Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

so does firing people though?

yeah but what if you’ve already done that and the people remaining are critical / cash positive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CLASS 2 PERVERSION posted:

as opposed to walking literally 2 minutes?

oh, NICE

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DELETE CASCADE posted:

so does firing people though?

it may sound shocking to americans but in europe you generally cannot fire people on a whim

i'm sure brexit will take care of that though

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i work in finance and yeah there’d be a revolt if the bonuses didn’t come. we also have this weird thing where our pay review is done in the summer and backdated to the start of the year, so you get a summer “bonus” as well in the form of backpay

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

i work in finance and yeah there’d be a revolt if the bonuses didn’t come. we also have this weird thing where our pay review is done in the summer and backdated to the start of the year, so you get a summer “bonus” as well in the form of backpay

A friend worked somewhere where if they wanted to fire you they would say "you're not getting a bonus this year but if you were to happen to quit we'll pay you x amount severance" where x was roughly what you might have expected your bonus to be.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pointsofdata posted:

A friend worked somewhere where if they wanted to fire you they would say "you're not getting a bonus this year but if you were to happen to quit we'll pay you x amount severance" where x was roughly what you might have expected your bonus to be.

this sounds like an excellent system

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

as opposed to walking literally 2 minutes?

Ok that's fair then.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
you should consider giving more than two weeks notice if you are in a position where not doing so would materially hurt people below you in the company

do not do so if it would only cause problems for people above you

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

you should consider giving more than two weeks notice if you are in a position where not doing so would materially hurt people below you in the company

do not do so if it would only cause problems for people above you

literally that's never the case

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

it is not uncommon for managers to be responsible for ensuring that the people who report to them don’t get hosed on raises/bonuses

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

yeah this. 2x if you work a blue collar job

at another company i saw someone at the director level give only two weeks which seems like a big gently caress you if there wasnt some behind the scenes agreement

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
fighting the urge to quit before new job secured, I’d get paid out eight weeks of leave and if I give eight weeks notice then that’s 16 weeks of runway before I have to touch savings. I’m a bit too risk adverse to do it though I think.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

4 months is a long time

but it's shorter than you think. Get the job first.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Not a Children posted:

4 months is a long time

but it's shorter than you think. Get the job first.

yeah I know, it’s just toys out pram fantasy at the moment. they are merging our business so my work for the next six months is stuff I know will be thrown away but has to be done to maintain our seperate p&l till then.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

alternatively it's still a hot market and gently caress your employer. if you have a burning desire to get out, youll be okay, gently caress them

alternatively alternatively, quit in your brain, just completely and utterly gently caress off your current job and continue 'showing up' until you have a better offer

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

alternatively it's still a hot market and gently caress your employer. if you have a burning desire to get out, youll be okay, gently caress them

alternatively alternatively, quit in your brain, just completely and utterly gently caress off your current job and continue 'showing up' until you have a better offer

at my last job i was working 1-3 hour days (but of course in the office for 8 hours) and that's still draining if you dislike the job. honestly if you have touched computers for a while and have extra savings, you can just choose to not work for a while. gently caress waiting til retirement for that

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

fighting the urge to quit before new job secured, I’d get paid out eight weeks of leave and if I give eight weeks notice then that’s 16 weeks of runway before I have to touch savings. I’m a bit too risk adverse to do it though I think.

i threw my toys out of the pram and quit at the start of may. the last few months i was there was one of the most miserable times in my life and i have never looked back at all and my life now is the opposite. everything is lovely now. as of now i can still live for a few months without running out of cash but the idea of not having a job in 6 months time when i really need it was stressing me out too much, so i'm back looking for stuff to do now.

I guess it depends how bad it is. maybe make a big chart on the wall where you mark how bad it is day to day.

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010

Pie Colony posted:

at my last job i was working 1-3 hour days (but of course in the office for 8 hours) and that's still draining if you dislike the job. honestly if you have touched computers for a while and have extra savings, you can just choose to not work for a while. gently caress waiting til retirement for that

for myself, doing nothing at work and just reading wikipedia articles or whatever is a great way to make every day feel as long as a week

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

it may sound shocking to americans but in europe you generally cannot fire people on a whim

i'm sure brexit will take care of that though

In Britain you can already fire people on a whim within their first two years of employment (because you can't go to an employment tribunal until then). Thank you New Labour, Tories and Liberal Democrats!

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

i threw my toys out of the pram and quit at the start of may. the last few months i was there was one of the most miserable times in my life and i have never looked back at all and my life now is the opposite. everything is lovely now. as of now i can still live for a few months without running out of cash but the idea of not having a job in 6 months time when i really need it was stressing me out too much, so i'm back looking for stuff to do now.

