Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bumble He posted:

goddamit i am curious how this whole thing ends.

a) supernova scale disaster
b) stellar sucess (lol)
c) the whole projects gets sucked into a blackhole and gone it is
d) it won't and i'll hang out here forever (whelp)

By all logic it should have ended like 4, at least 3 years ago. We're already in scenario D.

At some point the number of internet rubes with spare cash to throw at Roberts feat will lose critical mass, game development will slow even more, people will stop even pretending to play and that'll be the end of income and the company will fold.

But its going to take awhile still. Roberts truly has reached Madoff levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Gosts posted:

I think it will go out with a bang but i also think citizens will claim victory or quietly vanish. Or at most, they'll say 'drat you, goons, you killed star citizen! You did this! Yooooooou!!'

I'm already preparing to laugh at the "it was worth it for the ride" posts.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Strangler 42 posted:

People have already posted "its okay if I die because my children will get to live in star citizen" posts, and I believe they're genuine.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Strangler 42 posted:

We have the bears, cats, occasional rage outs, nazis, The many aliases of a man of many aliases, and some of the finest examples of that whole 'gamer' thing presented in a free-flowing format that doesn't make a lot of sense. It was _so_ the journey.

Oh, you mean the backers? Nah, they're gonna proper rage having spend a grand on giving Chris Roberts' missus a shot at stardom. It'll make PGabz look like a slightly chill northerner in comparison.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

By all logic it should have ended like 4, at least 3 years ago. We're already in scenario D.

At some point the number of internet rubes with spare cash to throw at Roberts feat will lose critical mass, game development will slow even more, people will stop even pretending to play and that'll be the end of income and the company will fold.

But its going to take awhile still. Roberts truly has reached Madoff levels.

Yeah, I mean Shroud of the Avatar is still sorta going... somehow, so I can't picture the SC will die any more gracefully.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The text in Strangler 42's new AV is just perfect. Bravo, whoever did that (it wasn't me) :D

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

sadly this person probably thinks this post is poignant and hilarious.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bofast posted:

The text in Strangler 42's new AV is just perfect. Bravo, whoever did that (it wasn't me) :D

Goes to show just how slick her husband must be.

(Insert smug Chris Roberts jpeg here)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

He will never choke.

(Insert smug erotic Chris bear here)

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 17, 2019

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1151273965882445824

Just a reminder that it's 2019 and the reclaimers gamelay mechanics have still not been thought about despite the ship being ingame.

Amazing Zimmo fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 17, 2019

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Jonny Shiloh posted:

They don't play Store Citizer - they project their fantasies, dreams and insecurities onto it.

God forbid it ever releases - 6,000 die hard space nerds will immediately self combust.

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Just a reminder that it's 2019 and the reclaimers gamelay mechanics have still not been thought about despite the ship being ingame.

In the eyes of shitizens, the only time CIG can do something wrong is when they actually try to design game mechanics. Witness the uproar over the golf swing sensor system, or the drink mixing minigame, which are both actually achievable with CIG's level of competence.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Ben Lesnick, director of spaceships.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012
So much so even he doesn't know when a 2 seater ship turns into a single seater

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

ComfyPants posted:

Ben Lesnick, director of spaceships.

:lesnick:

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Squadron 42 fails to release on time, or releases as a disaster. Either way it doesn't sell any copies.
Chris announces they're scaling back operations but don't worry the game is definitely still coming out! This is code for "We're laying off all but the last dozen people and it's never coming out" without actually admitting this.
The fan base quietly evaporates. If any of them can be pinned down at all, they claim victory- Star Citizen did what it set out to do, it revolutionized PC gaming!
About two years after "Scaling back," the servers and store finally shut off entirely. Nobody cares.

I will toxx on all of this

This is the correct answer.

Everyone will say they only spent $45 for the starter pack anyway because they already know what a complete tool it makes them look to have spent thousands on digital spaceships in Star Citizen.

You already see it with some of the reddit white knights - Me? Well I was gifted 100 ships and someone just gave me $1000 for being part of Star Citizen. That's how little I've sunk into this project. See, you can''t accuse me of sunk costs, but you should definitely buy an Idris.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
I spent thirty five dollars of this game.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Gosts posted:

I think it will go out with a bang but i also think citizens will claim victory or quietly vanish. Or at most, they'll say 'drat you, goons, you killed star citizen! You did this! Yooooooou!!'

