheese using the elevator a bunch to rest and work my way through the last generator. Then i got lucky where castillo moved far enough away from the goons that they didn't aggro

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Where are io for sale, I only see recipe?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Auction House only. But IME the actual supply of pre-crafted IOs is pretty hit or miss. Just buy the recipes from the machine, buy the salvage from the AH, and craft 'em yourself.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

Auction House only. But IME the actual supply of pre-crafted IOs is pretty hit or miss. Just buy the recipes from the machine, buy the salvage from the AH, and craft 'em yourself.

I'm guessing that, right now, the auction house is flooded with cheap basic IOs from people grinding out the crafting and vendor badges. In a month or two it will even out.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

is there like a Theoretically The Most Damage build out there? like across everything

and secondarily what would the most straightforward damage blaster set combo be?

i'm mostly just curious, half wanting to roll a blaster and having no good ideas for it

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Sea Lily posted:

is there like a Theoretically The Most Damage build out there? like across everything

and secondarily what would the most straightforward damage blaster set combo be?

i'm mostly just curious, half wanting to roll a blaster and having no good ideas for it

Other people can come in and correct this if wrong, but fire/fire blaster I think, just on account of fire’s secondary effects being more damage and blasters being all damage.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Sea Lily posted:

i don't think that's a particularly easy thing to answer in coh given like a fire/kin controller in a vacuum is probably gonna outdamage a lot of "damage" classes on account of having access to its own buffs and running rampant with its pets, that kinda thing

also Theoretically gets into the weird hypotheticals that will never come to be like 500% recharge and 700% damage or some crazy buff caps like that, where you can just cycle your two strongest powers over and over

on the topic of blaster tho Fire is a real easy and damaging and fun set definitely.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I ground out the badges. Dumped a ton of IOs on the market just because it's literally the fastest way to get rid of them.

The game could really use a "delete all" button, for the sake of market prices if nothing else.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I think Theoretically most damage just has to be a brute because of the 800% damage buff cap, which Theoretically it's always at.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Ran the Citadel TF with some goons last night. It was a good team and we ground it out in about 1:15, but dang does that TF emphasize how samey some of the maps and missions could be.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Sea Lily posted:

make a TW/Bio scrapper and go start mothership raids on your own

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

anyone else want CoH to look a bit better? with maxed out graphics CoH looks pretty good considering it came out in 2004, but still shows its age in some areas. lighting and shading tends to be pretty flat, so i've made a Reshade ini preset file that adds in bloom, MXAO, vibrance, ambient lighting, godrays + more. i've done what i can to configure it to look as good as possible, generally i've tried to make CoH pop and stand out a lot more. Ouroboros in particular is a standout and looks fantastic with better lighting, as well as teams that have a plethora of different powers and effects going off. it can be a little bit taxing performance wise tho so heads up. screenshots + link below if you're interested:

No Reshade

Reshade

No Reshade

Reshade

No Reshade

Reshade

No Reshade

Reshade

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1vrkltzpa3o4etc/CoHReshade.ini/file

to install: download and install reshade (https://reshade.me/) to the CoH directory, download the shaders, leave them all enabled, then go edit reshade shaders, load the ini file as the preset and you're done. if the text is all hosed up in game when you first load it, you just need to restart and it fixes itself.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 18, 2019

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Sea Lily posted:

for single target im pretty sure its some sort of Street Justice Stalker because of how insane stalkers are + how SJ combos interact with AS at high global rech + hide proc crushing uppercuts with build up resets

idk what the secondary would be tho. something with more damage in it, like shield maybe?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sea Lily posted:

For raw damage, Fire is the best primary. If AoEs are all that matters, Water is at least as good, maybe a bit better.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

site posted:

Either you're overpulling or running with a crazy multiplier - Sky Raiders only drop one force field per spawn, though Castillo's doesn't count for that.

Granted, that end room can have mutiple spawns clustered around the boss fight. I suggest grabbing the Blackwand or Nemesis Staff from the P2W vendor and shooting Castillo in his smug face from maximum range to pull just the boss entourage.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Glazius posted:

Either you're overpulling or running with a crazy multiplier - Sky Raiders only drop one force field per spawn, though Castillo's doesn't count for that.

Granted, that end room can have mutiple spawns clustered around the boss fight. I suggest grabbing the Blackwand or Nemesis Staff from the P2W vendor and shooting Castillo in his smug face from maximum range to pull just the boss entourage.

Better yet, shoot Castillo's personal engineer in the face from max range so he doesn't deploy a shield generator while Castillo's group runs over to you.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
I think the current form of coh enhancements were redone so you don’t need to six slot things like hasten or stamina, it’s only three before you basically get no boost? Trying to dust cobwebs off in my head,

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

xxEightxx posted:

I think the current form of coh enhancements were redone so you don’t need to six slot things like hasten or stamina, it’s only three before you basically get no boost? Trying to dust cobwebs off in my head,

Yes. Enhancements have diminishing returns so generally slotting three single origin/invention enhancements of a single type will cap you.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Sea Lily posted:

Theoretically is really tough to gauge. In theory, the answer is easily Mastermind if you can find a way to damage cap all your pets and yourself and keep yourself recharge capped. When you can do that, it's something like Ninjas/Storm or Thugs/Storm that's closest to the maximum amount of damage possible. In reality, so many secondary sets exist to either keep you from dying or get yourself buffed up to somewhere near those impossible theoretical numbers. I think TW/Bio Scrapper is a very strong contender for best "in reality" set with lots of -res debuffing, crits, good ST/AOE variety, and a high base damage modifier to use if it can find buffs. Or maybe Fire/Kin Controllers or something else that can utilize Kin's ability to buff you to the damage cap (and not get itself killed.)

