Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

alex314 posted:

What I don't get is why the hell they needed old A2A missile?!? I'm sure Russia could provide them with portable systems with decent deniability.

They were not necessarily going to sell/give it to Ukrainian separatists. The Italian police are currently investigating various far-right groups that have fought on both sides of the Donbass conflict in Ukraine, and with Forza Nuova, who are a pro-Russian group, they just chanced upon a stash of weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah they we're saving that one to take out the dreaded Italian air force

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I believe a ski resort near Cavalese was interested in getting some anti-air defense system...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's the 5th anniversary of the MH17 shoot down today, so we've just released the first part of our new MH17 podcast documentary, which includes lots of interviews with all sorts of people involved with the case:
https://www.bellingcat.com/resources/podcasts/2019/07/17/mh17-episode-guide-1/

We've also just published a new piece giving more context to the arrest announced by the JIT:
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-...icials-to-mh17/

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah they we're saving that one to take out the dreaded Italian air force

1 missile for 1 working plane seems likely

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Navalny calling for protests this Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKJ8ubVJeqg

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1151763874271518721

:(

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Some local governments in the Polish equivalents of Bumfuck, Alabama have also passed resolutions declaring their municipalities "free of LGBT". LGBT is the new bogeyman peddled by the right in Poland after they found out that trying to scaremonger using immigrants is no longer effective.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Yes Europe, take heed. Poland will no longer take in the assigned quota of LGBT people.
Poland is not yet lost!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

szary posted:

Some local governments in the Polish equivalents of Bumfuck, Alabama have also passed resolutions declaring their municipalities "free of LGBT". LGBT is the new bogeyman peddled by the right in Poland after they found out that trying to scaremonger using immigrants is no longer effective.

Well, the only people who actually want to go to Poland are Ukrainians.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

Well, the only people who actually want to go to Poland are Ukrainians.

And they are not welcome there either! Just this month someone thrown a molotov at a Warsaw flat where Ukrainian workers live, and left this graffiti:

'UPAinian whores'

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Election time again in Ukraine:
https://twitter.com/SimonOstrovsky/status/1153242976979697665
https://twitter.com/SimonOstrovsky/status/1153245883657609217
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1153216752781860865
https://twitter.com/daniloeliatweet/status/1153190166221205505

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
The last map only shows only one of the two fascist parties' vote share in the Netherlands. We're actually much worse in reality!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

The last map only shows only one of the two fascist parties' vote share in the Netherlands. We're actually much worse in reality!

Well, to be fair, the pro-Russian parties are basically ethnic supremacist, and they got like 15% of vote combined. It's kinda hard to top NL voting for Russia's interests in a referendum right after Russia murdered a bunch of their kids, though.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, selecting just one party lets a bunch of countries (inc. mine) off the hook easy :v:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Well, to be fair, the pro-Russian parties are basically ethnic supremacist, and they got like 15% of vote combined. It's kinda hard to top NL voting for Russia's interests in a referendum right after Russia murdered a bunch of their kids, though.

Pretty sure most of the people on MH17 were adults, but yeah, it's bad.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

Well, to be fair, the pro-Russian parties are basically ethnic supremacist, and they got like 15% of vote combined.

If Boiko and Rabinovich are ethnic supremacists, Poroshenko's European Solidarity are also literal nazis. That's a bit disingenuous to say the least. Lyashko's Radical Party, on the other hand could probably be counted as far-right in the same sense as Austrian Freedom party, even though Lyashko is said to have served interests of 'pro-Russian' Lyovochkin. Gladly, it looks like Lyashko doesn't make into Rada this time.

It's also worth noting that the three bigger 'pro-Russian' parties have varying degrees of ties to Russia. Where Opposition Platform's (~11%) Medvedchuk is literally Putin's personal friend, the leaders of Opposition Block (~3%) are under Russian sanctions. Sharyi's Party (~3%) is a dark horse, and it's not clear if Sharyi is directly affiliated with any of Ukrainian oligarchs or with Kremlin, he used to support Akhmetov and Muraev's political projects, but they seemed to have fallen out.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 22, 2019

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

Pretty sure most of the people on MH17 were adults, but yeah, it's bad.

