Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Here's the deal. People will try to say there are so many types of EDH players, it's impossible to play find a group all with the same goals, etc but that isn't true. There are two types.

1. Enjoys the format as an outlet for creativity.
2. Won't have a good time unless they win, and build their decks accordingly.

That's it. They will make outlandish claims abot the othr like "will whine if a combo goes off on turn 19" but those are the two types.

This is probably correct and I fall into category two so welp no commander for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

There are a whole bunch of people who enjoy playing Magic competitively, win or lose, but I guess they just avoid EDH.

Also someone is buying and playing those precons as is and that's not reflected in those categories either.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

odiv posted:

There are a whole bunch of people who enjoy playing Magic competitively, win or lose, but I guess they just avoid EDH.

Also someone is buying and playing those precons as is and that's not reflected in those categories either.

Up until my last local store went belly up, I would buy all 5 each year, mainly for the exclusive cards. but they also put decent stuff in for the format. They have a balancing act between putting in desirable cards for the format and not packing them with other format staples so actual Commander players can get a hold of the decks

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Framboise posted:

Considering that there are plenty of playgroups that work just fine within themselves, this is clearly not true.

Your playgroup is a group of people that agree with your style. If the above statement wasn't true, you wouldn't need a playgroup, because anyone could play with anyone.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Star Magic and Emperor are the only good multiplayer formats; don’t @ me

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

whydirt posted:

What pray tell are these?

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

smertrioslol posted:

What pray tell are these?

Star: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Star
Emporer: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Emperor

Star is a fantastic format if you have five players and want to mess around with politics. Emporer games can be quite the slog in my experience.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Judge's Tower?

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

OfChristandMen posted:

Star: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Star
Emporer: https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Emperor

Star is a fantastic format if you have five players and want to mess around with politics. Emporer games can be quite the slog in my experience.

Star seems pretty cool actually. My play group has a bunch of people who identify with one color already so this might actually work.

Emperor seems miserable and overly complicated.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Star actually sounds like quite a bit of fun, though the whole "even if you are eliminated, you can still win" clause is kinda strange to me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Those cards with multiplayer voting seemed pretty cool.

Sheldon Points are extremely dumb though

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Those cards with multiplayer voting seemed pretty cool.

It's funny because they are worthless in multiplayer but a couple became 1v1 all-stars.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It's especially amusing to watch someone cast Expropriate and watch the 3 other players choose to let the caster have 4 extra turns rather than 1 extra turn and 1 of their permanents each, and then get surprised that they run away with the game from there.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
expropriate looks like a classic prisoner's dilemma, can't really blame em.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I just saw two-pack boxes of Modern Horizons in Walgreens for $12. Anyone else seen these, and is that a decent price for those packs?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

InterrupterJones posted:

I just saw two-pack boxes of Modern Horizons in Walgreens for $12. Anyone else seen these, and is that a decent price for those packs?

My LGS sells individual packs for $7 a piece, so $12 for 2 sounds like a decent deal.

No Wave posted:

expropriate looks like a classic prisoner's dilemma, can't really blame em.

It's a neat card! But giving the caster all those turns almost guarantees they're going to win. I say money every time.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

whydirt posted:

Mental Magic was the poo poo back when that was a thing

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My favorite obscure multiplayer format that I barely got to play was Type 4 aka Limited Infinity. It was basically drafting a curated set of cards before cube was a thing and a casual multiplayer format before EDH was a thing. There was a pool of pre-selected cards constructed just for the environment that players drafted from and built decks with as normal. The only difference from normal Magic is that players are assumed to have infinite mana available at all times and you can only cast one spell per turn (essentially a Rule of Law is always in effect).

Since the cube was designed around the format, it'd obviously not have anything like Disintegrate or creatures with firebreathing or anything else that with infinite mana wins games. The Rule of Law effect made stuff like cycling cards (Decree of Silence especially) super valuable. Silly garbage like Tower of Fortunes became playable because sure, why not dump 16 mana into drawing a bunch of cards. It was probably my favorite Timmy-ish format. I'm sad nobody plays anymore, and I've yet to mention the format to anyone and have them recognize it or want to try it out. :(

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Framboise posted:

My LGS sells individual packs for $7 a piece, so $12 for 2 sounds like a decent deal.

That’s what I thought, but it rang up at 14.99 at the register so I guess the joke’s on me. I wish I could say I profited anyway, but I only came away with Future Sight, Nether Spirit, and a foil Viashino Sandsprinter.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

InterrupterJones posted:

That’s what I thought, but it rang up at 14.99 at the register so I guess the joke’s on me. I wish I could say I profited anyway, but I only came away with Future Sight, Nether Spirit, and a foil Viashino Sandsprinter.

