Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I just did the drive in reverse order (Anchorage to Baltimore) last September. Are you crossing onto the AlCan in Minnesota or taking one of the ferries? Once you enter British Colombia, expect there to be very little along the road from then on until you cross back in at Tok. Best practice is to fill your gas tank anytime you get below half a tank, just in case. It's the middle of summer so I doubt very many stations are closed, but there were a few when I drove it last fall. There was still plenty of traffic though, so if you did end up in a bind you won't be there too long.

Stop and enjoy some hot springs and enjoy the drive, the Canadian Rockies were gorgeous to drive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The house belongs to them too, now.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

See, like, if those were spiders I’d be peeing my pants while putting a gun in my mouth. But since they’re crebs it makes me say “d’awww” and makes me want to pull up a chair and watch them do cool crab stuff for hours. :3:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
But spiders are just fuzzy, jumpy land crabs

Still cute and in need of love :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gently caress no spiders are weird and creepy and while I respect the vital role they serve in the ecosystem I would prefer if they didn’t have to be so scary while doing it.

naem
May 29, 2011

Slaan posted:

But spiders are just fuzzy, jumpy land crabs

Still cute and in need of love :(

spiders are just vanmpire crabs (cranmbpire)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

horseshoe crabs are more closely related to spiders than they are to crabs

really we should call them horseshoe spiders or maybe just horseshoe... things

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Let's just call them friends :unsmith:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cool lil buddies that need help getting off their backs

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
spiders are awesome

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

redm posted:

spiders are awesome

This is false.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

And sometimes they wear very fancy hats!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’d rather have a family of spiders in my house than literally any of the bugs that spiders hunt and eat.

It’s like “ok I don’t really want bears in the woods but if I didn’t have a bear in the woods then I’d get eaten by wolves.”

but in this metaphor bears don’t eat people.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

boo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Whole lotta spiders getting posted in the cool crab thread :(

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

I’d rather have a family of spiders in my house than literally any of the bugs that spiders hunt and eat.

It’s like “ok I don’t really want bears in the woods but if I didn’t have a bear in the woods then I’d get eaten by wolves.”

but in this metaphor bears don’t eat people.

Yeah pretty much - I got heaps of red backs around and I love having them cause they don't cause trouble, don't make huge cobwebs and they eat roaches and flies!

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
crab spider

spider crab

the circle of life rolls on :mufasa:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Jumping spiders are some of the cutest things on Earth!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Crabs are water spiders and spiders land crabs.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Leperflesh posted:

really we should call them horseshoe spiders or maybe just horseshoe... things

Xiphosurans! :hist101:

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Edit: link just won’t work right, must be on their end.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ContraBoss posted:

My Fellow claw-hearted and carapace friends!

Thots n prayers for Jojo and co. since I am faced with the logistical nightmare of flying/shipping my lil snippets from Baltimore all the way to Anchorage, AK! I’m particularly worried about my shining star and hamster wheel champ Jojo at the moment because he hasn’t been quite acting himself, is missing part of a leg, and has a big fractured dent on his big claw. To make matters worse, it appears he went under to molt, which is REALLY bad since I would have to dig him up during the process and pack him into a small container in hopes the extreme cold temperatures across Canada and AK don’t leave me with a makeshift crabsket with his corpse sprawled out of his shell. That stupid crab gave me enough meaning during this dark time of my life these past few years that I must ensure his safety at all costs. :derp::cry:

If any of you experienced and worldly crab patrons have ideas or tips, I’m all antennae. Let me knooooow!!!

Bonus toad Jennifer, because she is nothing but a petite and pretty little lady, who literally waits for crickets and pillbugs to walk close enough to her lair.

