Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

mistaya posted:

Yeah if AOC accomplishes one thing, and that thing is "gently caress spending all your time calling donors when you can connect with your constituents instead for even better results" it's a game-changer.

And she's accomplishing a hell of a lot more than that.

And the reason she has a microphone at all is Fox News race-baiting and looking for a new villain for their fearmongering narrative.

It's loving amazing.

It's a heck of a silver lining, isn't it? The video of her giving a speech before Congress on behalf of her constituents who had been affected by the government shutdown was huge, and she hasn't slowed down from then. She's definitely risen to the occasion and above the GOP's fearmongering - it's amazing how they've only pushed her to loftier heights!

Whoops, almost forgot the tax.

Dammerung fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Could the Democrats not have trashed that rule after they took power?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah because facts don't matter for poo poo, I think doing so at the time would have resulted in a pretty significant backlash against the Democrats.

I don't get why so many people seem to think that a thing being true matters in this hellworld

If Democrats had taken charge and control of the narrative then it would have been fine. I guess we can both agree that the Democrats were weak, spineless cowards more interested in waiting until all the work is done for them than actually trying to shape the narrative.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dammerung posted:

It's a heck of a silver lining, isn't it? The video of her giving a speech before Congress on behalf of her constituents who had been affected by the government shutdown was huge, and she hasn't slowed down from then. She's definitely risen to the occasion and above the GOP's fearmongering - it's amazing how they've only pushed her to loftier heights!

They have absolutely no idea what to do with intense millennial power such as AOC has, every single time they've come for her she's loving chaos dunked all over them from high orbit

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Wait, what, I feel like I've never heard of these decorum rules but I feel like I should have? I get that you don't want senators caning eachother on the floor, but not being able to call out corruption? The founder's heads would be spinning over this bullshit.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/HMAN-112/pdf/HMAN-112-jeffersonman.pdf

(6) referring to him as ‘‘a little bugger’’

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dammerung posted:

Ms Adequate posted:

They have absolutely no idea what to do with intense millennial power such as AOC has, every single time they've come for her she's loving chaos dunked all over them from high orbit

I have to say that this conversation taking place at the same time theflyingorc is angrily insisting that the Democrats couldn't possibly have done anything is some real :discourse:

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1151225006732566529

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

mistaya posted:

Yeah if AOC accomplishes one thing, and that thing is "gently caress spending all your time calling donors when you can connect with your constituents instead for even better results" it's a game-changer.

I doubt that will be a lasting accomplishment.

People are energized now. Progress is slow. Those folks will get tried of slow progress or get complacent.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Can't the Dems just bring it to the floor and say "gently caress you, we're not striking it" with a simple majority?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SKULL.GIF posted:

I have to say that this conversation taking place at the same time theflyingorc is angrily insisting that the Democrats couldn't possibly have done anything is some real :discourse:

all they had to do is be as effective at marketing on new media as a millennial who we're all currently marveling at, guys. it's JUST THAT SIMPLE

Just be as good as somebody who is knocking all our socks off, guys. Just do that.

Just say anything. As long as it's compelling, mesmerising, a tour de force!

edit: She also wouldn't have been able to turn public opinion at that time. Now is a pretty good time, and I hope we can move towards impeachment.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 16, 2019

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1151226057397284864?s=19

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

wait what

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

RBA Starblade posted:

Plain White Girls

Average White Bund

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is amazing. If there is one thing we get out of this administration it's the constant reveals of all the ways that the office of the presidency is completely beyond reproach as long as you dig hard enough for obscure rules.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is amazing. If there is one thing we get out of this administration it's the constant reveals of all the ways that the office of the presidency is completely beyond reproach as long as you dig hard enough for obscure rules.

Well, half of those have been added since it looked like Trump was going to be the Republican nominee

Most of those rules are to directly impact him.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

since when have the rules mattered to republicans

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

loving Trump people are out there defying subpoenas and being corrupt as gently caress and Democrats can't just say, gently caress these rules, you're not abiding by them, Trump is a racist, majority rules, we're not loving striking it down!

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ah, but you see, she didn't call the president racist OR say he made a racist statement, she specifically said that it was the Tweet that was racist, and a tweet isn't a statememt because the dictionary defines a statement as being either spoken or in writing, not something typed!

Checkmate atheists.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think what'll be more telling is what happens after he leaves the white house. Does he get prosecuted or not? Does everyone around him get prosecuted? Are his badly covered up crimes exposed?

