Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm gonna get real pissy if I can't make matches with my troops in Three Houses. It's one of the features that got me interested in the series beyond "Hey, this is where Marth and Roy came from," and I'm gonna feel betrayed if the love system revolves around the blank slate MC even more than before. I mean, Byleth is more of an actual defined character, but I still don't want them to be the only game in town, you know. Let me make Ignatz hold Hilda's books until she somehow falls head over heels for him.

hopeandjoy posted:

This is me tbh. I know people like to self insert and roleplay, but it always feels really awkward to me. Like, I named Mark after myself in my first FE7 playthrough and felt super awkward every time a character would turn to the screen and address me by name. Every time I S-support someone with Robin I turn away from the screen because characters looking me in the eye and telling me they’re in romantic love with me gives me severe secondhand embarrassment.
My typical procedure in games with customizable protagonists is looking at the setting and story and basing the design off of that. For example, I made Grima's vessel look like the scummiest rear end in a top hat around, which made Chrom's belief in him all the more absurd. I also gave him Skill as a boon, because the Grimleal bred him to be good at everything, and Luck as a bane, because reality itself wanted him dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah the Fateswakening and Geneaology pairing stuff rocked because you could have a bunch of weird pairings between odd couples instead of just the safest and most boring poo poo ever like all the other FE games.

Especially if only Byleth having S supports means we have FE6's 'only Roy has paired endings' crap.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I like blank protagonists in cRPGs where you can chose from various different personalities, not for self inserting options but for the fun of all the possibilities offered. Games like Persona or FE do the kind of "blank" character I really dislike, which is a sort of defined set personality that is just not too remarkable/doesnt talk a lot.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Zore posted:

Yeah the Fateswakening and Geneaology pairing stuff rocked because you could have a bunch of weird pairings between odd couples instead of just the safest and most boring poo poo ever like all the other FE games.

Especially if only Byleth having S supports means we have FE6's 'only Roy has paired endings' crap.
I'd say the other games have their moments, though that might just be the nostalgia filter talking. I still remember Kent and Fiora agreeing to a private conversation about limiting the public displays of affection in camp, only for the next conversation to show them struggling to speak to each other like two uptight co-workers who had a spontaneous one night stand.

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 16, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

The GBA games have tons of interesting relationships, though. If anything Fatesawakening was was more boring to me because all the 'odd ball' pairings resulted in 'we sure do exist in the same space.' 'yep.' x4.You got the occasional winner, like Arthur/Azura or Kellam/Tharja, but you got some oddball winners in the GBA games, too, like Legualt/Heath or Isadora/Geitz.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

after awakening i'd be perfectly fine if i never read a support revolving around food ever again

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
hosed up that you don't want to read or hear the ambiances of annette

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I mean when it comes to the GBA games, I remember shipping Marisa and Tethys hard in Sacred Stones. I think they were meant to love the same guy, but that's not how young me took it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Awakening especially has several cool or interesting relationships but you have no idea which ones they are because you've got so much choice. And by volume I think most are kinda plain with S Ranks being super awkward.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

after awakening i'd be perfectly fine if i never read a support revolving around food ever again

let me tell you

about pie

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i found it amusing how FE6 had a handful of A supports that end very suddenly on a romantic note but ultimately nothing comes out of it for paired endings, since the dudes involved are not named "roy"

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Awakening especially has several cool or interesting relationships but you have no idea which ones they are because you've got so much choice. And by volume I think most are kinda plain with S Ranks being super awkward.

Yeah, the supports and especially the S supports were hampered by the fact that every support has to be both platonic, in case the characters are already married to other people or the player doesn’t choose to pair them, and romantic.

Which means in practice they’re platonic supports with a sudden proposal at the end.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i found it amusing how FE6 had a handful of A supports that end very suddenly on a romantic note but ultimately nothing comes out of it for paired endings, since the dudes involved are not named "roy"

Liliana's A support with someone not roy is about how she'll finally muster enough courage to confess to him.

With limited supports, it means she literally cannot get a romance ending with Roy if you get that convo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf the unpaired ending still kinda implies roy/lilina

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Actually, the dragon girl that lives in Byleth's head is the one calling the shots, so all the female ships are technically gay

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
she likes to watch

Brother Entropy posted:

typical black eagle, the only one without a major foodie in it

scum

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

Isadora/Geitz.

How could you do that to Harken?! :saddowns:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Annath posted:

How could you do that to Harken?! :saddowns:

Easily.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

Personally I'd prefer if there was no self-insert protagonist at all, but. Like obviously a game needs a main character and I don't mind the option to pick their gender/rename them but you can just, make them a normal character in the plot, not an extension of the player.

Oh, absolutely. I'm not happy with the switch to a "silent protagonist." Though my guess is that they're going to go the more "protagonist-centric" route since it's proven successful in others games (like P3/4/5 or the Trails of Cold Steel games*).

