Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

World War Mammories posted:

yeah I will also defend isshin. there's no friede-style seven million attacks in a row bullshit - okay, well, let me rephrase. isshin does do like seven attacks in a row, but sekiro gives you the tools to actually participate in the process, viz. the parrying system, instead of having to back off and watch the nonsense like you do with blackflame friede. consequently, if you know isshin inside and out you can straight up wreck him in a couple minutes without ever easing off the gas. even the best player can't do the same with friede.

After the pointless first phase that you have to go through like a chore. Also he has three life bars.

Y'know, the actual worst parts of Friede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
The worst part of friede is that it's three separate movesets altogether. Phase 2 ss does get crazy but if you can beat phase 2 you can beat phase 3. It's a much more organic flow imo

As for the pointless first phase, that's a victory lap of the midterm before you go right into the final exam. It feels very in theme

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Basic Chunnel posted:

Rolling into the boreal valley with my dex-specced katana / mail breaker man and I remember these pontiff knights being a lot more fun to fight when I was a pyro dork

the pontiff knights are the wispy ghost-looking ones with nearly infinite stamina and an attack sequence that doesn't end right? the only way i've found to deal with them is to get a big weapon that gives hyperarmor and attack into them and use the hyperarmor to interrupt their attacks and force them into a stun. i have no idea what you'd do with a 1H weapon that can't interrupt them

more than any of the other games, DS3 seems to really reward playing with a 2H weapon that can interrupt enemy attacks. it felt like so many of the pain in the rear end monsters had basically unlimited stamina, i don't know where you'd find time to poke them with a 1H if you had to wait out their attack pattern

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It's several phases and takes a while to get to the part you're having trouble with. If the game checkpointed after the pointless first phase and Isshin only had two health bars, he'd be fine. As it is, he loving sucks, just like Friede sucks.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Sure, they could have removed geni with a checkpoint or something and it would have made ss more universally palatable. I do love clowning on that poor bastard though and always get a kick out him randomly murdering me in two seconds if I get sloppy

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I just picked up the cinders mod — started as a cleric and played past Iudex, then hosed around in Firelink for a while. After a very brief bit of play, I like that spells don’t cost stamina. Fighting Iudex required managing both stamina and focus separately, which was interesting. I’m super rusty, but having unlimited out of combat healing and a fast, replenishing AoE ranged attack seems pretty bonkers. It makes it seem like the mod clearly intends you to play a caster of some kind, which is fine, because I typically prefer casters anyway.

How is weapon balance across broad categories in Cinders? I typically like spears in DS 1 and 2, for example, but found them really lacking in DS 3. Has that sort of thing been changed in Cinders, or do weapon types feel mostly the same?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Isshin is great because the first phase is an absolute chump that feels good to steamroll, Sword phase you can just stay up in his grill because he doesn't have any day attacks, and lightning is easy because it's basically a free deathblow. Only difficult one to me was first spear, because I had a hard time reacting to his jump back attack.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Heithinn Grasida posted:

How is weapon balance across broad categories in Cinders? I typically like spears in DS 1 and 2, for example, but found them really lacking in DS 3. Has that sort of thing been changed in Cinders, or do weapon types feel mostly the same?

It seems like something the mod author takes seriously, but is kinda hard to comment on because of the extremely frequent updates. Try out whatever weapon you have access to, it might work out for you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I just picked up the cinders mod — started as a cleric and played past Iudex, then hosed around in Firelink for a while. After a very brief bit of play, I like that spells don’t cost stamina. Fighting Iudex required managing both stamina and focus separately, which was interesting. I’m super rusty, but having unlimited out of combat healing and a fast, replenishing AoE ranged attack seems pretty bonkers. It makes it seem like the mod clearly intends you to play a caster of some kind, which is fine, because I typically prefer casters anyway.

spells not costing stamina must be new in the current version because it’s definitely not in what I’m playing. that sounds really interesting though and I think spells costing stamina was a mistake in vanilla dark souls 2 and 3. Any melee range spell like soul greatsword is competing with just smacking something with your weapon for similar damage, often less commitment and no use of a limited resource, so not having to spend stamina to use them would make them a much more interesting option.

