Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Dammerung posted:

Those ninety minutes are where dreams are born and die.

My goodness, it looks like a hornet nest or something.

It looks like Lego Hair. It is loving disgusting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The really impressive part isn't that she's saying the right things - she normally does, but it doesn't normally get this much attention - it's that she's correctly identified that this is the moment that the media is going to listen to what she has to say, and that her words are going to get a shitload of airtime.

Of course, that all comes off the back of her original "concentration camp" comments, which directly led to today. AOC is just shockingly good at this.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

"Camscam", for those not familiar with how Newt has always been a piece of poo poo, was when Newt realized that the C-SPAN cameras constantly broadcasting congressional discussions were fixed narrowly on the speaker's podium and wouldn't move, so he began attacking Democratic members of Congress as if they were right there, demanding they defend their votes and actions, and used their "complete silence" as a response to further imply that they were terrible cowards who couldn't even offer a paltry explanation. When Speaker O'Neill learned what was going on, he went to the chamber, waited for Gingrich to start it again, and told the cameraman to pan and show that Gingrich was addressing an empty chamber, and that none of the people he was attacking were around, and that it was all theatrics.

Republicans were so pissed they tried to censure O'Neill over it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mahoning posted:

Haven't other Reps done this already?

I don't think so since the midterms? I could be wrong.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

looks like A Change is Gonna Come

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

This is good, but you can file the articles at any time, it only really matters if action is taken on them (see Dennis Kucinich filing 35 Articles of Impeachment and basically nothing happening afterwards).

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

theflyingorc posted:

The really impressive part isn't that she's saying the right things - she normally does, but it doesn't normally get this much attention - it's that she's correctly identified that this is the moment that the media is going to listen to what she has to say, and that her words are going to get a shitload of airtime.

Of course, that all comes off the back of her original "concentration camp" comments, which directly led to today. AOC is just shockingly good at this.

Is it shockingly good though? She's just being an honest, outspoken person. I think it's more that our standards have gotten really, really, realllllly low.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1151172646819811328?s=19

Did we cover this?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Blink 88

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Yup. Conehead will break it in a week.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

There Bias Two posted:

Is it shockingly good though? She's just being an honest, outspoken person. I think it's more that our standards have gotten really, really, realllllly low.
I don't agree, she's way more tactical than that. There are tons of "honest, outspoken" things she could be saying, but she's saying the ones that are hard to challenge and that drawing tons of attention while still being 100% accurate.

It's similar to how Trump makes the conversation all about him but by being shocking, she does it with the truth, which is not actually easy to do!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Republicans have now spent 50 min arguing with the house for Pelosi words to be struck down.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

There Bias Two posted:

Real honesty is shocking in our government.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Lycus posted:

Holy poo poo, Newt's hair.

If you take a closer look, it's actually a motorcycle helmet with a hair motif painted on.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think she mind-melded Senator McConnell into saying something dismally stupid again, and the media's attention span is short enough that you can predict reasonably well that they'll immediately jump on a story like starving wolves on a kilogram of ham. It's great that she's taking the opportunity like this, of course, I just think that praise might be a tad hyperbolic.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Onion satire immediately upended and nullified

A rare sight

AOC's gonna be President

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think so since the midterms? I could be wrong.

You're right, but Al Green has introduced articles of impeachment at least twice already, the last time in January of 2018 when it was defeated (tabled) by a vote of 355-66, which means 121 Democrats voted against the motion.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Mahoning posted:

You're right, but Al Green has introduced articles of impeachment at least twice already, the last time in January of 2018 when it was defeated (tabled) by a vote of 355-66, which means 121 Democrats voted against the motion.

I actually do think that voting for it pre-Mueller report would have been pretty dumb.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
seems like a bad rule?
https://twitter.com/MEPFuller/status/1151217423556718598

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Bumping this because it got kind of buried by the (admittedly wonderful) 'Name-the-MAGA-girl-group' contest a few pages back.

I'm jaded as all gently caress but somehow this admin has still managed to surprise me with their outrageousness. At least it means I'm still capable of feeling things I guess!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

SKULL.GIF posted:

Onion satire immediately upended and nullified

A rare sight

AOC's gonna be President

It seems the future of campaigning will not be begging for donations over the phone, but spending an equal amount of time on social media, spreading one's message.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

theflyingorc posted:

I actually do think that voting for it pre-Mueller report would have been pretty dumb.

