Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Keetron posted:

We use sprint planning with the entire team there so we can influence what we work on and commit to in a sprint. As soon as others start telling me what needs to happen in what timeframe, I would check out and start looking.
In most worlds, the product team has already decided what stories are going to be worked on, hopefully with sufficient input from the engineering teams responsible for implementation, and those stories have gone into a backlog. Sprint planning meetings are typically not for reordering that backlog, but for figuring out the optimal way to scope and slice those stories to fit into and deliver value in the sprint. Sometimes this cadence is different, like for functions like security or site reliability where the teams might function as their own product owners, but what you're describing is pretty atypical for product-driven organizations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Just an interesting story for oldies and aspiring oldies about why even a theoretically easy new project at a large, old company is intrinsically difficult technically, politically, etc.:

http://www.smashcompany.com/business/why-are-large-companies-so-difficult-to-rescue-regarding-bad-internal-technology

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

prisoner of waffles posted:

Just an interesting story for oldies and aspiring oldies about why even a theoretically easy new project at a large, old company is intrinsically difficult technically, politically, etc.:

http://www.smashcompany.com/business/why-are-large-companies-so-difficult-to-rescue-regarding-bad-internal-technology

I'm totally sympathetic to this kind of thing. The hard fought lesson I got from a convergence initiative a few years back is that you're converging methodologies, not tools, and that's something of a religious war that's beyond a single technical team's pay grade.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Somewhat random, but this popped up on my Twitter feed; not really software-related but as the subject of hiring comes up over and over again here, worth posting as I think this is a good job advert (no CV, pick 3 from a list very small tasks which should give a pretty decent indication of how you think about and approach relevant tasks in the job):

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/job-vacancy-a-researcher-for-the-spectator/

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 27, 2019

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RobertKerans posted:

Somewhat random, but this popped up on my Twitter feed; not really software-related but as the subject of hiring comes up over and over again here, worth posting as I think this is a good job advert (no CV, pick 3 from a list very small tasks which should give a pretty decent indication of how you think about and approach relevant tasks in the job):

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/job-vacancy-a-researcher-for-the-spectator/

That's really cool. I think our industry could learn something from that. I did see one job advert for a security engineering type role where the end of it was 'contact us at Zm9vQGJhci5jb20=' which was a base64-encoded email address.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Careful Drums posted:

That's really cool. I think our industry could learn something from that. I did see one job advert for a security engineering type role where the end of it was 'contact us at Zm9vQGJhci5jb20=' which was a base64-encoded email address.

I did see a job add awhile ago that said something like "No contact information, but if you use your HEAD we're sure you can find it...". Basically had to make a HEAD request and then another rabbit hole hop (POST against another endpoint w/ a specific payload) and you'd get the email address and subject line to send.

I thought it moderately clever, but the job was a startup that had a lot of "ninja" nonsense going on it so it was actually a little annoying. I didn't bother to apply once I got the contact info and the response was full of the coder warrior junk.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Every other time I’ve successfully done these CTF style resume submissions I’ve never been contacted probably because I don’t appear to fit their ideas of someone that can do the job looking at my resume. But all of these hurdles even across industries reminds me more of Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory than an earnest search for a candidate that fits the skills that necessitated a role.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Yeah, the Spectator one sounded like it might actually bypass the usual bullshit. Whereas a console.log(“hey there bucko you know about web inspector! Apply today”) or a math problem on a billboard seems like it just puts you in the same funnel as when you reply to a recruiter’s mass-email.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

necrobobsledder posted:

Every other time I’ve successfully done these CTF style resume submissions I’ve never been contacted probably because I don’t appear to fit their ideas of someone that can do the job looking at my resume. But all of these hurdles even across industries reminds me more of Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory than an earnest search for a candidate that fits the skills that necessitated a role.

Whatever do you mean? Wonka's interview process was great. He got a kind hearted person who loved the business to take over.

On the other hand, the cutesy-pie stuff tech companies throw can't compete with an imaginary chocolate man.

User fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 28, 2019

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
I read a few more things related to the Spectator's hiring practices -- I was kinda flip-flopping over whether it's a good idea or not, but the editor wrote an article in the Guardian about their hiring practices (https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/24/class-bias-media-cv-spectator-jeremy-corbyn-interns) and it seems to have worked really well for them, I think I'm kinda convinced. They're pretty seriously focussed on cutting out bias, and there doesnt seem to be any bullshit involved.