BONUS BONUS Praying Mantis I found that is only interested in eating the heads of unfortunate crickets and leaving behind decapitated corpses and she only seems to eat the heads and litter the tank with gruesome cricket corpses.

the manits is compelled to kill despite not being hungry. chilling
however ur crabs will surely be fine they're extremely hardy champions

crabs have been respected since the dawn of time and appear in all forms of human artistry

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

crebs

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

SniperWoreConverse posted:

the manits is compelled to kill despite not being hungry. chilling
however ur crabs will surely be fine they're extremely hardy champions

crabs have been respected since the dawn of time and appear in all forms of human artistry

it's like a ceramic crab fiestacat or something

glorious

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Xenomrph posted:

See, like, if those were spiders I’d be peeing my pants while putting a gun in my mouth. But since they’re crebs it makes me say “d’awww” and makes me want to pull up a chair and watch them do cool crab stuff for hours. :3:

Depends on the timing. When I lived on Diego there were very few spiders (fortunately) but tons of various crabs around the island filling various niches in the ecosystem. One important niche is "tiny inch-wide crab that sneaks into Wild T's bathroom at night and scares the gently caress out of him when he wakes up at 0530 to pee". This happened several times, and I got really good at catching them with a solo cup and a piece of paper before tossing them outside.

I did have four small, 3" or so wide white crabs whose burrows were directly outside my barracks door. They'd venture out at night or when it rained to do crab stuff and would bolt back into their burrows whenever I walked by, before sneaking back out moments later. I ended up naming them Larry, Curly, Moe and Shemp and I'd toss them little pieces of food and watch them scarf it. What wasn't so much fun was my neighbor dropping the cherry off his cigarette into the grass and one of them grabbed it thinking it was food, then waved it's little claw around like "owwwww".

We also had Warrior Crabs, which despite the fearsome name and being giant angry-looking red guys were total softies. A big one (maybe 7" across or so) scuttled into my office when I was going out for a smoke break. He wouldn't leave voluntarily and kept defensively posturing with his claws so I pulled a palm frond off a tree and tried to get him to pinch it so I could drag him out. I spent way too long ineffectively poking his claw with this palm frond while he refused to grab it before I gave up and used the "nudge gently with boot" method to finally get him to go out the door.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 18, 2019

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/plastic-environment-pollution-crab-art-youth-1.5204035

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Wild T posted:

Depends on the timing. When I lived on Diego there were very few spiders (fortunately) but tons of various crabs around the island filling various niches in the ecosystem. One important niche is "tiny inch-wide crab that sneaks into Wild T's bathroom at night and scares the gently caress out of him when he wakes up at 0530 to pee". This happened several times, and I got really good at catching them with a solo cup and a piece of paper before tossing them outside.

I did have four small, 3" or so wide white crabs whose burrows were directly outside my barracks door. They'd venture out at night or when it rained to do crab stuff and would bolt back into their burrows whenever I walked by, before sneaking back out moments later. I ended up naming them Larry, Curly, Moe and Shemp and I'd toss them little pieces of food and watch them scarf it. What wasn't so much fun was my neighbor dropping the cherry off his cigarette into the grass and one of them grabbed it thinking it was food, then waved it's little claw around like "owwwww".

We also had Warrior Crabs, which despite the fearsome name and being giant angry-looking red guys were total softies. A big one (maybe 7" across or so) scuttled into my office when I was going out for a smoke break. He wouldn't leave voluntarily and kept defensively posturing with his claws so I pulled a palm frond off a tree and tried to get him to pinch it so I could drag him out. I spent way too long ineffectively poking his claw with this palm frond while he refused to grab it before I gave up and used the "nudge gently with boot" method to finally get him to go out the door.

See, all of this sounds awesome.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:
Crawb :thunk:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

This made me laugh a whole lot harder than it probably should have :haw:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

i snip, therefore... i snip again

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Hairy Crub

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Cute kwob

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Maybe next time the name changer goes around I can be Eugene V Crebs

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tunicate
May 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Xenomrph posted:

Not to get too political but

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Hey you stop playing crab rear end over there or I’ll turn this car around!