Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I've never played either XCOM so i think I'm well more than qualified to make the post I made :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

When are we getting Freespace 2 with gyro controls, Volition??

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I bought Mario and Rabbids because I was told it's Mario XCOM. The combat mechanics are very similar and that's where it ends. Each mission is a puzzle disguised behind XCOM-like combat. Instead of reacting to changes in the battle you typically restart because you get skill points by clearing missions in a certain number of turns. For me me it turned into a trial and error restart the battle experience because I wanted the skill points.

It was fun for awhile but when combined with the terrible over world puzzles it became unenjoyable and I sold it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I bought the DQB2 DLC and yea, seems like all of the DLC is already unlocked. Looking forward to trying out the fishing island. I'll give some impressions with it when after I give it a chance.

People poo poo on day 1 DLC and sometimes I also don't care for it but in this case I'm all for it. The best way for me to never buy DLC is to piece meal it out over several months. I just don't really care for coming back to games months later.

edit: Also Mario+Rabbids is excellent, especially for $20 or whatever.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mario + Rabbids is the best game on the system even if the DLC's final bonus level takes roughly 5 real earth minutes to get to a point where you need to rely on 4 70% chance effects all proccing on the same turn or else you fail instantly.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/OtherEhm/status/1151282352414318592

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mario + Rabbids: A Darksoulsian take on Xcomvanias.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tender Bender posted:

In the context of actually answering the question Len asked it's absolutely correct to say Mario Rabbids is not like XCOM. The geoscape/procedural campaign with gear and permadeath is a huge part of XCOM. I like Mario Rabbids. It has limited pre-made characters and a campaign with pre-made, carefully constructed levels.

This sounds like the best answer. I was looking for the entire XCOM package not just has turn based combat.

It's on sale for :20bux: enough it's only a matter of time before somewhere has it for :10bux: maybe I'll grab it then

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I beat Umihara Kawase Fresh. I don't really get the ending. It came out of nowhere. Also I'm not sure if Curly is even in the game despite what the cover says. Cotton unlocked about mid game and I was kinda expecting to find Curly at the point the game suddenly ended.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I beat my first playthrough of Robot Named Fight. For $2 it's a fun little Metroid.

I thought my run was going to tank because I picked up a thing that turned my scrap into health. But I hate myself so I ground up 99 scrap before and after each boss. By the time I got to the final boss I only had the base gun with fire, electric, explosive, damage aura, charge, split shot, and twice the size. As long as I didn't stop shooting it never touched me it was ridiculous

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

random thought but I’d kill for a port of the Scott Pilgrim game. Would be perfect on the Switch

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

random thought but I’d kill for a port of the Scott Pilgrim game. Would be perfect on the Switch

Unfortunately that’s probably never gonna happen, it even got delisted from XBLA/PSN because of licensing issues

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

River City Girls has the same feel as the Scott Pilgrim game imo, might fit the bill for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40MRASC-Ndw

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh I know, just a pipe dream

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I always wondered how Marble It Up! was for this very reason.

gently caress it, I just bought it. Will try to remember to report back.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Len posted:

I did. It looks XCOM only in that it's turn based, has cover, and you shoot people.

If it doesn't have the geoscape which is literally half of XCOM it isn't XCOM. Then again I remember buying Ghost Recon for the 3DS because of all the goons saying "it's just XCOM with Tom Clancy on it" and I did not like it. I wanted to find out if there was something I was missing by just skipping through the ridiculously long monetized videos on YouTube but it doesn't sound like I am

The first mission in XCOM2 starts with the resistance movement starting "Operation Gatecrasher" to blow up a giant statue of an alien that symbolizes the alien government's oppression.
The first mission in Mario + Rabbids starts with the Rabbids opening up a portal and disrupting a ceremony where Princess Peach is unveiling a giant statue of herself

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ColdPie posted:

gently caress it, I just bought it. Will try to remember to report back.

Good luck, I'd be curious to know what you think.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The first mission in XCOM2 starts with the resistance movement starting "Operation Gatecrasher" to blow up a giant statue of an alien that symbolizes the alien government's oppression.
The first mission in Mario + Rabbids starts with the Rabbids opening up a portal and disrupting a ceremony where Princess Peach is unveiling a giant statue of herself

Okay? That doesn't change the fact that I'm looking for a geoscape and random maps and XCOM but it sounds gameplay wise the comparison ends at turn based combat and guns.

It might be a lot of fun but if it only has handcrafted maps, set units, linear upgrades, turn based action that's what Ghost Recon 3ds was and I did not enjoy it despite the praise it got for being "XCOM on the 3ds" (it was also a launch title so there's slack it was cut at the time).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

At least they're being truthful with their scumminess.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol is all you can say.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol is all you can say.

Seems.... accurate? But of course Nintendo fans gotta be Nintendo fans I guess.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

this site has a paywall what the gently caress lowtax

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah paywall isn't some weird stealth term, subscription sites talk about stuff being behind a paywall all the time.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

"buy a forum account" video but now its mario getting crushed by a window.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

My house has paywalls because I have to pay for the walls.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Silver Snail posted:

My house has paywalls because I have to pay for the walls.
At least the realtor was being truthful with his scumminess.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol I finished the first island in DQB2 and yahhh it deffo slows down a bit (above and beyond) when there's tons of transparency effects and whatevs

but :shrug: I'm playing it on system I can hold in hands so I'll deal with it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Haha we got Nintendo now. They started charging for online ON PURPOSE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Len posted:

Okay? That doesn't change the fact that I'm looking for a geoscape and random maps and XCOM but it sounds gameplay wise the comparison ends at turn based combat and guns.

It might be a lot of fun but if it only has handcrafted maps, set units, linear upgrades, turn based action that's what Ghost Recon 3ds was and I did not enjoy it despite the praise it got for being "XCOM on the 3ds" (it was also a launch title so there's slack it was cut at the time).

It was a joke about the political ideology of the Mushroom Kingdom

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I wish the coward Mario was as brave as Captain Toad

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

what the gently caress ever happened with that SNES game datamine

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DLC Inc posted:

what the gently caress ever happened with that SNES game datamine
They've been ready for 6 months but they're waiting to announce them right before the one year anniversary so they can get more people to resubscribe for another year.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

They've been ready for 6 months but they're waiting to announce them right before the one year anniversary so they can get more people to resubscribe for another year.

This seems likely so we’ll probably see something in September.

I hope they offer SNES controllers like they did with NES. Having official Bluetooth SNES controllers would own a lot.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The SNES titles were removed from listings after people found them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The White Dragon posted:

just remind yourself that bowser has eight other kids that he has disregarded and refuses to pay child support for

They're not kids, they're koopa actors. That's why they look like koopa troopas with wigs and glasses.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

They're not kids, they're koopa actors. That's why they look like koopa troopas with wigs and glasses.

They don’t look like koopa troopas at all, they don’t even have beaks. I suggest seeing an optometrist.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I wish the coward Mario was as brave as Captain Toad

I would watch the heck out of The Assassination of Captain Toad by the Coward Mario Mario.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

My etika shirt came in

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Skeezy posted:

River City Girls has the same feel as the Scott Pilgrim game imo, might fit the bill for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40MRASC-Ndw

I want to have hope for River City Girls, but Double Dragon Neon was the most awesome game you best experienced entirely through MP3 tracks and a Youtube playthrough because the act of actually playing the game was legendarily terrible.

WayForward is such a goddamn hit-and-miss company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DQB2's performance doesn't bother me because unlike Bloodstained it actually is showing enough stuff on the screen to justify it. Bloodstained is an absolute mystery as to why it runs so poorly and looks so terrible though.