Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

Everyone gets one chance at investment. It's not specifically clear but (at least in 2030) it specifies you can't invest twice e.g. you hold the investment card and a swiss bank.

But there's no point in going more than once? If you can afford to invest you're probably buying the highest investment available that you can afford. You can't exchange for a lower investment (again, only based on 2030) so why would it matter if you had a second chance to invest?

Say Player A owns Italy. Player A and B don't invest, C upgrades a bond, but now B can't invest but has enough money to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Say Player A owns Italy. Player A and B don't invest, C upgrades a bond, but now B can't invest but has enough money to do so.

B could've invested on their turn. They didn't so they don't get a second shot at doing so.

To use 1817 as an example, when a president merges a company they get the first chance to buy a new share. If they pass they don't get another chance.

e: If your example is implying that B can't afford the current bond but C's upgrade creates an opportunity for B then they're out of luck.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
If I were to buy just one roll-and-write game, what do goons suggest? Ganz Schon Clever is well regarded, but so are many others like Railroad Ink and Welcome To. On Tour has sort of a Karuba vibe, which is sort of neat.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

If I were to buy just one roll-and-write game, what do goons suggest? Ganz Schon Clever is well regarded, but so are many others like Railroad Ink and Welcome To. On Tour has sort of a Karuba vibe, which is sort of neat.

I like all those games but Ganz Schon really is the best of the bunch.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

So it looks like I have to learn and teach Root (Base Game) for my group.

Any pointers, good videos and maybe a difficulty ranking for the factions?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Selecta84 posted:

I’m introducing it to friends this weekend too. My suggestion (easiest to hardest):

1. Marquise
2. Woodland
3. Eyrie
4. Vagabond

The Eyrie is probably simpler than the woodland alliance in terms of its mechanic, but it’s strategically more complex and very tricky for a first time player not to constantly fall into turmoil. Would be reasonable for someone to disagree and swap those, I think.

The game comes with a suggestion for 3 opening moves for each faction: follow those and that’ll help each player go through the motions of a turn.

Also make sure you understand crafting before you try to teach others because I find it’s a little difficult for some people to grok. Same goes with the definition of ruling a clearing.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 16, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

al-azad posted:

I like all those games but Ganz Schon really is the best of the bunch.

Ganz Schon gets boring after you figure it out and becomes a repetitive puzzle. Welcome to isn’t as good a puzzle but is less static. RRI always remains a fun spatial puzzle because the numbers aren’t visible and you’re less directly playing the odds of putting the right numbers in order. It feels more creative and the blank slate is more engaging IMO.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Jewmanji posted:

I’m introducing it to friends this weekend too. My suggestion (easiest to hardest):

1. Marquise
2. Woodland
3. Eyrie
4. Vagabond

The Eyrie is probably simpler than the woodland alliance in terms of its mechanic, but it’s strategically more complex and very tricky for a first time player not to constantly fall into turmoil. Would be reasonable for someone to disagree and swap those, I think.

The game comes with a suggestion for 3 opening moves for each faction: follow those and that’ll help each player go through the motions of a turn.

Also make sure you understand crafting before you try to teach others because I find it’s a little difficult for some people to grok. Same goes with the definition of ruling a clearing.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Selecta84 posted:

I am in a similar boat, it's a little while before my stuff shows up but I had a little look around and found a RTFM video that looked pretty useful.

fe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpxV-uNZef4

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Ganz Schon gets boring after you figure it out and becomes a repetitive puzzle. Welcome to isn’t as good a puzzle but is less static. RRI always remains a fun spatial puzzle because the numbers aren’t visible and you’re less directly playing the odds of putting the right numbers in order. It feels more creative and the blank slate is more engaging IMO.

I don’t get that feeling because unlike most roll-n-writes Ganz is an actual competitive game where your decisions on dice to draft can be informed by both your game state and your opponents. RRI is nice and light but there’s nothing there beyond your own board. Welcome To has some light competitive elements but there are too many pieces for how small and light it is.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Saint Malo looked like it'd be a fun roll & write but it unfortunately costs $55 online :|

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Selecta84 posted:

Some things:
-The Woodland Alliance starts with three cards in hand, as well as three in their supporters deck.
-The vagabond can refresh a broken item; it stays broken, but it's now face-up, and when you fix it, it will already be refreshed.
-If the WA is due to get a card from another faction, and that faction has no cards matching the clearing, the WA takes a card off the top of the deck. The ways it's worded sort of implies that the WA takes a random card from the relevant player, which would mean other players can avoid the penalty by having empty hands.

A couple of the factions got slightly updated rules, visible here.

And remember: the vagabond is NOT a warrior. Any rule that refers to warriors (like how the WA gets a card if your warriors walk onto its support) does not apply to the vagabond.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

Tiny Towns. but paradoxically the box is huge.

Welcome to Dine World looks kind of neat and has some fun stuff to keep it from getting too static, but I haven't played.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SoftNum posted:

Tiny Towns. but paradoxically the box is huge.

Tiny Towns isn't a roll-and-write, even in Town Hall mode.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Jedit posted:

It (and a variety of other games) are relative cousins to the roll & write genre though, 100%. It's very possible if someone is enjoying R&Ws they'll find similar things to like about Tiny Towns.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Jedit posted:

It's a draw and place, with zero interaction in Town Hall mode. It's very much roll and write adjacent.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm settling on my opinion of Concordia and that's that I really like the game but don't ever want to play it with more than 3 total very quick players. We played Crete, with venus cards and salt, and I had a blast buying up all the venus cards, consul'ing the card row down, and *not* spreading out to every province and instead doing double houses in 5 provinces. Great time. Might have taken 80 minutes.

Urbania remains a family go-to but holy crap that visual design is so bad. So busy. So cluttered. So unusable.

Imagine if in Ticket you couldn't tell the difference between three of the colors...and two of the other colors are also easy to mistake. And it's about three times as important to be able to tell. But the decisions are way more interesting.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Thanks for the Root infos.

Gonna watch the Video when I have the game in front of me.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

silvergoose posted:

I'm settling on my opinion of Concordia and that's that I really like the game but don't ever want to play it with more than 3 total very quick players. We played Crete, with venus cards and salt, and I had a blast buying up all the venus cards, consul'ing the card row down, and *not* spreading out to every province and instead doing double houses in 5 provinces. Great time. Might have taken 80 minutes.

Urbania remains a family go-to but holy crap that visual design is so bad. So busy. So cluttered. So unusable.

Imagine if in Ticket you couldn't tell the difference between three of the colors...and two of the other colors are also easy to mistake. And it's about three times as important to be able to tell. But the decisions are way more interesting.

The team mode with 4 is about as quick as three players.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Jewmanji posted:

1. Marquise
2. Woodland
3. Eyrie
4. Vagabond

I've never seen cats even come close to winning in over half a dozen plays. Are they really considered the easiest?

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've never seen cats even come close to winning in over half a dozen plays. Are they really considered the easiest?
Easiest to play doesn't necessarily mean the easiest to win with. Just that their actions are the most straightforward and things like that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The team mode with 4 is about as quick as three players.

How is that mode? The problem for me isn't only the length, it's also the chaos; having played Pax Ren with 4 and then 3 I had the same feeling, the sheer amount of board state that changes between my turns in 5p Concordia was godawful and made me not want to care what was going on.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So Steam just told me that Gloomhaven is "now available in Early Access", but there still doesn't seem to be a way to buy it.

Is it available for other people and I'm getting region-screwed, or was the email wrong in the first place?

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Jabor posted:

So Steam just told me that Gloomhaven is "now available in Early Access", but there still doesn't seem to be a way to buy it.

Is it available for other people and I'm getting region-screwed, or was the email wrong in the first place?

I was able to buy it (southeastern US) but some people in the discord said they couldn't yet so probably just region timing fuckery.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

silvergoose posted:

How is that mode? The problem for me isn't only the length, it's also the chaos; having played Pax Ren with 4 and then 3 I had the same feeling, the sheer amount of board state that changes between my turns in 5p Concordia was godawful and made me not want to care what was going on.