But if he does that I think he should maybe cut down on the base FP regen. 5 fp per second with a spell tool out is bats.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I've never tried a dagger build in these games. Hell, I've never used a dagger against an enemy. I've done pretty much nothing but strength builds and magic builds in DS1/2/Bloodborne.

I'm about to start my DS3 journey - are dual daggers going to be good enough in PvE for a kinda bad player who prefers to roll through poo poo than use a shield on his first playthrough, or should I get some experience at the game before trying them out?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Daggers are great in DS3, I say go for it. Also, they're so early that you can test 'em for three zones and up to +6 easily, then switch if they don't work out after all.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Whalley posted:

I've never tried a dagger build in these games. Hell, I've never used a dagger against an enemy. I've done pretty much nothing but strength builds and magic builds in DS1/2/Bloodborne.

I'm about to start my DS3 journey - are dual daggers going to be good enough in PvE for a kinda bad player who prefers to roll through poo poo than use a shield on his first playthrough, or should I get some experience at the game before trying them out?

just remember that DS3 doesn't do power stances, so only the paired weapon sets (like the gothard twin blades) will function like actual dual wielding. you might be better off with something like a dagger and a buckler, so that you can get the massive riposte damage bonus that daggers offer. i have no experience with fighting bosses with daggers though - i know it's technically possible because everything is technically possible in DS3 but i don't know how much fun it'll be to fight bosses using daggers.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s a paired dagger set early on (past butcher knife lady in Road of Sacrifices)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Thanks y'all. I haven't yet decided if I'm gunna go knives or spear/pike, but knives sound like they'll be easy enough to test out, and if I start with the thief, I can always test the dagger for the first area/first boss, then level up STR until I'm ready for whatever spear I want.

Alternatively I could start with the dude who has a spear, but I'd rather start with a bow and change my mind later than start without a bow just to use some of the early game knives you can find.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

After the pointless first phase that you have to go through like a chore. Also he has three life bars.

Y'know, the actual worst parts of Friede.

okay, I can buy that having to chump genichiro every time gets old. but beyond gameplay, the thematic continuity is really strong, what with it being your third time fighting the guy, same place as the first time where he (presumably) chumped you in turn. it's a heck of a reminder of how you've gotten way better as a player when you can just wreck the guy repeatedly. it's me, i'm the sekiro apologist

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Whalley posted:

Thanks y'all. I haven't yet decided if I'm gunna go knives or spear/pike, but knives sound like they'll be easy enough to test out, and if I start with the thief, I can always test the dagger for the first area/first boss, then level up STR until I'm ready for whatever spear I want.

Alternatively I could start with the dude who has a spear, but I'd rather start with a bow and change my mind later than start without a bow just to use some of the early game knives you can find.

You might also enjoy the quarterstaff weapon class the modder added, y'never know.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

King of Solomon posted:

You might also enjoy the quarterstaff weapon class the modder added, y'never know.
I love quarterstaffs so much, but my computer sucks and imma be playing this on PS4 :negative:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Whalley posted:

I love quarterstaffs so much, but my computer sucks and imma be playing this on PS4 :negative:

Oh whoops, mixed you up with the guy asking about weapon balance in the mod. :pseudo:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I never played a Souls game before, and now I'm hooked on DS3 on PC. After a couple of restarts getting the hang of things, I settled on a Knight with a Fire Gem. I'm SL56 now, just killed Wolnir, and I got some questions that I still haven't found answers to:

1) Is there any particular reason I should care to be embered, aside from engaging in PVP? I've never used any of my embers, I just get boss charges, and I've only had maybe 6 or so invasions. I don't really care about PVP right now, I'm mostly playing the game to chill, though it's hilarious when I'm embered and people don't realize Vordt's will wreck them. I also don't really feel the need for the HP boost, for that matter.