80 passengers were under the age of 18. I spoke at the symposium for the family members that was held for the 5th anniversary last week. I got the sense there was still frustration about various aspects of what happened, in particular how the government handled contacting and helping the relatives in the initial aftermath, and the way in which the Russian government seems to be getting away with doing a lot of terrible poo poo without any serious repercussions, but still a sense progress is being made towards justice and accountability. We interviewed some family members for the podcast we've made on MH17 as well, hearing from them about their experiences made me more pissed off with Russia over MH17 than I was before, their propaganda has been remarkably cruel to the family members.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

If Boiko and Rabinovich are ethnic supremacists, Poroshenko's European Solidarity are also literal nazis. That's a bit disingenuous to say the least.

Regardless, saying that viewing ethnic/cultural Ukrainians as a bunch of dumb peasants who can't speak properly isn't a major factor between relations between Russia, Ukraine, and certain fragments of Ukrainian electorate would be wrong. There is a reason I didn't use a specific right-wing label --- the charge applies equally to many a "liberal" Russian journalist.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

Regardless, saying that viewing ethnic/cultural Ukrainians as a bunch of dumb peasants who can't speak properly isn't a major factor between relations between Russia, Ukraine, and certain fragments of Ukrainian electorate would be wrong. There is a reason I didn't use a specific right-wing label --- the charge applies equally to many a "liberal" Russian journalist.

Well, yes, I don't doubt that part of their electorate hate Ukrainian language and culture. But then, you know, there is a substantial amount of voters for other parties who think that unless you speak Ukrainian in your daily life, you can't be a real Ukrainian. That's not the right way to judge what a party stands for for the majority of their voters. Poroshenko may have support of some nationalists with his 'Army. Language. Faith.' motto, but I don't doubt for a second that for the majority of people he is still just a guy whose party they think would be more effective in leading Ukraine to EU and NATO. By the same token, people may vote for Opposition Platform, because they see that no matter how you cut it Medvedchuk is the only politician who manages to free Ukrainian soldiers from Russian capture, and his party might be more effective at ending the war. It's also clear that both so-called 'parties of war' and 'pro-Russian parties' have lost half of their votes to Zelenskyi, because of his middle of the road rhetoric.

E: obviously, neither European Solidarity or Opprosition Platform have anything about ethnic superiority in their official documents, but you can easily find some spicy quotes by members of both calling people in Eastern or Western Ukraine respectively some unsavoury names. Again, not the best way to judge a party.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 22, 2019

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

80 passengers were under the age of 18. I spoke at the symposium for the family members that was held for the 5th anniversary last week. I got the sense there was still frustration about various aspects of what happened, in particular how the government handled contacting and helping the relatives in the initial aftermath, and the way in which the Russian government seems to be getting away with doing a lot of terrible poo poo without any serious repercussions, but still a sense progress is being made towards justice and accountability. We interviewed some family members for the podcast we've made on MH17 as well, hearing from them about their experiences made me more pissed off with Russia over MH17 than I was before, their propaganda has been remarkably cruel to the family members.

Oh trust me my dude, I know. One of the passengers was a teacher at my primary school (didn't teach me, but did teach my sister) and his girlfriend. Russia can get hosed forever.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Question about the map of Europe showing all the fascist-leaning political parties gaining power: Is this organic fascism or Russian-influenced fascism?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Question about the map of Europe showing all the fascist-leaning political parties gaining power: Is this organic fascism or Russian-influenced fascism?

It's both!

Say, the Front National in France is definitely home-grown Vichy nostalgists, but they also get substantial financial support from Russia and the Le Pens have been friendly with the Kremlin for over a decade.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's both!

Say, the Front National in France is definitely home-grown Vichy nostalgists, but they also get substantial financial support from Russia and the Le Pens have been friendly with the Kremlin for over a decade.

