Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

AF posted:

Since things are quieting down, please allow me to share this weird journey I just went on

I enjoy watching Jon Bois' (SBnation editor who sometimes does basketball!! related poo poo) vids and was looking up a song that he uses frequently within them. I found it here (set to start at the sample he uses)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wuy8g-8DH4&t=75s

and even though I've heard this song plenty of times, listening to it separately from his videos made something click...haven't I heard this distinct style of music before? Why is there an address to London on that album cover? Wasn't there some funky BBC synth stuff from the 70s and 80s? Didn't I play a game that had music that sounded kinda like this?
KPM music gets used quite a bit:
Joe Danger 1's (You know, No Man Sky devs) soundtrack was KPM stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmzp0eTzHwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56_O0awIlBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5JWyI_n2zk&t=4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob8vpYUHTxQ

Search Spotify for 'KPM 1000' and you'll get albums and albums dedicated to specific moods and themes.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
the biggest tragedy here is CBoyardee just disappearing. If he ever makes another game without kickstarter bullshit I'll be 100% behind it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bball Tactics demo released:

quote:

Okay so just a quick update: The demo has been out for almost three weeks now and we’ve been making some just general fixes to it. I think there is another bigger update due soon for it that just solves more basic errors that have come through playthroughs and testing. But now on to the release at hand: Basketball Tactics aka BBTTX aka BBT aka Tactics Ballre: Let Us Slam Together.

The TL;DR of this is that the link is here: https://talesofgames.itch.io/basket-ball-tactics

NOTES:

Game is not thoroughly play-tested, but should run fine on most setups.
No real work has been done on the game in a while, it’s essentially in the state we last had it working.
IT IS ONLY LOCAL TWO-PLAYER. There is no AI.
You can play with 1 or 2 controllers.
There are DESIGN DOCUMENTS included in the zip file, just check out the DESIGN DOC folder. Most of that stuff is mentioned below.
Okay so now for some backstory -

The genesis of this game might be apparent – to solve the suspicious lack of bball at the beginning of the game. If you have played the demo you can play the Uschi Baller Quest and if you succeed, you end up playing a bball game against 3 duergars. That game, however is not included in the B2 project itself, and rather built on it’s own with a two-stage strategy:

Build the game on it’s own (as compile times were atrocious at the start of the project) with the intention of eventually adding it back into the single-player Barkley 2 game. This means making turn-based AI.
In the standalone project, we would develop the game with the purpose of releasing it as a mobile, touch-capable, multiplayer game. This would be released at some point before B2 as a fun teaser.
From the original design document, I created a few playthrough videos using a chess board and some color-coded tokens. The idea was to go through step-by-step what the game would play like and hopefully allow pasty enough agency to fill in the blanks and adjust the mechanics during development.

BBALL TACTICS PRACTICAL VIDEO ONE

BBALL TACTICS PRACTICAL VIDEO TWO

From there, programmer extraordinaire known as pasty set to work developing the systems that were needed, always with the intent on this being a multiplayer game. There were many rules that you can see evolving overtime from the initial design doc in the DEVELOPMENT NOTES that pasty kept meticulous track of. Those development notes are included in the zip.

After a while, a I created a new basic mockup of how the UI might work… with my focus being much more on WHEN the player interacts with the screen and leaving the HOW up to the code. Here is that video which also shows a decent example of the game play:

BBALL TACTICS UI MOCKUP

From there, we worked on the MENU and Multiplayer Lobby experiences. Also pasty was diligent to get the game running on mobile, so there does exist some touch-based controls for the game while running on iOS and Android.

From there, having spent the majority of the work in the code, he then came up with the existing radial design for the UI. This works a lot better than the vertical list that I had! Once we had that locked in, we started working with frankie to add enough sprites to get the animation system down.

What you are playing is the result of that.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

nerdz posted:

the biggest tragedy here is CBoyardee just disappearing. If he ever makes another game without kickstarter bullshit I'll be 100% behind it.

He worked on katana zero, which was pretty good IMO. Check it out

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Midjack posted:

Bball Tactics demo released:

The name Tactics: Ballre is the best thing to come out of this whole mess. $10 worth it imo

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I deffo got my 20 quid or whatevers worth from the drama but the release of the demo has confirmed that the game itself was never going to be any good which is a shame but otoh I no longer mourn its dogs death and I don't have any hard feelings for anyone involved.

I hope the talented people go make other games I can buy while Liam is trapped forever in this hell of his own making and still posting updates on my deathbed.
Not because he's bad or deserves it, but because it's funny.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Tactics Ballre is dope, and Barkley 2 will be dope.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Did we ever learn what cheated the beef?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've got a question about B-Ball tactics - I've skimmed the design notes, and there doesn't seem to be an explanation for why it's a 3v3.

Is this a deep cut? Because the Sega Saturn version of Space Jam was also limited to 3v3 matches with local multiplayer...

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Tunicate posted:

I've got a question about B-Ball tactics - I've skimmed the design notes, and there doesn't seem to be an explanation for why it's a 3v3.

Is this a deep cut? Because the Sega Saturn version of Space Jam was also limited to 3v3 matches with local multiplayer...
Uh, have you ever played street basketball???

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's like the old med school saying, when you hear rebounds you think space jams, not street jams.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

So were it not for someone saying "gently caress the police" non-backers would still be waiting on that demo huh

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
truly, the police are to thank for this.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

spit on my clit posted:

truly, the police are to thank for this.

Well were it not for ours being a civilization build under the concept of Rule of Law, which requires agents to enforce, the hit vidcon known as The Magical Realms of Tir na Nog: Escape from Necron 7 - The Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa would never have had a chance of being uploaded onto the internet. So in a way the police are to thank for this.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
anarchists are against the idea of barkley. don't be an anarchist. support your local b-baller today

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
I remember some poo poo about barkley 2 being dead for sure, but now I see 2000+ posts itt. I didn't read them, but the post count alone confirms the existence of barkley 2 on shelves of every basketball store.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
There was a story on NPR a few months back about how 3v3 b-ball is gaining popularity but they were just talking about retired NBA players in Europe, so yeah. Objectively speaking, 1v1 match ups is where b-ball is most exciting and you would get much more of that in 3v3 play.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

RVWinkle posted:

There was a story on NPR a few months back about how 3v3 b-ball is gaining popularity but they were just talking about retired NBA players in Europe, so yeah. Objectively speaking, 1v1 match ups is where b-ball is most exciting and you would get much more of that in 3v3 play.

Just FYI there’s a summer league called the Big 3 founded by rapper Ice Cube that is retired guys/wash outs playing 3v3 going on right now, it’s pretty fun to watch for a summer diversion

That’s your bball FACt for the night

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I bought Enter the Gungeon on the last steam sale and wow they really did basically what this was supposed to be minus a ton of the tedious busywork stuff, huh?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Cuntellectual posted:

I bought Enter the Gungeon on the last steam sale and wow they really did basically what this was supposed to be minus a ton of the tedious busywork stuff, huh?

Yeah lol

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I would 100% take Frankie's sprites and periodic table and play gun's rancher.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Cuntellectual posted:

Gungeon has more pun's than joke's

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

spit on my clit posted:

anarchists are against the idea of barkley. don't be an anarchist. support your local b-baller today

Stop co-opting barkely from us, liberal

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pomp posted:

Stop co-opting barkely from us, liberal

excuse me? i am no liberal, i am a left wing center right wing, this means that i support every political view, even if it conflicts. you might call me a fence sitter, but in reality i make both decisions. i am always correct and wrong at the same time, what are you? i bet you're one of those plebians who is wrong only half the time. pathetic.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

spit on my clit posted:

i am a left wing center right wing

Sounds more like a bucket of KFC

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I only vote for the Ball Moose party.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RVWinkle posted:

Sounds more like a bucket of KFC

america is a melting bucket. it does not matter if you are the left or right wing, or even a complete chicken breast, we are all in this greasy, soggy bucket together.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

spit on my clit posted:

greasy soggy bucket

Solid username

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

JoJo's Barkley Adventure: Backboard is Unbreakable

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The Barkley's worse than the byte

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I deffo got my 20 quid or whatevers worth from the drama but the release of the demo has confirmed that the game itself was never going to be any good which is a shame but otoh I no longer mourn its dogs death and I don't have any hard feelings for anyone involved.

