Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Anti piracy ads literally do that and I'm pretty sure they make people pirate more out of spite.

Idk most people i know dont pirate because VIRUSES. I feel like thats true if you have no idea what your doing or are just plain dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ryonguy posted:

lmfao multiple developers have shown that pirated copies outnumber legit ones on the reg but yeah :filez: are harmless

jfc this is like reading how people on 4chan think copyright works

I've never heard a claim even remotely this high.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

One very polish stained toungue right there.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

pseudanonymous posted:

I've never heard a claim even remotely this high.

I know I've seen that claim from devs but it's been a while (like over 5 years), and the impacts of piracy to a given developer are going to be near-random due to the genre, quality (real or otherwise), market saturation, DRM unbreakability, platform, etc. Saying piracy has no effect is dumb, as is saying it has a huge effect, because the particular entity impacted will change and I'm not sure if there's a way to reliably translate pirated copies into theoretical purchased copies.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Empress Brosephine posted:

Sorry I meant having to download 200 gigs from dodgy 150kbps hosting sites

Uhm, this is not how it's done at all.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I downloaded like 45 seasons of Days Of Our alives in 6 hrs. It was 1 tb

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Okay, I'll bite. What the hell did you need 45 seasons of Days of Our Lives for?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Must be for some kind of "enhanced interrogation"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Skippy McPants posted:

Okay, I'll bite. What the hell did you need 45 seasons of Days of Our Lives for?

Media completionism is a heavy burden

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm more curious about employee theft; workers are payed so loving little that I'm amazed spontaneous organized crime rings don't pop up in Walmarts around the continent.

They do. 75% of loss prevention is watching the workers.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I downloaded like 45 seasons of Days Of Our alives in 6 hrs. It was 1 tb

Six minutes of this every episode.

~300 episodes a season. 1800 minutes. 30 hours of just the theme song per season.

For 45 seasons.

56 days, 6 hours of that theme.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 16, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
<Double Post>

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Publicly-funded models of entertainment don't exist I scream as I send my hard-earned dollars to Belle Delphine so I can gargle a GamerGirl™'s dirty asswater.

Sure, buddy. :unsmith:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zachack posted:

I know I've seen that claim from devs but it's been a while (like over 5 years), and the impacts of piracy to a given developer are going to be near-random due to the genre, quality (real or otherwise), market saturation, DRM unbreakability, platform, etc. Saying piracy has no effect is dumb, as is saying it has a huge effect, because the particular entity impacted will change and I'm not sure if there's a way to reliably translate pirated copies into theoretical purchased copies.

I'm just assuming that they know very little about computers, the internet, video games, and buying habits, and are also lying through their teeth.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

JustJeff88 posted:

GOG figured this out years ago while Steam and other big providers constantly makes themselves out to be the aggrieved party while counting their billions.
What are you talking about? Gaben himself said that piracy was really a service problem. His attitude towards was just, "well it's happening because pirates are actually providing a better service, not really that pirated games are free".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Cicero posted:

What are you talking about? Gaben himself said that piracy was really a service problem. His attitude towards was just, "well it's happening because pirates are actually providing a better service, not really that pirated games are free".

Look at this shill for big Steam.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just assuming that they know very little about computers, the internet, video games, and buying habits, and are also lying through their teeth.

No, it was more like "we sold 10k copies of our game and there are 30k high scores from different users". You're being really weird about this.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Zachack posted:

No, it was more like "we sold 10k copies of our game and there are 30k high scores from different users". You're being really weird about this.

Even if it were true that having 30k high scores from 10k copies implied 20k pirate users (plenty of confounds that would suggest, no, probably not for instance someone creating multiple users, reselling the game which isn't pirating but also not an original sale, etc), that says nothing about if they would have actually purchased the game if they weren't able to pirate it.

Of course as has been mentioned, the biggest determiner of if the masses will pirate is the price point and ease of access. That's where a platform like steam is able to do well even though it has built in DRM, they have pretty good price points (relatively speaking at least) and it is trivial to use the platform. People ultimately will pay for content if you make it convenient enough for them to do so.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Zachack posted:

It just seems like these game companies have various incentives to exaggerate the amount of piracy and then conflate pirated copies with lost sales. I honestly wouldn't put it past a company like EA to spend time writing some code so they'd generate "users" and "high scores" so they could say "we sold 100k copies but there are 120k high scores". I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't even really play games anymore and so I just read about EA and Ubisoft antics 2nd and 3rd hand, but they're capitalist companies, I expect them to lie when it's in their economic interest.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Zachack posted:

Who are you quoting in this post? What game was a 2:1 ratio like that?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

pseudanonymous posted:

It just seems like these game companies have various incentives to exaggerate the amount of piracy and then conflate pirated copies with lost sales. I honestly wouldn't put it past a company like EA to spend time writing some code so they'd generate "users" and "high scores" so they could say "we sold 100k copies but there are 120k high scores". I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't even really play games anymore and so I just read about EA and Ubisoft antics 2nd and 3rd hand, but they're capitalist companies, I expect them to lie when it's in their economic interest.