I like how specific and small the tasks are, and that there's a choice, and they cover a gamut, and they're all things I think I'd be really enthused to do if I were looking for a job in that industry - they aren't silly

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 1, 2019

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm going through old recruiter emails to save the places that I'd be ok working and following up in the future when it's time to move on from the new place and good god I am mad now that I did this take home and this company just......didn't respond to me. I spent 4 hours working on your stupid rear end takehome and you don't have the courtesy to even give me a callback to say "thanks but no thanks?" gently caress off.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm going through old recruiter emails to save the places that I'd be ok working and following up in the future when it's time to move on from the new place and good god I am mad now that I did this take home and this company just......didn't respond to me. I spent 4 hours working on your stupid rear end takehome and you don't have the courtesy to even give me a callback to say "thanks but no thanks?" gently caress off.

This is more common than getting a response for negative responses. By a large factor in my historical experience.

Blue Steel
Aug 19, 2009

GET YOUR BITCH ASS OUT OF E/N AND BACK TO TFLC
I get more annoyed by the intro emails from HR that require me spend an hour writing an essay about myself and then never hearing anything back.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Blue Steel posted:

I get more annoyed by the intro emails from HR that require me spend an hour writing an essay about myself and then never hearing anything back.
This was my GitHub experience, and it was incredibly frustrating. It was almost my HashiCorp experience, but they emailed me back six weeks later.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Steel posted:

I had to to do this for my most recent job and I didn't mind. I got really inebriated and wrote an obnoxious ode to myself. After sobering up and editing out any not-safe-for-work parts, I submitted it. Nobody read it.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I started at my new job recently and am definitely feeling impostor syndrome. I was hired in at a high level and my experience is focused in an area this company is lacking (much to their own admission). Everyone is excited by me starting here, they've all expressed excitement that I can come in and help them wrangle something they've been having difficulty with implementing well. I have experience doing what they're trying to do and have done it several times in past roles and am aware of the spikey pits and typical problems that will arise. But I definitely feel pangs of insecurity and unease, especially when they mention how the executives and higher ups know that I'm coming in and are excited to meet me. Everyone has been respectful as well and listens closely to what I say. I feel like I'm going to make bad decisions and screw this all up and they'll regret hiring me. Or that they didn't properly assess me. Or that I need experience with bigger products and better platforms and better teams instead of what I do have experience with.

I was frustrated in my last position because I was underpaid and had much more responsibility than my title suggested, and much of my time was spent cleaning up after someone more senior to me who didn't know what he was doing. He was a personal friend to the boss and was able to skate by on that relationship. My boss constantly diminished my role and tried to convince me that my pay was above market. I knew that wasn't true but somehow I may have internalized it. I have the proof of having several high level offers that were all big salary increases, but maybe it's because the market is ridiculous right now.

I seem to either be frustrated with being diminished and underpaid, or insecure and fearful of being an impostor. I probably need therapy instead of goons.

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 5, 2019

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sinten posted:

I started at my new job recently and am definitely feeling impostor syndrome. I was hired in at a high level and my experience is focused in an area this company is lacking (much to their own admission). Everyone is excited by me starting here, they've all expressed excitement that I can come in and help them wrangle something they've been having difficulty with implementing well. I have experience doing what they're trying to do and have done it several times in past roles and am aware of the spikey pits and typical problems that will arise. But I definitely feel pangs of insecurity and unease, especially when they mention how the executives and higher ups know that I'm coming in and are excited to meet me. Everyone has been respectful as well and listens closely to what I say. I feel like I'm going to make bad decisions and screw this all up and they'll regret hiring me. Or that they didn't properly assess me. Or that I need experience with bigger products and better platforms and better teams instead of what I do have experience with.

I was frustrated in my last position because I was underpaid and had much more responsibility than my title suggested, and much of my time was spent cleaning up after someone more senior to me who didn't know what he was doing. He was a personal friend to the boss and was able to skate by on that relationship. My boss constantly diminished my role and tried to convince me that my pay was above market. I knew that wasn't true but somehow I may have internalized it. I have the proof of having several high level offers that were all big salary increases, but maybe it's because the market is ridiculous right now.

I seem to either be frustrated with being diminished and underpaid, or insecure and fearful of being an impostor. I probably need therapy instead of goons.