2) I've been using Vordt's Great Hammer since I could make it, since the allure of frostbiting things to death as well as smashing them was too great. It's kinda getting boring now, in that I got stacks of weapons I'll never use. After reading some pages back, looks like I'm not yet to the point where I find replacements.

3) How far into the game am I if I just killed Wolnir? I unlocked the painted place/reached the Cathedral of the Deep but didn't go in yet, and literally came here to post before walking past Wolnir to see where that takes me.

4) What's the deal with "SL metas" and poo poo like that? Am I screwing myself out of PVP/co-op if I grind my way to SL200 or something? I kinda want to have a ton of levels so I can play with all the stuff and wear all the armor; the thought of NG+++++++ with a ton of gear I can swap through for different playstyles is way more appealing to me than alts. Or is the idea it's more badass trying to get to some highass NG+ level while still SL120?

5) Holy poo poo, this game is really about just killing poo poo/grinding/PVPing/making whatever gear you want/doing whatever is fun for you, huh? :allears:

e: also is there any way to trade gear to your alts besides having someone help you mule? cause I may end up doing that after figuring out what i like the most, but in theory I'll Stop Wasting Time On Vidya Games before then

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 16, 2019

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

1) No.

3) About halfway, not including DLC.

4) Don't worry about it, but know that since matchmaking is based on level if you go much past 120 you will have a very hard time finding matches for the obvious reason that very few players ever go to those levels or NG++ and beyond.

5) Uh, yes I guess???

6) No.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I find the extra HP is pretty great from being embered, but I get what you mean if you're just chillin and want to play without being invaded/interrupted. You still might want to keep embers on your quick-action slot or whatever it's called since using one will heal you to full. It can come in handy if you're out of Estus or just need a really big (but kinda slow) heal.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Finally managed to beat the Nameless King after dozens of attempts. In the end the thing that made the difference for me, broadly speaking, was to learn which of his attacks can be punished and which should simply be avoided. Specifically this means keeping away from him and waiting for him to do a big lunge, then hitting him once and getting away. If he's just walking about, throw a kukri at him.

This was with Vordt's Big Frosty Mace, so you can probably do more than one attack with something fast.

I'm almost all the way through the game and I haven't found a weapon that clicks with me nearly as much as Vordt's mace, though the greatsword and dragon tooth have been OK. I have 10 dexterity at level 100 or so, so I'm fairly limited in what I can try out, but the combination of a huge attack area, big damage, and occasionally even-bigger-damage-from-frostbite is hard to beat.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Profaned Greatsword is a fun STR weapon to play with if you like smashing things and sending them flying, making it very easy to stunlock most PvE enemies.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hi gently caress what I said earlier, I just learned about the Drang Hammers, and I don't know why any other weapon is in the game. I'm just gunna roll with whatever until I find them (I hope they're not end game...) and then get my drumsticks out and fuckin' never stop hammering.

e: Apparently all the Drang weapons are designed to ape powerstancing? And 'drang' is because of 'drangelic'???? And there's a twin spears too?????? Oh man I can't wait to start getting these weapons.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jul 16, 2019

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Dude, the Drang Hammers are the loving best, excellent choice. I've played with them for most of my first run and didn't regret a second of it, they have one of the most versatile and fun movesets you can get and the damage is also quite excellent.

There's a specific dual-wield weapon for almost every class, like the two Drang weapons. You know about the daggers, there's also a Short Sword one (pretty drat good), an Ultra Greatsword one (second DLC only, sadly), all but one Fist weapons, Katanas, three Curved Swords, and Axes.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Freaking Crumbum posted:

the pontiff knights are the wispy ghost-looking ones with nearly infinite stamina and an attack sequence that doesn't end right? the only way i've found to deal with them is to get a big weapon that gives hyperarmor and attack into them and use the hyperarmor to interrupt their attacks and force them into a stun. i have no idea what you'd do with a 1H weapon that can't interrupt them

more than any of the other games, DS3 seems to really reward playing with a 2H weapon that can interrupt enemy attacks. it felt like so many of the pain in the rear end monsters had basically unlimited stamina, i don't know where you'd find time to poke them with a 1H if you had to wait out their attack pattern
I end up Bow cheesing them (ranged attacks do seem to stun them). Throwing daggers might work but they’re expensive. And there are so many of them, it takes like 10 mins at least to cheese through the first three on the path out from the bonfire

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Simply Simon posted:

Dude, the Drang Hammers are the loving best, excellent choice. I've played with them for most of my first run and didn't regret a second of it, they have one of the most versatile and fun movesets you can get and the damage is also quite excellent.