Jobbik are also good pals with Kremlin. On the other hand, Polish ultra-nationalism is distinctly anti-Russian, but if I'm not mistaken PiS are still friendly with some far-right European parties with ties to Russia. It's a land of contrasts!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Rydzyk enjoyed Russian support from mid 1990’, so it’s really hard to discern who PiS and other right wingers really like. They have absolutely no qualms with having one public facing set of beliefs and other private, as shown by Kaczynski’s tapes.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
While I'm aware that Navalny is a mixed bag, its kinda cool to see this: https://twitter.com/navalny/status/1152593331970592768

Not sure why the Kremlin decided to make a completely minor and local issue into a national issue. Can't imagine this was 4D chess.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

alex314 posted:

Rydzyk enjoyed Russian support from mid 1990’, so it’s really hard to discern who PiS and other right wingers really like. They have absolutely no qualms with having one public facing set of beliefs and other private, as shown by Kaczynski’s tapes.

See also their relationship with Trump.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pembroke Fuse posted:

While I'm aware that Navalny is a mixed bag, its kinda cool to see this: https://twitter.com/navalny/status/1152593331970592768

Not sure why the Kremlin decided to make a completely minor and local issue into a national issue. Can't imagine this was 4D chess.

You know, I can imagine it literally be the fault of the graphologist who decided to gently caress over opposition candidates out of their own bias, and onward it was simply the bureaucratic machine spinning its wheels. Opposition candidates participated in Moscow duma elections in 2014, and couldn't get a single seat both due to general electoral fuckery (problems with running ads, changes to laws close to elections that targeted younger voters, etc.) unleashed by local government, but also due to Sobyanin's relative popularity and his unwavering support of United Russia. I don't think much has changed since then that would explain switching from the aforementioned general fuckery to outright not allowing opposition candidates to participate. Plus, you would think recent protests in support of Ivan Golunov and against construction of a cathedral in Yekaterinburg's were enough of a sign for Kremlin to thread more carefully with controversial anti-dissent measures.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Paladinus posted:

On the other hand, Polish ultra-nationalism is distinctly anti-Russian
Russia still benefits from that, it's free propaganda portraying them as an all-powerful danger while also building distrust towards NATO. You bet your rear end they're funding it

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ruffian Price posted:

Russia still benefits from that, it's free propaganda portraying them as an all-powerful danger while also building distrust towards NATO. You bet your rear end they're funding it

I didn't see anything to prove that, but wouldn't be too surprising, sure.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Paladinus posted:

You know, I can imagine it literally be the fault of the graphologist who decided to gently caress over opposition candidates out of their own bias, and onward it was simply the bureaucratic machine spinning its wheels. Opposition candidates participated in Moscow duma elections in 2014, and couldn't get a single seat both due to general electoral fuckery (problems with running ads, changes to laws close to elections that targeted younger voters, etc.) unleashed by local government, but also due to Sobyanin's relative popularity and his unwavering support of United Russia. I don't think much has changed since then that would explain switching from the aforementioned general fuckery to outright not allowing opposition candidates to participate. Plus, you would think recent protests in support of Ivan Golunov and against construction of a cathedral in Yekaterinburg's were enough of a sign for Kremlin to thread more carefully with controversial anti-dissent measures.

Yeah, its not like they don't already have some excellent machinery in place for making sure that various opposition candidates can't win. Its a hell of a lot more advantageous to get opposition leaders on the ballot and have them "naturally" lose each time than just banning them outright.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What is this poo poo in my news feed
http://johnhelmer.net/mh-17-evidenc...tness-testimon/

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

MH17 Truther Max Van Der Werff put together an MH17 film for the 5th anniversary the other MH17 Truthers are jizzing over at the moment. As with everything else they've said over the last 5 years it's a mix of half truths, conspiracy theories, and bullshit. They did manage to get the Malaysian PM to share more of his bullshit about MH17, so now they think they're serious people, not just enablers for the deranged.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/olacicho/status/1155058828335091714

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
We must clear Tverskoy Bulvar of babas, it is essential for safety https://twitter.com/Kirilenko_a/status/1155055277185654784

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

They did detain like 50 people even before the start of the event. Fun Saturday in Moscow.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

florida lan posted:

We must clear Tverskoy Bulvar of babas, it is essential for safety https://twitter.com/Kirilenko_a/status/1155055277185654784

This is pathetic. Hassling random aged citizens doesn't exactly speak to being in control or on top of poo poo.

