Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

bushisms.txt posted:

My etika shirt came in

Need one for Tilt Control Bois

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dragon Quest Builders 2 takes forever to load and the frame rate thanks a lot of the time.

I'm enjoying it so far. Quite a few QoL improvements over the first.
Real weird that white text on black background spoils your companions identity about 30 minutes in during a transition to the farming island.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2 takes forever to load and the frame rate thanks a lot of the time.

I'm enjoying it so far. Quite a few QoL improvements over the first.
Real weird that white text on black background spoils your companions identity about 30 minutes in during a transition to the farming island.

It's not supposed to be a secret

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was a joke about the political ideology of the Mushroom Kingdom

You do not loving joke about Mushroom Kingdom politics, Princess Peach will not hesitate to have you loving killed if you talk poo poo about her leadership.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

But since I have a deathwish Princess Peach is a lovely leader and the Mushroom Kingdom should overthrow their despot leader and establish democracy or get absorbed into Sarasaland, as Princess Daisy knows how to rule a drat kingdom.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I realize the game is month's old now, but I've finally delved deep into Wargroove and it's really not the Advance Wars killer, we all wanted, but it's not all that bad either. So here's a longish review.

The biggest fault with the game is level design and balance. I still have to play around more with the systems and there are undoubtedly strategies I'm missing, but there seems to be a couple of overly useful units, and others that just don't have much of a role. In particular the AA-equivalent the Mage, and the B-copter equivalent, the Aeronaut, are far too good for their price compared to the other units. The former may not have much defense, but they attack nearly other unit for a decent enough amount, move farther than pretty much any other infantry, can capture, and heal (at a cost). The latter is nearly untouchable by most units and does fair enough damage to just about anything.

It's not broken necessarily, but it does mean there are a lot of units I just don't bother using. That, and the map design in the campaign is far far too long. The level design is generally a problem in the game. I can only imagine how hard it is to design levels for these type of games and Intelligent Systems is the best at it, so it's an unfair comparison, but I don't quite think Chucklefish got it. Again, nothing is necessarily unfair (well... there's the matter of reinforcements), but it does take the fun out of the campaign at times, since both getting a winning condition can be a slog, or even just moving across an overly large map can take far too long.

That aside I really appreciate the atmosphere of the game. It's incredibly charming, and they nailed the "war is fun" attitude that the Wars series has too. It was always really funny to me how cutesy Intelligent Systems managed to make their game about such a serious matter. Wargroove manages it just fine and the voicework, spritework, and music all works very well. Everyone was super excited about the dog unit(s), but honestly they are incredibly cute and heart-warming, and the game does it best to remind us of this.

Plus, it's an incredibly complete game. We often complain about indie games being too short or lacking in content, but this thing has three full game modes, a richly text-filled codex, online and local multiplayer, and a stupidly robust map and campaign maker That's not saying much, like I said designing these maps must be a bitch, but I looked through the maps people made and there's a lot being offered (even if it's a lot of rips from Intelligent Systems). The campaign maker mode is also very cool with people making their own cutscenes.

So the game is very fleshed out and ample and will eat up a lot of your time. It doesn't fill the gap of great-turn based strategy, and it's not quite the mix of FE and AW that I think they were going for, but ultimately it's not bad. It plays well enough, and for the price and the charm, if you're somewhat interested in the genre you could do worse. Just don't come expecting an Intelligent Systems game. It's both different and just not quite as good.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Any fun coop games to play locally? Was thinking of picking up Stardew Valley but I don't know if it's local coop.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Mega64 posted:

You do not loving joke about Mushroom Kingdom politics, Princess Peach will not hesitate to have you loving killed if you talk poo poo about her leadership.

The Mushroom Kingdom is run by war criminals

https://youtu.be/VPY9R_yyiEM

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mega64 posted:

But since I have a deathwish Princess Peach is a lovely leader and the Mushroom Kingdom should overthrow their despot leader and establish democracy or get absorbed into Sarasaland, as Princess Daisy knows how to rule a drat kingdom.

Sarasaland has way more messed up enemies. Turtles that have bombs for shells and hopping human vampires despite the Mario Brothers and Princess Daisy being the only humans.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Qubee posted:

Any fun coop games to play locally? Was thinking of picking up Stardew Valley but I don't know if it's local coop.

final fantasy 9 :unsmigghh:

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Qubee posted:

Enter the gungeon

Toejam and Earl?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

are there no pc engine/tg16 games on the switch in any form? thats kinda too bad

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Qubee posted:

Snipperclips was a launch title and it's still fun and good. There's also the Capcom beat 'em up collection, and the Warriors games, if you (plural) like either of those genres. I'm not sure how well Warriors games run split screen on the Switch, though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DLC Inc posted:

what the gently caress ever happened with that SNES game datamine

https://twitter.com/the_hopoo/status/1111874716627681280?s=17

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I posted this elsewhere, but if anyone listens to Waypoint, Austin Walker basically completely sold me on Fire Emblem in Monday's episode. The school stuff sounds like it leads to fun unit customization, and there are QOL changes that sound really great, like an Into the Breach style limited turn rewind. Also they got rid of the weapon triangle which somehow I didn't know?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

I posted this elsewhere, but if anyone listens to Waypoint, Austin Walker basically completely sold me on Fire Emblem in Monday's episode. The school stuff sounds like it leads to fun unit customization, and there are QOL changes that sound really great, like an Into the Breach style limited turn rewind. Also they got rid of the weapon triangle which somehow I didn't know?

