Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

nm posted:

One of our suburban cities has piloted an on-demand ride system with small buses (that charges regular bus fares). Its a pretty cool system and really helps with that last mile (or 5) problem.
Basically it works like uberpool, but holds more people and is way cheaper.

This is called "paratransit" and has been around since the 70's.

The most common implementation is the small-bus service for people with disabilities - which many jurisdictions created so that they would be ADA compliant without upgrading their entire bus fleet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paratransit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Devor posted:

The most common implementation is the small-bus service for people with disabilities - which many jurisdictions created so that they would be ADA compliant without upgrading their entire bus fleet.

Yup, we have that in addition to the regular bus system. It helps, and the bus company does do it's best to cover the parts of town that need coverage the most. But with such long routes, many stops gets serviced only once every 30 minutes. Some of the more popular routes do get a second bus, which brings service time down to once every 15 minutes.

The bigger issue for me personally is the length of the routes. My trip to work in the morning would be:
1. Walk a half-mile to the nearest bus stop.
2. ride the bus for 25 minutes before reaching transfer point #1, a mile from where I was picked up
3. ride a second bus for 25 minutes to transfer point #2, 3 miles from transfer point #1
4. ride a third bus for 5 minutes to the bus stop where I work, a half-mile from transfer point #2

Even if they put on extra buses to decrease service time at the bus stop to 10 minute intervals, I'd still spend almost an hour on three different buses to go less than 5 miles. It would honestly be faster for me to walk the whole way.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That thing would probably try beating the truck down the road at 30.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Devor posted:

This is open to all.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
https://i.imgur.com/xeBCblB.gifv

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

This is why the "vanishing point" method is hammered into the brains of MSF BRC students.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Some giant prick wrecked this guy's car:

https://twitter.com/NorthwestFire/status/1149002361701986310

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

nm posted:

This is open to all.

Paratransit is not inherently for the disabled, the use of “para” in this context means “alongside” and not paralyzed.

Airport vans are another common example of Paratransit, but privately run. You request a pickup to the airport, they get you there after picking up 8 other people.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Video version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsjuLsKAEFA&t=189s
Action is around 3 minutes if the timestamp doesn't work.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:dadjoke: for the comment you provided

:allbuttons: for the rest

wolrah posted:

Video version

The one thing he's good at is not driving faster than the brakes on the car can handle.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

wolrah posted:

Video version
You can also see where that dumbshit pulled the log from ~4:34.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

wolrah posted:

Video version

:lol: if you go back to about 2:30 you can see the starting drag marks on the road from the log

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Devor posted:

Paratransit is not inherently for the disabled, the use of “para” in this context means “alongside” and not paralyzed.

Airport vans are another common example of Paratransit, but privately run. You request a pickup to the airport, they get you there after picking up 8 other people.

Publicly run paratransit is almost always only open to people with disability needs. It also tends to need reservations so far in advance that it isn't useful for lots of transit needs.
At this point, you might as well argue that uberx or owning a car are equivalent.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So has the sixth gen charger finally usurped the pontiac sunfire for position of "vehicle on the road least likely to be insured"?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Powershift posted:

So has the sixth gen charger finally usurped the pontiac sunfire for position of "vehicle on the road least likely to be insured"?

No, I think that will be the Crown Vic or any other panther platform, excepting cop cars.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

Only the V6 versions proudly sporting the names of BHPH lots on their trunklids. Speaking of which, I rarely see R/Ts of that gen out in the wild. Do the HEMIs have a tendency to blow up/fall apart or what?

EDIT: Also, Avengers.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Do the HEMIs have a tendency to blow up/fall apart or what?

The Modular Displacement System likes to eat cams and lifters, and the transmissions they're paired with have a whole host of issues of their own.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

solarNativity posted:

The Modular Displacement System likes to eat cams and lifters, and the transmissions they're paired with have a whole host of issues of their own.

In the 90's my parents had a weird attachment to Chryslers. First a LeBaron and then a New Yorker. Both had major transmission issues at some point in their lives.

It's comforting to know that decades later, and through multiple changes in ownership, even on a 'heavy-duty' product line, Chrysler still can't build a durable transmission to save its own life.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

ProjektorBoy posted:

In the 90's my parents had a weird attachment to Chryslers. First a LeBaron and then a New Yorker. Both had major transmission issues at some point in their lives.

It's comforting to know that decades later, and through multiple changes in ownership, even on a 'heavy-duty' product line, Chrysler still can't build a durable transmission to save its own life.