E: How to deal with Russian cops if you're arrested: https://team29.org/knowhow/talk/

Pembroke Fuse fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 27, 2019

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It appears the GRU may be having another round of trying to phish emails, this time in a more sophisticated and target way than their earlier 2015 and 2017 phishing campaigns that targeted several thousand attacks, and led to the Podesta email leaks. This targeting included Bellingcat members and The Insider Russia journalists who worked on IDing GRU officers linked to the Skripal poisonings:

quote:

Bellingcat journalists targeted by failed phishing attempt

Investigative news site Bellingcat has confirmed several of its staff were targeted by an attempted phishing attack on their ProtonMail accounts, which the journalists and the email provider say failed.

“Yet again, Bellingcat finds itself targeted by cyber attacks, almost certainly linked to our work on Russia,” wrote Eliot Higgins, founder of the investigative news site in a tweet. “I guess one way to measure our impact is how frequently agents of the Russian Federation try to attack it, be it their hackers, trolls, or media.”

News emerged that a small number of ProtonMail email accounts were targeted this week — several of which belonged to Bellingcat’s researchers who work on projects related to activities by the Russian government. A phishing email purportedly from ProtonMail itself asked users to change their email account passwords or generate new encryption keys through a similarly-named domain set up by the attackers. Records show the fake site was registered anonymously, according to an analysis by security researchers.

In a statement, ProtonMail said the phishing attacks “did not succeed” and denied that its systems or user accounts had been hacked or compromised.

“The most practical way to obtain email data from a ProtonMail user’s inbox is by compromising the user, as opposed to trying to compromise the service itself,” said ProtonMail’s chief executive Andy Yen. “For this reason, the attackers opted for a phishing campaign that targeted the journalists directly.”

Yen said the attackers tried to exploit an unpatched flaw in third-party software used by ProtonMail, which has yet to be fixed or disclosed by the software maker.

“This vulnerability, however, is not widely known and indicates a higher level of sophistication on the part of the attackers,” said Yen.

It’s not known conclusively who was behind the attack. However, both Bellingcat and ProtonMail said they believe certain tactics and indicators of the attack may point to hackers associated with the Russian government. For instance, the attack’s targets were Bellingcat’s researchers working on the ongoing investigation into the downing of flight MH17 by Russian forces and the use of a nerve agent in a targeted killing in the U.K.

Higgins said in a tweet that this week’s attempted attack likely targeted “in the tens” of people unlike earlier attacks attributed to the Russian government-backed hacker group, known as APT 28 or Fancy Bear.

Bellingcat in the past year has gained critical acclaim for its investigations into the Russian government, uncovering the names of the alleged Russian operatives behind the suspected missile attack that blew up Malaysian airliner MH17 in 2014. The research team also discovered the names of the Russian operatives who were since accused of poisoning former Russian intelligence agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in a nerve agent attack in Salisbury, U.K. in 2018.

The researchers use open-source intelligence and information gathering where police, law enforcement and intelligence agencies often fail.

It’s not the first time that hackers have targeted Bellingcat. Its researchers were targeted several times in 2016 and 2017 following the breach on the Democratic National Committee which saw thousands of internal emails stolen and published online.

A phone call to the Russian consulate in New York requesting comment was not returned.

Threat Connect put out a technical analysis of the campaign, and ProtonMail put out a statement. What we've discovered since is at least 12 individuals were targeted by the same campaign, all of which are working on topics relating to Russia, and 3 of which were directly involved with our research on IDing and tracking the third GRU officer linked to the Skripal poisoning, one of whom hadn't previously worked on those sorts of topics.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

520 arrests so far in Moscow.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1155170538089828352

TV Rain suffers DDOS attack.

https://twitter.com/tvrain/status/1155170294971150336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/28/lgbt-gay-rights-poland-first-pride-march-bialystok-rage-violence

lolin at a military march for kids

:smith: