Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

I mean, I'm trans, so I'm not exactly "privileged", seeing as how cops will do anything they can to gently caress me over if I ever have an incident that draws them. It's not every day you call tell a cop to shut up without him trying to arrest you for it, please let me have this without being a loving scold, Jesus Christ.
I stand by the point for now but am also willing to admit it may just be a lingering politics nerd need to have real specific labeling on everything. We're clearly on the same side and the broader point is way more important: cops and cop-enablers are bad people. I don't need to police my own side's use of language when it's not actual hate speech, and cops don't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Loomer posted:

It really sucks having Odin as your main-man when most self-described Odinists are nazis. But I tell you what, they're in for a shock when they get to Valhalla (as target practice, not as participants, because lol at the idea of them ever going down hard enough to attract Odin's interest at all). They're expecting lily white vikingland, but Odin only cares about getting the scariest dudes around to fight the final battle, so they'll be surrounded by the dead of thousands of tribal conflicts and anti-colonial struggles. It'll be like, half Zulu up in there.

Off topic but can you link me some non fash odinist stuff? My friend is into it but a bit secretive about faith stuff and I'd like to understand them a bit better.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Off topic but can you link me some non fash odinist stuff? My friend is into it but a bit secretive about faith stuff and I'd like to understand them a bit better.

I'll round some up and PM you.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Loomer posted:

If you want to copy-paste me in too, I'd really appreciate it. I've always been interested in it conceptually (even as a pretty firm atheist), but a LOT of the stuff you first get is Secret(ish) Nazis so I'd love better sources.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

:justpost:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Lol yeah that's garbage normie hams for you - our center is """classic liberal""" and our right is...ugh, gently caress.

Nothing particularly wrong with Kirioth himself though, least as far as I can tell. Dude has had the opportunity to do chud poo poo and has to know it would boost his channel if he did. And yeah I realize how sad it is that we're issuing sighs of relief when a Warhammer YouTuber is merely apolitical instead of overtly fascist.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Deified Data posted:

Lol yeah that's garbage normie hams for you - our center is """classic liberal""" and our right is...ugh, gently caress.

Nothing particularly wrong with Kirioth himself though, least as far as I can tell. Dude has had the opportunity to do chud poo poo and has to know it would boost his channel if he did. And yeah I realize how sad it is that we're issuing sighs of relief when a Warhammer YouTuber is merely apolitical instead of overtly fascist.

I meant to ask this earlier but I was on my phone and then I was busy.

What the gently caress is going on here? I know that Sargon is a total shitstain, but that's about all I know about this.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I meant to ask this earlier but I was on my phone and then I was busy.

What the gently caress is going on here? I know that Sargon is a total shitstain, but that's about all I know about this.

Nothing to worry about that I know of - YouTube's algorithm is just poo poo and likes connecting populations of chuds on its platform. Kirioth is a well known and generally mild mannered Warhammer YouTuber who to my knowledge does nothing to court this kind of thing but where there isn't currently a correlation YouTube would like to create one.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

But like what is even happening in that picture?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Xiahou Dun posted:

But like what is even happening in that picture?

It looks like Carl is at some campaign event, which may or may not have anything to do with the title because lol Sargon. The reference to "debate" may mean something happened while he was sitting at his fash lemonade stand, but in any case "I won't accept your apology" is either some vile leftist rudeness or some alt-right badass comeback, depending on who said it, because again lol Sargon.

Like any Sargon thing, it's almost certainly a bunch of pseudo-intellectual nonsense, but fash love it and it gets him attention, so anyone who isn't clearly peeking in at him in morbid curiosity* is a walking red flag.

* For instance, I'm sure there's a few Sargon and adjacent videos in my YT history, in between the long stretches of Angie, hbomb, Thought Slime and People's Bayonet.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

So it's probably just him at something(???) being a dick* and this somehow got to twitter via a youtube thing? Like, I literally don't understand what this image is besides a picture of a dickhead and some woman I don't know at a picnic table.

I don't have anything to do with Twitter and hate Carlgon so much that I can't really watch those parts of Shaun and Hhomb, so I'm never going to investigate this personally.