Really good. The board state doesn't even change much as you have every second action.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Talking about Dungeon Petz earlier, gonna finally be able to play it again this weekend, should be good!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tekopo posted:

Talking about Dungeon Petz earlier, gonna finally be able to play it again this weekend, should be good!

Remember that when a pet is discarded from the store, a piece of meat (or veggie, for the plant monster, or coin for the golem) goes into the market/bank. There's no reason for it and it's not very thematic.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Remember that when a pet is discarded from the store, a piece of meat (or veggie, for the plant monster, or coin for the golem) goes into the market/bank. There's no reason for it and it's not very thematic.

It's teks favorite game, he knows.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

KPC_Mammon posted:

The cats got a slight boost in the most recent printing, along with the lizards. The Alliance and Vagabond got slight nerfs.

Krazyface posted:

-The vagabond can refresh a broken item; it stays broken, but it's now face-up, and when you fix it, it will already be refreshed.

And just to clarify: repairing an unrefreshed item will not automatically refresh it. You need to do both actions separately. I believe this was one of the balance updates.

CaptainRightful fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 17, 2019

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Played Splendor for the first time yesterday and you know what? It was genuinely very good. There was hate drafting, a good racing element, and some clever resource management with holding on to the gems for as long as possible to prevent someone else from gathering them. Haters who say this game should be "killed" vacate.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

pospysyl posted:

Played Splendor for the first time yesterday and you know what? It was genuinely very good. There was hate drafting, a good racing element, and some clever resource management with holding on to the gems for as long as possible to prevent someone else from gathering them. Haters who say this game should be "killed" vacate.

It's fine.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I dislike Splendor for the lack of table talk, or at least how quietly it plays. The component design is aces though and I respect people that love it.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Splendor is fine but Century golem road is better.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Triskelli posted:

I dislike Splendor for the lack of table talk, or at least how quietly it plays. The component design is aces though and I respect people that love it.

I always hear this comment from people, but my friends and I, across two different playgroups, are constantly talking trash in Splendor because nothing actually needs to be said for the game and it’s a good way to distract someone so they won’t take the gem you’re eying.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The Estates is still really good, and I finally had a game where everyone got a positive score at the end of the game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

golden bubble posted:

The Estates is still really good, and I finally had a game where everyone got a positive score at the end of the game.

carebear bullshit!

on an opposite note, I went to play with some new friends tonight and Clank is still bad and I left before the second game of the night came out (heroes of land air sea). I did get them to play Skull at least.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

carebear bullshit!

on an opposite note, I went to play with some new friends tonight and Clank is still bad and I left before the second game of the night came out (heroes of land air sea). I did get them to play Skull at least.

Is Heroes of Stuff bad? Doesn't look like my thing, but some of my gaming buddies are excited about it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Played Pax Pamir 2nd Ed last night with four people and really enjoyed it. Took a couple of rounds for people to figure out the mechanics and what works and what doesn't and the fellow that ended it forgot that last scoring was 2x and basically suicided himself.

Reminded me a bit of Inis to be honest... if Inis had you spinning twenty plates in the air and worrying about spies killing your cards and goddamit the suit changed now my actions aren't free and oh christ I'm about to be overthrown and a here comes a domination check I'm screwed

Game is gorgeous too. Production is immaculate.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Triskelli posted:

The component design in the first edition is good, then they cheapened out with these hollow plastic discs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

FulsomFrank posted:

Played Pax Pamir 2nd Ed last night with four people and really enjoyed it. Took a couple of rounds for people to figure out the mechanics and what works and what doesn't and the fellow that ended it forgot that last scoring was 2x and basically suicided himself.

Reminded me a bit of Inis to be honest... if Inis had you spinning twenty plates in the air and worrying about spies killing your cards and goddamit the suit changed now my actions aren't free and oh christ I'm about to be overthrown and a here comes a domination check I'm screwed

Game is gorgeous too. Production is immaculate.

How chaotic did you find it at 5 players, and did black and grey ever get confused.