Congratulations on finding a company with a healthy workplace and a big career opportunity for youself! Be kind, learn lots, help your teammates any way you can as you ramp up. You can get through that impostor syndrome and come out ahead for it. I do recommend therapy in that kind of situation - in 2012 it helped my career tons. just don't read my e/n thread about personal stuff

ninja edit: the mantra I used to help get past this is to think "the people at this company are not out to get me, they're out to get paid."

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Try to avoid putting expectations on yourself for how fast you should ramp up or how "productive" you should be in your early days. It's a really easy way to stress yourself out and that's not helpful to anyone especially when it's unlikely that your teammates expect you to instantly be at 100%.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
It's perfectly normal to feel some anxiety when you're in a position of much greater responsibility. If you're in a position where you're pushing near your current limits, you'll likely feel this. But it's the best way to grow, so go with it. Just remind yourself it's perfectly normal and do your best to stay cool. Be confident and also modest, but not too modest. Manage expectations, both your own and those of others. Work closely with your supervisor to make sure you're producing the expected outcomes, especially early on. Once you've got a bit of a track record that's less necessary.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Also, any learning organization is going to hire you to learn. You're not there to walk in like Rambo and just start loving poo poo up on day one. Use your beginner's mind, let your curiosity take over, learn organically, and the best places to add value will find you.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
And if the hiring was mistaken (it wasn’t), that’s their fuckup, not yours.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Does anybody have any insight into developer compensation in different areas of the EU? I've been getting some relocation offers recently, and I'm having a hard time evaluating the offered salary.

I always thought that the salaries in my country (Estonia) were really low compared to the rest of the EU (senior devs generaly top out at around ~70k/year), but I recently got an offer from another country for 100k/year, which seemed great, except after taxes, that's more or less the same as having a salary of 70k in Estonia, because I'm only taxed about 21% here. What's worse, the cost of living here is much lower than it is in western Europe, so even though my yearly salary would go up 30k before taxes, my actual purchasing power would decrease a lot if I took that offer.

Another crazy thing is that the 100k offer was the best I've gotten so far. I've been in touch with several companies from different countries (Sweden and Spain for example) who have straight up told me that the very best senior candidates get offers of around 60k max. That sounds like bullshit to me - you're clearly in desperate need of good developers, because why else would you be looking for people internationally, but you want to pay less than employers pay in my eastern European country? I guess I'm trying to figure out if these guys are actually just lowballing me, or if my understanding of EU salaries has been wrong all this time.

Does anybody know what the best areas for developer compensation are in the EU (accounting for taxes and cost of living)? Can Estonia really be one of them?

sunaurus fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 17, 2019

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

sunaurus posted:

Does anybody have any insight into developer compensation in different areas of the EU? I've been getting some relocation offers recently, and I'm having a hard time evaluating the offered salary.

I always though that the salaries in my country (Estonia) were really low compared to the rest of the EU (senior devs generaly top out at around ~70k/year), but I recently got an offer from another country for 100k/year, which seemed great, except after taxes, that's more or less the same as having a salary of 70k in Estonia, because I'm only taxed about 21% here. What's worse, the cost of living here is much lower than it is in western Europe, so even though my yearly salary would go up 30k before taxes, my actual purchasing power would decrease a lot if I took that offer.

Another crazy thing is that the 100k offer was the best I've gotten so far. I've been in touch with several companies from different countries (Sweden and Spain for example) who have straight up told me that the very best senior candidates get offers of around 60k max. That sounds like bullshit to me - you're clearly in desperate need of good developers, because why else would you be looking for people internationally, but you want to pay less than employers pay in my lovely eastern European country? I guess I'm trying to figure out if these guys are actually just lowballing me, or if my understanding of EU salaries has been wrong all this time.

Does anybody know what the best areas for developer compensation are in the EU (accounting for taxes and cost of living)? Can Estonia really be one of them?

Every time I’ve thought about moving to EU I looked at the salaries and decided to stay on my current pile of dirt. And I only make video game money.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Taking the Netherlands as a reference here: 60k for a senior developer is quite low, but you can't expect much more than 100k either. If you really want to make money you need to go the self-employed route. 100+ euros/hour probably sounds a bit better. Of course that means no benefits, so you pay for your own insurance, pension, etc.

zerofunk
Apr 24, 2004
Something to keep in mind is that relocation is a one-time expense. Companies won't worry about that quite as much if it helps them find the right talent. And while I'm definitely not an expert, I think Estonia is probably a better spot for software development than most other eastern European countries.

