Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dravs posted:

isn't the customs union part of the single market?

no. turkey is part of the customs union and will never be let into the single market

a quick google has got me this

quote:

What is the transition period?

The United Kingdom and the European Union have negotiated a withdrawal agreement which provides the details of how the UK will exit the EU in March 2019. Part of that agreement is the transition period.

When the UK leaves the EU in March 2019 the plan is that the transition period will apply until the end of December 2020 at least. This could be extended until as late as December 2022, should both sides agree. Without a withdrawal agreement in place there will be no transition period and a so-called “no-deal” Brexit will take place. (What would a no-deal Brexit mean for Ireland? - read here).

During the transition period a kind of standstill would be in place where current trading arrangements between the EU and UK would continue. The idea is to give time for a new deal on the future relationship between the EU and UK to be worked out after the UK leaves. During the transition period the UK agrees to continue to abide by the EU’s rules and to be subject to the rulings of EU courts, but will have no say around the EU table.

Jose has issued a correction as of 13:55 on Jul 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jose posted:

no. turkey is part of the customs union and will never be let into the single market

So customs union is like stage one EU membership, and single market is stage two? More EU?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Yes, however, what I mean is, to be in the single market, you are also in the customs union by default? Like you can't be in the single market without also being in the customs union.

This would be an even worse deal for the ERG than what May was proposing, no? Can't wait to see how they justify it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dravs posted:

Yes, however, what I mean is, to be in the single market, you are also in the customs union by default? Like you can't be in the single market without also being in the customs union.

This would be an even worse deal for the ERG than what May was proposing, no? Can't wait to see how they justify it.

thats correct yeah

prefect posted:

So customs union is like stage one EU membership, and single market is stage two? More EU?

the customs union means the same tariffs on everything coming into/out of it from countries outside the union. The single market is tariff-free trading for the entire area

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Jose posted:

a quick google has got me this

Checks out: when you think about it both Turkey and us are occupying EU member territory

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

prefect posted:

As I understand it, the customs union is an agreement on how trade items are regulated, such as what chemicals can be used in fertilizer and things like that. The customs union is what prevents the UK from being forced to take chlorinated chicken from the US etc. You can still create your own trade deals with 3rd party countries and still abide by the customs union.

The single market is the 0 tariff trade agreement in effect across the EU, where all goods can be bought and sold without any impeding import or export costs. The goods can travel quickly across borders as the quality of all goods within the EU fall under the customs union, meaning there is a guarantee that nothing is tainted by outside influence (although it doesn't stop some random slaughterhouse in Romania from chopping up horses and selling it as beef as we have seen). As part of the single market you cannot create your own trade deals. All trade deals are done by the EU commission and apply to every member country in the single market. The point of this is that the EU can negotiate a better deal with it's GDP of $billions than a smaller country could with its GDP of $millions.

I think this is correct, someone tell me if I'm wrong?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Since I never remember it well enough the customs union covers the trade aspect of the single market including no tariffs between countries in the union. THe single market covers movement of capital/services/labour

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/facts-figures/eu-customs-union-unique-world_en

quote:

A uniform system of customs duties is being used on imports from outside the EU and there are no customs duties at the borders between the EU countries.
Duty on goods from the outside of the EU is generally paid when they first enter, but after that, there is nothing more to pay, no more checks and all goods move freely within the EU Customs Union.

The EU Customs Union is essential for the proper functioning of the single market. In practice, National customs services in all 28 EU countries work together as one to manage the day-to-day operations of the Customs Union. The European Commission proposes the EU customs legislation and monitors its implementation.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah you can't be in the single market without freedom of movement so that's why Turkey is just in the customs union and not the single market. That's the best case scenario for the kind of status post Brexit Britain could have, with a more likely scenario being Watch Dogs Legion and an even more likely scenario being Brit-Cit from Judge Dredd.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

We're heading to Children of Men or a full on revolution no matter what customs arrangements we end up on.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1151135740354449410?s=20

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lol I guess no deal really is Plan A

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

tory voters have never cared about the economy

so tbh it makes the most sense for bojo to NDB asap, call a GE on the back of "its done now so no point complaining, we can see a way forward. labour what even is their position lol?" and push hard on racism and punitive politics which is what their base actually gives a poo poo about.
you could probably get 5-10 years of bojo if they were racist enough

meanwhile the liberal press will back the libdems and cry about how the two big parties are both as bad as eachother

