Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So the webtoon True Beauty continues to be fun and has a far more accurate portrayal of real life teenagers than most romance dramas set in high school usually do. I really like the cast, and how most of the characters are generally decent people with reasons for acting the way they do. The make-up stuff is also interesting.

I'm rooting for the Second Guy, even though he has no chance. I like how both the love interest guys are still awkward teens who spaz out at home, even if they obviously have to look like idols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Re: Kubera. I'm still slightly disappointed in the reveal behind Asha's motivations. The little cryptic things she said and did that alluded to it suggested at something more... subtle? Intriguing?

Getting owned by a car was still good tho

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wind Breaker continues to be good and funny and more people should read it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the title is still funny

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the title is still funny

I know! It is goofy but don't let it stop you from giving it a try. It's been a consistently enjoyable thing. All the arcs are fairly short so even the less fun ones give way to something else quick enough. The character development for everyone has been good also, I've enjoyed where it's gone so far.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Welp, just finished Noblesse. That ending was...weird. Didn't like it, tbh. But oh well, I can see how the author and artist got tired of it after so long, it happens.

Just a reminder DICE is still fantastic and the best take I've yet seen on the whole "life as a video game" thing in webcomics! And I Don't Want This Kind of Hero, while it's translation still sucks, is also really great!! Go read it!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I only read tower of god/unordinary/the gamer/god of high school on webtoons these days. What else is worth reading on the action side of things?

I'll give DICE a go

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

Just a reminder DICE is still fantastic and the best take I've yet seen on the whole "life as a video game" thing in webcomics! And I Don't Want This Kind of Hero, while it's translation still sucks, is also really great!! Go read it!

It's been a while since I've read DICE (though not super long, so I've still read most of whatever is out) and I like how, at least up until the point I reached, the story continued to have the protagonist stick to his belief that the DICE themselves weren't fundamentally evil, and that there's no reason why life shouldn't be more fair if it's possible to make it so. Like, he'll acknowledge that the current situation and the game master are really bad, but he still believes that being able to improve unchangeable aspects of yourself that make your life worse is a good thing, and won't be convinced otherwise even when his crush is the one trying to do so.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of the actual "action/game" elements of DICE. The powers themselves aren't really used in a very cool way (it's funny to me that the goofy time sword is considered a higher level version of freezing time).

edit: DICE is better than The Gamer, though, so the person above should like it if they liked The Gamer.

Mindblast posted:

Re: Kubera. I'm still slightly disappointed in the reveal behind Asha's motivations. The little cryptic things she said and did that alluded to it suggested at something more... subtle? Intriguing?

Getting owned by a car was still good tho

I'm the complete opposite. It would have been the most stereotypical thing ever if it turned out Asha had some righteous reason to martyr herself by doing all this stuff. Having her motivations fundamentally be selfish was pretty great, especially how they sort of brought up a potential "for the greater good" argument (when she was being put on trial) and then shot it down (with "she literally repeatedly practiced her spells on halfs" being the icing on the "Asha is genuinely a bad person" cake). I also like how, even though she has a pretty tragic backstory, her backstory also makes it clear that she's always been a pretty lovely person.

Stories are often really bad about portraying behavior that is downright abusive as just someone just being "prickly" or "aloof" or whatever, so tying Asha's various inappropriate behavior towards Kubera into her actually being a bad person made a lot more sense than trying to tie it into some plot where she's a heroic self-sacrificing martyr for a greater cause.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 29, 2019

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I don't know if you know this, but just in case, the DICE translation on webtoons is severely behind, the last time I read it I think it was behind by like 3-5 months. There's a fan translation, which besides being way better, is also current, or mostly current (they've been having some problems with their translation group). If you search for it on Google, you'll find it easily enough. The translation used to have its own site but due to laziness the domain name registration slipped and somebody else picked it up and are essentially holding it for ransom, so they're now on a generic manga reading site. Again, Google will take you there pretty quickly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

I only read tower of god/unordinary/the gamer/god of high school on webtoons these days. What else is worth reading on the action side of things?

I'll give DICE a go

Hardcore Leveling Warrior is pretty fun, also another plug for Wind Breaker. Also Gosu.

It's not on webtoons but Peerless Dad is great, same dude that did Red Storm.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

That Works posted:

Hardcore Leveling Warrior is pretty fun, also another plug for Wind Breaker. Also Gosu.

It's not on webtoons but Peerless Dad is great, same dude that did Red Storm.

Yeah Hardcore Leveling Warrior is pretty fun.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Gosu is awesome yes, only reason why I'm not reading it is because since webtoons picked it up for official translation it was noticeably worse than the fan translation but because it's because officially translated nobody else is touching it. If that has changed and the translation has improved let me know, I would love to get back into it. (Also the official translation was years behind last I saw).

