Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Four routes was so obvious that I'm surprised it counts as a points for the leaker. There's always some sort of true/alt route.

The leaks that have mentioned the fourth route have said was another Edelgard route and wasn't the traditional 'best/true' route like Revelation or w/e.

We'll see if that actually pans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

golden bubble posted:

Sounds like that confirms the leak for about four routes for the game:

• Blue Lions route
  • Golden Deer route
  • Black Eagles but you tell Edelgard she needs to be less tyrannical
  • Black Eagles but you tell Edelgard she needs to be more tyrannical

If they make a hidden, unlockable route that is not the golden ending but instead the one where you enable a tyrant to kill everyone else and then have to kill her, too... mad respect.

I wouldn’t mind a golden path, though. It would suck rear end if it were available at the start and there was just a clear correct choice to make. However, a central conceit of this game is that Byleth can see bad outcomes and then go back and fix them, and I think it would be neat if a New Game+ actually assimilated your first (successful) playthrough as a vision that Byleth was consciously using to steer things toward a better end.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Was No Grinding on hard mode mentioned before?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I'm not sure about the leak being correct about that Black Eagles getting two routes because of the mention of four games in one, which would imply the fourth route isn't just a choice made in one point of Black Eagles routes. I'm betting the fourth route is with the church.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

"As a fragile maiden, I am useless in battle" -murders a dude with an axe-

Hilda is great. :getin:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Shortest Path posted:

"As a fragile maiden, I am useless in battle" -murders a dude with an axe-

Hilda is great. :getin:

Considering she critted the guy to death I think she is subtly asking you to help clear up the mess.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Zoran posted:

I wouldn’t mind a golden path, though. It would suck rear end if it were available at the start and there was just a clear correct choice to make. However, a central conceit of this game is that Byleth can see bad outcomes and then go back and fix them, and I think it would be neat if a New Game+ actually assimilated your first (successful) playthrough as a vision that Byleth was consciously using to steer things toward a better end.

I would enjoy this, but I would like it if the game just had 3 okay-ish endings for each faction. Let the player decide what ending/route they liked the most and let them decide which one they want their headcanon to be.

ofc, that's a lot easier said than done. I wouldn't fault them if they made three bad endings and one good ending that you can get in NG+

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

not a bot posted:

I'm not sure about the leak being correct about that Black Eagles getting two routes because of the mention of four games in one, which would imply the fourth route isn't just a choice made in one point of Black Eagles routes. I'm betting the fourth route is with the church.

it can still split within the route to completely different scenarios

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I wouldn’t be surprised at two Black Eagle routes just because it seems that Edelgard is the lord with the most marketing focus.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Has any information regarding the expansion pack with new stories and characters been revealed? Does it point to the existence of a 4th house?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Gamerofthegame posted:

it can still split within the route to completely different scenarios

Yeah that was my thinking as well. Since we know there are importart decisions in each route which can have a big effect on the plot, the leaker probably took one of those as a fourth route instead of a variation inside the Black Eagles route.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Meallan posted:

Has any information regarding the expansion pack with new stories and characters been revealed? Does it point to the existence of a 4th house?

We don't know but it's doubtful it's a fourth house given the pass price.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm very excited for Charlotte and Mitama's baby

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tae posted:

Four routes was so obvious that I'm surprised it counts as a points for the leaker. There's always some sort of true/alt route.

Except for the times there aren't, like in Sacred stones

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meallan posted:

The DLC season pass is only 20 bucks, and it includes four 'things.' Alt. costumes for Byleth, grinding dlc, Something, and 'new stories and characters.' Even if you're saying the fourth thing is 70% of the asking price, I really doubt they'd only charge like 12ish bucks for a full route. My guess would be that it's 3-4 maps either set during the original war or with the Flame Emperor and Reaper Knight as protagonists, and nothing in it actually carries over to the main game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Except for the times there aren't, like in Sacred stones
The two 'routes' in Sacred Stones barely qualified as different, though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really like the stated changes to classes. Seems like it'll fix a lot of the issues I had in other games, where I was constantly confused about stuff like when to change class, what to promote to, etc.

Also the house to choose is very easy because Claude is obviously the best and the one to romance.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 16, 2019

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, safe bet on the last DLC being something like Future Past/Heirs of Fate/Rise of the Deliverance.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Endorph posted:

The DLC season pass is only 20 bucks, and it includes four 'things.' Alt. costumes for Byleth, grinding dlc, Something, and 'new stories and characters.' Even if you're saying the fourth thing is 70% of the asking price, I really doubt they'd only charge like 12ish bucks for a full route. My guess would be that it's 3-4 maps either set during the original war or with the Flame Emperor and Reaper Knight as protagonists, and nothing in it actually carries over to the main game.

Yeah, I also thought this would be the case. I had seen some speculation about it and am too removed from the fandom to know if it was based on a leak or just wishful thinking.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if anything its the opposite of wishful thinking. fates killed a lot of good will people had so now people are jumping at shadows whenever the idea of content comes up. there's probably four routes just because Game Design and also multiple sources have said there are, but there's no indication the fourth route is locked behind a paywall.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Do we know how many supports someone can have? Are we limited like GBA or can everyone do every support like Awakefates?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Do we know how many supports someone can have? Are we limited like GBA or can everyone do every support like Awakefates?
I really doubt they'd go back to limited supports, especially considering how small the cast seems to be relatively.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder if the students poached from the other houses will have supports with the students in your chosen house.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I think cross-house supports have been seen in some of the support lists. I imagine all eight students in a house will support each other (and Byleth), and then they'll each have one or two supports in each of the other houses, so that they can always support with someone in your army.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SgtSteel91 posted:

I wonder if the students poached from the other houses will have supports with the students in your chosen house.