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I wonder why British Jews largely vote for the Tories and American Jews largely vote for the Democrats, like 80%+

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

lol I guess no deal really is Plan A

They don't have a plan, being as there is no possible plan.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This is the editor of the Jewish chronicle

https://twitter.com/stephenpollard/...ingawful.com%2F

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the antisemitism scandal has really just shown that almost all UK jewish establishment figures are basically dacre-tier far right shitlords and i didnt know that before and its a real shame

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

brugroffil posted:

I wonder why British Jews largely vote for the Tories and American Jews largely vote for the Democrats, like 80%+

both parties are similarly right wing though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you'd think with the tories going full fash over brexit they might turn out for lib dem instead

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1151165049706299392

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Obliterati posted:

Checks out: when you think about it both Turkey and us are occupying EU member territory

Naw just Turkey, the British territory is sleazily obtained legal squatting, like Guantanamo Bay in Cuba for the US.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1151206574691688448?s=20

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Eurosceptics Attack Johnson

Tories Choose Johnson

Britain Unites Behind Johnson

Hancock Defends Johnson

is this one of those cases where slang has diverged? if so, imagine if the next US president was named Charles Todger.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Doc Hawkins posted:

Eurosceptics Attack Johnson

Tories Choose Johnson

Britain Unites Behind Johnson

Hancock Defends Johnson

is this one of those cases where slang has diverged? if so, imagine if the next US president was named Charles Todger.

It isn't lost on us, trust me.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Newly Trimmed Johnson Wows Crowds

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

johnson blurts out some hot nonsense all over a visiting dignitary, leading to almighty cleanup operation

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

newspaper editors chanting "antisemitism" to the tune of "don't you want me baby"

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Brexit means Brexit, lads. Vitamin P even yearns for it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Centrists really have no idea how to advertise stuff do they

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/st...ingawful.com%2F

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

That's probably as far as they can go without getting sued though.

That sentiment repeated over and over and over in the press is effective, doing it as a single bombshell ad just feels weak they chose the wrong format.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Do we have to act like newspaper ads still matter?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Jose posted:

hahaha jesus loving christ wtf is going on

this poo poo doesn't even seem to matter that much to the general public, all it does is cement bitterness and strife among activists

these idiots are doing scorched earth in their own loving party

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

V. Illych L. posted:

Wouldn't be surprised.
Brexit is a chance for whoever is in charge to be making new rules and laws (BRING BACK HANGING FOR THE POOR AND IMMIGRANTS) and if they can get in charge they will be KINGS.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lambert posted:

Do we have to act like newspaper ads still matter?

how else am i to find a product which helps me get out of chairs or into bath/showers

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

Parties only matter as a vehicle for power and we then hope there's an ideology that lends a better purpose that power might be used for. There's a ton of Labour peers that just skipped the ideology and the better purpose phase, they are pure social power clout seekers. They don't see it as their party because once it stopped being an instrument of nominally non-ideological anti-redistributionism all the bits about it that mattered to them stopped too.

They don't see themselves as traitors or wrongdoers, they probably see themselves as perfectly sound folk, because they are seeing politics through a totally different, morally-lower frame than we are.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Vitamin P posted:

morally-lower frame than we are.

Ah yes, the way "we" see policy, Mr. Vitamin P.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jose posted:

im all the evidence

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

https://twitter.com/mrbradleygrant/status/1151247016372183041

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

happyhippy posted:

Wouldn't be surprised.
Brexit is a chance for whoever is in charge to be making new rules and laws (BRING BACK HANGING FOR THE POOR AND IMMIGRANTS) and if they can get in charge they will be KINGS.

i mean it's not as though the labour left can claim that rebellious factionalism is inherently illegitimate, but there has really got to be a limit - even with the iraq war the awkward squad never resorted to this sort of nonsense, and that was a genuine horrific crime against humanity

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

V. Illych L. posted:

i mean it's not as though the labour left can claim that rebellious factionalism is inherently illegitimate, but there has really got to be a limit - even with the iraq war the awkward squad never resorted to this sort of nonsense, and that was a genuine horrific crime against humanity

party democracy is surely the only way to judge how legitimate or illegitimate a particular stance is and the party has consistently spoken quite clearly, especially since it was given a meaningful voice

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

can't wait to see youtubers yelling in their car about thar ad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO21pcVEb-Y

IT BEGINS