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'd make recs, but a lot of what I read on Webtoons isn't actually Korean and the others've covered the obvious grounds for Korean ones already.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I'd make recs, but a lot of what I read on Webtoons isn't actually Korean and the others've covered the obvious grounds for Korean ones already.

Might as well share? I also read some non Korean stuff there, most interesting lately being Seed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gologle posted:

Gosu is awesome yes, only reason why I'm not reading it is because since webtoons picked it up for official translation it was noticeably worse than the fan translation but because it's because officially translated nobody else is touching it. If that has changed and the translation has improved let me know, I would love to get back into it. (Also the official translation was years behind last I saw).

last I heard, gosu has been on break for a while because the author is sick

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

last I heard, gosu has been on break for a while because the author is sick

Yup. Still worth picking up if one hasn't though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I don't mind the idea of having this thread also just cover everything on webtoons, since there isn't another good place to talk about that stuff.

Speaking of which, I feel like UnOrdinary is finally maybe leading to the "Seraphina realizes John is full of poo poo" reveal. It's really taken its sweet time with this whole "John being a secret lunatic prick" arc. And holy poo poo that guy is totally a completely unhinged lunatic.

I think my favorite character is probably red laser guy, because I think he's the only one who has started to change his perspective without having some sort of background that directly lead to it (like the girl whose brother was a hero). I don't count Seraphina because, even though she's also pretty good, she was also more or less forced into things by circumstance.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

So the webtoon True Beauty continues to be fun and has a far more accurate portrayal of real life teenagers than most romance dramas set in high school usually do. I really like the cast, and how most of the characters are generally decent people with reasons for acting the way they do. The make-up stuff is also interesting.

I'm rooting for the Second Guy, even though he has no chance. I like how both the love interest guys are still awkward teens who spaz out at home, even if they obviously have to look like idols.

I'm also enjoying the second guy since he's been able to interact more with the MC and I like their chemistry better than her with Suho. But we all know that this love triangle is going to end with the first love interest winning even if he can't take a spooky movie. If you're interested in series dealing with makeup, there's also a webtoon called The man who Cleans up makeup that's really good although its translations haven't updated in a few months.

Gologle posted:

I don't really notice that much different in the official and fan translations outside of how people handle naming moves. But SupremeCream still releases their scripts on their blog if you prefer their translations, they just don't do anything fancy like setting up an overtooning script so you wind up having to read the chapter in parallel windows.

Edit: I went back to their blog and there was an announcement I hadn't caught saying they would be discontinuing their translations even before the hiatus since the officials caught up. So :shrug: on what I was talking about.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 30, 2019

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'm being asked to do so, I might as well share. A lot of what I read is romance and the like, but I do have some more action oriented favs.

Sword Interval is set in a world experiencing a slowly ongoing magical apocalypse with monsters popping up but people're managing to hang on and maintain civilization. Our golden-eyed heroine seeks revenge on the skeletal entity Heirophant that killed her parents.

Room of Swords is basically a mystery where an astronaut, a knight, a warrior, and a cavewoman try to retrieve the pieces of a powerful sword so they can reach the Room of Swords while also trying to figure out what the hell's going on. Starts weird, gets weirder. As a bonus has strong bisexual vibes.

Scoob and Shag starts out as simple crude gags before getting much more interesting. Saying exactly how kinda feels like a spoiler, though.

...I don't read a lot of action packed ones, huh. Looking at my subscription list, my tastes seen to lean more toward f/f romance, drama, and some comedy. Still, I'll swear by those ones I just listed.

EDIT: To make it clear as if it already wasn't, those're English original language ones.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 31, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Love Advice From the Great Duke of Hell is really funny

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that's a good one. also recently tried out matchmaker hero and it seems solid so far

your letter's a nice short story that's already finished

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I liked Live Forever, it was very pretty and is also over already.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Shugojin posted:

I liked Live Forever, it was very pretty and is also over already.

Yeah that was rather good.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Also I'm still reading The Gamer. It's dumb and not very good, but it somehow manages to be dumb in a way that entertains me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Scoob and Shag starts out as simple crude gags before getting much more interesting. Saying exactly how kinda feels like a spoiler, though.
It's like if Tails Gets Trolled was good intentionally

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm the complete opposite.

I didn't even mention any of the themes you mentioned. "Intriguing" does not equal martyrdom or Hidden Heroism or whatever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mindblast posted:

I didn't even mention any of the themes you mentioned. "Intriguing" does not equal martyrdom or Hidden Heroism or whatever.