And while, 60k is on the low side, you'll see jobs advertised in that range in London too. If you want to make money, then I think Messyass's suggestion of finding a way to do your own thing is probably your best bet. Obviously easier said than done, and I think you may have posted before about doing that. Or you could work in finance in London. There is plenty of money there.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

zerofunk posted:

Something to keep in mind is that relocation is a one-time expense. Companies won't worry about that quite as much if it helps them find the right talent. And while I'm definitely not an expert, I think Estonia is probably a better spot for software development than most other eastern European countries.
I'm an American, but I watch international labor markets pretty closely because things do get outsourced from time to time, and if I was going to start a new European engineering team I'd probably put it in Tallinn

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The US has hilariously inflated tech salaries due to our VC and unicorn fetish (and yet none of the workers benefit), so don’t take it as a baseline.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

sunaurus posted:

I always thought that the salaries in my country (Estonia) were really low compared to the rest of the EU (senior devs generaly top out at around ~70k/year), but I recently got an offer from another country for 100k/year, which seemed great, except after taxes, that's more or less the same as having a salary of 70k in Estonia, because I'm only taxed about 21% here. What's worse, the cost of living here is much lower than it is in western Europe, so even though my yearly salary would go up 30k before taxes, my actual purchasing power would decrease a lot if I took that offer.

Another crazy thing is that the 100k offer was the best I've gotten so far. I've been in touch with several companies from different countries (Sweden and Spain for example) who have straight up told me that the very best senior candidates get offers of around 60k max. That sounds like bullshit to me - you're clearly in desperate need of good developers, because why else would you be looking for people internationally, but you want to pay less than employers pay in my eastern European country? I guess I'm trying to figure out if these guys are actually just lowballing me, or if my understanding of EU salaries has been wrong all this time.

I live in northern Sweden and 60k is pretty much the high end for senior devs here but it should be higher down south (Stockholm/Gothenburg mostly)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

sunaurus posted:

The best countries in the world to live:
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-best-countries-to-live-in-the-world.html
First the ranking:
Norway.
New Zealand.
Finland.
Switzerland.
Denmark.
Sweden.
United Kingdom.
Canada.
The Netherlands
Ireland

Or try: http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/best-countries-to-live-in/

These are all countries with low wage gaps and high taxes but low healthcare and schooling costs, paired with being safe with amazing infrastructure and whatever else the worldatlas measures by.
You basically trade in money for health, safety, life expectancy and a decent schooling for your kids not to forget very strong labour and consumer protection. With a low wage gap, I mean that the difference between the lowest pay and the highest pay is actually relatively low. This leads to an egalitarian society which is nice and stable to live in, in general your live would be low risk and predictable. So basically, you get what you pay the collective for. If you want super high income it comes with high inequality and risk which comes with an unsafe and unpleasant society. You could argue that this will not hurt you as you would be part of the happy few but how long would that be and what would happen if you get sick, have an accident and/or die? What would happen to your family?

So you do what I do as an IT worker in The Netherlands: You trade risk for income. I work as a freelance Java Developer which means I registered a company and are thus no longer eligible for a company pension, worker protection or an employer helping me with personal and professional development. Also I have some additional insurance fees I need to pay and all costs made for my company are part of my rates. Not working is no income at all, I have to save up for my periods of not working (technically it is not unemployment as I was never employed to begin with).With the job market for experienced software devs as it is, I consider the trade-off easy as I can land another role in no time and still select on things like commute (no more than 40 minutes one way), work environment, type of project and the branch my clients are in.

Some numbers: The rate for a Sr Java Developer with all the right buzzwords (Java 8+, Spring Boot, some flavour of cloud native, some no-SQL flavours and multi-year experience) goes from 75~100 an hour. Most of the projects I ended up in where at minimum three months but could continue multiple years, allowing me to bill around 1500~1700 hour yearly depending on how much time off I take. If you take no time off (you are an idiot) you could technically work around 2000 hours. The cost for running this one-person roadshow is about 10K yearly, most goes to insurance and other random expenses.