I hope the talented people go make other games I can buy while Liam is trapped forever in this hell of his own making and still posting updates on my deathbed.
Not because he's bad or deserves it, but because it's funny.

Are you playing the right demo? The one with all the Duergar or the one with the Drakerz?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Itch demo out

https://talesofgames.itch.io/barkley-2

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Semper g*me's

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Itchio tags: diaper, schlooter

Checks out

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i

don't believe.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Patware posted:

i

don't believe.

mods

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Since the demo was disappointing I've pivoted to thinking Liam is the true saviour of this project because hopefully he doesn't quit and in 7 years we get another drama explosion

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I got put on the team and I used my time to get a draft of the ending. I'm going to spoil it for you. Actual real rear end spoilers follow

Cyber Dwarf's head lies near death on the floor near Hoopz while Cuchulainn laughs about how everything has been futile and Hoopz was better off staying in the jail city not knowing of his past. Cyber Dwarf laughs to this and tells Hoopz that it's not pointless. He should never give up... and that he has a special message from his father.
His cyber eye lights up and a shadow hologram of a familiar man is displayed. It's Barkley. He gives a inspiring speech to Hoopz telling him that he needs to revive the soul of B-Ball if he's going to ever find his inner strength. Before the message can finish though Cuchulainn crushes his head under foot killing Cyber Dwarf.
Something snaps in the once innocent Hoopz as he watches his friend die. The last of his memories come flooding back into him as he remembers the joy of dribbling. Filled with a newfound fury he grips his B-Ball tightly.
"That finally shut him up. He was seriously getting on my nerves" sneers the powerful Cuchulainn before he notices the b-ball glowing in Hoopz hand.

"What's that? You think a B-ball can stop me?" He asks as a pure blue energy swirls around it causing the b-ball to spin violently, Hoopz tears streaming down his cheeks. "I know it will. I'm going to end this right now." He spits as he propels himself forward, jamming the spinning blue b-ball into Cuchulainn's chest causing the villain to cough blood directly into Hoopz face. "W-what is this? This power?!" He screams.
"It's my special technique you baka, it's the Rasengan!" Cuchulainn's face twists into rage as his body begins to crumble. "This can't be happening! Me, defeated? Impossible!"

Hoopz smirks. "Believe it!"

Cuchulainn is then blown to bits.

There, now we can never wonder about the game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I got put on the team and I used my time to get a draft of the ending. I'm going to spoil it for you. Actual real rear end spoilers follow

Cyber Dwarf's head lies near death on the floor near Hoopz while Cuchulainn laughs about how everything has been futile and Hoopz was better off staying in the jail city not knowing of his past. Cyber Dwarf laughs to this and tells Hoopz that it's not pointless. He should never give up... and that he has a special message from his father.
His cyber eye lights up and a shadow hologram of a familiar man is displayed. It's Barkley. He gives a inspiring speech to Hoopz telling him that he needs to revive the soul of B-Ball if he's going to ever find his inner strength. Before the message can finish though Cuchulainn crushes his head under foot killing Cyber Dwarf.
Something snaps in the once innocent Hoopz as he watches his friend die. The last of his memories come flooding back into him as he remembers the joy of dribbling. Filled with a newfound fury he grips his B-Ball tightly.
"That finally shut him up. He was seriously getting on my nerves" sneers the powerful Cuchulainn before he notices the b-ball glowing in Hoopz hand.

"What's that? You think a B-ball can stop me?" He asks as a pure blue energy swirls around it causing the b-ball to spin violently, Hoopz tears streaming down his cheeks. "I know it will. I'm going to end this right now." He spits as he propels himself forward, jamming the spinning blue b-ball into Cuchulainn's chest causing the villain to cough blood directly into Hoopz face. "W-what is this? This power?!" He screams.
"It's my special technique you baka, it's the Rasengan!" Cuchulainn's face twists into rage as his body begins to crumble. "This can't be happening! Me, defeated? Impossible!"

Hoopz smirks. "Believe it!"

Cuchulainn is then blown to bits.

There, now we can never wonder about the game again.

big if true