I'm with you mate, speaking as someone who owns too many games such that he has choice paralysis yet continues to be a rapid "bargain hunter." Given the massive growth of the game industry in just a few years and the phenomenal wealth of assets of places like EA and Ubisoft, I'm not going to feel sorry for them in the same way that I won't feel sorry if some rich capitalist prick were to get his leg bitten off by a shark... he can probably just buy another leg with the money that other people earned for him. EA is notorious as one of the worst companies to work for as well as being one of if not the least player friendly, and no matter how much they make they are going to act the aggrieved party if they think that someone is "stealing" from them, speaks ill of them or expects them to pay taxes and/or pay their employees something vaguely close to a fair salary. I'm much more charitable towards tiny studios and one-man bands, with the exception of massive loving wankers like Notch, because I respect someone who just wants to make a decent living from making something that people love. However, I try to remind myself that there are still some decent people who do things for the love of the game, like Andrew Spinks who made Terraria. He had an idea, it caught absolute fire and rather than sell out or nickle-and-dime people for DLC he keeps working on more and more free content for the game because he's made millions and just wants to make his creation even better. He's still rolling in money and, even though I am an opponent of excessive wealth in all of its forms, perhaps I have to settle for someone who realises that enough dosh is enough and does things for passion rather than adding zeroes.

Mind you, Terraria has another major patch coming and, knowing my luck, Re-Logic will add loot crates acquired by micro-payments.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Many, many people: "I could pay money for something, but since I can literally get it for free for very little effort I won't."

Brain geniuses: "Clearly this is a problem of distribution and cost [writes ten page essay about how EA is bad so therefor indie devs should stop complaining about piracy]."

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Raldikuk posted:

Even if it were true that having 30k high scores from 10k copies implied 20k pirate users (plenty of confounds that would suggest, no, probably not for instance someone creating multiple users, reselling the game which isn't pirating but also not an original sale, etc), that says nothing about if they would have actually purchased the game if they weren't able to pirate it.
Yes, that's basically what I said earlier. But at indie levels even a 1% conversion can matter. That's also why regional pricing (and eventually, regional locks) exists.

https://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/03/22/indie-developer-sells-300000-copies-game-finds-1-million-pirated-copies/

https://www.theverge.com/2013/8/22/4647240/the-indie-game-that-144-android-users-bought-and-50000-pirated

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ryonguy posted:

Many, many people: "I could pay money for something, but since I can literally get it for free for very little effort I won't."

Brain geniuses: "Clearly this is a problem of distribution and cost [writes ten page essay about how EA is bad so therefor indie devs should stop complaining about piracy]."

Yes, because it turned out piracy massively dropped as services like steam and Netflix made paying for things easy and affordable

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

ryonguy posted:

Digital media is easy to copy and always will be. As long as the media sits locally in some kind of cache or RAM at some point on hardware that is physically accessible by the user, it is impossible to truly protect it. DRM works to stop casual piracy but does little to nothing at all to prevent unauthorized copies from existing, the most effective thing DRM does is prevent people who legitimately buy (well, license) media from holding any kind of control over how it is used or stored. There isn't a technological solution, the only options that have a possibility of working to prevent piracy to a significant degree are legislation and/or litigation. Both inevitably lead to bad outcomes for everyone.

Streaming non-linear media like games is going to be pretty impenetrable though.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5AxnNbC-oM

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.greenheartgames.com/201...ause-of-piracy/

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

JustJeff88 posted:

EA is notorious as one of the worst companies to work for.

Negative. Say what you will about about their business practices, EA is consistently rated as one of the best games companies to work for. Pay is great, diversity is high, work/life balance is respected and teams work well together (other than the Anthem situation).

It only sucks to work at EA if you’re the tortured genius dev who wants to build your creative vision by yourself with no collaboration.

Feel free to say whatever you want about SURPRISE MECHANICS, business models and legacy game support though.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ryonguy posted:

Actual people irl: "netflix lets me get media hassle free in one place when I want it, so I'll throw :10bux: at them because pirating is a little bit tedious."