There's a specific dual-wield weapon for almost every class, like the two Drang weapons. You know about the daggers, there's also a Short Sword one (pretty drat good), an Ultra Greatsword one (second DLC only, sadly), all but one Fist weapons, Katanas, three Curved Swords, and Axes.

The Sellsword Twinblades are pretty much bar none the highest DPS weapon in the game. Speedrunners use them.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I never played a Souls game before, and now I'm hooked on DS3 on PC. After a couple of restarts getting the hang of things, I settled on a Knight with a Fire Gem. I'm SL56 now, just killed Wolnir, and I got some questions that I still haven't found answers to:

1) Is there any particular reason I should care to be embered, aside from engaging in PVP? I've never used any of my embers, I just get boss charges, and I've only had maybe 6 or so invasions. I don't really care about PVP right now, I'm mostly playing the game to chill, though it's hilarious when I'm embered and people don't realize Vordt's will wreck them. I also don't really feel the need for the HP boost, for that matter.

2) I've been using Vordt's Great Hammer since I could make it, since the allure of frostbiting things to death as well as smashing them was too great. It's kinda getting boring now, in that I got stacks of weapons I'll never use. After reading some pages back, looks like I'm not yet to the point where I find replacements.

3) How far into the game am I if I just killed Wolnir? I unlocked the painted place/reached the Cathedral of the Deep but didn't go in yet, and literally came here to post before walking past Wolnir to see where that takes me.

4) What's the deal with "SL metas" and poo poo like that? Am I screwing myself out of PVP/co-op if I grind my way to SL200 or something? I kinda want to have a ton of levels so I can play with all the stuff and wear all the armor; the thought of NG+++++++ with a ton of gear I can swap through for different playstyles is way more appealing to me than alts. Or is the idea it's more badass trying to get to some highass NG+ level while still SL120?

5) Holy poo poo, this game is really about just killing poo poo/grinding/PVPing/making whatever gear you want/doing whatever is fun for you, huh? :allears:

e: also is there any way to trade gear to your alts besides having someone help you mule? cause I may end up doing that after figuring out what i like the most, but in theory I'll Stop Wasting Time On Vidya Games before then

1. if you want to use the in-game summons, you have to be embered. there's a few things (outfits, emotes) that you can only get by actually interacting with the in-game summons, so if you ignore them completely you'll miss some stuff. if you're not a completionist that probably doesn't matter tho

2. up by the graves with infinite zombies in the cathedral there's the Executioner's Greatsword which is my personal favorite 2H weapon. if you're bored of Vordt's give that a try (although you could use Vordt's for the whole game and be fine)

3. if you haven't beaten the boss of the cathedral yet, you won't be able to go much past wolnir. you should probably do cath next

4. if you aren't going to be embered / do PVP in the first place, the metas won't matter to you at all. they're not really meant for a first time character anyway since there's a fair amount of min-maxing you want to do if you're really trying to compete, and your first character you learn the game with will likely not be built perfectly. if you really want to keep using your first character, there's an NPC in the cathedral that will let you completely re-spec your build, but it costs a specific resource to use

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Promethium posted:

Profaned Greatsword is a fun STR weapon to play with if you like smashing things and sending them flying, making it very easy to stunlock most PvE enemies.

Hm, tried it and it didn't seem that good compared to the Big Frosty Mace.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

BFM is ridiculous and can shred the entire game easily, there is no need to upgrade from it or replace it

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Old post but

Black Griffon posted:

Snow at least can be evocative and aesthetic, especially contrasted with blood and battle. Swamps are confoundingly boring and I though everyone had figured that out ten years ago.