I guess it depends how bad it is. maybe make a big chart on the wall where you mark how bad it is day to day.

it isn't bad in any aggressive way, there's no bullying etc and I'm well paid. its more just insane decision making, and the delicious combination of 1. constant organisational crisis mode locally + 2. glacially slow Japanese decision making globally. oh well, first interview phone screen tomorrow and I've hit up my network.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

C Hiring S: If you provide an acquaintance's resume to HR or another department as a suggestion for a position (seekin that referral bonus), make sure to follow up with them, because hiring/that department may either drop it on the floor or never get back to you (and you want that referral bonus)

Turns out a resume I provided a completely different department for a friend got missed because the head was on vacation, followed up, now they probably have an interview soon

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

yeah i am effectively a child so find it hard to get excited about pension. for reference the role is a functional scala role in london, 57k base + 10% bonus + whatever pension contributions. hmmmmm

none of my jobs in the uk have ever included pension within the base salary, it's always been £xxk base and then whatever% the organisation adds on as a pension contribution (though usually you're expected to sacrifice a defined % to get the whatever%)

if the org doesn't specify a defined pension scheme this means the gross salary you're offered will get a 5% haircut into the government NEST scheme and your employer will put in another 3% as its contribution

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

got an offer for my first computer touching job :toot:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

Congratulations! Now you can decline before you realize that computer touching for a living is terrible!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

feedmegin posted:

In Britain you can already fire people on a whim within their first two years of employment (because you can't go to an employment tribunal until then). Thank you New Labour, Tories and Liberal Democrats!

Unlike the US where you can get fired for any reason at any time, even for no reason at all!

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

this was done without the benefit of nepotism or cronyism btw and i do not recommend it

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

still waiting on an official offer from these fucks. it's been 15 days since my references responded to their inquiries.

Got told to expect something soon last Wednesday so I reached out Friday and got this response:

"Happy Friday! I'm very sorry for the slowness on our end - I'm still waiting for things to be approved from HR/Finance. I'll reach out (via email) as soon as I have an update for you! "

this is hella frustrating. i'm still sending out applications and have two tech screens this week but anxiety over this offer coming in is affecting me negatively.

should i reach out again today, friday, never?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Sounds like they are just being slow. I wouldn't read to much into it but do keep looking for other positions

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

bear in mind that quitting your job makes it harder to negotiate a higher wage at your next job

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I've had two jobs where I probably spent 6 hours a day at work playing dungeon crawl and looking for new jobs. It was terrible and draining in its own way although I got pretty good at the game.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

yard salad posted:

I've had two jobs where I probably spent 6 hours a day at work playing dungeon crawl and looking for new jobs. It was terrible and draining in its own way although I got pretty good at the game.

yeah its always a lot worse than it sounds on the surface, but it is a viable option for a while

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah I had a job where I could do the 8 hours of work in 2 and I read a shitload of books working there. It still loving sucked

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

that’s what oldjob devolved into before I broke down, yeah. no internet at desk so it was either books or gently caress off elsewhere (and really obviously not working at that time as a result)

work sucks as a rule but feeling unproductive and useless sucks way more

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

yeah its always a lot worse than it sounds on the surface, but it is a viable option for a while

yeah. I spent all my time at epic after my sabbatical before leaving for Apple like this and while I caught up on END ME SCOOB'S sword of truth thread in that time (thanks for your service scoob) it was incredibly tedious and more stressful than just putting effort into a mismanaged project.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Share Bear posted:

C Hiring S: If you provide an acquaintance's resume to HR or another department as a suggestion for a position (seekin that referral bonus), make sure to follow up with them, because hiring/that department may either drop it on the floor or never get back to you (and you want that referral bonus)

Turns out a resume I provided a completely different department for a friend got missed because the head was on vacation, followed up, now they probably have an interview soon

i referred a goon about a year back and had to follow up multiple times to get him through. we were using a new tool that was silently dropping candidates without anyone realizing. weee

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

bout to see if amzamom gonna fly my wife and i out for a nice weekend in seattle

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Shaman Linavi posted:

nice weekend in seattle

lol

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ratbert90 posted:

Congratulations! Now you can decline before you realize that computer touching for a living is terrible!

computer touching may be terrible on its own but if you’ve got to sell labor it’s impossible to beat

KidDynamite posted:

"Happy Friday! I'm very sorry for the slowness on our end - I'm still waiting for things to be approved from HR/Finance. I'll reach out (via email) as soon as I have an update for you! "

you may be their second choice and they are waiting to hear from their first. or their hiring process just sucks, like all hiring processes. annoy them periodically but don’t wait up for them.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
The best way to avoid that problem is to never get past the submitting resume stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Submitting resumes is a good problem to have