*I take the safe assumption he's always a dick. It's morning in the UK right now so I just assume he's drinking tea in a way that is somehow racist.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Xiahou Dun posted:

So it's probably just him at something(???)

I would guess at one of his campaign stops for his disastrous run for…MP? Whatever government position he was after where him and his Online Fash compatriots were so poo poo they basically helped crash and burn UKIP (as the Brexit Party rises from its ashes).

quote:

being a dick* and this somehow got to twitter via a youtube thing? Like, I literally don't understand what this image is besides a picture of a dickhead and some woman I don't know at a picnic table.

I don't have anything to do with Twitter and hate Carlgon so much that I can't really watch those parts of Shaun and Hhomb, so I'm never going to investigate this personally.

*I take the safe assumption he's always a dick. It's morning in the UK right now so I just assume he's drinking tea in a way that is somehow racist.

It looks like a Youtube recommendation algorithm thing where people who watch Warham Guy's channel can be reliably expected to like Carl's mouthshits.

The algorithm has a lot of dumb hiccoughs and what not, but this probably isn't a mistake (on the algorithm's part), so it's not a great look.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

I would guess at one of his campaign stops for his disastrous run for…MP? Whatever government position he was after where him and his Online Fash compatriots were so poo poo they basically helped crash and burn UKIP (as the Brexit Party rises from its ashes).

Wait wait what????

He actually tried to run for something? I checked out on following him even for humor because he's an rear end in a top hat and I already have clinical depression but what?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait wait what????

He actually tried to run for something? I checked out on following him even for humor because he's an rear end in a top hat and I already have clinical depression but what?

Yep, he ran for MP. Got milkshaked at least a couple times on campaign tour, I think, then got basically zero votes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait wait what????

Yeah, he ran for the European Parliament for UKIP.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jesus weeping christ what an rear end in a top hat. loving hell.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Sargon was also the GM for a long-running D&D Campaign where the PCs are Deus Vult Crusaders fighting desert-dwelling evil hordes, and one of the PCs is a literal blackface monk.

In Session 0 the gaming group got into a big argument when one of the players wanted to be a cleric whose highest ability score was Charisma instead of Wisdom.

Sargon also had a DMing Advice video up on his channel but deleted it when it filmed him tossing a cigarette into the neighbor's yard.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Do I want to know? (I don't but I hate myself.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Libertad! posted:

Sargon was also the GM for a long-running D&D Campaign where the PCs are Deus Vult Crusaders fighting desert-dwelling evil hordes, and one of the PCs is a literal blackface monk.

In Session 0 the gaming group got into a big argument when one of the players wanted to be a cleric whose highest ability score was Charisma instead of Wisdom.

Sargon also had a DMing Advice video up on his channel but deleted it when it filmed him tossing a cigarette into the neighbor's yard.

Okay I didn't know this stuff. holy poo poo

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yep, he ran for MP. Got milkshaked at least a couple times on campaign tour, I think, then got basically zero votes.

He didn't think he'd win, he had this bizzare conspiracy theory in his brain that politicians and those running for office would not be banned on twitter for hate speech so by claiming he was running he would be protected.

(It didn't work)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

He didn't think he'd win, he had this bizzare conspiracy theory in his brain that politicians and those running for office would not be banned on twitter for hate speech so by claiming he was running he would be protected.

(It didn't work)

Please find me a source for this I want to link it to someone who might actually die of laughter.

Loomer posted:

Thank you that would be really awesome of you.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Please find me a source for this I want to link it to someone who might actually die of laughter.

Obviously he didn't admit it outright but as I understand it it has some precident:

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/440869-twitter-suspends-eu-election-campaign-accounts-for-two-candidates-who-were

quote:

Twitter and Facebook both typically leave up accounts and posts from political figures, even when they violate their community guidelines, citing the "newsworthiness" of their comments.

