Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Xelkelvos posted:

A number of Elseworlds were What If...?s though like Speeding Bullets or whatever the Batman who becomes a GL one is.

It's a shame they never made one where Kal-El (or, I guess Kara) lands on Themyscara

I suppose I think of What If...?s as being standard continuity up to a turning point, where Elseworlds' changes are deeper. As I think about it though, it's not really a distinction borne out by facts. Just look at JLA: Act of God (do not, actually, look at JLA: Act of God).

In general, Wonder Woman didn't get nearly enough Elseworlds; on a quick count there's three, and one of them's Superman/Wonder Woman: Whom Gods Destroy and I've heard that one called the worst Elseworlds. It's a shame, I think there's a lot of fun stuff you could do with a Wonder Woman Elseworlds. I also wish we'd gotten that weird fantasy Green Lantern Elseworlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

catlord posted:

Superman/Wonder Woman: Whom Gods Destroy and I've heard that one called the worst Elseworlds.

quote:

Superman is transformed into a woman... Superman, Lois (now the new Wonder Woman) and Lana all live together on Superman fortress on the moon in polyamorous love.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Is that....is that the official synopsis?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is Wonder Woman Amazonia any good? My friend loves the pop figure I got for her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

catlord posted:

I suppose I think of What If...?s as being standard continuity up to a turning point, where Elseworlds' changes are deeper. As I think about it though, it's not really a distinction borne out by facts. Just look at JLA: Act of God (do not, actually, look at JLA: Act of God).

In general, Wonder Woman didn't get nearly enough Elseworlds; on a quick count there's three, and one of them's Superman/Wonder Woman: Whom Gods Destroy and I've heard that one called the worst Elseworlds. It's a shame, I think there's a lot of fun stuff you could do with a Wonder Woman Elseworlds. I also wish we'd gotten that weird fantasy Green Lantern Elseworlds.

The Nail is definitely a What If..?

What if Ma and Pa Kent ran over a nail and didn't find Kal-el I'm throwing that in spoilers because I think it was a twist. If you like Elseworlds I think it's pretty decent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Nail is one of the best Elseworlds. The sequel is only so so.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

How is The Green Lantern? Saw the first trade is out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Agreed on both counts. Alan Davis naturally makes both very pretty, though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought the new Batman started this last leg off pretty well. We could have just time-jumped to this point after 50 instead of going through all the Knightmare stuff, but whatever. It's given me hope he'll pull off an entertaining ending.
Even the mandated Year of the Villain Luthor gift epilogue was good.

Anyway, Brian Azzarello/ Emanuela Lupacchino Birds of Prey announced,
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-unveils-new-birds-prey-comic-october-1224765

Also featuring Renee Montoya to round out the movie tie-in cast.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

blast0rama posted:

How is The Green Lantern? Saw the first trade is out.

Weird, man. Has a pulpy sci-fi feel. I like it a lot, but it’s pretty subjective.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Agreed on both counts. Alan Davis naturally makes both very pretty, though.

Superboy's Legion is also very pretty.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyway, Brian Azzarello/ Emanuela Lupacchino Birds of Prey announced,
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-unveils-new-birds-prey-comic-october-1224765

Also featuring Renee Montoya to round out the movie tie-in cast.

Aw. I guess it would be a stretch to have Cass bounce between LA and Gotham(?).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That was exciting for a moment until I scrolled down to see Harley Quinn. No thanks.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Can someone correct me on this but wasn't Azz attached to do a Suicide Squad comic ages ago?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

Can someone correct me on this but wasn't Azz attached to do a Suicide Squad comic ages ago?

As far as I know that never made it past the rumor phase, although one of them said he was going to have Wally on the team.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Madkal posted:

Seems like they promised Azz some big bucks for a book adjacent to one of their movies, and are pivoting to BoP.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

I still love Azzarello’s Wonder Woman regardless of the recent revisionism that’s been happening over that run. If we get Azz’s Wondy level as opposed to Azz on Killing Joke in terms of BoP quality then I’m all for it.

I would’ve preferred Azz on Suicide Squad though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The Nail sequel has one bit I like and that is the follow up to "The Joker is MURDERED" which is... he goes to Hell and promptly becomes a massive pile of trouble because of course he does, it's a comic book universe and killing someone doesn't make them go away unless they are a minority side character.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Azz shouldnt be on a bop book but im fine with harley being on the team

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Azz will do good. His Wonder Woman had a great ensemble cast.