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It also ignores that consumer purchasing decisions involve a lot more variables than just direct benefit.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

suck my woke dick posted:

Actual people irl: "netflix lets me get media hassle free in one place when I want it, so I'll throw :10bux: at them because pirating is a little bit tedious."

actual media companies: "Let's introduce hassle again, we'll make more money this way!"

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

suck my woke dick posted:

Yup. Same reason itunes massively reduced music piracy when it came out.

It was easier to get good quality rips for a couple bucks than to spend the time to pirate them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah, Gaben was absolutely right about that. A real problem with game stores before Steam really took off was that they may or may not have what you wanted at all. GameStop had started GameStopping pretty hard by that point. Meanwhile if you misplaced your physical media the game would potentially be unplayable. I knew people who did go out and buy every game they wanted to play but then cracked them anyway as they got sick of shuffling CDs around. Once high speed internet became common it was just plain easier to download games.

Of course then you had the problems of malicious software sometimes being packaged with them, sneaky copy protection that would break the game in funny ways, and the cavalcade of spyware that came along with the torrent software. Some really terrible games were also coming out at that point so people very much wanted to play it a bit before they bought it. Then Steam came along and was like "mega convenient, just buy it once and you can download it forever. Automatic updates too! We have just like loving everything." Steam is just so easy to use. A lot of pirating was also people wanting to play old games that stores weren't stocking anymore or relive childhood nostalgia. In other cases it was something that mostly flew under the radar when it was actually released ending up with interest but then, well, good luck finding a copy of something that only sold 5,000 physical copies.

Then GOG happened. Similar thing, really; buy it once, goes in your library, download it forever. No shuffling CDs around and no dealing with the potential hazards of torrenting. Just "hey, that game you want to play again from 25 years ago? Here it is, ten bucks, no hassle."

And now Steam is all like hey what you want? We got it. Big AAA games? Yup, got those. Indie games made by two guys in a garage? loving right, over there. Puzzle games? Here's like a thousand of them. City builders? Entire loving shelves.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 17, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

For a good part of the 90s and 2000s, cracking games you bought out of convenience was pretty normal.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
These days torrenting a game before buying it is pretty normal too, because there have been a lot of $60 stinkers and people are tired of being treated as a slush fund.

No Man's Sky, anyone?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's marginally less convenient to buy then get a refund, but there's a much greater incentive to include malware in cracked software these days. It's a risk I'd rather not take, though if i was a jobless teenager again maybe I'd weigh that differently.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

These days torrenting a game before buying it is pretty normal too, because there have been a lot of $60 stinkers and people are tired of being treated as a slush fund.

No Man's Sky, anyone?

YouTube playthroughs essentially stole that function though. Way less effort to pop on a video to check out a game rather than all the hassle of torrenting, installing, troubleshooting.

Funny enough for me, the torrent to buy model was for Warhammer game books, because they were same price as AAA games and could be hot garbage. It's also pathetic that Gamesworkshop, by the time I had quit the game still couldn't figure how to do an ebook correctly while fans had meticulously annotated and indexed pdfs out there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SCheeseman posted:

It's marginally less convenient to buy then get a refund, but there's a much greater incentive to include malware in cracked software these days. It's a risk I'd rather not take, though if i was a jobless teenager again maybe I'd weigh that differently.

Yeah, it's not a matter of "if" you torrent something dirty it's a matter of "when" these days. Granted the internet is also a cesspit of tracking cookies and bullshit these days in general so yeah.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You'd think corporations would realise that people are willing to pay for convenience. It's kind of the entire business model of Amazon.

Piracy is also extremely common with anime because it's traditionally impossible to get outside of Japan unless you pay hefty import fees or get very lucky, hence why there's now services like Crunchyroll and Animelab trying to be a profitable alternative to piracy. And not much better in Japan given DVD box sets are traditionally absurdly overpriced to target a very small audience of sad nerds with disposable income.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, it's not a matter of "if" you torrent something dirty it's a matter of "when" these days. Granted the internet is also a cesspit of tracking cookies and bullshit these days in general so yeah.

What? Lol maybe yall are just old or something but downloading cracked stuff is just as safe as it's always been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Piracy is also extremely common with anime because it's traditionally impossible to get outside of Japan unless you pay hefty import fees or get very lucky, hence why there's now services like Crunchyroll and Animelab trying to be a profitable alternative to piracy.
And wasn't Crunchy like basically a pirate youtube of anime that went legit ?