But given many social media platforms are under fire for allowing hate speech to spread, some are cracking down harder on obvious attempts to weasel around it.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

DontMockMySmock posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/carl-benjamin-milkshake-salisbury-ukip-a8920846.html

https://twitter.com/Stegsythedog/status/1130078383004635136

My town may be full of Tories, but I can be proud of this at least.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
hell yeah

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
As somebody who's just recently picked up the hobby of modeling and fantasy wargaming, is there anything bad I should know about Reaper or Games Workshop/Citadel's politics or policy before giving them a bunch of money?

I've heard - maybe on this forum - that GW at least uses UK union labor instead of running unethical death trap factories in the developing world, and I don't think I know poo poo about Reaper but I'd be startled if it's too bad given how many people on this forum seem to be into the Bones stuff. So aside from "never give GW money"...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

As somebody who's just recently picked up the hobby of modeling and fantasy wargaming, is there anything bad I should know about Reaper or Games Workshop/Citadel's politics or policy before giving them a bunch of money?

I've heard - maybe on this forum - that GW at least uses UK union labor instead of running unethical death trap factories in the developing world, and I don't think I know poo poo about Reaper but I'd be startled if it's too bad given how many people on this forum seem to be into the Bones stuff. So aside from "never give GW money"...

Reaper's pretty solid overall. There was some drama involving one of their employees a couple of years ago and some comments they made on Facebook, but for the life of me I can't remember the details.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Reaper runs their operations out of Texas and generally makes their stuff there. For the last several years they have been running Kickstarters to finance moving most of their production from metal to plastic. If you don't know, it's very easy to make metal miniatures (relatively speaking), because the equipment is fairly low-tech. Making plastic miniatures is actually harder, especially at the quality most people want, because you need to have metal molds made. This is expensive (metal miniatures use rubber molds, which are cheap). What this means is that you need a lot of money to make molds for plastic, so it's not something small operations can often do. GW does it because they are big. Reaper has been using Kickstarter to get the funds upfront.

The side effect of this is that for the Kickstarters, they have the molds made in China, and also have the chinese factories produce all the kickstarter figures before sending everything over - this lets them get the volume required to fulfill the KS backers quickly. So at least those batches are being made in China with whatever that means for labor and practices. Once the KS is over, the molds are brought to the US where the Reaper facility can keep up with their normal demand. Anything you buy Bones retail is going to be made in TX, I think.

A couple years ago one of Reaper's staff members, their Operations Director, decided to poo poo all over facebook with some alt-right ranting in the middle of the kickstarter. Reaper didn't handle this the way many people would have liked. They rebuked his statements but he stayed on as Operations Director and seems to have mostly just been told to shut his stupid mouth. A lot of people wanted to see more done, or something more than the statements that were released. The handling of that incident basically killed the KS fervor here, the Bones thread died shortly afterward with a lot of people revoking their pledges.

You can read something about it here. I am ambivalent on it; it definitely killed a lot of my interest at the time, but I have not boycotted Reaper completely.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

With Gencon coming up, are there any major jerks to avoid in the vendor hall? Gencon is pretty good about keeping those kinds out but not always.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ashcans posted:

Reaper runs their operations out of Texas and generally makes their stuff there. For the last several years they have been running Kickstarters to finance moving most of their production from metal to plastic. If you don't know, it's very easy to make metal miniatures (relatively speaking), because the equipment is fairly low-tech. Making plastic miniatures is actually harder, especially at the quality most people want, because you need to have metal molds made. This is expensive (metal miniatures use rubber molds, which are cheap). What this means is that you need a lot of money to make molds for plastic, so it's not something small operations can often do. GW does it because they are big. Reaper has been using Kickstarter to get the funds upfront.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Does that mean plastic's costs are frontloaded but it's cheaper in the long run?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Bruceski posted:

Interesting, I didn't know that. Does that mean plastic's costs are frontloaded but it's cheaper in the long run?

From what I understand, plastic is a cheaper material but making the actual molds and buying the machines is magnitudes more expensive than metal or resin, hence why you don't see a lot of kickstarter companies coming out with plastics.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

From what I understand, plastic is a cheaper material but making the actual molds and buying the machines is magnitudes more expensive than metal or resin, hence why you don't see a lot of kickstarter companies coming out with plastics.