Give the Suicide Squad to Ellis.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It still baffles me that people praise Azzarello Wonder Woman. That poo poo was so freaking antithetical to Wonder Woman.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It still baffles me that people praise Azzarello Wonder Woman. That poo poo was so freaking antithetical to Wonder Woman.

Eddie Campbell's Deadface was good enough that we could enjoy watching it regurgitated, at least for a while.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
You'd think that readers might wise up to "What if thing you know...but grim and dark????" as a narrative device at some point, and yet here we still are.

edit: Fraction's Jimmy Olsen is amazing y'all

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 18, 2019

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BrianWilly posted:

You'd think that readers might wise up to "What if thing you know...but grim and dark????" as a narrative device at some point, and yet here we still are.

edit: Fraction's Jimmy Olsen is amazing y'all

Is dex-starr still involved?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

X-O posted:

That was exciting for a moment until I scrolled down to see Harley Quinn. No thanks.

She really is the anti-excitement drug I need to keep me form spending money on a book, so thanks DC!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Whatever happened to that art camp Sean Gordo Murphy was running out of his house?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So I just read the Wonder Twins comic and it's kinda hosed up that the end basically says "actually, terrorism is good as long as the terrorists are well-intentioned" but then I guess I don't know what I was expecting from a Mark Russell joint.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wonder Twins also says people tend toward selfishness unless incentivized to care about one another due to the Lex Luthors of the world rigging economic and justice systems to put as many people on the bottom social rung as possible, but yes, "terrorism good," that was basically it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I get it, but also, it's a hosed up ending and not in a good way, imo

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Aren't there are six more issues coming down the pipeline? The series was originally scheduled for six but got an extension.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jayna (the closest thing to a POV character) doesn't admonish Zan for taking it to the JL to bust up, so she's conflicted in the end.
The main lesson it's teaching the kids is cynicism towards rich and powerful adults, institutions and corporations, which is all good by me!

Space Fish posted:

Aren't there are six more issues coming down the pipeline? The series was originally scheduled for six but got an extension.

Yup. That and Dial H get extended, but there's a break till September.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 19, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I mean, I get it, but also, it's a hosed up ending and not in a good way, imo

It's a hosed up ending because good things happening because humanity was being pushed to the brink was averted at the last moment and presumably many of those good things will go undone and the world will return to its horrible self.

Calling it "Terrorism" is basically a perspective thing just as the lines for "Freedom fighter," "Revolutionary," "Patriot," and "Traitor" are all sort of relative to where you stand with a revolution. Particularly with broad and massive political change.

It's a hosed up ending, but only to people who aren't already well aware of the despondent state of the world and the relative hopelessness of single individuals pushing for slow gradual change against the monolithic forces of capital and national governments. The whole random switch thing is very True Communism Now sorts of stuff since everyone would want as equal an economic status as possible as any existing inequality might mean getting switched into it and it'd be better to be equal to everyone than poorer than everyone despite the opposite possibility also being equally likely.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoPair posted:

So I just read the Wonder Twins comic and it's kinda hosed up that the end basically says "actually, terrorism is good as long as the terrorists are well-intentioned" but then I guess I don't know what I was expecting from a Mark Russell joint.

This is 100% true though. Terrorism is just a tactic, it’s not inherently good or evil in and of itself.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

TwoPair posted:

So I just read the Wonder Twins comic and it's kinda hosed up that the end basically says "actually, terrorism is good as long as the terrorists are well-intentioned"

where is the lie?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

If I’m putting together the (not terribly subtle) clues on Mitch Gerads Twitter correctly, the next Tom King/Mitch Gerads collaboration is...ADAM STRANGE.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

And...confirmed. With Doc Shaner!?!

https://www.twitter.com/dccomics/status/1152941759602671617

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This is going to be about his war crimes again. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can we just get some FUN silver agey stuff?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I love Adam Strange. I love King's work on lesser known characters. I am rather tentative about this. I would love a sci to space romp full of silver age goofery. I am worried that this will be not that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

married characters beware, you might be the next tom king miniseries