Yeah, but my point is that the reveal itself was still very surprising given what the reader would normally expect, and it made perfect sense. I'm having trouble imagining an alternative that doesn't require Asha to be acting with some sort of good and/or utilitarian motivation, or in some way where Kubera is an integral key in some (good or evil) plan. The reality of "she kept Kubera close because she could kill her at any time and Kubera's abilities were a useful tool in the meanwhile*" was more unusual than what you'd normally expect from that sort of scenario.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Got a few of recommendations

The Jinx's Lover - A romance webtoon set in the modern times where, as the name implies, a very unlucky guy finds himself entangled with a girl whose very touch can bring good fortune to people. However, there are those out that that abuse this power and horde it ruthlessly.

The monster duchess and the Contract Princess - Victorian setting where a the youngest daughter of a noble family finds herself as the sacrificial lamb for her older sister, but instead of being consumed by the flames she survives and then plots to escape her family at all costs.

Burning Effect - Battle series located in an authoritarian city where any crime is punishable by death and the supervisors that reign over the people ruthlessly pursue all criminals. The strongest of these supervisors is a man known as 'Great' whose sword is said to cleave building in half. Main character is a woman named Burner who one day finally grows tired of pretending to live and strikes back. Probably the closest in feel any other series has gotten to Hellper and the art has a similar style of using black and whites with colors mostly used to highlight characters. It's also anime as hell and some pretty obvious references and nods to other series like My Hero Academia and Trigun.

Fight Class 3 - Jiu Ju-Tae lost his sister years ago when his father took her away. He's spent the resulting years looking for any trace of him and something finally sticks when he meets one of his school's MMA fighters Maria Dacoscos. She also is looking for Jiu's father but with revenge on the mind and helps Jiu enroll in what the school calls the Fight Class, a group of students that all participate in MMA with the goal of going professional as this relates to Jiu's father who is a well regarded fighter and possibly has ties to the school.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brought To You By posted:

Got a few of recommendations

The Jinx's Lover - A romance webtoon set in the modern times where, as the name implies, a very unlucky guy finds himself entangled with a girl whose very touch can bring good fortune to people. However, there are those out that that abuse this power and horde it ruthlessly.

Burning Effect - Battle series located in an authoritarian city where any crime is punishable by death and the supervisors that reign over the people ruthlessly pursue all criminals. The strongest of these supervisors is a man known as 'Great' whose sword is said to cleave building in half. Main character is a woman named Burner who one day finally grows tired of pretending to live and strikes back. Probably the closest in feel any other series has gotten to Hellper and the art has a similar style of using black and whites with colors mostly used to highlight characters. It's also anime as hell and some pretty obvious references and nods to other series like My Hero Academia and Trigun.

I'm surprised the Jinx's Lover is being scanned, considering that it's been on hiatus due to the author's health since August 2018, almost right after Season 3 began. It was one of my Tuesday webtoons, and I loved it a lot. Very cute.

Burning Effect is pretty much my favorite webtoon at the moment, and has been for at least a year. I happened on it on a slow day at work and I've been hooked on it ever since. My only issue is that like 40 chapters in Part 1 were converted to paid chapters (despite me already having paid to unlock them!) so rereading is a pain cause I hate the rental format that Daum uses for paid chapters. But that's on Daum, not the author.

There's also a prequel of sorts to Burning Effect called Domination (available on Comico, though now on Daum too), though I believe the author has stated that it's not really a required reading to get into Burning Effect, and the relevant bits get included in the Burning Effect story waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay later (like past chapter 100).

Burning Effect itself is, I think (but not fully sure), a reboot of City of Black Blood, which was the author's webtoon that ran on Naver Challenge. I've never read it myself, but apparently a lot of things like Great and the setting were imported from it. If you're interested, you can take a gander at the author's blog here, and see how their art style has changed.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'll say this for Hardcore Leveling Warrior, nothing like showing the extent of your character development by presumably running back to smash a gangster with a nail board. I'm proud of you my boy, though I'm sad about Guru.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh hey Jinx's Lover finally made a comeback today, I guess the scanlators were prophets.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well I've finally caught up with dice and it's a bit odd how quickly it turns into them casually murdering each other

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Like a Butterfly got an update and things that had been piling up are crashing down.

Contract Princess however has kept it light hearted despite the repeated attempts on a little girls life.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

lmao at peerless dad getting out his John wick box

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shugojin posted:

lmao at peerless dad getting out his John wick box

and it just has some tonfa in it

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

and it just has some tonfa in it

It has something even more important in it The picture of his wife. But I remember the last time it was raining and Kung fu Dad went on the hunt, those assassin guys picked a really bad target and should hope the Wind Dragon's people get to them first.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Out of curiosity, anyone else reading Burning Effect?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I am and it has very nice art. pretty cool so far

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Out of curiosity, anyone else reading Burning Effect?

YES SINCE 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
BURNING EFFECT IS MY FAVORITE WEBTOON EVER AND HAS BEEN SO FOR AT LEAST A YEAR.

IT'LL TAKE A REALLY GOOD WEBTOON TO EVEN COME CLOSE TO DETHRONING IT.