Yes, I am a Goon. I killed Star Citizen. AMA. :smug:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Amethyst posted:

I spent thirty five dollars of this game.

That is hosed up

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Solarin posted:

I'm dying

My day was made by the comment saying how normal it was by linking to an article about the longest dev times in history that exists solely to call attention to how abnormal it is.

stingtwo posted:

This is standard for Ben Lesnick.

roflingstones
May 19, 2009
All I needed to see was the helmet flip video back in the day to not get involved in this project in any positive way.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Wasn’t there supposed to be hot legal action sometime in July whereby the honorable Judge was to rule on the bond thing?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MedicineHut posted:

Wasn’t there supposed to be hot legal action sometime in July whereby the honorable Judge was to rule on the bond thing?

It's under submission so we'll hear about it in Two Weeks

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1151273965882445824

This explains a lot

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 17, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

stingtwo posted:

I think chair gate is one of my top 3 favorites out of hundreds in this tire fire.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MedicineHut posted:

hot legal action

Nekketsu Legal Akushon

that would make a great Technos game :smug:

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

roflingstones posted:

All I needed to see was the helmet flip video back in the day to not get involved in this project in any positive way.

I'm curious, what was the big red flag in that video as far as you were concerned? The cringe? The canned entry animations? The clear disparity between the trailer and the game state?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Pilz posted:

I'm curious, what was the big red flag in that video as far as you were concerned? The cringe? The canned entry animations? The clear disparity between the trailer and the game state?

the fact that they whooped over a lovely animation.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

stingtwo posted:

To be fair he's a big unit, id say it's normal for him to need two seats when flying. Hence his confusion.

roflingstones
May 19, 2009

Pilz posted:

I think it was the audience/backers reaction. The fact that you get so hyped over something so mundane is just mind boggling. Think of that audience being your publisher and you can get away with anything.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
It boggles my mind that a game with instanced fights between people controlling some big ships, some in small ships and the rest shooting lasers while boarding the big ships would be feasible and probably fun.

But no, you need real life, but in space, and now you're the captain, and other guys are just scrubs doing menial tasks in your deluxe ship, and NPCs with state of the art AI, everything persistent, etc. :psyduck:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Bumble He posted:

goddamit i am curious how this whole thing ends.

a) supernova scale disaster
b) stellar sucess (lol)
c) the whole projects gets sucked into a blackhole and gone it is
d) it won't and i'll hang out here forever (whelp)

e) They release a game. It is janky, and buggy. It is not fun or entertaining. It has 12% of the features CIG promised. It will be quickly forgotten, as most of the fan base will drift away to the next big thing leaving behind the most culty, die-hard fans (the ones that get reposted here). They will claim it is the best something something space sim something and will look at the game with a Lesnick-ian level of adoration; collecting old SC merch and making YouTube let's plays years after the rest of the world had bulldozed the game into the ditch.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen: For game dad's, by game dad's

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ZZZorcerer posted:

It boggles my mind that a game with instanced fights between people controlling some big ships, some in small ships and the rest shooting lasers while boarding the big ships would be feasible and probably fun.

I would actually say that an instanced setup like that is the ONLY way it would be fun. With the caveat that I haven't played Eve so I don't know how well that game does it, what I remember most from all my time playing Planetside 1 or 2 is the 95% of the time where I was just standing around waiting for something to happen, travelling, or engaged in combat that was so clearly one-sided that it wasn't fun for either party. The other 5% of the time when the stars aligned and you had a balanced, fun battle, the adrenaline rush came mostly from how rare it was, but the actual mechanics and gameplay weren't any better than what the Battlefield games already did every day.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

years after the rest of the world had bulldozed the game into the ditch space

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/UbHrBx8.mp4

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017

Hav posted:

We have the bears, cats, occasional rage outs, nazis, The many aliases of a man of many aliases, and some of the finest examples of that whole 'gamer' thing presented in a free-flowing format that doesn't make a lot of sense. It was _so_ the journey.

And we have Toast

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Bofast posted:

Now I get to see Sandi's charming visage every time I post instead of the stupid baby I've had for the past 12 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Strangler 42 posted:

Now I get to see Sandi's charming visage every time I post instead of the stupid baby I've had for the past 12 years.

lol that text :five: