Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
some kind of gross joke about heavy flow goes here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Zak S poo poo his pants at Chick-fil-A on the last day of Gen Con '17

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

EdithUpwards posted:

Zak S -heavily- poo poo his pants at Chik-fil-A on the last day of Gen Con '17, -flowing- out of his pants and onto the floor.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sampatrick posted:

Tolkien's flow is clearly outmatched by Biggie, Doom, Andre, Eminem, and tons of others; he's not even in the conversation about who the best MC of all time is.

Do we use last names now? LL Cool J.R.R., please.

I'm going back to Arda, Arda, Arda
I'm going back to Arda . . . I don't think so

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

homullus posted:

Do we use last names now? LL Cool J.R.R., please.

I'm going back to Arda, Arda, Arda
I'm going back to Arda . . . I don't think so

better than colin quinn's version

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Liquid Communism posted:

Tolkien was trying to write them like the Eddas. They need to be read aloud.

This is especially the case for The Silmarillion. On the page, it has a reputation for being inaccessible and dry, but it absolutely comes alive when read aloud. Thankfully, the audiobook version is one of the best audio adaptations I've heard in two decades of listening to the drat things, I can't recommend it highly enough.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo

Kestral posted:

This is especially the case for The Silmarillion. On the page, it has a reputation for being inaccessible and dry, but it absolutely comes alive when read aloud. Thankfully, the audiobook version is one of the best audio adaptations I've heard in two decades of listening to the drat things, I can't recommend it highly enough.

But wait till after the prime day strike is over to go grab that at audible, friends.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Toshimo posted:

Ugh, fine.

When I get home tonight, I'm gonna fire up the shitpost forge, lower my hauberk, and start the Let's Read Dragonlance thread and you can all spend the next 3 years making me regret it.

Yesssssssssssss

share a link

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

EdithUpwards posted:

This sentence has poor flow and doesn't go anywhere. It's very meandering and I have trouble focusing on it.

Let's get it down to the actual essentials.

Zak S's pants, Gen Con '17.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Where did that come from, by the way?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Zak's butthole

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Azran posted:

....trick question?

poop comes from the butt

e:fb

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Azran posted:

A bunch of LARPers saw him skulking near the door, trailing diarrhea from a pants leg. If Chick-fil-a were open on Sunday, things might have been different.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Far West is absolutely coming any day now.

Also no more updates on the Kickstarter, where you know, people can comment:

http://intothefarwest.com/2019/07/12/far-west-update/

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nessus posted:

This sentence has poor flow and doesn't go anywhere. It's very meandering and I have trouble focusing on it.

Let's get it down to the actual essentials.

Zak S's pants, Gen Con '17.

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Zak S, his butthole wide, his pants dripping!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I just watched Wizards because of this thread. Yikes. Just yikes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just watched Wizards because of this thread. Yikes. Just yikes.

The 70s were a very different time. Try Fritz the Cat next !

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

mllaneza posted:

I'd like to offer another opinion about Fritz The Cat: maybe don't!

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PST posted:

If he just keeps polishing it for a couple years more, he can release Far West on the 10th anniversary of its original projected release date.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mllaneza posted:

Whoa whoa that's too advanced for a rookie Bakshi explorer.

Try Heavy Traffic.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Comrade Koba posted:

If he just keeps polishing it for a couple years more, he can release Far West on the 10th anniversary of its original projected release date.

He should announce an anniversary 2nd edition!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

theironjef posted:

Whoa whoa that's too advanced for a rookie Bakshi explorer.

Try Heavy Traffic.

My parents were too smart to let me watch Wizards, but there is another 70’s era Sci Fi animated film that I saw but I can’t seem to find via google.

The main arc is some kind of hero from the wastes tries to save a mutant village against some unstoppable foe. The big bad thing is some kind of massive organism that captures the hero and tell them that trying to stop them NOW is futile, but the big bad will cocoon the hero for 1000 years or something when the big bad’s cells will start failing and the hero will have a better shot at killing the big bad. I really hope I’m not misremembering something, or smashing a few films together.

The only other thing that stands out is the mutant village has a named character with no head, but rather the eyes and mouth are located in the torso. I want to say it’s also blue, but I don’t know that for sure.

Serf
May 5, 2011

its been maybe 20 years since i saw wizards as a child and all i remember is the final wizard battle and that it ended in the most hilarious way

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nystral posted:

My parents were too smart to let me watch Wizards, but there is another 70’s era Sci Fi animated film that I saw but I can’t seem to find via google.
Mine were okay with me and my brother watching Barbarella.

I don't think they ever sat down and watched it.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Nystral posted:

The main arc is some kind of hero from the wastes tries to save a mutant village against some unstoppable foe. The big bad thing is some kind of massive organism that captures the hero and tell them that trying to stop them NOW is futile, but the big bad will cocoon the hero for 1000 years or something when the big bad’s cells will start failing and the hero will have a better shot at killing the big bad. I really hope I’m not misremembering something, or smashing a few films together.

