Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Platystemon posted:

That’s a grave accent.

Only if you place it on top of another letter, which it does not do, that's a separate character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

kid sinister posted:

Now you all need to look up the 20+ names for the " ` " symbol. You know, the regular press for the tilde key, on a US keyboard anyway.

Oh, the antipostrophe?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bad Munki posted:

Only if you place it on top of another letter, which it does not do, that's a separate character.

No one makes up dumb secondary names for the other diacritics.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Pretty sure that's just a squiffy apostrophe.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

kid sinister posted:

Now you all need to look up the 20+ names for the " ` " symbol. You know, the regular press for the tilde key, on a US keyboard anyway.

Lowercase tilde.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god make it stop, here's a weird sink.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

there wolf posted:

Type I socket. Australian?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Lowercase tilde.
:hmmyes:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

there wolf posted:

what's the whole hr giger situation with the taps about?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wonder why that article is misspelling octothorpe.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/octothorpe

e. Oh it actually says. Weird. I guess I should have read it first.

e2. Oh yeah now I remember why I was gonna post in the first place:

I am just now learning, via Bad Munky, that apparently in other parts of the US, people can't buy actual yams? We definitely have them here in the SF bay area. Like, along with "red yams" and other sweet potatoes (which aren't really potatoes!), you can buy real actual yams. Various african and asian varieties.

Also Taro.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 16, 2019

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Type I socket. Australian?

I think China uses one that has the same layout but fractionally longer pins or something, but Australia has a bunch of lovely rental hovels, so could be either

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Doesn't look lovely to me. Just old.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Oh. Maybe this is crappy enough to meet your standards.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Piss is stored in the sink.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is it the camera angle or is that sink extremely low?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Zereth posted:

Is it the camera angle or is that sink extremely low?

Why do you keep pretending it's a sink

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean, it is a sink, in the general sense that “heat sink” and “carbon sink” use the word.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Here are some sinks for very short people with very small heads

Here is a sink for people with very long necks and very bad taste

Here is a sink for people with no elbows

Here is a sink for people who have a death wish

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Not going to lie, I couldn't figure out what the gently caress you were talking about in the first two until I looked at the mirrors.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Warmachine posted:

Not going to lie, I couldn't figure out what the gently caress you were talking about in the first two until I looked at the mirrors.

Also the sloping ceiling at the point where someone would be standing in front of the sink is a little (or a lot) too low for most people's comfort.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Are the mirrors in that first one tilt-adjustable shaving mirrors, mounted sideways?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I always heard # called pound until hashtags became a thing. It makes #MeToo a bit ironic.

Hahahaha holy poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://giant.gfycat.com/BlaringWelloffHornet.mp4

quote:

Neighbor wants to sue me and block my easement access (Ohio) (self.legaladvice)

I have a landlocked property that requires I traverse onto my neighbor and use his bridge for ingress and egress.
This is declared in my deed as well as theirs. It’s very concise with no explicit verbiage about expenses except that I “share in the upkeep of the driveway”.

From what I understand, they are the “serviant tenament” and I am the “dominant tenament” and that I have a right to enforce access to the easement. The easement is appurtenant style declaration.

I have records of upkeep expenses I have contributed to and shared.

The bridge has suffered much damage in the last 5 years due to drainage negligence from water running onto the topside of the bridge from their own driveway. They choose not to divert the water before it gets to the bridge and let it destroy the bridge. I have engaged in many repairs (filling in sinkholes, removing debris, grading.. etc.) I take photos before and after each repair.
The runoff has so many easy opportunities for diversion before reaching the bridge.

They have admitted this run off is damaging. I have this admission recorded.

I am downhill from this and contribute no water run off onto the top of the bridge. I am downstream from it all.

I have much video evidence of this destruction. Every time it rains, I film. In the winter, the runoff can flow for days after a rain. The bridge is earth fill over a metal culvert (now crushed) with steel beams on the sides holding everything together. The topside is limestone/dirt.

The bridge now needs replaced. They are now demanding I pay $5000 (half of $10,000) to build a completely different style bridge with no culverts and a steel inner frame with a thick poured concrete deck.

I provided alternative suggestions in an attempt to mediate, but we could not agree. I offered $1500 towards the alternative design, which should be $3000-$4000 total. The alternative is basically the same bridge, but replacing the culvert with an ABS/plastic one. The bridge would require their drainage that runs on top of the bridge to be diverted, in order to be successful.
They have since informed me that they are going to sue, build the new bridge and erect a fence to block my access until I pay. They state that the new bridge will be impervious to the drainage run off on top of it. They have no plans to divert this destructive water flow.

Looking for advice in general. Can they block? Can they force me to pay for an “upgraded” style bridge?

If it helps, I can provide a lovely MS paint.

EDIT: lovely MS Paint w/easement verbiage: https://imgur.com/x2oWfoM The verbiage defining the easement area is in the deed, but did not include. It is not disputed.