For Blaster, I'm a big fan of Ice/Fire and Archery/TA. The former is a very classic Blaster mix of ranged/melee with tons of AOE and a lot of potential. The latter is pure ranged and has a bit of light control to it, which may be more to your liking than having to dip into melee.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

xxEightxx posted:

I did a whole thing about IOs, which was linked in the second post.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890655&pagenumber=17#post495693573

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Reminds me of the old MacHall strips.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

I keep remembering CoH content I was interested in back when the game was live, but can't find anymore now. That was some of it. One was a webcomic strip that covered common types of CoH toon, including the totally-not-copyright-infringement (The incredible Green... Lamp, half a dozen Neos) and the abomination (FANCY :cosmic2day:). Another was a blog that just built cool costumes. One was just a turd, and like his next entry was "You guys are ridiculous. I logged in and saw five loving turds." I don't have the Google skills to hunt those down.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Given that 'gender-washing' (Like 'greenwashing', but with gay/trans) is a thing, yeah, Crey would try and get in on this.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Dear lord, this is amazing. I was craving a Super Hero MMO to play, and I thought only DCUO was still going, so I installed that.

As I was waiting for it to finish, I casually went looking for CoX youtube videos. In amazement I found out that someone made their own servers! This is fantastic!

I've spent hours remaking a few of my favourite characters - My Mummy Pharoah dude who used to be Earth/Storm, but now will likely go Earth/Time to be more thematic; My TA/A Defender, which people didn't think was all that great until he had helped lock down groups, debuff them to hell, and help with the clean up; A brute who used to be SS/WP, but now will go SJ/WP because the animations are amazing.

I have so many other characters to make. This is fantastic and it is so great to see people getting back on and enjoying this game. I can barely contain my excitement over being able to play this again!

I wish I had of screenshot all my guys from back in the day. I need costume ideas!

I remember some goon made a guy called SKULL SKULL SKULL and managed to get his entire upper body to look like a Skull. It was amazing.

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 17, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Harrow posted:

Yes. Enhancements have diminishing returns so generally slotting three single origin/invention enhancements of a single type will cap you.

This part isn't quite accurate, since generic IOs have varying effectiveness based on level. 25s/30s are basically the same as SOs and thus cap out just about the same, but below that they won't hit the cap and at higher levels the third enhancement is going to be worth less because 2 will come closer to hitting the cap on their own.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm looking for something new to play once my current MMO subscription expires, and a goon mentioned this. Looks interesting, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Since this game is :files: and uses a private server, I assume it's free to play. Do I have to set up a fully fledged account and trust information to a private server, or can I use dummy info et al? Also, I assume it's relatively bug and malware free?

2. How casual-friendly is this game? I don't raid, I don't run hard dungeons, I'm just looking for a casual MMO game that can be played mostly solo with the option for groups for dungeons or whatever when I feel like it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cythereal posted:

I'm looking for something new to play once my current MMO subscription expires, and a goon mentioned this. Looks interesting, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Since this game is :files: and uses a private server, I assume it's free to play. Do I have to set up a fully fledged account and trust information to a private server, or can I use dummy info et al? Also, I assume it's relatively bug and malware free?

2. How casual-friendly is this game? I don't raid, I don't run hard dungeons, I'm just looking for a casual MMO game that can be played mostly solo with the option for groups for dungeons or whatever when I feel like it.

You just need to make a dummy forums account basically. No need to include real information.

CoH is the original casual friendly MMO. You can play as little or as much as you want and drop in or out at any time. You can go 1 to 50 entirely solo if you really want, and make it as easy or as hard as you want. But it's still more fun with other people!

The main downside is that endless missions can get pretty repetitive, but if you find yourself getting bored you can make a guy with completely different powers and try that out.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Given that 'gender-washing' (Like 'greenwashing', but with gay/trans) is a thing, yeah, Crey would try and get in on this.

i thought of the name in the wrong month tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Cythereal posted:

There is no real level limit on whom you team with, barring some content like Task forces. Task forces award "You did it!" badges, and a special currency called merits. You also get merits for running story arc content. Those and Trials are the only content level gated.

They have systems in play where if you are lower level than the leader of the team the game sets you to leaders level -1, and scales all your stuff to that level. if you are over level to the leader of the team, you get set to the leaders level and it scales you to that level. if you are soloing, the content is scaled for one hero. if you get in a 5 man team, they add enemies so everyone has something to do. Teams go up to 8 people. Everyone gets rewards for the mission finishing. There is no need to make sure everyone has the same mission when getting into a group.

If you find you are having too easy of a time, you can set your team size artificially to be larger that just yourself. Top builds solo like they are a team of 8 characters 4 levels higher than they are. if you are finding it hard, or just want to blow past the mission, you can set difficulty to lower level than yourself. the option to do so is in your emote list on your chat window and can be done at any time.

if you plan on soloing a lot, for your first characters, I recommend a Scrapper or Stalker. Tanker is unkillable if built right, but there is a stigma about them in team situations with bad ones giving the entire archetype bad names. Brute for a first character definitely can work, but it has mechanics that make you want to keep rushing and moving and you over extend if you dont know your limits. Scrapper is always on,
great damage, decent defense. Stalker is better damage, and can pick targets for assassination.

TLDR: Its extremely casual friendly. No one other than people from other mmos who have no idea how the game works demands certain builds or compositions. People in here joke about bad/joke builds, and yet they would still help the team beat content at a good pace. Its a MMO about wiping out masses of mooks and looking awesome doing it.