I guess some of the devs were pegasus rider fans and were getting tired of having not one but two weaknesses that all but one-shot you

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Zas posted:

are there no pc engine/tg16 games on the switch in any form? thats kinda too bad

Sorry, you'll have to buy the mini console instead.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah the rewind was in the last game, Shadows of Valentia, and it's an incredibly good feature. If permadeath/resetting ever stopped you playing Fire Emblem, that's basically a solved problem now.

(in my opinion, etc etc)

edit: SoV also didn't have the weapon triangle, but that's because it was a remake of a game that came out before they put the weapon triangle in.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1151466317876224000?s=19

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
sweet. not worth an upgrade for me but the battery life is one of the biggest weaknesses

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If there is no disparity between game performance then I don’t care, I’m never, like, trapped on a boat all day with nothing to do but play Switch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bust Rodd posted:

If there is no disparity between game performance then I don’t care, I’m never, like, trapped on a boat all day with nothing to do but play Switch.

Performance profiles almost certainly the same but I bet it runs cooler and uses the fan less. Nothing I am going to go out of my way for personally though

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A decent, practical upgrade, but not worth $300 if you already own one

Also probably has scads of anti-homebrew measures

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Gluten Freeman posted:

Yeah the rewind was in the last game, Shadows of Valentia, and it's an incredibly good feature. If permadeath/resetting ever stopped you playing Fire Emblem, that's basically a solved problem now.

(in my opinion, etc etc)

edit: SoV also didn't have the weapon triangle, but that's because it was a remake of a game that came out before they put the weapon triangle in.

I'm a little annoyed about the rewind because one of my biggest pet peeves is people ignoring hit/crit rate and then getting outraged that the RNG bullshit killed them their 20th time attacking an enemy with 5% chance to crit, and the rewind seems like it'll just encourage people to keep trying until the dice roll in their favor instead of actually playing around it. On the other hand Fire Emblem has been moving away from being a strategy game for a while now so I should probably stop yelling at clouds.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Snake Maze posted:

I'm a little annoyed about the rewind because one of my biggest pet peeves is people ignoring hit/crit rate and then getting outraged that the RNG bullshit killed them their 20th time attacking an enemy with 5% chance to crit, and the rewind seems like it'll just encourage people to keep trying until the dice roll in their favor instead of actually playing around it. On the other hand Fire Emblem has been moving away from being a strategy game for a while now so I should probably stop yelling at clouds.

It doesn't change RNG though (I don't think, anyway?). I actually think it's good precisely because it does make people learn from their mistakes. Before, if you hosed up really bad you'd have to reset the game, and the frustration from having to do that probably made a lot of people drop the game. Now, you don't have to restart at all, you can immediately see your mistake and correct it.

I mean some people are always going to play a game "wrong" but I don't really think that matters if it doesn't have any impact on how you play the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Not a Children posted:

A decent, practical upgrade, but not worth $300 if you already own one

Also probably has scads of anti-homebrew measures

It's not really an upgrade so much as what'd normally be a discreet model revision. Being a handheld device just makes changing the internal components noticeable to the average user because of the improved battery life.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Qubee posted:

Blazing Chrome looks p rad for local co-op

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1151461807132938240?s=21

Purple/orange is 🔥🔥🔥

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait, they release a new model designed only for portable/handheld use but has not much better battery life than the original

THEN they release an original revision extending the battery life hours longer the new handheld only model?

:psyduck:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BurgerQuest posted:

Wait, they release a new model designed only for portable/handheld use but has not much better battery life than the original

THEN they release an original revision extending the battery life hours longer the new handheld only model?

Batteries take space

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ll wait for the year’s 5th revision before upgrading.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Excuse me, they're clearly Purple/Spice JoyCons :colbert:.

BurgerQuest posted:

THEN they release an original revision extending the battery life beyond the new handheld only model?

Larger device = larger battery. But yeah, it's not really a good bit of marketing for pushing a Lite when the original model just outshines it even harder. Not to mention there'll probably be a decent sale or two in the near future after the new revised model releases to discreetly purge the original model off store shelves.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sorry about your wallet Lobster.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sucks if you are not really an informed consumer and you buy one of the old ones after the new one comes out. I'm sure you can tell by some numbers on the box or something but most people will never notice.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So has Nintendo made any comments about Joy Con Drift? Will these new colored joycons not drift so quickly?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Man, I really want that purple/spice controller combo but I have absolutely no need for it and will not spend $80 just for new colors. I will not!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

why do they always make it so you can't pair the best colours!! let me have my pink and purple joycons!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Man, I really want that purple/spice controller combo but I have absolutely no need for it and will not spend $80 just for new colors. I will not!

The trick is to hope for a JoyCon/Game bundle like with Super Mario Party and wait for a discount. It's how I self-justified getting the Splatoon-coloured Pink/Green JoyCon set, because at $120AUD how could I not? :shepspends:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Gluten Freeman posted:

why do they always make it so you can't pair the best colours!! let me have my pink and purple joycons!

They really should have an online shop where you can mix and match color combination of joycons, but that's asking a lot of a giant, international corporation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want Orange and Blue, War Eagle