It's also why GW tends to fall back on resin for limited run models like Eisenhorn. It's too expensive to make the mold if you don't plan on wearing that mold out.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

GW aren't unionised as far as I know. But they do produce almost everything in the UK (or US for that market). With the huge turnaround in profits over the last couple of years they've been paying thousands of pounds in bonuses to everyone who works for them, which is nice.

Plastics cost tens of thousands for a main production mould. And that's just the mould. Acquiring the machinery and expertise to produce them is, obviously, a huge outlay.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Oh, I actually know about this stuff!

Moldmaking depends on the material you’re using to make your miniatures, as stated before. The old/traditional process is done via spin-casting: you make a small master mold, cast a few copies to fill out the mold (parting out anything that would get trapped), and add the sprues and gates. The molds themselves are vulcanized rubber discs - typically, you nestle your copies in the mold, heat it up and press to get the detail, and then you’re ready to cast.

Each cast is a a bit of a skilled labor operation: you need to warm up the mold, put it in your spincaster, and then pour in the molten metal. Since the molds are rubber, they have a finite lifespan, and storing a large back catalog can be difficult. The advantage is that you can pretty quickly go from master copy to production, and the costs behind each mold are relatively inexpensive, so assuming you have space and sculptors, you can get a lot of variety. The equipment can be built by someone in their garage - I have plans to use an old washing machine motor into a spincasting rig as soon as I finish clearing out my shed, because all you need is a way to hold the molds together while spinning them, assuming you can heat and cool the molds.

Injection molding requires you to machine plates. This is, understandably, expensive and requires specialized industrial machinery. Nowadays, most of the work is done via CAD/CAM - you digitally sculpt your models, arrange them on the sprue, and then machine it out of steel to withstand the high heat and pressure necessary for injection molding plastics. The plus side is that they last for a very long time - there are some model kits that still use molds from the 70s, for example.

As far as fash manufacturers, I can’t think of any offhand, but you’re a lot more likely to find that kind of stuff in garage kit and resin/metal molding, apart from the whole “the capital necessary to get plastic molding going tends towards exploitative practices, especially in overseas manufacture,” but that’s just capitalism being terrible again.

I’m a bit surprised there isn’t a miniature co-op out there yet. I’d say that it would be cool to start, but margins are thin and the possibility of it becoming a goon project and ending with accidentally starting some sort of war in Canada is a bit too high for me to be comfortable with it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but it sure feels right, even if the discussion has probably been had before.

What are your opinions on people role-playing characters that are a different gender/orientation/race/anything else than the player is? Both in high profile areas like the McElroy brothers and at your personal game table. I ask this assuming everyone is acting in good faith to play a character and not to make it a joke, those people can gently caress off.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but it sure feels right, even if the discussion has probably been had before.

What are your opinions on people role-playing characters that are a different gender/orientation/race/anything else than the player is? Both in high profile areas like the McElroy brothers and at your personal game table. I ask this assuming everyone is acting in good faith to play a character and not to make it a joke, those people can gently caress off.

It's fine as long as they aren't making the character a joke.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
For a lot of people who are still figuring out what gender and orientation they actually are (cos that poo poo ain't easy), doing so can be a really important and valuable way of exploring this aspect of themselves.

But more generally, anything that breaks down the assumption of "men are always men, women are always women, nobody ever changes from what they were assigned to be at birth" can only be a good thing.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

If it's not a joke/caricature/parody then I'd think that the only problem you're likely to have is inadvertently outing one of the group as a shithead when they start "joking" about it.

Nobody I know would give a poo poo, but it's probably something you want to (almost certainly awkwardly) check with your group about.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Possibly relevant:

"May I play a character from another race?", by James Mendez Hodes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If everyone's acting in good faith I see no problems at all. It probably matters more in some milieux than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
In my opinion, crossplay is fine if you're not being gross or making a joke of it. As a trans woman who spent a very long time in the closet, playing cis and trans female characters was a big outlet for me when I was younger.