Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Instagram in particular seems designed from the ground up to make teenagers want to kill themselves. remember imagining that everyone else was having a great time while you were sad and feeling broken? we've built tools to give you photographic proof that everyone actually is having a great time, without you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

people like to call me a paranoiac or luddite but I haven't found a single person who cut themselves out of social media entirely or almost entirely and was unhappier as a result, nor someone who knows someone who was

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think it’s relatively uncontroversial to argue that some of the absolute rise in mental health diagnoses has to do with the overall decline in economic stability and worsening outcomes for the broad majority of Americans since the 1990s, plus perhaps the inescapable cultural rot that comes with the breakdown of the neoliberal consensus (alongside the fallout of its 40-year supremacy) and the ascendency of eliminationist conservatism, which drives things like mass shootings and the infiltration of law enforcement by white nationalists.

It’s even probable that technological developments like the internet and especially social media heighten the effect of these phenomena by rendering them more visible and creating a subjective sense that they are inescapable and must always be present to the mind.

Yeah it was a little reductive of me to imply it's ONLY caused by social media but there is absolutely a rise in mental health problems for young people that's impossible not to see, even with possible changes in self-reporting

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

Epic High Five posted:

people like to call me a paranoiac or luddite but I haven't found a single person who cut themselves out of social media entirely or almost entirely and was unhappier as a result, nor someone who knows someone who was

in my friends I've noticed a direct correlation between how cool someone is and how early they left social media. the coolest people did it in like 2012 and I, the least cool, am still on it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Ultimate Doge posted:

Yeah it was a little reductive of me to imply it's ONLY caused by social media but there is absolutely a rise in mental health problems for young people that's impossible not to see, even with possible changes in self-reporting

it's gonna require a lot more study and response than it's gonna get, alas

imagine how unhappy you are at how things are right now and you're an adult, and then imagine you're not an adult yet and what you're seeing is the world you're about to inherit except all the 80 year old ghouls are still gonna stay in charge ruining things and blocking any progress until they're 110

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

closest thing to social media I've been on is these forums and it's completely ensmoothened my brain just utterly devoid of wrinkles :orb:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Its Coke posted:

in my friends I've noticed a direct correlation between how cool someone is and how early they left social media. the coolest people did it in like 2012 and I, the least cool, am still on it

thank god SA exists so that I've never had the time nor will to do literally any other social media beyond facebook messenger for irl organizing

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Agean90 posted:

closest thing to social media I've been on is these forums and it's completely ensmoothened my brain just utterly devoid of wrinkles :orb:

For real? I had to quit checking the Trump thread because it got bad for my mental health.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

StashAugustine posted:

I'm picturing him as Domnhall Gleason's character in Dredd
he's neo-nazi henry dorsett case cause im pretty sure one of his original charges involved meth and MDMA and also multiple governments want him dead

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Epic High Five posted:

There's been papers about how people on social media are more miserable because they see and endless barrage of hundreds of people doing one or two exciting things and thinking that's their entire lives

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Is weev the encyclopedia dramatica guy

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

I’m gonna keep saying it: social media use today is gonna be looked at with horror in 100 years, like ancient people putting cocaine and radium in their coffee or chugging laudanum on the job at the mill

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I’m gonna keep saying it: social media use today is gonna be looked at with horror in 100 years, like ancient people putting cocaine and radium in their coffee or chugging laudanum on the job at the mill

lol at least cocaine and opium binges back then were social occasions

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
so gab apparently forked mastodons codebase recently and just replaced every instance of “mastodon.social” with “gab”.

in retaliation every mastodon mobile app has blocked connecting to gab, this has caused a massive inundation of 1 star reviews from confused olds.

lmao

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Soon an anti-incel serial killer shall be brought into reality.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

staticman posted:

You mean a hero of the people?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

So you know how jordan peterson hasn't been in the news much? apparently it's cause his wife has been diagnosed with cancer. i knew jorp's spawn is pretty awful, but anyone know if his wife is on board with his lovely beliefs?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

she probably hosed up and ate a piece of cauliflower or something

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mr Interweb posted:

So you know how jordan peterson hasn't been in the news much? apparently it's cause his wife has been diagnosed with cancer. i knew jorp's spawn is pretty awful, but anyone know if his wife is on board with his lovely beliefs?

