Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Maybe they're just lovely people and we don't need to find an excuse for their behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone coined the term Trickle-down morality yet

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

https://twitter.com/DMRegister/status/1150132805403385856

This is so strange and bizarre ... the guy states that the mistake he made was taking the people in, and not ... I donno ... raping a vulnerable minor?!?! It's almost like this story is setup to feed into the narrative of "those aren't really families coming over" when the narrative should be "these are extremely desperate people that are being taken advantage of".

He's only being charged with bringing in an harboring a foreigner, not with rape. That's why he doesn't think the latter was a mistake, I assume.

quote:

Amy Francisco and Cristobal Francisco-Nicolas face federal charges of “bringing in and harboring certain aliens.” The charges were filed in the Northern District of Iowa, though initial court appearance documents for both were filed July 11 in the Southern District of California.

Francisco-Nicolas, 38, is also accused of raping the girl while his wife watched. Authorities have not charged him with any sexual offenses in this case, a review of Iowa court documents show.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Lambert posted:

He's only being charged with bringing in an harboring a foreigner, not with rape. That's why he doesn't think the latter was a mistake, I assume.

Rape isnt generally a federal crime, unless they wanted to charge him with a Mann Act violation or something.

Id expect Iowa to charge him with rape and kidnapping, though.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Disney heiress... good?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/16/media/abigail-disney-disneyland-undercover/index.html

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah she’s been pretty decent for a while I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPDa8ZmBLgc

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I forget the name of the video but she called bullshit on the idea that people like her needed a tax cut.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The country has always been like this its just with the internet and drifting social norms stuff like this is finally getting called out. Our country built on abusing and violating those lower on the racial totem pole

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea there's no good billionaire but Disney Lady is at least on the list of 'least disgusting'

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

yea there's no good billionaire but Disney Lady is at least on the list of 'least disgusting'

Labor camp instead of guillotine ?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Labor camp instead of guillotine ?
Nah, silence and solemn looks from the spectators as she's marched to the guillotine rather than the usual thrown vegetables and taunting.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

sexpig by night posted:

Some of the most hardcore revolutionaries in the French and Russian revolutions were aristocracy themselves

teacher_man
Feb 11, 2017
When I am led to the guillotines I will say, "lol hell yeah good fuckin' job guys"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

teacher_man posted:

When I am led to the guillotines I will say, "lol hell yeah good fuckin' job guys"

I will say “lol this owns”

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ratbert90 posted:

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

ratbert90 posted:

I will blink this out in Morse code as my severed head gasps for air

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1151648699870789632

Can't wait.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Feldegast42 posted:

Some of the most hardcore revolutionaries in the French and Russian revolutions were aristocracy themselves
Most of the French ones eventually got the guillotine, anyway.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Inferior Third Season posted:

Most of the French ones eventually got the guillotine, anyway.

Most of the hard core French revolutionaries got the guillotine, regardless of their background, and most of the Old Bolsheviks got shot. Revolutions tend to eat their own.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

YES!

Maybe they can correlate it with this list:

https://twitter.com/JaBogen/status/1109097735951663104

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Disney lady had a pretty interesting interview on NPR recently where she said that Disney itself is pretty much the last "shameable" company because the product they are selling you is warm fuzzy childhood feelings and things that damage that reputation directly impact their sales margin. She also countered the interviewer's mention of her philanthropy with "I want to live in a society where philanthropy is unnecessary." and lots of calls to raise taxes on the rich. She's good and cool and unfortunately has 0 control over the company.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

mistaya posted:

Disney lady had a pretty interesting interview on NPR recently where she said that Disney itself is pretty much the last "shameable" company because the product they are selling you is warm fuzzy childhood feelings and things that damage that reputation directly impact their sales margin. She also countered the interviewer's mention of her philanthropy with "I want to live in a society where philanthropy is unnecessary." and lots of calls to raise taxes on the rich. She's good and cool and unfortunately has 0 control over the company.

"I want to live in a society where philanthropy is unnecessary." is pretty much the best response to any capitalist whining about their charity.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mistaya posted:

yeah she also dumped a company for loving over Palestinians. she seems to be pretty legit left wing and is trying to use her wealth and privilege for good instead of selfish evil. so thats good.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

teacher_man posted:

I will ask "are you sure that thing is safe?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I will ask "are you sure that thing is safe?"

"Buddy you could hurt someone with that" are real good last words

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"they couldn't guillotine an elephant at this dist-"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"Whatcha gonna do, guillotine me?" I ask as they're shoving my head through the hole

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

“I can take it.”

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
Actual last words: https://www.geriwalton.com/last-words-during-french-revolution/

Guillaume-Chrétien de Lamoignon de Malesherbes posted:

Oh! Oh! voilà qui s’appelle un mauvais présage. Un Romain à ma place serait rentré.

"Oh! Oh! that’s what is called a bad omen. A Roman in my place would have gone in again." He supposedly said this on 24 April 1794 when he stumbled as he was leaving the Conciergerie prison to mount the fatal cart for the guillotine.

André Marie Chénier posted:

Pourtant, j’avais quelque chose là!

"Yet I had something there!" These words were uttered by the poet André Marie Chénier as he stood on the scaffold on 25 July 1794. He said them to his friend, the poet Jean-Antoine Roucher, who was also guillotined the same day. Both men were accused and convicted of “crimes against the state.”

