Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Mr Jius is good.

I also legit like Henry's Hunan, particularly the North Beach location, although it sounds like your friend is on one of those dumbass ~~*authenticity*~~ quests so that probably won't fly. Get the meat pie if it does. Holy hell, best hidden SF dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Z&Y gets rated highly in publications/instagrams but you can get better szechuan in Millbrae and other locations further away. If you want a guaranteed decent experience in the city it's not a bad idea.

Mr. Jius is high end with some fusion/modernity to it. Good cocktails. If you go here PM me I'll see if I can get you VIP treatment.

Carillon posted:

Same, on Friday actually! It sounds really good and I love Koi Palace so very excited.

How was it btw? I too liked to frequent Koi Palace when I was further south, and I like a lot of the Millbrae joints, but I'm still yet to get out to the north side for this.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 17, 2019

Development
Jun 2, 2016

gotta recommend hunan impression in SJ. get your butthole reaaaady for ring of fire

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Ranter posted:

Mr. Jius is high end with some fusion/modernity to it. Good cocktails. If you go here PM me I'll see if I can get you VIP treatment.

I was actually disappointed by Mr Jiu's when I went. I was expecting more traditional Chinese food as opposed to the modern fusion they have.

It was executed well but I guess my expectations were just different. I do want to try Eight Tables as that is supposed to be more traditional.

Development posted:

gotta recommend hunan impression in SJ. get your butthole reaaaady for ring of fire

Yeah Hunan impressions is good and if the line is too long, just go to Gaku next door lol.

Edit: I have heard the cocktails at Mr Jiu's are very good and I would go back for those alone.

Speaking of which maybe we can do a Goon Meetup at Paper Plane in SJ. We got a top 10 bartender in the US down here now. :downs:

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 17, 2019

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Ranter posted:

I went a week ago for my birthday, it was pretty good - turnip cakes and steak rice were definitely highlights. The second floor lounge is amazing, definitely check it out if you go.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

Z&Y gets rated highly in publications/instagrams but you can get better szechuan in Millbrae and other locations further away. If you want a guaranteed decent experience in the city it's not a bad idea.

How was it btw? I too liked to frequent Koi Palace when I was further south, and I like a lot of the Millbrae joints, but I'm still yet to get out to the north side for this.

Can do! I'll try and figure out what I can get away with, hopefully it's something that I can make fly with what they want.

As for Palette, it was amazing! My girlfriend said we should just do a dinner there out of dumplings next time and I can't say she's wrong, the scallop Siu Mai is amazing. I really liked the Cha Siu myself, it had some really good flavor, tasted like there was honey in there and was fatty but not too greasy. Overall would definitely do again, I'd likely go back over lunch/brunch to try the Bao.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

OGS-Remix posted:

Speaking of which maybe we can do a Goon Meetup at Paper Plane in SJ. We got a top 10 bartender in the US down here now. :downs:

make this happen

but also food

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

OGS-Remix posted:

If we did a bay area food meetup maybe a little further up the penn I'd go. SJ is a schlep. If this really happens and SF goons without cars wanna go, I can drive.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

wursthall in san mateo?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Development posted:

wursthall in san mateo?

I am so in. (This may be a deterrent.)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am so in. (This may be a deterrent.)

yeh same in both regards

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I like Wursthall too, maybe I'll post in the Bay Area thread to try and get more people.

Looking at their website it says they can take reservations for more then 10 people. I dunno if we'll have that many but maybe we can find a time that works for everyone.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Isn’t there somewhere people can get to via BART? Wursthall looks like you can take CalTrain, but probably not that convenient for most. And getting back is another story. I’m actually not sure where most people live.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Toe Rag posted:

Isn’t there somewhere people can get to via BART? Wursthall looks like you can take CalTrain, but probably not that convenient for most. And getting back is another story. I’m actually not sure where most people live.

tbh millbrae sucks if we want to hangout after. there's not really anything to do after eatin'

Development fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 18, 2019

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Toe Rag posted:

Caltrain is inconvenient for some, BART is inconvenient for others. Just gotta pick a good enough place to light the goon signal and see who turns up.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I might be in for this and I’m also in the industry so I may be able to pull some strings depending on where we go.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Might be in for this too depending on day/time!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well if we're thinking San Mateo Taishoken just opened it's doors, it's a supposedly legendary ramen spot.

I'd be down too though for wherever really.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Carillon posted:

Well if we're thinking San Mateo Taishoken just opened it's doors, it's a supposedly legendary ramen spot.