I wasn't aware he was married, even though he has a daughter his wife has never appeared anywhere I've seen.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Interweb posted:

imagine being utterly owned and destroyed by pure logic on a daily basis. no, that lady is NOT OK

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Hellsau posted:

I wasn't aware he was married, even though he has a daughter his wife has never appeared anywhere I've seen.

hate to see it folks, he actually ate his wife as part of his all meat diet

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
his chaos wife was the one who managed his meals and scheduling and pretty much took care of his sick dying rear end singlehandedly so, lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

his chaos wife was the one who managed his meals and scheduling and pretty much took care of his sick dying rear end singlehandedly so, lmao

ah so he’s going to leave her for a TA?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Being a self-aggrandizing moron whose long-suffering wife cleans up behind the scenes is a pretty good summary of traditional masculinity tbh

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao

You mean a hero of the people?
:hellyeah:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

sending cum tributes of a murdered girl to her grieving mother is the closest we'll ever get to a universal definition of obscenity

I like to think of myself as a anti-authoritarian lefty but occasionally you run into poo poo that makes you think some people just need to be thrown in the oubliette. no trial for you, pepe.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

lol at least cocaine and opium binges back then were social occasions

(extremely 2009 voice) So Is Social Media, Just Look At The Arab Spring!!!

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

uber_stoat posted:

I like to think of myself as a anti-authoritarian lefty but occasionally you run into poo poo that makes you think some people just need to be thrown in the oubliette. no trial for you, pepe.

It's just sexual frustration dude..

Really tho. That guy is a ultra hosed up NEET in Turkey that has done this before, and will do it again. However "civilized" and "compassionate" you can be as a person, there are really some circumstances that make your blood boil. To the point of personally trying to contact Erdogan to show that trooper what Midnight Express was all about.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/michaelehayden/status/1151229834049155072?s=21

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

staticman posted:

We need a lot more then just one. We need teams of them, hunting and slaying incels, like the real-life vampires they are.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

We need a lot more then just one. We need teams of them, hunting and slaying incels, like the real-life vampires they are.

new Hunger Games style teen thriller where a nerd has to get laid before midnight or else the hunter killer drones will end him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Incels are 100% like that guy you knew in school who failed every test and laughed about it by saying that it was obvious that he would fail because he didn’t study.

Except instead of laughing they’re killing people.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/theferocity/status/1151149504214835202?s=19

https://twitter.com/tressiemcphd/status/1151210996855386112?s=19

exact feelings right now :smith:

edit:

Incels are 100% like that guy you knew in school who failed every test and laughed about it by saying that it was obvious that he would fail because he didn’t study.

i feel attacked

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 22:00 on Jul 16, 2019

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

new Hunger Games style teen thriller where a nerd has to get laid before midnight or else the hunter killer drones will end him.

Climax of the film:

Robot: “You don’t even have to get laid dude, just stop being the absolute worst.

Incel: screams NEVER as he pulls down his pants and starts publicly masturbating

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

uber_stoat posted:

prove they did it beyond a reasonable doubt then give them a wall to stand against and the vape of their choice

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Epic High Five posted:

I assume someone who was unhappier that way would just return to social media, though?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

pookel posted:

I assume someone who was unhappier that way would just return to social media, though?

maybe but it's easy to track because anybody who cuts themselves off from social media tells everybody they're doing so, and maybe 10% of the reason is necessity

also there'd be more people sharing posts from nihilism dot facebook about how they're a scorpio introvert who tried giving up social media but nobody irl liked their memes in word form

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

right, i knew she was the one who cleaned jorp's room and handled all his personal responsibility, but it was hard to tell if she was evil or just a hostage.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

uber_stoat posted:

Sounds more like Crank tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/sweatpantsfun/status/1151237568236675074