Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

That reminds me, I recently watched an awesome video (edit: https://youtu.be/7iGZuA_LSk8) about the inner workings of Tower of Terror (ruining/figuring out Disney Magic is extremely my poo poo) and it’s insane how many redundancies and failsafes the imagineers put into their rides.

And speaking of internet videos, I saw another one— not gonna link it— about how Galaxy’s Edge was a colossal flop and it’s basically empty because Disney Raped Star Wars and other bullshit. I was really confused until I saw in the related videos: Why Everyone Hates Brie Larsen. So yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hazo posted:

That reminds me, I recently watched an awesome video (edit: https://youtu.be/7iGZuA_LSk8) about the inner workings of Tower of Terror (ruining/figuring out Disney Magic is extremely my poo poo) and it’s insane how many redundancies and failsafes the imagineers put into their rides.

And speaking of internet videos, I saw another one— not gonna link it— about how Galaxy’s Edge was a colossal flop and it’s basically empty because Disney Raped Star Wars and other bullshit. I was really confused until I saw in the related videos: Why Everyone Hates Brie Larsen. So yeah.

"It's a big flop!" I say as I fight the waves of crowds fighting to buy everything in sight and forming 45 minute queues to get a drink.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Also: "It's a big flop, but also they can't keep any merch stocked! Sad!"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

There’s a couple people/sites out there with some sort of agenda against Star Wars land and are hellbent on showing how dead it is.

Disney can’t win, if they didn’t restrict it people would bitch. They do, people bitch

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

I was really confused until I saw in the related videos: Why Everyone Hates Brie Larsen. So yeah.

Is it because she's really hateful and problematic?

I don't think a lot of people understand that Galaxy's Edge is not going to look crowded unless there's like 10k people in it at all times because of all the blocks in the sightlines.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is it because she's really hateful and problematic?

Oh gently caress off already dude. Brie Larson is cool and good and your white male fragility rear end isn’t. :fuckoff:

Edit I hope your dumb rear end is still crying that they put a strong female pirate in and took out the sex slave auction.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 16, 2019

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh gently caress off already dude. Brie Larson is cool and good and your white male fragility rear end isn’t. :fuckoff:

Edit I hope your dumb rear end is still crying that they put a strong female pirate in and took out the sex slave auction.

I'm a woman.

And red is still stupid. Brie Larson treats her co-stars like trash. Watch any interview.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Mentally, I understand that Disney is running a contemporary theme park, but part of me would love to ride all the rides as they originally debuted.

I think the original hitchhiking ghosts were better and that the new ones are too showy.

I liked the big quiet area in DL and will sincerely miss the BBQ.

Also, I loving hate Jack Sparrow and I hope they tear him out. Or leave him in, but stop saying his loving name over and over.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Well stop carrying their torch for them ffs. Your chud posts are tiresome af.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Well stop carrying their torch for them ffs. Your chud posts are tiresome af.

Oh no, I have a different opinion. What a bitch am I. Silence! I'm only allowed to be empowered if you agree with me.

Yeah. That's about what I expect.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

🙄 forever

You make a big deal out of the stupidest poo poo with your alt right talking points every time in this thread. Pirates changes, straw bans, and now Brie Larson. You’re welcome to your stupid opinions but this isn’t the place and no one cares about your stupid political gripes with Disney.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 16, 2019

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Oh no, I have a different opinion. What a bitch am I. Silence! I'm only allowed to be empowered if you agree with me.

Yeah. That's about what I expect.

Ma'am, this is a Wendy's.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pththya-lyi posted:

Ma'am, this is a churro cart.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'm a woman.

And red is still stupid. Brie Larson treats her co-stars like trash. Watch any interview.

yeah look at this horrid woman treating her costar like dirt in this interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4xladCHpmg

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
So uh, still stuck on Soarin’?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Beachcomber posted:

part of me would love to ride all the rides as they originally debuted.

I get the nostalgia part of this sentiment, but after riding a few of the OG rides at Disneyland, I don't feel this way at all. If I never ride Mr Toad ever again I'll be 100% ok with that.

It helps I don't have a childhood attachment to Disney really. I didn't go to the theme parks ever as a kid, my first trip was when I was 34.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

skipdogg posted:

I get the nostalgia part of this sentiment, but after riding a few of the OG rides at Disneyland, I don't feel this way at all. If I never ride Mr Toad ever again I'll be 100% ok with that.

It helps I don't have a childhood attachment to Disney really. I didn't go to the theme parks ever as a kid, my first trip was when I was 34.