I'd be down too though for wherever really.

we went on saturday to check it out and the line was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. maybe 3-4 hours long?

yelp review liek:

quote:

I got there at 4:00 and was able to put my name down by 4:30 and I was one of the last parties seated at 9:30! They were out of some stuff by then, so I'll definitely have to make a trip back.

went across the street to champagne instead and got the best fuckin' roasted squab I've ever had.

helps being cantonese tho

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Development posted:

we went on saturday to check it out and the line was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. maybe 3-4 hours long?

yelp review liek:

went across the street to champagne instead and got the best fuckin' roasted squab I've ever had.

helps being cantonese tho

Holy poo poo! Well good call on the headsup. Wow. I was thinking of trying to go but uhh not worth it right now it seems like.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
if San Mateo (which has better after-dinner/drink options vs. millbrae) is the location and not somewhere closer to BART, then I recommend sticking to Wursthall because the Bavarian style bench seating is better for larger groups. More conducive to moving around and open conversations.

I'm in SF and I can fit 4 people in my civic coupe but it will be squishy in the back. I won't murder you, but I will subject you to Aussie folk-country music.

Kenji just posted on IG that wursthall has sound dampening panels now.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 18, 2019

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Mr Jius is good.

I also legit like Henry's Hunan, particularly the North Beach location, although it sounds like your friend is on one of those dumbass ~~*authenticity*~~ quests so that probably won't fly. Get the meat pie if it does. Holy hell, best hidden SF dish.

Henry Hunan is my favorite 60s style Chinese food, I always try to hit it up atleast once if I'm at Moscone for a conference

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
8 Tables is decent but you can do much much better for your money. Like Benu. Good cocktails though

Also I’m shocked that people like Mister Jiu’s but perhaps they had an off night when I was there

FWIW my three favorite Chinese restaurants are: Chili House in the Richmond neighborhood, Oriental Teahouse in San Leandro, and Great China in Berkeley (bonus: outrageous wine list)

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Abigails Moroccan Cuisine in Alameda is the poo poo, $25+tip/person for dinner and a show, plus byob (pro-move, batch your cocktails in advance). The key move i think is to book ahead with a large enough group and byob enough so that if the rest of the crowd is boring and passive (like ours was wtf Alameda???) your crew can get into it enough to carry the mood. You’ll probably want to get a ride-share to and from but the byob should more than make up the extra cost.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Whatever you do, don't drive with any alcohol in you on Alameda. The cops there are nuts and there are A LOT of them and Alameda is pretty white & racist. I lived there for about a year and a half and there were things I liked about it but yeah be in the know!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

OGS-Remix posted:

I was actually disappointed by Mr Jiu's when I went. I was expecting more traditional Chinese food as opposed to the modern fusion they have.

It was executed well but I guess my expectations were just different. I do want to try Eight Tables as that is supposed to be more traditional.

Danny Louie is their bar manager and he is truly fantastic. He’s won some awards but I still find him to be a talent that a lot of folks over look, to their detriment. Incredible service and cocktails. I really miss his drinks at Chino, RIP

Ranter posted:

if San Mateo (which has better after-dinner/drink options vs. millbrae) is the location and not somewhere closer to BART, then I recommend sticking to Wursthall because the Bavarian style bench seating is better for larger groups. More conducive to moving around and open conversations.

I'm in SF and I can fit 4 people in my civic coupe but it will be squishy in the back. I won't murder you, but I will subject you to Aussie folk-country music.

Kenji just posted on IG that wursthall has sound dampening panels now.
This is really nice of you and if it ends up being a night I can attend I’d like to take you up on the offer. Happy to chip in for gas or buy your dinner or whatever.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'd definitely be down for that meetup at some point

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OK, so there are 10 posters expressing interest, and 10 is the minimum for a reservation at Wursthall. I can also drive people from SF if needed. Who is volunteering to contact them about a booking? :colbert:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Wrong thread

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Toe Rag posted:

OK, so there are 10 posters expressing interest, and 10 is the minimum for a reservation at Wursthall. I can also drive people from SF if needed. Who is volunteering to contact them about a booking? :colbert:

I'd be happy to if there's a date in mind that works?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
my palette tea house trip report:

Tuesday night, not busy, reservations for 2 were available for any time we wanted. It's in ghirardelli square. They automatically add 15% tip, I guess because it's in ghirardelli square (tourists don't tip?).