As a botanist I really like swamps irl, the ones round here have so many interesting things, like pitcher plants and all manner of sneaky parasite orchids.

They do always suck in games though but maybe that's it?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Swampy swamplands in RE7 is a cool aesthetic for a horror game

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The swamp levels in Donkey Kong Country 2 are my personal highlight of the game, the aesthetic is really mellow and nice, while the platforming is 100% on point, jumping from giant reed to giant reed, over dragonflies and crocodile heads, it's really loving good.

Also, I thought the swamp in Sekiro looked amazing and it was mercifully short and you could avoid the actual swampy party almost immediately.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

The swamp levels in Donkey Kong Country 2 are my personal highlight of the game, the aesthetic is really mellow and nice, while the platforming is 100% on point, jumping from giant reed to giant reed, over dragonflies and crocodile heads, it's really loving good.

WaltherFeng posted:

Swampy swamplands in RE7 is a cool aesthetic for a horror game

True enough. And yeah the DKC2 swamp owned.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

A Sometimes Food posted:

Old post but

As a botanist I really like swamps irl, the ones round here have so many interesting things, like pitcher plants and all manner of sneaky parasite orchids.

They do always suck in games though but maybe that's it?

I think a real swamp that is dense and full of interesting plants would be difficult to do well in video games cause of like graphics and stuff. Until recently I guess. Same problem with jungles.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hey pals, just wanted to say that I just beat Sister Friede on my third try! :)

Used gold pine resin on my axe and a Lothric greatshield and got help from Gael. This fight was nothing compared to the Abyss watchers, Pontiff Syulvahn or the Princes. Those took me days and dozens of tried to beat.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

axolotl farmer posted:

Hey pals, just wanted to say that I just beat Sister Friede on my third try! :)

Used gold pine resin on my axe and a Lothric greatshield and got help from Gael. This fight was nothing compared to the Abyss watchers, Pontiff Syulvahn or the Princes. Those took me days and dozens of tried to beat.

Congrats.

Princes are such a great fight. The two phase thing isn’t even annoying. Same with Abyss Watchers. Probably my two favorite fights in the game.

Last boss of Ringed City is pretty cool, too.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
I often wonder just how much of my experience with this game is colored by my leaning on Sorcery in my first playthrough (and my tendency to solo bosses).

Friede stage 1 was my least favorite, because her invisibility meant I constantly had to be in her face. Once you figure it out though it's not nearly so bad.
Stage 2 is fun and allows you to do multi hits on both bosses if you manage to get your aim just right
Stage 3 is absolutely great as you dodge long range attacks, avoid close range ones, and try to get the right opportunity to blast her in return.

But I could see how people would hate Stage 3 as a melee-only character. Maybe Friede was made for sorcerers?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tempora Mutantur posted:

You are going to get basically no pvp/co-op if you go that high. Almost nobody actually does high NG cycles anyways, and those who do often don't level highly because they're looking for a challenge.
Even reaching 120 requires a fair bit of grinding, a lot of the people who are looking to do invasions don't go any higher than 90. 120 is more for 1v1 duel types who mostly hang out in the undead arena and sometimes pontiff sulyvahn fight clubs.

You can probably get a bit of action in gank city if you summon or dried finger at sl 200, but that's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Soul Reaver posted:

I often wonder just how much of my experience with this game is colored by my leaning on Sorcery in my first playthrough (and my tendency to solo bosses).

Friede stage 1 was my least favorite, because her invisibility meant I constantly had to be in her face. Once you figure it out though it's not nearly so bad.
Stage 2 is fun and allows you to do multi hits on both bosses if you manage to get your aim just right
Stage 3 is absolutely great as you dodge long range attacks, avoid close range ones, and try to get the right opportunity to blast her in return.

But I could see how people would hate Stage 3 as a melee-only character. Maybe Friede was made for sorcerers?

I didn't find her that bad as a pure melee character. Nameless King was way harder.