The only other thing that stands out is the mutant village has a named character with no head, but rather the eyes and mouth are located in the torso. I want to say it’s also blue, but I don’t know that for sure.

Probably Gandahar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandahar_(film)

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Almost certainly Gandahar. That sounds like the Amorphous Metamorphus's scheme.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Serf posted:

its been maybe 20 years since i saw wizards as a child and all i remember is the final wizard battle and that it ended in the most hilarious way
I remember that, how the female lead dressed, and like, some obviously rotoscoped footage of soldiers marching. Which I'm only like 80% sure is from that instead of something else.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Yes this. Thank you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Maybe see noted fantasy illustrator the late great Frank Frazetta's film collaboration with Bakshi, Fire & Ice? Frazetta art*, Bakshi direction, what could go wrong?

Gerry Conway and Roy Thomas wrote the script! Thomas Kinkaide did some backgrounds! Yes, that Thomas Kinkaide!

*rotoscoped live action actually

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PST posted:

Cool! I'll get my copy from backing Alas Vegas any day now.

James Wallis posted:

NOVEMBER 26, 2014
UPDATE #52
Far Out

Hey backers. We're still waiting on the last of the stretch-goal writers and artists to deliver their pieces for Alas Vegas. My small and trusted group of readers and playtesters are reporting back and I'm making changes to the manuscript based on their comments. We are rolling towards completion.

But it's almost Thanksgiving, whatever that is, and I thought it'd be nice to give you long-suffering backers something to show my gratitude for your patience. So here's a thing. There are a number of RPG Kickstarters that have taken far, far too long to deliver on their promises, and I'm pleased to say that another member of the overdue crew is about to finally reach the end of its journey. It's called Far West and it's a well-matured blend of steampunk, spaghetti westerns and wuxia martial-arts movies. And I hope you think that sounds head-kickingly cool, because your premature Christmas present is a free PDF of the Far West rulebook.

For real. Gareth-Michael Skarka, who's behind Far West, and I go back a way, and we put our heads together and cooked up a deal. Everyone who backed Alas Vegas at the PDF level or higher is going to get Far West for free, and all the Far West backers are getting Alas Vegas for free, as soon as they're ready to go. Compliments of the season and the management of both establishments, and thank you for bearing with us during some difficult times.

If you backed both games then we are both supremely grateful to you, and you should drop me a line directly and something bonus will be sorted out.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Don't count on it. After all, James promised a backer-exclusive edition of Baron Munchausen 3rd edition which never manifested, a pre-layout PDF copy of Alas Vegas as soon as the text was finalised which never got sent out, promised that he wouldn't work on Paranoia until Alas Vegas was finished, promised a preview package including Gareth Hanrahan's completed content set (which would have allowed people to play a full Fugue campaign at least) which never manifested...

Expecting to get Far West in any form is already a long shot. Expecting to get Far West when you receiving depends both on Skarka pulling his finger out and finishing the drat thing and on James Wallis keeping a promise to his backers is absurd.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I think he knows that, hence posting an update from nearly five years ago.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Pretty sure I was like 8 when I saw heavy metal and Akira.

Also a lot of horror movies which is why I've always hated the genre.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

PST posted:

I've enjoyed watching the Far West trainwreck for the last many years (seriously, it's like new trains keep showing up and ramming into the old pile), but good for him for finally seeking professional help. I genuinely hope that it helps him and that he can finally finish it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I joined kickstarter because Far West sounded cool. :unsmith:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My first exposure to Far West was the website "Is Far West out yet?" with a comic panel responded "ha ha no." I was sad when that site went down, but happy when I learned just now that someone else continued the vigil.

Pity it probably isn't coming out though, Cowboy Wuxia is a good pitch.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Omnicrom posted:

My first exposure to Far West was the website "Is Far West out yet?" with a comic panel responded "ha ha no." I was sad when that site went down, but happy when I learned just now that someone else continued the vigil.

Pity it probably isn't coming out though, Cowboy Wuxia is a good pitch.

I also remember that GMSkarka got so pissed at said site that he doxxed the owner.

Cuz that'll show your critics, or something.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, I loved the idea of the concept but anything mechanical they have ever said about it just makes me less and less interested. Still, joining kickstarter got me to back a ton of rpg projects so it isn't all bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Libertad! posted:

I also remember that GMSkarka got so pissed at said site that he doxxed the owner.

Cuz that'll show your critics, or something.
Was that when he ended up doxxing a farmhouse in the middle of nowhere in Iceland, that (of course) had nothing to do with Far West, Skarka, or gaming? Because that was some funny poo poo.