The plates at your table are little paint palettes where you spoon in the sauces you would like for dipping. Our server presented the sauces and said you spoon them in, but she didn't bring the spoons like the tables around us had, so we messily poured them in. The sauces were "house" soy, some kinda fancy seasoned chili and this was the best one most flavor, hot mustard, cilantro/lime and finally a regular smooth/thick hot sauce like sriracha.

The menu is big. There is a lot of stuff that sounds good. We ended up with:

Scallop Siu Mai - they were on the larger side, tasted like fresh scallop so they were good. Would order again.

Gai lan with oyster sauce reduction - they trimmed/wittled the ends of the gai lan which I'd never seen at yum cha before and these were cooked to PERFECTION. Great crunch, no bitterness, they are getting some top notch produce for this. The gai lan was the best I have ever had. The oyster sauce reduction though was a misleading description, I don't know if they just ran out and were substituting or the line cooks hosed up, but it didn't taste much like oyster sauce and was not a reduction. It was a gravy thickened with corn starch. Tasty but not didn't seem to match the description on the menu. I'd still order this again for sure god drat was that good gai lan!

palette house xiao long bao - those of you familiar with koi palace or other dim sum joints that do it will know this take on the classic soup dumpling. 5 dumplings, each a different kind. e.g. kale/spinach green dough, squid ink black dough with shrimp filling, tumeric yellow, brown with beef filling etc. They held together well no soup leakage, plenty soupy inside. Would probably get again or get the traditional kind.

7 spice crispy fried silken tofu - they were very crispy with melt-in-your-mouth tofu inside, the texture contrast was great. The letdown? Bland, they had no salt, didn't really taste much in the way of 7 spices just a lot of garlic. Was great with sauces though, I'd get this again for the textures.

Shrimp cheung fan (steamed rice rolls, they call them rice crepes) - disappointing. The sauce is weak, bland, imparted barely anything. Filled with lots of shrimp, though. The style of rice roll was thin. Came out kind of cold, maybe service hosed up and let it sit too long. Fell apart too easily.

seasonal veg cheung fan - more disappointing. Same weak sauce, rolls were filled with corn, carrot and peas. honestly it took me back to when mum would steam a packet of frozen veg medley. maybe people will like the nostalgia trip. extra messy because they fell apart too easily and the veg were very small pieces.

Steamed char siu bao - typical char siu bao nothing amazing not terrible. Wouldn't order again because of the other unique things they had but we weren't feeling up for the durian or custard baos.

still thinking about that gai lan.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

The plates at your table are little paint palettes where you spoon in the sauces you would like for dipping. Our server presented the sauces and said you spoon them in, but she didn't bring the spoons like the tables around us had, so we messily poured them in. The sauces were "house" soy, some kinda fancy seasoned chili and this was the best one most flavor, hot mustard, cilantro/lime and finally a regular smooth/thick hot sauce like sriracha.

That was one part that was curious to me as I thought soy sauce took at least a year to ferment and they haven't been open that long. I spoke with my girlfriend about it when we went but didn't ask a server how that works.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 25, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I think the idea is this place is a bit of a tourist trap and they're full of poo poo on that one.

edit: tourist trap was a bit harsh and not exactly what I meant. I guess I want to say their servers aren't as educated by the establishment on what they're selling, not held to a high standard like other upscale restaurants we're used to and just make poo poo up. Tourists will buy it but bay area foodies will furrow their brows in skepticism.

and maybe you can technically make soy sauce a lot quicker, it just won't be very good.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 24, 2019

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Usually just lurk in here but I'd be down for a meetup if I can make the date!

I'd just be schlepping it up from Mountain View on the Caltrain so can't help with rides though

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Carillon posted:

I'd be happy to if there's a date in mind that works?

8/24? That way we can all schedule our busy social lives accordingly.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I made a doodle for Wurstgoons, you can fill in your vote with this link here: https://doodle.com/poll/ewm3evk57enucsz5

8/24 seems like a good starting point but we'll see as more people fill in their times.

Edit: I put all of August in, if people want to plan all the way out to September, I guess they can add a note.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 25, 2019

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I’m somehow booked all of those days. Weekdays are a little easier for me—I don’t have a weekend free until Sept 15th. If I don’t catch you all this time around, maybe next time.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So looks like the 17th and 18th with best for the most people (8), with the 17th having all green. Only having 8 we'd have to just show up, or are there two more we want to shoot for? What times work best.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

maybe email them now and ask for availability for those couple dates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Development posted:

maybe email them now and ask for availability for those couple dates

I'll contact them about the two dates. I'll look for a normal (7pm?) dinner time but I can see what's available.