If you happen to have a EU passport, I consider being a one-person company hiring yourself out as a developer and based in the Netherlands being a super comfortable life. No, I do not have a huge yacht or three BMW's and a Ferrari in the garage but nobody does that from being an employee anyway. Besides, I cannot put my kids' booster seat in the Ferrari anyway.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Wow, I always assumed that I've been taking a substantial salary hit by not moving to a wealthier country in Europe, but it seems I was way off.

Keetron posted:

If you happen to have a EU passport, I consider being a one-person company hiring yourself out as a developer and based in the Netherlands being a super comfortable life.

This sounds awesome and I would love to do this, I already have a company registered, but I have no idea how to actually find work. Are you advertising yourself somehow?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Pollyanna posted:

hilariously inflated tech salaries
yet none of the workers benefit

uhh

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

sunaurus posted:

Wow, I always assumed that I've been taking a substantial salary hit by not moving to a wealthier country in Europe, but it seems I was way off.
Do not confuse the income of a freelancer with "salary". Salary is when you have a job that pays you a regular amount of money to show up. What you have as a freelance software developer is "income" or "cashflow" and that can vary wildly. I stabilize it by only using a little bit of what comes in and stashing away the rest for when nothing comes in and when I have to pay taxes and so on. Sometimes I feel like a real responsible adult!

sunaurus posted:

This sounds awesome and I would love to do this, I already have a company registered, but I have no idea how to actually find work. Are you advertising yourself somehow?
Pffff, how does one find work in any market? What I did was work in the field of consulting as a salaried employee for a while until I build a network and some savings, quit my job and basically stayed with the client where I was but instead of receiving a salary I send my former boss an invoice. Now I either use linkedin to advertise I am looking for a role, search for open positions or call recruiters, brokers and clients until I find something that could be a fit. Then one or two client interviews and then I am hired.
Because you do not live close to your market and not speak the local language, you are at a disadvantage. The first one you solve by applying to all open roles in the market you want to work in, get your relocation reimbursed and work salaried for a year or two to build a network and to get familiar with the regional marketplace, gameplay rules and local laws and regulations. The second one is becoming less important slowly, living here would help a lot.

Let me know if you need more help with landing a job in NL, I could be able to help out.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

sunaurus posted:

I get about £100k or thereabouts in Scotland. I guess you might say I’d be a senior based on years if experience, although my job title doesn’t say senior.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

return0 posted:

I get about £100k or thereabouts in Scotland. I guess you might say I’d be a senior based on years if experience, although my job title doesn’t say senior.

Too bad Scotland will no longer be in the EU in a few months. Oh well, it will be back in a few years anyway. Bring N-Ireland and London!

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I make around 85 in Norway, but I'm also not located in Oslo, where that number would be much higher.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

US salaries aren't inflated. If anything they've been subject to a history of suppression by the larger tech companies. It's really too bad that outside the US the market doesn't support higher wages

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Infinotize posted:

US salaries aren't inflated. If anything they've been subject to a history of suppression by the larger tech companies. It's really too bad that outside the US the market doesn't support higher wages

What makes you think this? I thought salaries in the US were linked to the current ongoing VC bubble?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

It's safer to say that tech salaries are great but workers are still getting a raw deal in comparison to the sweetheart equity packages for investors nowadays

https://steveblank.com/2019/04/10/startup-stock-options-why-a-good-deal-has-gone-bad/

Mega Comrade posted:

What makes you think this? I thought salaries in the US were linked to the current ongoing VC bubble?
There's a number of bubbles happening simultaneously. In NYC, it's the bubble around cryptocurrency startups, hedge funds, and fintech companies driving up competition for good devs/SREs. The unicorn consumer product thing is more of a Bay Area phenomenon.

It's also worth noting that the VC bubble is deflating just a tiny bit and investment is down a little bit overall versus a high in Q2 '18:
https://news.crunchbase.com/news/venture-capital-in-q1-2019-the-world-pulls-back-from-record-highs/

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 20, 2019

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Engineers make companies more money than they cost. The world can't get enough capable engineers. There is no end in sight to software eating the world and engineer supply does not meet demand.

Are lawyers, doctors, financiers overpaid too? What does overpaid mean?

This guy will harp on this more often and better than I can https://twitter.com/patio11/status/936636114319826945

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess I just don’t believe the dotcom crash won’t happen again. I need to be prepared to lose all of my job opportunities at any time, because there’s no such thing as job security these days.