27 first visit here. It's weird because I seem to get nostalgia for things that happened before I was born, every so often.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

skipdogg posted:

I technically went when I was 5, but didn't remember any of it, and then we did grad night there when I was 17, but I was too busy flirting with my future wife to pay attention to the park.

Went in my mid 20s for the first time that I actually paid any attention. So yeah, no nostalgia from me.

While I know it's not the same, for those with nostalgia for the old stuff, it seems like there's decent to excellent footage of every old ride for archival purposes.

Make way for progress, grandpas.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anya posted:

So uh, still stuck on Soarin’?

Spent 45 mins on it before they got us down. They gave us some universal fast passes that we had them set to MK instead since we were heading out after Soarin and just finished up a great evening there. I’m not sure if it was supposed to be a limited number but they were never used up and got us at least 5 rides. Still showing active now too.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Bottom Liner posted:

Spent 45 mins on it before they got us down. They gave us some universal fast passes that we had them set to MK instead since we were heading out after Soarin and just finished up a great evening there. I’m not sure if it was supposed to be a limited number but they were never used up and got us at least 5 rides. Still showing active now too.

Can you tell us how it got stuck? In simple, reproducible steps?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

Can you tell us how it got stuck? In simple, reproducible steps?

:emptyquote:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

There are discounts for the last half of this year available, including free dining. The only Moderate resorts participating are CBR and Coronado.

No free dining for all of October, but there is a room discount.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any free dining for pop in December or discounts without free dining?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Pop is eligible for free dining in Dec, but I don't know what availability is like.

There are room discounts for Sept through the end of the year. Most resorts are eligible.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thank you. I kinda wanna attempt to book but I bet I could get a better deal with a room discount than free dining...sigh decisions decisions

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I finally rode Jurassic World today. It's not an awful ride, but man is it worse than Jurassic Park.

The opening aquarium scene is a very unconvincing effect that completely destroys any semblance of suspense or tension the ride tries to build later. It's hokey and boring after that. The climax itself just falls flat and the 'plotline' is incredibly hard to follow (Chris Pratt sends Blue to help you by... doing something? And there's another raptor who claws at the wires for... reasons? And T-Rex comes to save you from the I-Rex, except the I-Rex is nowhere near you and the T-Rex doesn't even look at it?)

Talk about a letdown.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Does universal have their A-team only working on Harry Potter stuff these days or what? Because the quality differential of that and everything else is stark.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Does universal have their A-team only working on Harry Potter stuff these days or what? Because the quality differential of that and everything else is stark.

I'd imagine so. They probably pulled some of those folks to work on the Nintendo area.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
The other day I learned that they turned artist point into a character dining experience. SMDH.

As much as I'll never forgive them for turning Akershus into a stupid character dining restaurant this is almost as bad.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
You mean “they turned artist point into the best drat character meal on property” than yeah. I guess if you dug the “it’s 6:40pm and there’s one other table and the rest of the restaurant is empty” vibe you have to move over to the wave for now.

Universal pulled another gringotts and opened the ride before it was ready. I ended up waiting about an hour tonight before they dumped the queue. Got a paper express pass for it so I’ll have to head back sometime.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Disney’s opened more bad / screen rides in the past two years than Universal has fwiw

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Nathilus posted:

The other day I learned that they turned artist point into a character dining experience. SMDH.

As much as I'll never forgive them for turning Akershus into a stupid character dining restaurant this is almost as bad.

Storybook Dining is amazing and I won't hear otherwise.

Empress Brosephine posted:

Disney’s opened more bad / screen rides in the past two years than Universal has fwiw

Uhhh...Smuggler's Run and Flight of Passage? Are there other screen rides recently that I'm not thinking about?

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jul 17, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
River adventure

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I think it's disingenuous to call that a screen ride.
You're also high if you think River Journey is nearly as bad as F&F

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think they both suck tbh fast and furious is worse but I said more bad not the most bad.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
You haven't quite proven your argument that they have opened "more" even if you're being incredibly subjective in your opinion of what is "bad"

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It’s pretty unbalanced considering I think Universals only opened what three rides I the past two years to Disney’s 7?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Abigail Disney went undercover into Disney Land to see how bad the castmembers have it

She calls out Iger for making a ton of money and hardly paying park workers. :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I also haven’t seen anyone call FoP or Smugglers bad, so that’s a new hot take too. And the equivalence of screens and bad isn’t accurate as there are great ones and there are terrible ones. No one is mad at Disney for doing screen rides because they use them sparingly and do them well.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I get a feeling that at some point Pandora had three rides, which meant River Journey could be the smaller, less intense experience, but at some point that third ride was cut and they decided to hype the hell out of River Journey.