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
"Ahem. Better to be a man who-- uh...gently caress, what was the rest of that? No, I had something it was pretty good wait no please this can't be my last--"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah she also dumped a company for loving over Palestinians. she seems to be pretty legit left wing and is trying to use her wealth and privilege for good instead of selfish evil. so thats good.

Nah; anyone who is that wealthy and chooses to remain wealthy is still deeply immoral, even if they're willing to take a modest cut to that wealth. Nothing is stopping them from just giving most of it away themselves.

The wealthy might sometimes seem like normal, decent people, but one should never forget that their existence is a non-stop series of decisions to not save/improve thousands of lives at no real cost to their own.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Ytlaya posted:

Nah; anyone who is that wealthy and chooses to remain wealthy is still deeply immoral, even if they're willing to take a modest cut to that wealth. Nothing is stopping them from just giving most of it away themselves.

of course, you lean to hard into that, then you're just into libertarianism

nothing to do with what you want to give away, you could give away 50-90% of what you are and not as efficient as what the government could do with those revenues

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

The wealthy might sometimes seem like normal, decent people, but one should never forget that their existence is a non-stop series of decisions to not save/improve thousands of lives at no real cost to their own.

Never forget this excellent point. Someone with a billion dollars could give away 99.8% of his or her riches and still have 2 million dollars, ensuring that they'd never have to work for food, clothing, shelter, or child rearing ever again. The confiscated income is enough to pay 6700 people $15/hr for their labor for five years. The state University science building I work in cost $20m to build, that amount of money could build fifty such buildings.

A billionaire is proof that this system has been broken in half. That level of resource control should be wielded by elected officials who are held accountable by checks, balances, and the people.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ray Dalio apparently recently said on 60 Minutes that "income inequality in the United States was a national emergency requiring reform".

I don't know how he couched it, but all I can think of is a billionaire going I'M JUST ONE MAN, WHAT CAN I DO

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

mycomancy posted:

Someone with a billion dollars could give away 99.8% of his or her riches and still have 2 million dollars, ensuring that they'd never have to work for food, clothing, shelter, or child rearing ever again.

Live the rest of their lives off a measly 2 mil? Are you kidding, have you not seen the budgets showing how tough it is for people making hundreds of grand per year to survive? The rich have it hard. I'm assuming poor people are fine as I never see their budget breakdowns.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, Disney Billionaire is one of the few ones who deserves some respect for using their platform and resources to push for a not-ghoul agenda but you can't ignore that she could literally load 99% of her wealth into a giant cannon and fire it out over America for anyone to grab and she'd still be richer than most everyone else, so let's not throw our shoulders out patting her back.

Which in fairness is more a critique of capitalism as a whole than her as a person, to be clear. I'm sure she genuinely does want to do good things, she's made 'sacrifices' (heavily insulated to ensure she keeps her wealth but still) to help others and all, but the system itself is so toxic and ingrains the idea that by being Disney's grandkid she 'earned' her money and it's only fair she get to keep most of it that even good people often don't have the introspection to go 'oooooh, wait, I could fix like half these problems on my own just throwing my money at it. I can literally ball my cash up and hurl it at someone and fix some pretty major issues without needing to dance around with charity foundations and all'.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 19, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

sexpig by night posted:

Yea, Disney Billionaire is one of the few ones who deserves some respect for using their platform and resources to push for a not-ghoul agenda but you can't ignore that she could literally load 99% of her wealth into a giant cannon and fire it out over America for anyone to grab and she'd still be richer than most everyone else, so let's not throw our shoulders out patting her back.

Which in fairness is more a critique of capitalism as a whole than her as a person, to be clear. I'm sure she genuinely does want to do good things, she's made 'sacrifices' (heavily insulated to ensure she keeps her wealth but still) to help others and all, but the system itself is so toxic and ingrains the idea that by being Disney's grandkid she 'earned' her money and it's only fair she get to keep most of it that even good people often don't have the introspection to go 'oooooh, wait, I could fix like half these problems on my own just throwing my money at it. I can literally ball my cash up and hurl it at someone and fix some pretty major issues without needing to dance around with charity foundations and all'.

She's good for a billionaire, yeah. Just emblematic of how individual action can't fix problems because even powerful individuals are trapped by the preconceptions and biases of the system they operate in.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea Flint is a great microcosm of it. How many wealthy people have made foundations and initiatives to help it when literally just one of them could just give a fraction of their wealth to local groups to just replace the pipes and they could entirely fund it? I don't doubt those people genuinely feel situations like Flint are horrific and need to be fixed, I don't doubt they want to help, but for some reason the answer of 'you could just slam dunk a big check into the city's hands and get the entire system replaced with not poison pipes and poo poo' gets treated like it's silly cloud cookoo land stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

sexpig by night posted:

yea Flint is a great microcosm of it. How many wealthy people have made foundations and initiatives to help it when literally just one of them could just give a fraction of their wealth to local groups to just replace the pipes and they could entirely fund it? I don't doubt those people genuinely feel situations like Flint are horrific and need to be fixed, I don't doubt they want to help, but for some reason the answer of 'you could just slam dunk a big check into the city's hands and get the entire system replaced with not poison pipes and poo poo' gets treated like it's silly cloud cookoo land stuff.

“I want them to be happy and healthy and all, but you can’t possibly expect those kind of people to know how to do it, they need my firm and kind hand to guide them”.