I think we already saw one student having supports with students from another house, but I can't find it again under the deluge of released information.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I think we already saw one student having supports with students from another house, but I can't find it again under the deluge of released information.

It was in that German video that someone posted to show off that you can run around in your movement area like Warriors, rather than being limited to overhead control. The person flipped through a support list later on and, lo and behold, right below the first page (that conveniently perfectly fits their house + Byleth) was a support from another house.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

I really doubt they'd go back to limited supports, especially considering how small the cast seems to be relatively.

That makes sense, but if only Byleth can S support, that means that we can no longer ship characters in game.

Considering we've been able to do that for quite a while, to the point where three games have had it a as a central mechanic, it seems weird to me that they'd change that to entirely platonic supports. I mean, I guess you could say the same about the class system, but it seems like a drastic change.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Rank A" doesn't have to mean anything about the nature of the relationship anymore.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, its entirely possible some A ranks might be romantic. We know they're playing with stuff like some supports having multiple conversations per rank, limiting some people to B rank supports etc so having romantic supports be represented in a new way wouldn't be crazy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I suppose it it theoretically possible to have rank A be a romantic relationship and lock out all other A ranks and S ranks while simultaneously only allowing Byleth to S rank and allowing everyone to have unlimited supports, but that sounds guaranteed to annoy people who accidentally got their waifu dating someone else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean if you can only do d ranks post timeskip i imagine itd be pretty easy to sort the whole thing out

Who knows tho. Heck, im glad shipping seems to be mostly gone. Paired endings are cool but mechanically introducing a shipping chart is pretty exhausting and takes away from the actually fun part of shipping.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I'm thinking some A ranks might have some flirting or hints and it won't go beyond that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hellioning posted:

That makes sense, but if only Byleth can S support, that means that we can no longer ship characters in game.

Considering we've been able to do that for quite a while, to the point where three games have had it a as a central mechanic, it seems weird to me that they'd change that to entirely platonic supports. I mean, I guess you could say the same about the class system, but it seems like a drastic change.

When you have child units, shipping your units is a central mechanic. Since there are no child units in this game, s-rank supports are no longer necessary.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm not even wondering about S supports, I just want to know if I can ship people in game or if I have to write fanfiction to do that.

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Hellioning posted:

I'm not even wondering about S supports, I just want to know if I can ship people in game or if I have to write fanfiction to do that.

Like you’re not gonna write fanfic anyways.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

True enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Again it'll probably be like the GBA games. Some pairings will have implied romance, some won't, a few will have explicit romance. And imo that's the best system. The grey area between implied and explicit romance is interesting, every male/female support pair having to be romantic is extremely restrictive (theres a reason awakening and fates almost completely lacked characters related to one another outside of the lords), and we both know they aren't going to write a ton of explicitly gay supports between side characters so the end result was that things wound up extremely hetero of the sexual, when earlier games usually at least had stuff you could read into, and even some stuff that was all-but-explicit, including paired endings.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 16, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I liked the option to set up the romances in Fates/Awakening, or at least preferred it to the Persona-esque harem situation where the protagonist chooses amongst a large number of "options." It helps to avoid the sense that everything revolves around the protagonist (which is pretty bad in games like the aforementioned Persona). Though having it never go anywhere other than the child units means I won't be terribly upset at losing it.

I actually prefer the smaller casts, since I'd much rather have a smaller, more fleshed out cast than the giant ensembles from Fates/Awakening (I think Fates was even worse in this regard). With the latter I would constantly feel confused over who to level up, and would end up compulsively leveling up everyone. But the small cast also means there's less of an excuse to not have more involved social links than the "3-4 conversations" we got in the last couple games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Personally I'd prefer if there was no self-insert protagonist at all, but. Like obviously a game needs a main character and I don't mind the option to pick their gender/rename them but you can just, make them a normal character in the plot, not an extension of the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Endorph posted:

Personally I'd prefer if there was no self-insert protagonist at all, but. Like obviously a game needs a main character and I don't mind the option to pick their gender/rename them but you can just, make them a normal character in the plot, not an extension of the player.

This is me tbh. I know people like to self insert and roleplay, but it always feels really awkward to me. Like, I named Mark after myself in my first FE7 playthrough and felt super awkward every time a character would turn to the screen and address me by name. Every time I S-support someone with Robin I turn away from the screen because characters looking me in the eye and telling me they’re in romantic love with me gives me severe secondhand embarrassment.

And that’s me being a dork but still. It also makes it so that the Avatar can never be acknowledged to have screwed up so that the game doesn’t insult the player, which leads to a boring MC who never fucks up and has everyone kissing their rear end constantly.

Which I know happens with other FE protags as well. As much as I love him and PoR, Ike gets out of way too many social faux pax by the power of being the protagonist. But it feels worse with Corrin because the narrative isn’t just kissing their rear end, it’s kissing your rear end as the player.