Voting to impeach a President who'd repeatedly violated the emolument clause, did not divest from his businesses, employed and elevated family members into security clearance positions, and repeatedly committed flagrant diplomacy errors (can't really think of a more appropriate word rn) up to and including calling an entire region of the world a shithole would have been pretty dumb?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

There Bias Two posted:

It seems the future of campaigning will not be begging for donations over the phone, but spending an equal amount of time on social media, spreading one's message.

It's a sign of effective policy and connections to your constituents, I think. If you, as a congressperson, find yourself begging large donors for multiple hours a day over the telephone rather than inspiring people to support you organically, I think it's a sign that you might not be the right person for the position.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

SKULL.GIF posted:

Voting to impeach a President who'd repeatedly violated the emolument clause, did not divest from his businesses, employed and elevated family members into security clearance positions, and repeatedly committed flagrant diplomacy errors (can't really think of a more appropriate word rn) up to and including calling an entire region of the world a shithole would have been pretty dumb?

Yeah because facts don't matter for poo poo, I think doing so at the time would have resulted in a pretty significant backlash against the Democrats.

I don't get why so many people seem to think that a thing being true matters in this hellworld

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Lol, the rule was made in 2016 by a Republican House in preperation for Trump for this exact situation.

E: Edited out that Trump had already won the election, he hadn't.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Nazzadan posted:

Lol, the rule was made in 2016 by a Republican House in preperation for Trump for this exact situation.

My favorite part is that they added "doesn't care about black people" in 2005 after Kanye said it about GWB lol

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

We are like a week away from them making up awesome black and white “The Squad” t-shirts and them too-sweeting each other all the time.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
anyone praising CNN needs a reminder to stop

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1032781804732862464

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1151221820751777792

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

There Bias Two posted:

It is extremely rare for a first term house rep to dominate the national conversation for a sustained period of time like she has been able to do. There are 90 freshman house reps this cycle.

She is remarkably good at this

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Everything on that list directly refers to Trump and was all adopted after he was the Republican nominee.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

theflyingorc posted:

My favorite part is that they added "doesn't care about black people" in 2005 after Kanye said it about GWB lol

The Speaker's words will be pulled, we do not quote Yeezy in this building.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah because facts don't matter for poo poo, I think doing so at the time would have resulted in a pretty significant backlash against the Democrats.

I don't get why so many people seem to think that a thing being true matters in this hellworld

similarly to Nixon, it's important to make sure the citizenry understand why you're voting to impeach and agree with you

Impeachment hearings are something we should be doing by now, but jumping straight to the vote at best reduces Democrats' ability to milk the hearings for airtime and high-powered subpoenas, and might as you say be actually counterproductive.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Nazzadan posted:

Feel like it could have been a “just in case he does, and in case we lose the House” type of move.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Stereotype posted:

Everything on that list directly refers to Trump and was all adopted after he was the Republican nominee.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1151222042043326464

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Yeah if AOC accomplishes one thing, and that thing is "gently caress spending all your time calling donors when you can connect with your constituents instead for even better results" it's a game-changer.

And she's accomplishing a hell of a lot more than that.

And the reason she has a microphone at all is Fox News race-baiting and looking for a new villain for their fearmongering narrative.

It's loving amazing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Phones are dead, young people do not use landlines or cellular voice service at all. If they want to hear each other they'll use VOIP. That's on top of all the reasons not to pick up a call for an unknown number in the first place.

Why can't the House majority change that rule?

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

What do they have to do to toss all the "No being mean to Donnie" rules? Just loving get rid of them

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mistaya posted:

And the reason she has a microphone at all is Fox News race-baiting and looking for a new villain for their fearmongering narrative.
They boosted her, sure, but honestly - even speaking as an early skeptic of her, she would be doing VERY WELL even without Fox creating this monster out of her. Not AS well, but seizing your moment is a skill, too.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

haveblue posted:

Phones are dead, young people do not use landlines or cellular voice service at all. If they want to hear each other they'll use VOIP. That's on top of all the reasons not to pick up a call for an unknown number in the first place.

Why can't the House majority change that rule?

I think they can, but I have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
New Sedition

Color Be Badd