Brief GIF (of dozens going back to 2015) showing the un-diverted drainage run off: https://gfycat.com/blaringwelloffhornet

A few examples of sinkholes: https://imgur.com/a/vfRcdI2

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Old Balls McGee posted:

Not to derail a little fruit chat, but in a similar vein the letter Y in French is igrec (ee-greck). A Greek I. It's similar in other languages as well.

I was 27 when I realised this and mildly ashamed. It took meeting my s/o this, since she is Greek

I'm no where near fluent in French, but I did think I retained a a good chunk from high school.

Specifically to continue this language/letter derail (hey, it's still on this page)....

Greek had an "o" sound, and they had a letter for it. Later on, that "o" vowel sound shifted, and spellings were getting messed up, so they invented a new letter. This new letter was also "o" but since it was new, it went at the end of their alpha beta sequence. The original letter was small, and the new letter was big, so they got "little o" and "big o", or, in greek, "o-micron" and "o-mega." That's why omega is the last letter of the greek alphabet: it's the newest letter.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Specifically to continue this language/letter derail (hey, it's still on this page)....

Greek had an "o" sound, and they had a letter for it. Later on, that "o" vowel sound shifted, and spellings were getting messed up, so they invented a new letter. This new letter was also "o" but since it was new, it went at the end of their alpha beta sequence. The original letter was small, and the new letter was big, so they got "little o" and "big o", or, in greek, "o-micron" and "o-mega." That's why omega is the last letter of the greek alphabet: it's the newest letter.

Also "alphabet" is just the first two letters of the greek.. alphabet.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

so build a bridge actually on your property and tell them to kick rocks?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
From the imgur 2x6 house:

My friend Connor attaching 2x6’s. We built the whole frame and roof with 2x6’s, not a single inch of plywood. Why? Because we are so dumb. But honestly my dad wanted to build an insanely sturdy house.

Someone correct me but I have a hard time believing that OSB makes a less sturdy house than covering it in 2x6's..

answered own question, better shear stress with OSB.

Super 3 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 17, 2019

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Youth Decay posted:

Here is a sink for people who have a death wish

that's got to be a photoshop right? like, you'd have to intentionally cut into the sink basin and run the outlet up into it and it's not the kind of thing that could just accidentally happen (which is what's usually the case).

or i guess it was actually done on purpose, in which case i'd fuckin' love to hear the explanation for why from the person that did that :allears:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Freaking Crumbum posted:

that's got to be a photoshop right? like, you'd have to intentionally cut into the sink basin and run the outlet up into it and it's not the kind of thing that could just accidentally happen (which is what's usually the case).

or i guess it was actually done on purpose, in which case i'd fuckin' love to hear the explanation for why from the person that did that :allears:

Low-effort comedy option:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Jok...MyzpKIvkd7cnVM:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

Pretty sure its a decal or adhesive fake.

e: fb

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also "alphabet" is just the first two letters of the greek.. alphabet.

Kindergarten brain: ABCs
Normal brain: Alphabet
Greek brain: ΑΒs

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Yup. He did it to prank a housing inspector iirc.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ghostnuke posted:

so build a bridge actually on your property and tell them to kick rocks?

Assuming that's physically possible (considering grades, ground conditions, sightlines etc), it's probably cost a lot more than $5000 since he'd need to redo his driveway. He'd probably also need permission from the local authorities for a new curb cut on the public road, which their traffic engineers may well deny because the existing shared driveway is so nearby. (Depending on the distance, of course. You don't want two driveways too close by because it is more risky.)

I must say, the neighbour seems pretty stupid to not fix that drainage properly. It must be a lot of work for them to repair their part of the driveway every year.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 18, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I must say, the neighbour seems pretty stupid to not fix that drainage properly. It must be a lot of work for them to repair their part of the driveway every year.

Humans are unbelievable efficient at shooting their own feet and cutting off noses to spite faces.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Turn me loose with a bulldozer and excavator for a few days: I doubt I could gently caress it up more than it already is. I know things tend to look easy when you don't know enough about something to understand how hard it is, but the solution seems pretty simple here.

I've watched way too many hours of YouTube videos of a guy fixing problems like that so I'm definitely Internet Qualified to give advice on the subject.

Dig a ditch on the OP's side of of the road and install a culvert where it crosses his driveway. Regrade the road once in a loving while and put a crown on it so the water drains to the ditches like it's supposed to rather than picking up speed and eroding everything. It's going to take several years of hauling in loads of gravel to get it all patched up once the underlying water flow problem is fixed.

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 19, 2019

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Darchangel posted:

Humans are unbelievable efficient at shooting their own feet and cutting off noses to spite faces.

Humans will spend 50x the effort, time and money to spite an enemy than to actually fix a problem they have related to that enemy.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We are the greatest apes.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
Crappy Construction Tales: I doubt I could gently caress it up more than it already is

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

frodnonnag posted:

Crappy Construction Tales: I doubt I could gently caress it up more than it already is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hello friends I think this belongs here:

BubbaGrace posted:

Sorry for the double post and interrupting DIY questions but I just have to share this Handy Andy hack job. Not my picture but this may be the worst thing I've ever seen.