Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

davebo posted:

You said "duration of HoX/PoX". Is it only a mini? Or just more titles that run for a year and a half and end abruptly like every other X-Men book lately?
HoX/PoX are both six issue mini-series running biweekly from July to presumably early October. It's been described as "Phase One" of Hickman's X-Men plans, and it seems like he's been working with [other writers, presumably many of the ones currently working on X-Books] to coordinate the launch of Phase Two, which includes (I believe) one book written by Hickman (possibly twice monthly, possibly two books, I can't remember if anything is confirmed) and then however many books written by other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013
I enjoyed Prisoner X; I think it was the best of the Age of X-Man books, though Dani being there still confuses me. I mean, I wouldn't put it past Rosenberg's crap to use her on Uncanny despite being on Age of X-Man, but I guess there must be more to that than just a lazy editor and a bad writer.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

davebo posted:

Oh my mistake. I kept seeing tweets about it and assumed it was today.

It went to the printer today.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

radlum posted:

I enjoyed Prisoner X; I think it was the best of the Age of X-Man books, though Dani being there still confuses me. I mean, I wouldn't put it past Rosenberg's crap to use her on Uncanny despite being on Age of X-Man, but I guess there must be more to that than just a lazy editor and a bad writer.

I assume it will be Dani in Age of x-man is false and made by Nate since they dated

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

radlum posted:

I need to check out the rest of the Age of X-Man books, I've only read X-Tremists but I dug it immensely.

How was the Nightcrawler book?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Skwirl posted:

I need to check out the rest of the Age of X-Man books, I've only read X-Tremists but I dug it immensely.

I really enjoyed it as it gets Kurt and uses him well in the setting for the story. It also has Meggan being Romani and a bunch of New X-Men and Excalibur characters also feature in supporting roles.

Prisoner X is also really, really good. The final splash page from #5 was a perfect blend of writing and art.

Also, holy crap, Uncanny X-Men somehow keeps crapping itself harder and harder. #21 was just astoundingly awful, and it's so funny that I read it before Immortal Hulk, which just gets better and better. Talk about polar opposites.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it's fun. It isn't as excellent as X-Tremists or, imo, as good as X-Tracts or Prisoner X, but it's a good solid Nightcrawler story with some fun twists and interesting world-building.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

NextGen dragged its feet a bit in the middle, but I really liked its ending. Glob Herman has come a long way from being petroleum Beavis in New X-Men.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Having caught up with Prisoner X, wow, that was a fantastic final issue. The art's gorgeous, the writing's sharp, and the blocking out of the scenes is so lucid and clear. The hallway fight early in the issue is one of the best fight scenes I've ever seen in a comic book. It's this super complicated arena, portrayed with utter clarity. That one panel where the doors behind Gabby show the action with Lorna like pseudo-panels? Really grand.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Age of X-man is following the second event trend where the tie-ins are the worthwhile part and the main is just kind of eh.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

HELL YES

https://twitter.com/DavidVilly74/status/1148737394591408128

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
X-Statix was too short and only left me wanting more. I'm excited to see where this goes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1149791378328752128

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
So Leah Williams isn't in the first wave of new Xbooks after Hickman's two minis, but there's good things happening for Betsy Braddock

https://twitter.com/mymonsterischic/status/1149839889346781184?s=19

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Please tell me there's only one issue of Uncanny left before Age/Power of X-starts.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Please tell me there's only one issue of Uncanny left before Age/Power of X-starts.

Yes, the 17th. Then House starts the 24th.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Yes, the 17th. Then House starts the 24th.

Oh thank God. This is the definition of sunk cost for me, even more for me to keep watching Arrow.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

So who do you think will tragically die in the last issue of Uncanny?

I think Dani, because it seems Rosenberg has something against characters that I like. Maybe Magik but I doubt Marvel would let him.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Adnor posted:

I think Dani, because it seems Rosenberg has something against characters that I like. Maybe Magik but I doubt Marvel would let him.

Matt Rosenberg, in an Animal Man twist you'll never see coming.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

these are good:

https://twitter.com/i/moments/1128425340114620416

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

As some of you may know, John Byrne had a celebrated (if little remembered now) run on the X-Men and like all characters he's worked on - and even some he hasn't - he has Views on how those characters ought to be and if given the chance to write them will use that chance to retcon "the injustice" whatever it may be away. A giant example is his treatment of the Vision in West Coast Avengers, because he thought Viz should be a certain way and hew closer to his original form (where he had no emotions and was boring).

Dawgstar, you say, this is the X-Thread where we hope you survive the experience. What does that have to do with anything? Well, one of the characters Byrne has a view on is Magneto whom he believes should have never been a Holocaust survivor because he thinks that's too noble an origin for a villain. Now, regardless of what you think of that he posted his fix on his crappy 'X-Men: Elsewhen' project on his forums:

John Bryne posted:

I'll reveal here a sequence I'd planned for HIDDEN YEARS, but did not get to:

A young woman shows up at the Mansion, looking for Xavier. Turns out she is the granddaughter of an old professor of his, someone who was very important to Charles in his youth. She tells him that her granddfather is dying, and has asked to see Charles.