It rang up higher than the price on the shelf and you just paid it? :raise:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

JerryLee posted:

It rang up higher than the price on the shelf and you just paid it? :raise:

I’m the non-confrontational brand of nerd, so I didn’t make a fuss. Besides, I figured that wasn’t too much more for a chance to get Wrenn and Six or Force of Negation. :shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speaking of multiplayer, I was looking up Doom Blade earlier and learned about Explorers of Ixalan, which looks like some fusion of MTG and Catan? Has anyone played it?

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 16, 2019

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Aranan posted:

My favorite obscure multiplayer format that I barely got to play was Type 4 aka Limited Infinity. It was basically drafting a curated set of cards before cube was a thing and a casual multiplayer format before EDH was a thing. There was a pool of pre-selected cards constructed just for the environment that players drafted from and built decks with as normal. The only difference from normal Magic is that players are assumed to have infinite mana available at all times and you can only cast one spell per turn (essentially a Rule of Law is always in effect).

Since the cube was designed around the format, it'd obviously not have anything like Disintegrate or creatures with firebreathing or anything else that with infinite mana wins games. The Rule of Law effect made stuff like cycling cards (Decree of Silence especially) super valuable. Silly garbage like Tower of Fortunes became playable because sure, why not dump 16 mana into drawing a bunch of cards. It was probably my favorite Timmy-ish format. I'm sad nobody plays anymore, and I've yet to mention the format to anyone and have them recognize it or want to try it out. :(

A guy I've been playing with for over a decade has a stack, we still pull it out every now and then.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Star was the first multiplayer format I played, way back in junior high, and it was just as good then as it is now. We didn't restrict decks though, we could play in the "white" slot with anything for example - targets to win are the same.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 17, 2019

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've played Type 4 before, but it was just a few stacks of cards that we'd each draw from. No drafting it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I've seen people play Mental Magic before and that looked really interesting. I was only a couple months into learning to play back then though so I wonder if I'd be any good at it now.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I played Emperor on Sunday.
A general gave the opposing emperor a containment priest.
I was playing Feather, a blink deck.
I had path and swords in hand.
I couldn't actually kill the containment priest.
Emperor is not fun.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM
Rochester drafting Type 4 is my favorite just-for-fun Magic format, but just playing off the stack is still great if you don't have the time to draft.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Framboise posted:

I've seen people play Mental Magic before and that looked really interesting. I was only a couple months into learning to play back then though so I wonder if I'd be any good at it now.

It's a super fun format

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Framboise posted:

It's super fun if both players have a nigh encyclopedic knowledge of cards.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
theres this 14 year old kid at my lgs that made his own mental magic stack and is always challenging other players to bet a pack and play a game with him.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

tinaun posted:

theres this 14 year old kid at my lgs that made his own mental magic stack and is always challenging other players to bet a pack and play a game with him.

That's rad as hell and I would take him up on that.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I played Emperor on Sunday.
A general gave the opposing emperor a containment priest.
I was playing Feather, a blink deck.
I had path and swords in hand.
I couldn't actually kill the containment priest.
Emperor is not fun.

If you couldn't kill it, doesn't that mean it doesn't affect you?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lets Pickle posted:

If you couldn't kill it, doesn't that mean it doesn't affect you?

Emperor has weirdo assymetric range-of-influence. (The "emperor" has influence over the opposing "generals", but the reverse isn't true).

It doesn't work very well.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/sickofit/status/1151353764252545024

https://twitter.com/WotC_Matt/status/1151355337095561217

https://twitter.com/WotC_Matt/status/1151356260110880769

That's some magic right there.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Framboise posted:

Literally none of this is a problem if people actually communicate and connect with the people you play with and get rid of the mindset that everyone has to agree with your style. Lotta really bad takes and attitudes here that ignore that.

It's a social format. Be social and communicate. Find the people who mesh with your style and play with them, and don't play with people who you don't have a good time with. It's really that simple.

Big this. The main group of people I play with all run 80% decks and we all kind of adhere to that rule and we have a ton of fun. Crack a few beers, lose to a janky combo, have a good time.

I also have a more competitive group I play with. Less fun but sometimes it's nice to have games not go on forever.

It's definitely all in who you play with. EDH is a social game, after all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
there are people in the arena thread who think it would be cool to play commander against randoms on arena

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Your Go

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Jabor posted:

there are people in the arena thread who think it would be cool to play commander against randoms on arena

Playing commander against randoms on MtGO is fine :shrug:. I’d play it on arena if it existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Bring back Brawl you cowards