Their 3.3 and 3.8 liter engines are solid though. I worked at a cab company in the early to mid 2000's. We drove Dodge/Chrysler minivans because we could get them cheap. We had a 2001 model that we bought brand new, had like 13 miles on it, and drove the hell out of it for years. We finally retired the drat thing at over 280,000 miles because we didn't want to put a fourteenth transmission into it. Engine still purred like a kitten.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PremiumSupport posted:

Their 3.3 and 3.8 liter engines are solid though. I worked at a cab company in the early to mid 2000's. We drove Dodge/Chrysler minivans because we could get them cheap. We had a 2001 model that we bought brand new, had like 13 miles on it, and drove the hell out of it for years. We finally retired the drat thing at over 280,000 miles because we didn't want to put a fourteenth transmission into it. Engine still purred like a kitten.

It’s eating transmissions more than a normal car needs a clutch replaced? Oh yeah that sounds rock loving solid to me!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

PT6A posted:

It’s eating transmissions more than a normal car needs a clutch replaced? Oh yeah that sounds rock loving solid to me!

Look at you negative Nancy. Fourteen transmissions in 280,000 miles is a milestone. The average Chrysler owner goes through fourteen replacement vehicles in 280,000 miles.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

PT6A posted:

The fault was in the transmissions. That particular gearbox on the early 2000 models had a nasty habit of blowing out a portion of the casing under certain conditions. Those conditions being: allowing the drive wheels to spin freely then suddenly catch and stop. This happened a lot when you pair cab drivers who have only two foot positions: brake to the floor or accelerator to the floor, with roads covered in ice or sand.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Look at you negative Nancy. Fourteen transmissions in 280,000 miles is a milestone. The average Chrysler owner goes through fourteen replacement vehicles in 280,000 miles.

I knew a dude with a Chrysler Sebring, his parents bought it for him new. The car got two oil changes in its entire life, which was about 55k miles. Scrapped after, not worth replacing an engine.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't see any Ford Explorers from 2002-2010 on the road anymore, either

Trailblazers appear to be automotive cockroaches in contrast

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-15/train-smashes-into-cars-on-melbourne-train-tracks/11309040

Morons have a small nose to tail accident, leave their cars on a level crossing while debating who is at fault, and well you can guess what happens next.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Ugh. So many people in my town will stop in the tracks during rush hour despite the fact if a train does come they would have nowhere to go because traffic is so backed up. They've been putting a lot of radio adds telling people that trains can't loving stop like a car but they still do it anyhow. A few pedestrians near me even manage to get killed because they have in earbuds and are looking at their phones. Maybe I'm just an rear end in a top hat (of course I am) but I don't feel too much pity for someone that oblivious.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Ho Lee fuk, there were two boys in one of the cars.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This motherfucker right here.

This dumb oval office son of a bitch.

All that gravel was right at the back of the trailer, and he was firing those loving rocks at everybody and anybody

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

If you feel vindictive that picture might get him an improperly secured load ticket. Kind of a waste of time if you don't have real property damage though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
These are the highways you share drivers with.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/07/16/highway-36-westminster-traffic/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

LloydDobler posted:

If you feel vindictive that picture might get him an improperly secured load ticket. Kind of a waste of time if you don't have real property damage though.

It would also get Powershift a distracted driving ticket.

He had a loving pickup. Why on earth wouldn't he put it in the bed?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Probably didn't want to scratch the factory bedliner :haw:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

Nah, just tell them you were a passenger in your buddy's skyline.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

slidebite posted:

Have you seen the load height of modern full sizers?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SlapActionJackson posted:

I’m told by the commercials I just pull up and they dump thousands of pounds directly into the bed from about 10 ft up? Are you saying this is wrong?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Had a guy with a white bmw come screaming past me on a under-construction onramp and almost rear end a dump truck yesterday. Also he'd modified his exhaust to be even louder than the construction vehicle.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Pipes save lives

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

SlapActionJackson posted:

What's going on there? The bed is like nipple-high for me on the new F-150. gently caress lifting stuff that high, if I were in the market for a truck-o-mobile I'd want a Colorado, probably a fleet version without any monster truck cosplay crap on it.

I dailied an El Camino, so I may be biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dielectric posted:

What's going on there?

Truck culture dictates that trucks must be the biggest thing on the road, so as people move towards SUV's trucks have to grow to compensate. Manufacturers are happy to oblige!