Xavier goes with her to the hospital, but the old man is already too far gone to even know Charles is there. The granddaughter cries as she remembers the life the old man lead, including being a survivor of the Holocaust. "All those memories will be lost forever when he dies," she says. Xavier thinks "Perhaps not..." and when he has a moment alone with his old friend reaches into the man's mind and creates a "recording" of all that he has experienced.

The implication (which I would probably not have been allowed to state in so many words) is that when Magneto was turned into a baby Xavier planted all those memories in his mind, kind of as a "time release capsule" that would shape his personality as he grew up, and turn him away from his murderous ways. ("If only this power could be harnessed for Good...") Unfortunately, Erik the Red accelerated Magneto's growth process and Xavier's plan got messed up. The memories came to him all jumbled.

I imagined Magneto one day discovering what Xavier had done--ie, that all this memories belonged to someone else--and becoming once again the nasty piece of work we'd always known and loved.

So not only does he make Magneto a regular ol' villain again, he makes Xavier an even bigger one (and Chuck often needs little help in that regard).

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

It shouldn't surprise me, but somehow John Byrne's awfulness continues to impress what the gently caress :psyduck:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Adnor posted:

Better not kill off Illyana. The only good thing is probably everything that's happened will be undone by Hickman.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I have no idea what to expect with Hickman. His Phoenix powered Cyclops in Secret Wars was so drat weird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Open Marriage Night posted:

I have no idea what to expect with Hickman. His Phoenix powered Cyclops in Secret Wars was so drat weird.

He gets punked by Doom right out of the gate, so I dunno what to expect.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I think Cyclops was already in a weird place at the time in general. Also, I believe Bendis was still on the titles back then.

Hickman wasn't really handling most X-Men characters, outside of what he did fairly well with Beast/Sunspot/Cannonball in the Avengers books.

That's also why we should remember that the run up to Secret Wars was meant to be an apocalyptic scenario where basically everything was going wrong.

Obviously that doesn't mean I'll like everything Hickman tries to do now, but the man should almost certainly have a different idea in mind now that he has full control over the mutants.

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 15, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

wielder posted:

I think Cyclops was already in a weird place at the time in general. Also, I believe Bendis was still on the books back then.

Hickman wasn't really handling most X-Men characters, outside of what he did fairly well with Beast/Sunspot/Cannonball.

That's also why we should remember that the run up to Secret Wars was meant to be an apocalyptic scenario were basically everything was going wrong.

Obviously that doesn't mean I'll like everything Hickman tries to do now, but the man should almost certainly have a different idea in mind now that he has full control over the mutants.

The stuff with Cyclops and the phoenix egg was after the 8 month time-jump that none of the other comics ever really acknowledged until they did a special issue right before Secret Wars where the heroes deal with the fact that the universe is ending.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Skwirl posted:

The stuff with Cyclops and the phoenix egg was after the 8 month time-jump that none of the other comics ever really acknowledged until they did a special issue right before Secret Wars where the heroes deal with the fact that the universe is ending.

That is true, in the strict sense, but I see that as a coordination failure by the editorial authorities.

Either Bendis should have incorporated hints of those changes into his own work, or they should have reached a mutual understanding with Hickman. Who had been visibly building up to ending the existing Marvel universe for quite a while, so the big picture should have been clear.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I always got the impression the editoral powers at Marvel were afraid to ask Bendis to do things.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I like when there’s some surprise changes after a time skip. Made me really interested in what a Hickman written X-Men would’ve been like in the lead up to Secret Wars.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2019/07/15/x-men-monday-featuring-the-uncanny-x-men-writing-team-20-uncanny-x-men-x-it-interview/

quote:

AiPT!: Obviously, a lot of mutants have fallen in the line of duty throughout this Uncanny run. Jake (@JDChen0804) wanted to know how it was decided who on the team would perish.

Matthew: Well, the story’s not quite over, so I can’t give everything away. But going in the idea was that most of the X-Men won’t make it out. We’re taking them to one of the lowest spots they’ve ever been, and when you’re the X-Men that is real low. For the X-Men, and most ongoing superhero stories, it’s about peaks and valleys. We take them to the edge of destruction and see them come out the other side as something stronger hopefully. It’s a painful process for sure, it’s been painful to write, but I think when people see the bigger framework of what we did and where things are going in the coming years, I think a lot of the choices we made will make even more sense.

Narrator: They won't.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

I am guessing that at least some of these "dead" characters will return in the final issue or at a later point.

Which is to be expected, of course, because that's usually how mainstream comics tend to operate.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The New Mutants were my first and favorite super-hero team :smith:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Beerdeer posted:

The New Mutants were my first and favorite super-hero team :smith:

In all honesty this probably isn't even the worst couple of weeks the New Mutants have had in their history.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Skwirl posted:

In all honesty this probably isn't even the worst couple of weeks the New Mutants have had in their history.

There was that one time that the entire team got murdered by a mad god, then temporarily reality-warped so they'd never existed at all. That was probably worse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

There was that one time that the entire team got murdered by a mad god, then temporarily reality-warped so they'd never existed at all. That was probably worse.

And got brought back to life remembering their own death, but no one else having any knowledge of it.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Wanderer posted:

I just read that arc. hosed up.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

New Mutants was a pretty hosed up book, but that's why it was so good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey did they ever reveal why Sharp/Shogun looked like Logan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

big lol @ Uncanny 22 today