I can imagine a total dem stab in the back about not prosecuting people under some sort of bullshit "moving forward" platform and people loving hating it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

since when have the rules mattered to republicans

they put it in there just for this exact scenario lol

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If Pelosi's words are struck down, all the progressive reps should take time to talk about Trump being a racist.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think what'll be more telling is what happens after he leaves the white house. Does he get prosecuted or not? Does everyone around him get prosecuted? Are his badly covered up crimes exposed?

I can imagine a total dem stab in the back about not prosecuting people under some sort of bullshit "moving forward" platform and people loving hating it.

I honestly wonder if he is going to be mentally fit to stand trial in four years

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

They are using Pelosi strike down to justify striking the entire resolution.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Ms Adequate posted:

What it really comes down to is that she has no reason to play by or pretend to care about their ridiculous double-standards. Attacks and maneuvers that would damage somebody like Pelosi are just perceived as the self-serving moves that they are. It's fantastic, I hope she is the start of a new trend of politicians!

Doctor Butts posted:

I doubt that will be a lasting accomplishment.

People are energized now. Progress is slow. Those folks will get tried of slow progress or get complacent.

I don't think she'll be slowing down any time soon.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ice Phisherman posted:

if nothing else the current NYAG ran on a platform of investigating and prosecuting Trump, and her predecessor blew up the Trump Foundation

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SherylNYT/status/1151227591493410817
https://twitter.com/SherylNYT/status/1151228702069411840

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

USPOL Summer: there seems to be a lot of confusion on the House floor

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Fighting tooth and nail to strike down a strongly worded letter of do-nothing. :psyduck:

Those rules are clearly bullshit and the house majority should move to you know, vote on striking all those bullshit rules that have just come to light. Especially if they have no precedence and were only put in place to shield Donald loving Trump from criticism.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

One thing that is interesting from AOC's speech yesterday in particular, which I haven't seen anyone mention, is she straight up said Trump is using the Department of Transportation to strong arm politicians.

Trump and McConnell have absolutely been doing this to keep people in line, since Elaine Chao (McConnell's wife) can absolutely withhold funds from states at a whim.

Generally Secretary of Transportation is a cushy job without much day to day, since most construction projects are planned years out. But Chao has apparently been threatening anyone they can that she'll nuke their district if they don't go this way or that. It's mostly been republicans to keep them in line, but apparently it's happened to some softer Dems as well.

Like this is every definition of abuse of power in existence but it's barely a story at all.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Dammerung posted:

I don't think she'll be slowing down any time soon.

It's not about her. It's about the people donating and her constituents.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/1151229543773954048

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/1151230405623865344

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

CuddleCryptid posted:

I honestly wonder if he is going to be mentally fit to stand trial in four years

I can think of nothing better than for him not to go to prison, but forced to an old folks home for dementia. The sooner the better, honestly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

mistaya posted:

Fighting tooth and nail to strike down a strongly worded letter of do-nothing. :psyduck:

Those rules are clearly bullshit and the house majority should move to you know, vote on striking all those bullshit rules that have just come to light. Especially if they have no precedence and were only put in place to shield Donald loving Trump from criticism.

Republicans are VERY into precedent and decorum because decorum lets them hide their actions and precedent was often established in less enlightened times, so setting a precedent to do away with decorum is really, really bad to them.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1151227563236368384?s=20

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ugh...glad she's getting exposure, not glad she's going on Rubin's show. He's about as dumb as it gets.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CuddleCryptid posted:

If you adjust for "has an expensive attorney" it's not clear he's fit to stand trial now.

But yeah more seriously that's been his predictable defense since day 1.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Majorian posted:

Ugh...glad she's getting exposure, not glad she's going on Rubin's show. He's about as dumb as it gets.

Sounds like they're made for each other.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

theflyingorc posted:

all they had to do is be as effective at marketing on new media as a millennial who we're all currently marveling at, guys. it's JUST THAT SIMPLE

Just be as good as somebody who is knocking all our socks off, guys. Just do that.

Just say anything. As long as it's compelling, mesmerising, a tour de force!

The implicit argument here is that AOC is unique and exceptional. She's not. She's really, really not. She's one of us. She just isn't beholden to AIPAC, she isn't beholden to corporate interests, she hasn't been bought and paid for. As a result she can actually speak her mind and she can actually fight for her constituents, American citizens, and people across the world. If that's your bar for exceptional, then, sure, go ahead. But we're going to see a lot more people like AOC come 2020 and 2022 as more millennials break into our politics.

It's in the interests of the status quo to paint AOC as a shooting star because it has a stifling effect on others who might think about following in her footsteps, instead of AOC showing that the Democrat party is stuffed to the gills with careerists and lifers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/juliehdavis/status/1151231285827919872

Doesn't sound like they plan on recanting the statement