* this was absolutely awful and I really hate that they did what they did with giving the protagonist a giant harem, and that it was so successful that they'll probably keep doing it in future games

Zore posted:

Yeah, I liked this. It was interesting to see how the support links would have the different characters hook up.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I'm super grumpy about the silent protagonist bit, personally. It always felt like the weakest aspect of Persona, for an easy comparison, and it makes the game fawn over the player even harder when it's also filling in their dialogue and poo poo for them. Bleh :argh:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

theshim posted:

I'm super grumpy about the silent protagonist bit, personally. It always felt like the weakest aspect of Persona, for an easy comparison, and it makes the game fawn over the player even harder when it's also filling in their dialogue and poo poo for them. Bleh :argh:

Same. Silent protagonists suck, especially in JRPGs that don't go through all the effort that western ones do to make you feel like the character is something you design.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The protagonist is always the worst part of Personas and similar games, though they end up pretty good in spite of that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just don’t know what a player avatar adds to FE. Let alone a silent one.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I hate to say shipping yet again.

But shipping.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Robin was incredibly popular

The silent bylett might be a counter thing to literally everyone else being voiced or something.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Tae posted:

The silent bylett might be a counter thing to literally everyone else being voiced or something.

The cost of paying two voice actors to do one third of the dialogue in the whole game twice over probably factored in to their artistic decisions, yes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kris, Robin and Corrin were all basically just customizable characters. They let you build your own bespoke unit with its own strengths, weaknesses and classes and let you give them a slightly different look. All of that was fun and good, especially since they were all still characters just like the rest of the cast in terms of writing and story.

Byleth seems to be leaning in harder to the 'self insert' side by having you select dialogue and making them silent... but its also throwing out all the actual customization you could do which seems insanely backwards

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The customize aspect probably stopped being a thing for future games since Heroes, Warriors, and Smash exist to canonize the appearance.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

The customize aspect probably stopped being a thing for future games since Heroes, Warriors, and Smash exist to canonize the appearance.

Even the mechanical customization is gone though which is super weird. Byleth having set bases, growths and proficiencies is really dumb if they were trying to make them a self insert.

Why take that away? They can still be whatever class, they just suck at a lot of stuff now and feel less unique.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They also made two separate anime scenes for each gender, which is a hell lot more work than just drag+replacing the game models to do the same action in a cutscene.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zore posted:

Even the mechanical customization is gone though which is super weird. Byleth having set bases, growths and proficiencies is really dumb if they were trying to make them a self insert.

Why take that away? They can still be whatever class, they just suck at a lot of stuff now and feel less unique.

probably so they can have actual cutscenes that byleth takes part in instead of everything being first person
(this is also the stated reason the twins in fire emblem warrior aren't customizable )

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Kris, Robin and Corrin were all basically just customizable characters. They let you build your own bespoke unit with its own strengths, weaknesses and classes and let you give them a slightly different look. All of that was fun and good, especially since they were all still characters just like the rest of the cast in terms of writing and story.

Byleth seems to be leaning in harder to the 'self insert' side by having you select dialogue and making them silent... but its also throwing out all the actual customization you could do which seems insanely backwards

I guess that stuff just wasn't super interesting for me. All those games already had fairly customisable characters with class swapping and all that. If Robin had a set design and growths and all that I don't think i'd like them any less.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

probably so they can have actual cutscenes that byleth takes part in instead of everything being first person
(this is also the stated reason the twins in fire emblem warrior aren't customizable )

I'm talking about being able to pick stuff like Boon and Bane or favored classes. Byleth would still be Byleth if they had a better magic growth but worse strength growth, you'd just be able to make them a good mage in game instead of a lovely one.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I guess that stuff just wasn't super interesting for me. All those games already had fairly customisable characters with class swapping and all that. If Robin had a set design and growths and all that I don't think i'd like them any less.

I don't think its like super important, but I found it fun to have a character you had that could be radically different than the one your friend chose to have or that you could do something wildly different with run to run.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It means that when I do my Black Eagle run I can't go FULL MAGE, which is the most important part of any FE game.

It also makes it harder to recruit Black Eagle students into other houses. :(

(Hi, yes, I'm the person who always makes sure to bring Soren and Pelleas to the tower in RD so I can field four (4) mages in the game that nerfs the poo poo out of them.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

they're probably good at everything, going by the stats we've seen them with in mos gameplay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*Byleth with 20s in everything at level 12* ugh, they suck at everything

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
This is going to be decision paralysis: the game, and I am here for it

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

if there was anything i was worried about with the school phase it was how long i was gonna be playing it for and how long i was gonna get saddled with decision paralysis for during said phase

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I think we've seen Byleth's full class chart and there was nothing unique in it, but I'm still hoping that all four main characters have unique final classes gated by the time skip. It would be a real shame if Male Byleth had only one master class that specialized in swords. Also, for Claude, I had better get that wyvern archer class described in the leak, dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Claude does have that affinity for learning flying, though, so I guess the game leans into what the Thanibomb leak said!